The Next Best Book Club discussion

Comments (showing 1-50 of 424) (424 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

message 1: by Eden (new)

Eden (Tsalagi_Writer) | 207 comments My boyfriend and I have 5 hamsters. 3 males and 2 females. There really cute and do some crazy things, but they are really good pets.

Does anyone here have some pets?

message 2: by Diane D. (last edited Jun 08, 2009 08:59PM) (new)

Diane D. Hi Eden! I am so glad you started this thread. Yes, I have (at home) 2 cats. One pictured here (Heidi) and one black and white tuxedo boy (Dougy). I would like to post him as my pic, but I'm afraid no one will know it's me.
I also am an active volunteer at an animal rescue organization, so there are lots of dogs and cats at the rescue that I help get ready for their new forever homes. (that is why I say I have 2 "at home" because there are many more at the rescue)
I'll bet you here from a lot of members !

message 3: by Eden (new)

Eden (Tsalagi_Writer) | 207 comments Diane wrote: "Hi Eden! I am so glad you started this thread. Yes, I have (at home) 2 cats. One pictured here (Heidi) and one black and white tuxedo boy (Dougy). I would like to post him as my pic, but I'm afra..."

I think that's really great your a volunteer at an animal rescue organization. I'd like to be involved in an animal rescue one day because I love animals and want to help them.

message 4: by Terence (new)

Terence (Spocksbro) Hah! Pikers, slackers, gold-bricking layabouts :-)

I live with 9 cats (deep breath - Cassie, Emma, Calvin, Meggie, Malcolm, Irene, Oberon, Puck, Miss Gray), all of whom I've rescued in various ways from the awful streets of LA.

I used to work with a foster-pet organization but it got too depressing.

Petra X smokin' hot (PetraX) I have two official cats and 1(+6) others. My cats are Lily and Tallulah. Lily is a big fat ginger cat who is very lazy and affectionate, not at all graceful and fights anything that moves if she's in the mood. Tallulah is much younger, a tabby and knows she's not the boss around here.

The 1(+6) is Miss Winnie who has no front teeth and is 'owned' by a neighbour who couldn't care less about her so I feed her and she sleeps on a pillow on my porch. Unfortunately Lily won't tolerate her in the house so since she is heavily pregnant (the +6) she has to go to the animal shelter tomorrow. They don't put animals to sleep and I may bring her back here later.

message 6: by Diane D. (last edited Jun 08, 2009 10:22PM) (new)

Diane D. Terence wrote: "Hah! Pikers, slackers, gold-bricking layabouts :-)

I live with 9 cats (deep breath - Cassie, Emma, Calvin, Meggie, Malcolm, Irene, Oberon, Puck, Miss Gray), all of whom I've rescued in various w..."

Hi Terence! AHA - now that I know you are in LA.... me too! I love hearing that you have NINE and all rescued from the LA streets. Fostering? I would be a foster failure.

Petra, you're like me - two "official" cats. How lucky is Miss Winnie to have you for a neighbor. Will you have her spayed after she has her kittens?

Eden, I have no experience with raising hampsters. How do you keep them entertained (or vice versa). I'm sure you can find a rescue organization that would love to have you when you are ready to volunteer.

How old are everyone's cats and hampsters?

message 7: by Eden (new)

Eden (Tsalagi_Writer) | 207 comments Diane wrote: "Terence wrote: "Hah! Pikers, slackers, gold-bricking layabouts :-)

I live with 9 cats (deep breath - Cassie, Emma, Calvin, Meggie, Malcolm, Irene, Oberon, Puck, Miss Gray), all of whom I've resc..."

Well, hamsters aren't hard to please. They really just like to get out of their cage and sit with you, or run around whenever your sitting. I let my hamsters run on my bed and I let them run around on the floor in their balls and they also seem to like watching tv with me and my boyfriend.

And 2 of my male hamsters, Luke and Vivi, are a little over a year old. The other male hamster, Arc, is about 7 months old and the 2 females are 6, or 7 months old.

message 8: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) No pets, alas. I'm a cat person, but my husband is definitely not. I wouldn't mind a dog, but I don't like the idea of keeping a dog in the city, for any number of reasons, but mostly because no one is at home enough (although I have been lately) and it's not fair to keep a dog cooped up in the apartment all day.

message 9: by Lori, Super Mod (last edited Jun 09, 2009 05:08AM) (new)

Lori (TNBBC) | 8563 comments Mod
My taste in pets tends to be a bit off from the norm.
I used to have 3 ferrets (I love those little wiry guys)...

We currently have a fish my oldest son won at a local carnival when he was three. He is eleven now, so the darn fish is 8 years old!! Its huge too!

And we have a 4 1/2 foot Iguana who is turning 4 soon. He used to be pretty tame and easy going, would climb out of his tank and onto me, let me hand feed him, take baths in the tub, walk around the house... but once he turned 3.. he became very nasty and aggressive. He's bitten me more times than I like to remember, and actually attacks me as I attempt to feed him. Grrrr...... I obviously cant let him out anymore, and I feel awful about him being locked up all the time, but I try to make hand contact with him as often as I can (without losing a finger or chunk of my arm!!)

Not to mention my brother made him an awesomely large enclosure so he has some room to stretch out and get comfy!

message 10: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) needs a mate, maybe?

message 11: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

I think he would kill it! HA!
I believe, could be wrong tho, that you cant introduce new iguanas to a tank... It becomes a possesive kinda thing.

message 12: by Sara (last edited Jun 09, 2009 08:45AM) (new)

Sara (thecrazygal) | 649 comments I don't have any now, but I've had

cats
birds (parakeets, 'wild' birds)
a rabbit
mouse
lizards (anole(sp?) annole ... something like that)
hamsters
fish
frogs
toads

and I <3'd them all.

message 13: by Jess (new)

Jess Michaelangelo I have a dog (a Westie) named Shiloh...he's still a little ball of energy at 9! I also have a tabby cat (Theo) who we took in off the street two summers ago...he had been abused, so we took it upon ourselves to offer him a new home.

I'm a softie towards animals...which is why I'm going to school to become a veterinarian some day!

message 14: by Justine (new)

Justine (paperbackheart) I have one cat right now. Her name is Reggie and she just turned three. She has a calico print from her ears to her tail, just on her back. Her hobbies include: playing with her water, pooping on the floor, playing fetch and taking her collar off.
I rescued her/maybe snuck her illegally into the country. I believe the girl I got her from brought her over from TJ.
When I got her fixed a few years ago, they cut some tendon or muscle in her belly, so one half of it is very droopy and she's ashamed of it. She now spends the day sleeping under blankets on the bed and I accidentally sit on her once a day.

I have been thinking about volunteering at various animal shelters around the county, but I would end up taking too many home or crying every single day.

message 15: by El (new)

El My boyfriend and I are HUGE dog lovers, but only have three. The brother and sister chow-husky mixes my boyfriend has had since they were 10 weeks old, and then together we adopted a Siberian husky from the animal shelter a few years ago when she was 5 or 6. The two "original" dogs don't care for the newer husky much; plus she's crazy (super abused over the years and we are her fifth parents; what time wasn't spent living with those other people, she was stuck in shelters waiting to be loved) and doesn't have the right dog socialization skills so there are some issues there. But they are all our babies, and I naturally feel an inclination to "save" the abused husky. It's been a real trial over the years, but I try to understand her psychologically. She has both mental and some physical issues contributing to her anxiety and tension, but we do our best.

message 16: by Diane D. (last edited Jun 09, 2009 11:38AM) (new)

Diane D. Wow, I love everyone's postings. Especially love reading that even though some pets might have some 'issues', no one has given up on them and loves them in spite of their shortcomings (even if they bite you as you try to feed them, Lori!)

In my picture is Heidi and she is 10 1/2. Similar to El's comment, we were Heidi's 4th parents, and we got her when she was only 4 months old! She is very spry and active for her age and I tell her 10 is the new 5. LOL.

Dougy, black and white tuxedo handsome boy, is 4 1/2. We got him from where I do my volunteering. Dougy has kidney issues but doesn't know it. He's an easy patient to care for and has a HUGE personality.

message 17: by Morgan P (last edited Jun 09, 2009 12:54PM) (new)

Morgan P | 173 comments I love my pets! I have two cats and two dogs. My dog pictured here is Molly. My other dog is Sugar. They are both mutts, and around the same age, 5 or 6. Molly is my baby. She has a lot of personality. For a dog.

My cats are Boots and Muffin. Boots is about 6 or 7, and Muffin is the senior, at around 9 or 10. All of Boots' feet are white. Thats why we named heer Boots. Muffin is tortoise-shell colored. I got her when I was about 5, and I wanted to name her Pretty Flower, after the skunk in Bambi. :-)

message 18: by JSou (new)

JSou (WickenburgAZ) Lori wrote: "My taste in pets tends to be a bit off from the norm.

We currently have a fish my oldest son won at a local carnival when he was th..."

I have ferrets too! Well, I only have one now, we had to put one to sleep just last month. :( I think they make great pets! All the little tricks they do, and they're great cuddlers (when they're in the mood!) They will hide everything they can possible get though...it's actually pretty funny some of the things I've found in different places.

My kids are BEGGING me to get them a puppy, which I would actually love, but at the same time, keep remembering how much work it actually is....:)

message 19: by Lori, Super Mod (last edited Jun 09, 2009 02:49PM) (new)

Jessica, The three I had were great.

The oldest one I had got some stomach disorder, where he threw up everything and became skin and bones. THe vet specialized in exotic pets but nothing we tryed worked. I had to put him down.
The middle one ended up with some blood clot disorder and died over nite at the vets. so sad.
The last one had a stroke and we put her down.

They dont seem to last more than three or four years without contracting some strange illness....
I miss my old guy, Farley... Farley

Ferret literally means Little Thief, and they sure are, arent they? They would steal anything small enough for them to pull, and hide it in every possible spot they could!

message 20: by Jensownzoo (new)

Jensownzoo | 338 comments I've got one nutty dog (lab/shepherd mix...it was a given). Tankful of fish. Planning on getting a blue-tongued skink in the near future...I need another lap lizard (my iguana died last year from heart disease). I love ferrets too, but my house is in no way shape or form ferret-proof so unlikely to add one to my personal zoo.

Until very recently I had nine cats (Jack, Boo, Ernie, Naomi, Bugs Kitty, Elly Belly, Aspen, Susie, Clea) but I adopted a 15yo cat (Missy) for hospice care since her tumors are inoperable. Except for some arthritis in her hips (currently on meds for that to keep her comfortable) she doesn't show any signs of illness except getting a bit skinny, so as long as she isn't suffering she's my cat.

message 21: by Felina (new)

Felina I have two Cats. One named Baby Elliott (who is no longer a baby, but cute as one still) and Alex Higgins. My profile picture is actually Alex.

message 22: by Felina (new)

Felina Jensownzoo wrote: "I've got one nutty dog (lab/shepherd mix...it was a given). Tankful of fish. Planning on getting a blue-tongued skink in the near future...I need another lap lizard (my iguana died last year from..."

As a HUGE cat person I say God bless you for taking care of that poor cat!

Petra X smokin' hot (PetraX) Diane wrote: "Petra, you're like me - two "official" cats. How lucky is Miss Winnie to have you for a neighbor. Will you have her spayed after she has her kittens?

I took her to the Animal Shelter today and was told that they would euthanise her unless she was spayed when the vet comes to the island on Friday. By spayed they also mean abort her kittens. So I paid $95 for her to be spayed but asked them to try and get her a home and if they can't then phone me in two weeks.

I didn't like knowing the kittens would be aborted when the cat is so close to term but I thought better one of the cats live than none of them. I don't feel good about it though.

message 24: by JSou (new)

JSou (WickenburgAZ) Lori wrote: "Jessica, The three I had were great.

The oldest one I had got some stomach disorder, where he threw up everything and became skin and bones. THe vet specialized in exotic pets but nothing we tr..."

He's so adorable, Lori! He has the cutest little face! Here's mine hiding in one of my drawers.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I still have the albino, Max, but the other one was the one we just had to put down. You're right about the strange illnesses...she ended up with a type of pancreatic cancer.

message 25: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne Teague (ateague) | 407 comments I have a 10 year old Boxer/Lab mix named Chloe, and 2 cats. Skye is a 15 year old Tonkinese and Darken is a 4 year old Black short hair. He is a handful.

message 26: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) | 1046 comments I have a two-year-old cat named Jasmine. I got her from a not then friend. She was raised by a druggie family (fed her dog food), and he took her so she wouldn't have to go to the pound. The new owner was going to shoo her out the door into the outside world. I couldn't let that happen, so I took her in. I had never had a cat before, but I absolutely love Jasmine. I'm so glad I found her. She is the joy of my life.

message 27: by Lisa Julianna (new)

Lisa Julianna (LisaJulianna) | 1053 comments We have 5 dogs, 1 basset hound, 2 blood hounds and 2 miniature dauchsunds. We also have a box turtle which is my son's, and we have fish.

I love them all :~)

message 28: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Jessica, your colored one looked like my middle one.
Does the albino act differently now that his/her roommate is gone? When I put Farley (the one in the picture) down, the other two started acted a little differently.

Sorry to hear you had to put yours down.

message 29: by Grace (new)

Grace (LovecraftLass) | 854 comments I have a little sweetie of a cat named Aeris (from Final Fantasy 7). Just had her fixed today so she's all goofy and groggy today.

message 30: by Coco (new)

Coco (Coco_) | 19 comments You guys are all amazing! Terence, you're my idol! What a good thing you do. My neighbor fosters Giant Rescue dogs and keeps trying to market them to my kids. I found a home with a co-worker for the last one so we didn't get him!

We now have a dog, who we've had since he was a puppy, but he still has issues. He doesn't play well with others and tends to be barky and dumb. He's just a wingnut, but we love him. We have our 12-year-old cat and a recent addition, my daughter's Beta fish. We lost our 15-year-old dog and two hamsters a couple years ago and still miss them. I nursed our last Beta fish through two bouts of Ick (a fish disease) and he rests in a grave in our garden. My kids think I'm mean because I just said no to getting a llama (we live in the suburbs). I guess you could say we're animal people.

message 31: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Ellis | 177 comments We have two amazingly loving black labrador dogs.

message 32: by Roseann (new)

Roseann | 397 comments I have a little black and tan Pomeranian named "Spike" alias CLD (cute little dog).

message 33: by Diane D. (new)

Diane D. Coco wrote: "You guys are all amazing! Terence, you're my idol! What a good thing you do. My neighbor fosters Giant Rescue dogs and keeps trying to market them to my kids. I found a home with a co-worker for..."

All I can say is that I agree with Coco - You guys are all AMAZING.

Eden - I told you that you would hear from lots of folks! Great thread!

message 34: by Diane D. (new)

Diane D. Petra X wrote: "Diane wrote: "Petra, you're like me - two "official" cats. How lucky is Miss Winnie to have you for a neighbor. Will you have her spayed after she has her kittens?

I took her to the Animal Shel..."

Petra, I understand your feelings about the kitties being aborted. Unfortunately, that happens alot; I see that a lot being in rescue. Please try to feel good about saving her; do you realize how many lives you've saved by having spayed? Thousands. Think about it - one cat having a litter of 6....and on and on it goes from there. I hope that makes you feel better about your decision.

message 35: by Diane D. (new)

Diane D. Jessica wrote: "Lori wrote: "My taste in pets tends to be a bit off from the norm.

We currently have a fish my oldest son won at a local carnival w..."

Jessica - A puppy is a lot of work....wouldn't they be happy with a young dog, say a year or 2 or 3...will still have plenty of energy to play with the kids, but you won't have to work with all the puppy training.

message 36: by Angela (new)

Angela | 1934 comments I have a cat named Guinness, but we (my husband and me) also call him Mr. Buddy because he follows one of us everywhere we go. If I am in the computer room, so is he, if I am in the living room, so is he. He has a personality like a dog because he greets us when we get home and loves to play catch. He will take one of my hair things from the counter and set it on my lap or near me and then run backwards and look at me like "throw it". It is really cute. We have had him almost 6 years. I am afraid that when we have kids he will be extremely jealous.

message 37: by Coco (new)

Coco (Coco_) | 19 comments Eden, thanks again for starting this. Pets are a great way to get to know about their people!

message 38: by JSou (new)

JSou (WickenburgAZ) @ Lori: Yeah, he does act a lot differently now that she's gone. I bought them together about 3 years ago, so he's always had her. He's really the wild & crazy one, but lately he's really calmed down and just seems sad...I've been making sure to give him lots of extra love and playtime!

@ Diane: I'm actually really considering getting an older dog. Not worrying about housetraining and everything getting chewed up would be great! Plus, I would never feel right about spending so much money on a puppy, when there are so many good dogs in shelters. As a single mom, it'd be nice having a kind of a "watchdog" as well, just to let us know if anything's going on!

message 39: by Marci (new)

Marci (iread49) | 215 comments I have 3 dogs and 2 cats. My dogs are a Brittany(Booker)sooo smart it is scary and 2 Spinone Italiano(Enzo and Luca) not as gifted in the brain department but the biggest goofiest love bugs. So much love I can ignore the spit 5 or 6ft on the walls, hair etc...
My cats are Luna who is crazy... My son made a "Luna's Doomsday Box - Beware of Cat" for her to sleep in. Right now she is laying on my desk sleeping on my work papers hence I am writing to all of you...yes a very flimsy excuse. Last but not least Giorgio a cat who follows my son around like a dog. Love them all!!!

message 40: by Maureen (new)

Maureen My husband has had his black, long-haired cat (Onyx) for about 7 years. When we first were married ~ 1 1/2 years ago, I used to refer to Onyx as "my husband's cat." (I'm not really a cat person, never have been.) But, Onyx has definitely grown on me. We had a major scary episode with him last summer - we had our hardwood floors refinished, and Onyx was confined to the basement for a couple of days. We think the confinement, plus the fumes, got to him. He stopped eating and started losing weight rapidly. We had to have a feeding tube inserted and feed him liquified cat food through it. You've never seen a more pathetic looking putter-tat. We really thought we were going to lose him. Thankfully, he pulled through, and he's now better than ever. After going through all of that, I've now started referring to Onyx as "our cat."

message 41: by Dara (new)

Dara | 88 comments Oh...I loveeeee my furbabies! We have become somewhat of a rescue in our own right. First we acquired my grandma's Australian Cattle Dog (Lady)when my grandma moved into assisted living about 5 yrs ago. Then a couple months later took, literally confiscated, our Chihuahua (they named her Baby Hannah...blech...we call her Hannah-Fish, Fishy-Fishy, or just Fish...long story on that one! lol) when a friends exwife was going to dump her in the country in the middle of winter, then he took her and kept her caged in the upstairs of his bar where he lived, 24/7..so we took her and never gave her back. Then the same idiot/friend got a chocolate lab who is just now 2yrs old. She is allowed to run in the fields around his bar/sports complex and he didn't have the brains to get her fixed so shock...she ended up pregnant. She gave birth to a litter of 11 on Good Friday. The following Monday she kicked one of the pups out of the litter and kept pushing her away. She wouldn't have lived a couple more hours and my significant other and daughter brought her home where I bottle fed her back to health. Chloe is now almost 9 wks old and going to get her first shots. The idea was that we nursed her back to health and then found a home for her...I think it was the other way around...we found a home for her (here) and nursed her back to health. She looks completely like a black lab. We think daddy was a lab/rot mix, but she has no characteristics at all of a rot and she is the most loving, cutest baby you ever saw. Oh...I got off track, Lady got out of the yard 2 1/2 yrs ago and got hit by a car, we had to put her down. After a couple weeks of Hannah-Fish cryingggg horribly we found another mutt from a rescue shelter. His name is Domino and is is truly a rescue, looks like he might have some cattle dog in him, some schnauzer look in the face, real soft hair like a cocker...who knows. They are all just lovers...

message 42: by Diane D. (new)

Diane D. Dara wrote: "Oh...I loveeeee my furbabies! We have become somewhat of a rescue in our own right. First we acquired my grandma's Australian Cattle Dog (Lady)when my grandma moved into assisted living about 5 yr..."

Regarding Chloe - you are a foster failure :)
I just love the word "fur baby" !

message 43: by Diane D. (new)

Diane D. Maureen wrote: "My husband has had his black, long-haired cat (Onyx) for about 7 years. When we first were married ~ 1 1/2 years ago, I used to refer to Onyx as "my husband's cat." (I'm not really a cat person, ne..."

So glad "your" Onyx pulled through Maureen!

message 44: by Diane D. (new)

Diane D. I love everyone's postings so much. I'm a book and critter-aholic! I think we all are!

message 45: by Dara (new)

Dara | 88 comments Diane wrote: "Dara wrote: "Oh...I loveeeee my furbabies! We have become somewhat of a rescue in our own right. First we acquired my grandma's Australian Cattle Dog (Lady)when my grandma moved into assisted livi..."

Yeah I could never foster animals...not that I wouldn't love to...I just wouldn't want them to leave! lol

message 46: by James (new)

James Wilkinson | 52 comments Me and my wife have two cats named Gizmo and Chase. They are both males and very rambunctious. We can't let them out, as we have no garden and are close to a main road. They are quite content though, tearing shreds out of each other and destroying our furniture (declawing is illegal in the UK)

message 47: by Emily (new)

Emily My boyfriend and I have two cats; Stewie, age 5, a gray and white tuxedo who I rescued from an ex-boyfriend's horrid family when he was 6 weeks old. He thinks he is a dog, plays fetch with his ball in the house and licks my face to wake me up every morning. Our newest addition, Rupert, is 7 months old and we just got him from the shelter a few weeks ago, he's definitely made our house a bit more lively.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

message 48: by Kristin (new)

Kristin Gansor (kgansor) | 308 comments http://s151.photobucket.com/albums/s1...

http://s151.photobucket.com/albums/s1...

I just have a ton of pictures in my account in general. I could never pick just a picture to put up here so feel free to go through there and look at everything :D
http://s151.photobucket.com/albums/s1...

message 49: by Kristin (new)

Kristin Gansor (kgansor) | 308 comments whenever we get a house to finally settle in i want farm animals, goats, chickens (the chicken with pants, kind-thats what i call the ones that have the feathers on their legs) id like to have a llama or two, and a cow and horse or two also. and a duck lol

message 50: by Liz (Consumed by Books) (last edited Jun 12, 2009 01:23PM) (new)

Liz (Consumed by Books) | 864 comments My family has a dog named Troy...he's roughly 12 or 13. When we got him at the humane society, they claimed that he was a year old, but he had too much puppy in him at the time for that to be true. I've been abroad in Engand all year and haven't been home, so I haven't seen him since October :(
Photobucket
Also, not that it'll happen any time soon, but if my boyfriend and I ever move in together, we intend to get a puppy and a kitten. He figures if they grow up together they'll get along.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9