The Emperor's Children The Emperor's Children discussion

Painful

Comments (showing 1-10 of 10) (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Annie I thought this book was painful to read from cover to cover. It seemed as though the author was trying to create a relationship between the reader and the characters by going into great depth describing the flaws of each. I found myself cringing equally with every description of Booties body habitus, Murray's egotism, Danielle's naivety, Julius' self prostitution and Marina's narcissism. Overall- painful.

message 2: by Tj (new) - rated it 1 star

Tj I agree! I just threw it across the room (avoiding children and animals of course!). I only made it through 75 pages before giving up...you were brave!

Wendi I completely, completely agree with your statement.

Anna I laugh because I wanted to throw it across the room too... but I didn't. I decided Messud wanted to illustrate what 30 somethings are like who grew up int the 80's. If so, it's a grim picture. The reviews said something about humor. I never found it.

message 5: by kiki (new) - rated it 1 star

kiki i got through two chapters and then sold the book back to the bookstore. HOW did this make it on to the bestseller list? pure crap, if you ask me!

Christie I'd been looking at this book for ages and finally bought it, only to be disappointed. The characters seemed to transform without any really experience to justify it.

message 7: by Maddieson (new) - added it

Maddieson It was honestly painful for me as well. It felt like a chore. When I start a book I feel the need to finish, no matter how I feel about it. Each time I'd pull this book out of my bag I had to groan.

I've never disliked a book as much as I have this one. I understand it paints a sad picture, and I see nothing wrong with depressing novels when done well...but there was absolutely nothing to fall in love with, not even the writing style. Each character was irritating, and the writing itself felt unreal and hardly relatable. This book is lifeless.

Stephanie Awful, awful, awful...very painful...I kept reading it hoping it would get better...never did, even the ending sucked.

message 9: by Niche (new)

Niche My mom gave it to me for my birthday. I feel awful that I returned it but it would appear that I made the right decision.

message 10: by Tara (new) - rated it 1 star

Tara I'm beginning to agree with you all. I feel exactly how Maddie described in the first paragraph of her message! I feel like such a quitter even thinking of putting it down, though! I'm grappling wiht myself on this one. For now I'm resigned to groaning as I pick it back up every evening from my bedside table. . .

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Emperor's Children (other topics)