The History Book Club discussion

CURRENT EVENTS AND POLITICS > TODAY IN THE NEWS

Comments (showing 2604-2653)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 53 54

message 2653: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Bentley | 29429 comments I understand

message 2652: by André (new)

André (AndrH) | 2531 comments Bentley wrote: "Some folks Andre are totally obtuse."

Very true, Bentley. Although we all know they exist their behavior keeps surprising me time and again.
Needless to say I stopped watching regular TV ages ago.

message 2651: by Monica (new)

Monica Gurdjian (goodreadscomNoLabels_Monica) | 3 comments Teri wrote: "Archaeologists find the gate to Goliath's hometown
Elizabeth Armstrong Moore, Newser staff 9:39 a.m. EDT August 4, 2015

Fascinating post.

(NEWSER) – An archaeological dig now in its 20th year has uncovered the en..."

message 2650: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Bentley | 29429 comments Some folks Andre are totally obtuse.

message 2649: by Teri, Assisting Moderator - (T) - HF/Cur. Evts/Mid East/Religions/US (new)

Teri (teriboop) | 1585 comments Wholeheartedly agree.

message 2648: by André (last edited 19 hours, 3 min ago) (new)

André (AndrH) | 2531 comments Teri wrote: "Are we not teaching our youth well enough?..."

I remember when AIDS was still a big unknown to most a German youth talk show had invited two men suffering from the disease and looking very ill.
It didn't stop guests sitting behind the two from waving into the camera and smiling...

In the Auschwitz case people surely meant well. They just didn't use their brain cells...
Not that it would be hard to make the connection, especially when working at the site...

message 2647: by Teri, Assisting Moderator - (T) - HF/Cur. Evts/Mid East/Religions/US (new)

Teri (teriboop) | 1585 comments Holy crap! I know I've seen articles on how people have taken "selfies" usually smiling at solemn historical/remembrance sites. I think that younger generations maybe don't realize the full-breadth of what they are seeing. Are we not teaching our youth well enough? Has so much time passed that the younger gens don't understand just how devastating these events were? Hard to say. I completely understand why many visitors were shocked. Thanks for sharing.

message 2646: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Bentley | 29429 comments Very strange indeed.

message 2645: by André (new)

André (AndrH) | 2531 comments Management at Auschwitz thought it a good idea to place showers in front of the site giving people a chance to cool off during hot summer days.
Needless to say many visitors were shocked...

http://www.jpost.com/Diaspora/Showers...

message 2644: by Jill, Assisting Moderator - Military Hist L/Global NF/Eur/Brit/Music (last edited Aug 30, 2015 11:44AM) (new)

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) | 9724 comments There is another social media/internet death hoax floating around. The great actor with the world's greatest voice, James Earl Jones is not dead. It seems to be the latest craze to falsely report the deaths of celebrities.

message 2643: by Charles (new)

Charles Francis (ROBCIS) | 7 comments A great author is now bringing reading joy in the next reality.

message 2642: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Bentley | 29429 comments Thank you for the post

message 2641: by André (last edited Aug 30, 2015 04:09AM) (new)

André (AndrH) | 2531 comments Oliver Sacks Oliver Sacks

Popular neurologist and author Oliver Sacks has passed away.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/31/sci...

An article by Oliver Sacks: The Joy Of Old Age (No Kidding) (from 2013 when he turned 80):
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/07/opi...

message 2640: by Teri, Assisting Moderator - (T) - HF/Cur. Evts/Mid East/Religions/US (new)

Teri (teriboop) | 1585 comments Amelia Boynton Robinson, a Pivotal Figure at the Selma March, Dies at 104
By Margalit Fox Aug. 26, 2015

Amelia Boynton Robinson crossing the Edmund Pettus Bridge with President Obama in March. Credit Doug Mills/The New York Times

Amelia Boynton Robinson, who was called the matriarch of the voting rights movement — and whose photograph, showing her beaten, gassed and left for dead in the epochal civil rights march known as Bloody Sunday, appeared in newspapers and magazines round the world in 1965 — died on Wednesday in Montgomery, Ala. She was 104.

Her death was confirmed by Shawn Eckles, a family spokesman.

Mrs. Boynton Robinson was one of the organizers of the march, the first of three attempts by demonstrators in March 1965 to walk the 54 miles from Selma, Ala., to the capital, Montgomery, to demand the right to register to vote.

As shown in “Selma,” the Oscar-nominated 2014 film directed by Ava DuVernay, Mrs. Boynton Robinson (played by Lorraine Toussaint) had helped persuade the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., who would lead the second and third marches, to concentrate his efforts in that city.

Bloody Sunday took place on March 7, 1965. As they tried to cross the Edmund Pettus Bridge in Selma, some 600 black demonstrators, led by John Lewis and the Rev. Hosea Williams, were set upon by Alabama state troopers armed with tear gas, billy clubs and whips.

Walking near the front of the line and subject to the full force of the troopers’ blows, Mrs. Boynton Robinson, then known as Amelia Boynton, was knocked unconscious. One widely reproduced press photograph shows her lying insensible on the ground with a white officer standing over her, nightstick in hand. Another shows a fellow marcher taking her in his arms and struggling to lift her up.

News coverage of Bloody Sunday — in which at least 17 demonstrators, including Mrs. Boynton Robinson, were hospitalized — was considered pivotal in winning wide popular support for the civil rights movement. After her release, Mrs. Boynton Robinson was a guest of honor at the White House on Aug. 6, 1965, when President Lyndon B. Johnson signed the federal Voting Rights Act into law, an event seen as a direct consequence of the marches.

“She was as strong, as hopeful and as indomitable of spirit — as quintessentially American — as I’m sure she was that day 50 years ago,” President Obama said in a statement on Wednesday. “To honor the legacy of an American hero like Amelia Boynton requires only that we follow her example — that all of us fight to protect everyone’s right to vote.”

Mrs. Boynton Robinson, who had worked to register Southern black voters since the 1930s and in 1964 ran unsuccessfully for Congress from Alabama, remained involved in civil rights advocacy to the end of her life. On March 7 of this year, as part of the 50th-anniversary commemoration of Bloody Sunday, Mrs. Boynton Robinson, using a wheelchair, held hands with Mr. Obama as they traversed the Edmund Pettus Bridge together.

One of 10 children of George Platts, a building contractor, and the former Anna Eliza Hicks, Amelia Platts was born in Savannah, Ga., on Aug. 18, 1911. As a child, before the ratification of the 19th Amendment in 1920 gave women the vote, she traveled with her mother by horse and buggy to pass out leaflets advocating women’s suffrage.

At 14, Amelia entered what was then the Georgia State Industrial College for Colored Youth and is now Savannah State University. She later transferred to the Tuskegee Institute (now Tuskegee University), where she studied under the renowned botanist George Washington Carver and earned a degree in home economics.

She then took a job as a demonstration agent with the United States Department of Agriculture. Working in Dallas County, Ala., of which Selma is the seat, she gave instruction in food, nutrition and homemaking in rural households throughout the county.

With her husband, Samuel William Boynton, whom she married in 1936, she spent decades attempting to register black voters in Alabama. Despite nearly insurmountable odds, including prohibitive examinations designed to deter black aspirants, she had managed to register there herself in the early ’30s.

Mr. Boynton died in 1963, and the next year, Mrs. Boynton Robinson ran for Congress from Alabama. She was the first black person since Reconstruction, and the first black woman ever, to do so. She received about 10 percent of the vote, a noteworthy figure given how few African-Americans were registered in her district at the time.

Mrs. Boynton Robinson, who had met Dr. King in 1954 and been involved with the work of his Southern Christian Leadership Conference ever since, had long opened her house in Selma as a meeting ground for civil rights leaders in the area. The Selma-to-Montgomery marches were planned there, and an early draft of the Voting Rights Act was written there.

In later years, Mrs. Boynton Robinson incurred criticism for her association with Lyndon H. LaRouche Jr., a former Marxist activist who came increasingly to be considered a member of the right-wing fringe. (Mr. LaRouche served time in prison after being convicted in 1988 on charges including mail fraud and conspiring to defraud the Internal Revenue Service.)

For years, until her retirement in 2009, Mrs. Boynton Robinson served on the board of the Schiller Institute, a think tank founded in the 1980s and closely associated with Mr. LaRouche. Her memoir, “Bridge Across Jordan,” was reprinted by the institute in 1991.

Mrs. Boynton Robinson also made headlines in 2004 when she lost a multimillion-dollar defamation suit against ABC and the Walt Disney Company over the 1999 television film “Selma, Lord, Selma.” She charged that the film depicted her as an “Aunt Jemima” who sang gospel songs and spoke in a stereotyped dialect. (She had nothing but praise for Ms. DuVernay’s film.)

At her death, Mrs. Boynton Robinson lived in Tuskegee, Ala. Her second husband, Bob W. Billups, died in 1973; her third husband, James Robinson, died in 1988. A son, Bill Boynton Jr., died last year. Survivors include another son, Bruce Carver Boynton, whose godfather was George Washington Carver, and a granddaughter.

Among her laurels is the Martin Luther King Jr. Freedom Medal, which she received in 1990.

In an interview with The New York Post in December, Mrs. Boynton Robinson reflected on the events of Bloody Sunday and the long road since.

“I wasn’t looking for notoriety,” she said. “But if that’s what it took,” she added, “I didn’t care how many licks I got. It just made me even more determined to fight for our cause.”
(Source: The New York Times)

More:
Bridge Across Jordan by Amelia Boynton Robinson by Amelia Boynton Robinson (no photo)

message 2639: by Teri, Assisting Moderator - (T) - HF/Cur. Evts/Mid East/Religions/US (new)

Teri (teriboop) | 1585 comments Ancient Mycenaean Palace Unearthed In Greece Near Sparta
The Huffington Post UK | By Sara C Nelson

The site is close to the ancient village of Xirokambi in southern Greece

An ancient palace believed to date back to the Mycenaean civilization has been unearthed in southern Greece.

The 10-room Aghios Vassileios complex is thought to have been built between the 17th and 16th centuries BC and was discovered near the ancient village of Xirokambi, close to where the warrior society of Sparta existed, the country’s Culture Ministry announced.

It is believed the palace was destroyed in a fire in the late 14th or early 15th century BC, UPI writes. Religious icons and items of worship which survived the blaze have been found on the site.

The Culture Ministry said in a statement: "The palace complex of Aghios Vassilios provides us with a unique opportunity to investigate, with the use of modern excavation and analysis methods, the creation and evolution of a Mycenaean palatial center in order to reconstruct the political, administrative, economic and social organization of the region.

"Alongside, it is estimated that new evidence on Mycenaean religion, linguistics and paleography will also be brought to light."

Artifacts found within the ruin include fragments of murals, a cup featuring a bull’s head, bronze swords and clay figurines.

According to Agence France-Presse, excavations in the area have been ongoing since 2009 and have already yielded “inscriptions on tablets detailing religious ceremonies and names and places in a script called Linear B, the oldest script to be discovered in Europe.”

Linear B reportedly first appeared in Crete in around 1375 BC and was only deciphered in the mid 20th century.

The find is “hugely significant”, Torsten Meissner, a classicist at the University of Cambridge told Live Science.

Citing the belief that Homer’s epics The Iliad and The Odyssey were inspired by Mycenaean culture, the channel points out that all the other famous sites mentioned by the author have been found.

Meissner adds: “Mycenaean, or Bronze Age, Sparta was the last ‘big prize’.”

(Source: Huffington Post UK)

More:
The Mycenaeans  The History and Culture of Ancient Greece's First Advanced Civilization by Charles River Editors by Charles River Editors (no photo)

message 2638: by Teri, Assisting Moderator - (T) - HF/Cur. Evts/Mid East/Religions/US (new)

Teri (teriboop) | 1585 comments I'll definitely check out the interviews. I have not heard of Petersen before now.

message 2637: by André (new)

André (AndrH) | 2531 comments Teri wrote: "André ~

I corrected Mr. Petersen's information. You should be able to cite it now..."

Thanks, Teri.
Lt.Gen. Petersen explains his background, his name and the spelling in the interviews. Really nice.

message 2636: by Teri, Assisting Moderator - (T) - HF/Cur. Evts/Mid East/Religions/US (new)

Teri (teriboop) | 1585 comments André ~

I corrected Mr. Petersen's information. You should be able to cite it now.

Into the Tiger's Jaw  America's First Black Marine Aviator  The Autobiography of Lt. Gen. Frank E. Pet ersen by Frank E. Petersen by Frank E. PetersenFrank E. Petersen

message 2635: by André (new)

André (AndrH) | 2531 comments Bentley wrote: "Thank you Andre - one of the librarians may be able to fix that.

Very sorry to hear of his passing - it is always especially sad when iconic first figures are lost."

Yes. I especially like his fine sense of humor displayed in the interviews.

message 2634: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Bentley | 29429 comments Thank you Andre - one of the librarians may be able to fix that.

Very sorry to hear of his passing - it is always especially sad when iconic first figures are lost.

message 2633: by André (last edited Aug 27, 2015 09:09AM) (new)

André (AndrH) | 2531 comments Lt. Gen. Frank E. Petersen, the first African American Aviator and General in the USMC has passed away.

Besides a link to the article in the NY Times I also added a link to a series of fine interviews on the Visionary Project website.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/27/us/...

http://www.visionaryproject.org/peter...

Into the Tiger's Jaw  America's First Black Marine Aviator  The Autobiography of Lt. Gen. Frank E. Pet ersen by Frank E. Petersen by Frank E. Petersen Frank E. Petersen

message 2632: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Bentley | 29429 comments (lol)

message 2631: by André (new)

André (AndrH) | 2531 comments Teri wrote: "The Kardashian's ..."

Who?

message 2630: by Teri, Assisting Moderator - (T) - HF/Cur. Evts/Mid East/Religions/US (new)

Teri (teriboop) | 1585 comments The Kardashian's don't count? ;-)

message 2629: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Bentley | 29429 comments I wish the 24/7 news cycle talked more about this sort of thing versus the usual drivel.

message 2628: by Teri, Assisting Moderator - (T) - HF/Cur. Evts/Mid East/Religions/US (new)

Teri (teriboop) | 1585 comments What a wonderful site and project. I'll be watching this one. I had no idea they were doing this.

message 2627: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Bentley | 29429 comments I hope this is successful and every country should be contributing to this since they are all responsible. It is wonderful to have folks still like this in the world who are concerned about the environment.

message 2626: by André (new)

André (AndrH) | 2531 comments Here's someone else who's changing the world for the better:

Boyan Slat, creator of Ocean Cleanup
http://www.theoceancleanup.com/?gclid...

The first group of vessels returned to San Francisco on August 23rd after finishing preparations for the first large scale ocean cleanup ever.

message 2625: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Bentley | 29429 comments Very true Teri

message 2624: by Alisa (new)

Alisa (MsTaz) | 5421 comments HA! That's funny. Yeah, and who knows what's next?!

message 2623: by Teri, Assisting Moderator - (T) - HF/Cur. Evts/Mid East/Religions/US (new)

Teri (teriboop) | 1585 comments Indeed! Twenty years ago, I would never have thought I could order a pizza through a watch.

message 2622: by Alisa (new)

Alisa (MsTaz) | 5421 comments Love the picture of Bill! Great post, Teri. I have an old Start marketing poster in my office, one of the many produced for the launch. What a great time, fun to recall how different technology was a mere 20 years ago.

message 2621: by Teri, Assisting Moderator - (T) - HF/Cur. Evts/Mid East/Religions/US (new)

Teri (teriboop) | 1585 comments Microsoft Launched This Product 20 Years Ago and Changed the World
Jonathan Chew / Fortune

Microsoft president Bill Gates demonstrates Microsoft's Windows 95 program from his car prior to a press conference in Paris in September 1995.

We went crazy for Windows 95

There were round-the-block lines and Jennifer Aniston made an hour-long instructional video for it. Twenty years ago, Microsoft launched Windows 95, and promptly changed the way we interact with our computers.

On Aug. 24, 1995, Microsoft—at that time a tech company with around $6 billion in sales and 17,800 employees—introduced their newest operating system, a product the New York Times at that time called “the splashiest, most frenzied, most expensive introduction of a computer product in the industry’s history.”

Windows 95 had a few notable add-ons, not least being the now-famous Start menu, a feature so significant that the company dedicated its launch ad to it.

Windows 95 also debuted the multi-tasking toolbar, the minimize-and-maximize window buttons and Internet Explorer, a browser that signaled the company’s intentions to dominate the nascent Internet sphere, as detailed in a famous Bill Gates-memo that same year.

The OS was a hit from the start, selling 7 million copies—at that time packaged in CDs and disks that cost $210 per box—in the first seven weeks alone. It would sell 40 million units in its first year.

Now, the Windows operating system has dropped in the Microsoft totem pole—their latest Windows 10 OS was given out for free, and CEO Satya Nadella has called for staff members to cut the cords of the past: “Our industry does not respect tradition—it only respects innovation,” he said in a company-wide email upon his appointment last February.
(Source: Time)

More:
Bill Gates  The Life and Business Lessons of Bill Gates by George Ilian by George Ilian (no photo)
The Best of Bill Gates  The Microsoft Billionaire's Lessons for Life Changing Success (Bill Gates, Microsoft, Steve Jobs, Paul Allen, Billionaire, business, software, wealthiest person, Melinda Gates) by Timothy Bauer by Timothy Bauer (no photo)

message 2620: by Teri, Assisting Moderator - (T) - HF/Cur. Evts/Mid East/Religions/US (new)

Teri (teriboop) | 1585 comments I really need to move Monuments Men up on my list to read. Like you, Jill, I hope it's not a hoax. I knew nothing about this train, so another thing to read up on!

The Monuments Men  Allied Heroes, Nazi Thieves, and the Greatest Treasure Hunt in History by Robert M. Edsel by Robert M. EdselRobert M. Edsel

message 2619: by Jill, Assisting Moderator - Military Hist L/Global NF/Eur/Brit/Music (new)

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) | 9724 comments If this is not a hoax, it is amazing that the "booty" from WWII is still being found. There is so much priceless art that has never been recovered. It may have perished in the bombing of WWII or it may be hidden away in some abandoned mine in the mountains. The book,cited below, is a fascinating history of the men who looked for and found many of these treasures immediately after the war.

The Monuments Men  Allied Heroes, Nazi Thieves, and the Greatest Treasure Hunt in History by Robert M. Edselby Robert M. EdselRobert M. Edsel

message 2618: by Teri, Assisting Moderator - (T) - HF/Cur. Evts/Mid East/Religions/US (last edited Aug 20, 2015 08:40AM) (new)

Teri (teriboop) | 1585 comments Nazi gold train 'found in Poland'

The train is rumoured to have been carrying gold and gems

Two people in Poland say they may have found a Nazi train rumoured to be full of gold, gems and guns that disappeared in World War Two, Polish media say.

The train is believed to have gone missing near what is now the Polish city of Wroclaw as Soviet forces approached in 1945.

A law firm in south-west Poland says it has been contacted by two men who have discovered the armoured train.

Polish media say the men want 10% of the value of the train's contents.

Local news websites said the apparent find matched reports in local folklore of a train carrying gold and gems that went missing at the end of World War Two near Ksiaz castle.
The claim was made to a law office in Walbrzych, 3km (2 miles) from Ksiaz castle.

Myth-busting the 'Nazi gold train'

Walbrzych's local leader Roman Szelemej said he was sceptical about the supposed find but would monitor developments.

"Lawyers, the army, the police and the fire brigade are dealing with this," Marika Tokarska, an official at the Walbrzych district council, told Reuters.

"The area has never been excavated before and we don't know what we might find."

Two news websites in Walbrzych said the train that was found had guns on turrets along its side. One website, walbrzych24.com, said (in Polish) that one of the men was Polish and the other German.

They were liaising with officials in the city, who have since formed an emergency committee led by the mayor to investigate the claims, the website says.

Another site, Wiadomosci Walbrzyskie, said (in Polish) the train was 150m long and may have up to 300 tonnes of gold on board.

Joanna Lamparska, a historian who focuses on the Walbrzych area, told Radio Wroclaw the train was rumoured to have disappeared into a tunnel, and that it had gold and "hazardous materials" on board.

Previous searches for the train in the same area had proved fruitless, Radio Wroclaw said.
(Source: BBC News)

More:
The Gold Train  The Destruction of the Jews and the Second World War's Most Terrible Robbery by Ronald W. Zweig by Ronald W. Zweig (no photo)

message 2617: by Jill, Assisting Moderator - Military Hist L/Global NF/Eur/Brit/Music (new)

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) | 9724 comments It plays a big part in southern WV history and some of our lower counties are still full of Hatfields.

message 2616: by Teri, Assisting Moderator - (T) - HF/Cur. Evts/Mid East/Religions/US (new)

Teri (teriboop) | 1585 comments Thanks for that information!

On a personal note, in some of my recent genealogy research, I might have uncovered a connection to one of the families (I don't remember which family, off hand). I need to dig deeper to verify what I came across. I've become more interested in the whole story since then.

message 2615: by Jill, Assisting Moderator - Military Hist L/Global NF/Eur/Brit/Music (new)

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) | 9724 comments To get more involved in the Hatfield/McCoy history you might want to try the trail. The Hatfield~McCoy Trail System is a statutory corporation created by the West Virginia Legislature to generate economic development through tourism in nine southern West Virginia counties. As of 2013, the Hatfield~McCoy Trail System covers more than 700+ miles of off-road trails in seven of its nine project counties. All of the trail systems are open 365 days a year to ATVs, dirt bikes, and utility vehicles (UTVs). Hatfield-McCoy Trails is also open to 4x4 ORV's at the newest, Ivy Branch Trail location. Many of the trail systems also offer community connecting trails that allow visitors to access “ATV-friendly towns” to experience the charm of southern West Virginia.

The eight Hatfield~McCoy trail systems are Rockhouse, Buffalo Mountain, Bearwallow, Indian Ridge, Little Coal, Pocahontas, Pinnacle Creek, and Ivy Branch. No matter which trail system you choose, Hatfield~McCoy Trail visitors can expect to find a variety of trails ranging from easiest to most difficult. These are not your typical “flatlander” trails, however, and can be a challenge for a first-time rider. For this reason, visitors may choose from a list of ATV guided tour and rental providers. You can also find a listing of lodging facilities by visiting our lodging page.

The overall goal of the Hatfield~McCoy Trails project is to develop a world-class trail system with an emphasis on safety in each of its nine project counties throughout southern West Virginia. Project estimates have concluded that once the trails are developed and linked, there may be as much as 2,000 total miles of trails.
(Source; Trailsheaven)

message 2614: by Teri, Assisting Moderator - (T) - HF/Cur. Evts/Mid East/Religions/US (new)

Teri (teriboop) | 1585 comments Hatfields and McCoys help pinpoint key battle site in feud
Associated Press By BRUCE SCHREINER
August 7, 2015 4:12 PM

In this Nov. 19, 2014 photo made available by Bill Richardson, shows the descendants of the Hatfield and Mc Coy families clearing the homesite of Randall McCoy in Pike County, KY. The descendants are looking to uncover artifacts from the site which was set ablaze by the Hatfield clan during an attack on New Year's Day in 1888. (Bill Richardson via AP)

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) — The Hatfield and McCoy descendants came armed — with digging tools. Side by side, they worked together to help archaeologists unearth artifacts from one of the bloodiest sites in America's most famous feud.

The leader of the dig says they have pinpointed the place where Randolph McCoy's home was set ablaze in the woods of eastern Kentucky during a murderous New Year's attack by the Hatfield clan.

Two McCoys were gunned down in the 1888 ambush on Randolph McCoy's homestead. It marked a turning point in their cross-border war waged in Kentucky and West Virginia, led by family patriarchs William Anderson "Devil Anse" Hatfield and Randolph "Ole Ran'l" McCoy.

The 10-day excavation focused on a back corner of the homestead. Archaeologists and volunteers — including descendants from the two families — uncovered charred timber, shell casings, nails, a pulley and fragments of glass and ceramics.

Eddie McCoy had made earlier pilgrimages there, but he said sifting through his ancestral soil was especially poignant.

"When I was digging through the mud and big chunks of burned wood started coming out, it just made it so real," he said this week. "I had to actually pause for a moment. I just could not believe I was being able to literally dig into my family's past."

A 2012 dig had given excavators some understanding of the McCoy homestead.

The team decided the actual site wasn't quite where they thought it was, said Kim McBride, co-director of the Kentucky Archaeological Survey. She led the archaeological teams on both digs.

"We had some suspicions that we weren't quite in the right place at the first dig," McBride said. "With more work, we were able to confirm that suspicion. We think the house sat a little bit further back."

The back corner of the homestead was the area least disturbed by development, McBride said.

"Having this little area of materials from the original house in its burned state was very significant," she said.

In a region slammed by a slumping coal industry, better identifying the McCoy homestead could help lure visitors.

The property is owned by Hatfield descendant Bob Scott, who would like to build a replica cabin on the same spot.

"We're trying to preserve the heritage of the Hatfield-McCoy feud," he said. "People like to get off the beaten path sometimes."

A tour group from Georgia visited the site this week, he said. Visitors from Hawaii stopped by recently.

Pike County tourism officials promote tours of feud sites on their website.

The Hatfield and McCoy Heritage Days from Sept. 24-26 in Pikeville, Kentucky, will include a Hatfield-McCoy paintball tournament, music and local crafts. Across the border, West Virginia tourism officials also are trying to capitalize on interest in the feud.

A 2012 History Channel miniseries about the feud helped stir up new interest. And the National Geographic Channel series "Diggers" will focus on the feud and the most recent dig in an episode airing Monday night.

Many believe the feud was rooted in the Civil War, but the bitterness was perpetuated by disputes over timber rights and even a pig. The fighting claimed at least a dozen lives by 1888. The feud officially ended in 2003, when descendants of the families signed a truce.

The saga even included an ill-fated love affair between Johnse Hatfield and Roseanna McCoy.

"The characters are just so amazing and so complex and so human," said feud expert Bill Richardson, an extension associate professor for West Virginia University. "They have all those human faults — greed, jealousy and lust. Honestly, it's like a Shakespearean play but it's true."

The families now share a kinship, said Eddie McCoy, who lives in South Carolina. During the dig, he said, a Hatfield descendant apologized for what her family did to his ancestors.

His reply: "You can't be apologetic for what happened in the past and what your ancestor did, because my ancestor did bad things to their family, too."
(Source: Yahoo News)

More:
The Feud  The Hatfields and McCoys, The True Story by Dean King by Dean KingDean King
American Legends  The Hatfields and McCoys by Charles River Editors by Charles River Editors (no photo)

message 2613: by Teri, Assisting Moderator - (T) - HF/Cur. Evts/Mid East/Religions/US (new)

Teri (teriboop) | 1585 comments Ancient Reptile with 'Ridiculously Long Neck' Unearthed in Alaska
by Elizabeth Palermo, Associate Editor | August 04, 2015 10:41am ET

The long-necked elasmosaur as imagined by Anchorage-based artist James Havens, who is working with Druckenmiller to realistically interpret ancient life forms.
Credit: James Havens, courtesy of UAF

The fossilized remains of an ancient marine reptile with an extremely long neck and paddlelike appendages were recently uncovered in an unlikely place: the side of a cliff in Alaska.

The bones belong to an elasmosaur, an animal that swam the seas about 75 million years ago during the Late Cretaceous period, said Patrick Druckenmiller, earth sciences curator at the University of Alaska Museum of the North. It's the first time that the skeleton of one of these creatures has been found in the state, he added.

"This is a very unusual group of marine reptiles that belongs to a larger group known as plesiosaurs, Druckenmiller told Live Science. "Elasmosaurs are famous because they have these ridiculously long necks and relatively small skulls."

Most of the newly uncovered elasmosaur's bones are still lodged in a rocky cliff in the Talkeetna Mountains of southern Alaska, so no one has measured the full skeleton yet. But Druckenmiller, who visited the fossil site in June, estimates that the animal was about 25 feet (7.6 meters) long, with a neck that made up half its body length.

The incredible length of the ancient carnivore's neck gave rise to an interesting theory in the 1930s, when someone suggested that the mythical Loch Ness monster was really just a plesiosaur (possibly an elasmosaur) that didn't go extinct with the rest of its species. But Druckenmiller said that theory is a "bunch of bunk," because there's no way a plesiosaur could have held its head up out of the water like a swan (which is how "Nessie" commonly appears in popular culture and hoax photographs).

It is true, however, that plesiosaurs can sometimes end up in unusual places. The newly discovered Alaskan elasmosaur was found amid a mountain range that boasts peaks that are nearly 9,000 feet (2,743 m) high. That's a long way from the seafloor, which is where the remains of any elasmosaur would have likely settled after it died. So how did the bones find their way up the mountain?

"The rocks that the skeleton was found in were laid down on the seabed about 70 to 75 million years ago. At that time there was a sea along the southern margin of [what is now] Alaska," said Druckenmiller, who added that over the course of many millions of years, tectonic activity under that ancient sea caused the seafloor to rise up thousands of feet.

The rocky cliffs of the Talkeetna Mountains boast many fossils that hint at this aquatic past. However, most of the fossils found there belong to invertebrates, not marine vertebrates, Druckenmiller said. The fossilized remains most commonly found in the range belong to ammonites, an extinct group of marine animals that he said look like "overgrown nautilus" (mollusks with hard, spiral shells).

Finding the remains of a vertebrate, especially one as large and intact as the elasmosaur, is a real treat for Druckenmiller, who noted that similar fossils have been found in Canada and in the continental United States, but only in places like Kansas, the Dakotas and Montana, where rocky, barren terrain is better-suited for fossil hunting. (The presence of marine animal fossils in those states has to do with the fact that, millions of years ago, central North America was submerged under a seaway that divided the continent into two landmasses.)

"These fossils are found in classic 'Badlands' environments in other parts of the world, with nice outcroppings of rock sticking out everywhere," Druckenmiller said. "In Alaska, there's a lot of vegetation, so it's hard to find good, accessible rock. Where we usually find it is pretty remote, mountainous areas where there's not a lot of vegetation because of the high elevation and the steep slopes."

And the vertical slopes of the soaring Talkeetna Mountains make the region a better place than many others in southern Alaska to look for fossils. It's not the first time an ancient skeleton has been discovered there. In 1994, workers digging a quarry in the Talkeetna range unearthed the partial remains of a plant-eating ornithopod dinosaur (a close relative of duck-billed dinosaurs) that had floated out to sea and finally came to rest on the seabed, which later rose up to form the massive mountains.

That hadrosaur, nicknamed "Lizzie," is on display at the Museum of the North (where Druckenmiller works) in Fairbanks, Alaska. It's not yet clear where the elasmosaur skeleton will end up once it's completely unearthed, but Druckenmiller said he's glad the ancient remains are close enough to visit.
(Source: LiveScience)

More:
Dragons of the Deep  Ocean Monsters Past and Present by Carl Wieland by Carl Wieland (no photo)
Sea Dragons  Predators of the Prehistoric Oceans by Richard Ellis by Richard EllisRichard Ellis

message 2612: by Francie (new)

Francie Grice | 468 comments WOW!!

message 2611: by Teri, Assisting Moderator - (T) - HF/Cur. Evts/Mid East/Religions/US (new)

Teri (teriboop) | 1585 comments Archaeologists find the gate to Goliath's hometown
Elizabeth Armstrong Moore, Newser staff 9:39 a.m. EDT August 4, 2015

(NEWSER) – An archaeological dig now in its 20th year has uncovered the entrance gate to Gath, the ancient Biblical city of the Philistines and onetime home of the giant Goliath. Before the king of Damascus destroyed it in 830 BCE, Gath was the largest city in the land for hundreds of years, reports the Jerusalem Post. The Bible refers to the massive city gate itself, in the story of David's escape from King Saul to the king of Gath. In addition to the city gate, scientists have also unearthed an "impressive fortification wall," several buildings that include a temple and iron production facility, and what the Post calls the earliest "decipherable" Philistine inscription ever found—which contains two names similar to "Goliath."

"After finding a huge fortification, it’s clearly the most important city of the 10th and ninth centuries," says the archaeologist in charge of the dig, per i24. The long-term dig is part of the Ackerman Family Bar-Ilan University Expedition to Gath, a look at the archaeology and history of one of the largest "tells" (aka ancient ruin mounds) in Israel. The area in central Israel, in the Tel Zafit National Park in the Judean Foothills, has been inhabited almost continuously since the 5th millennium BCE, the researchers note in a press release. (Also recently discovered in Israel? A mask unlike any other.)
(Source: USA Today)

More:
Goliath's Head  The Real Story of History's Most Famous Battle (Firelight Bible Studies) by David Squyres by David Squyres (no photo)

message 2610: by Teri, Assisting Moderator - (T) - HF/Cur. Evts/Mid East/Religions/US (new)

Teri (teriboop) | 1585 comments Photographer searches for owner of stunning vintage photos found in Virginia thrift store
Alexandra Zaslow
TODAY
Aug. 2, 2015 at 7:40 AM

While perusing through a thrift store back in June, Meagen Abell came across beautiful negatives that she brought home and digitally scanned in to enlarge.

"They were gorgeous in the store, but even more so after I really got a good look at them," Abell told TODAY.com. "Too beautiful not to buy."

Abell, a photographer in Richmond, Virginia, desperately wanted to find the women in the old negatives, so she took to Facebook on Wednesday to ask for help and came up with the hashtag #FindTheGirlsOnTheNegatives, hoping to make them go viral. The negatives have already been shared over 17,000 times.

"I would absolutely love to find the women in these photographs/the photographer who took them. The only info I have is that the negatives were found in a thrift store on Hull St in Richmond, VA. They are medium format, and judging by the style of dress, made in 1940-1950. The owner of the thrift store had no idea where they came from. I'm posting the best/clearest scans of the images, so if y'all could share this around, HOPEFULLY we can make it go viral and find the original photographer/subjects!!!!" Abell wrote.

"We're hoping that by some miracle someone will recognize their grandma," Abell said.

From different leads she's received, the 24 year old believes a professional photographer shot them in the 1950s for a magazine and the most recent lead suggests that they were taken at Dockweiler Beach in California.

Abell hopes to track down the women not just to reunite them with the negatives, but also to find out their story.

"If the women in the photos passed away or if there's no one to claim them, I think it would be wonderful to offer limited edition prints for people," Abell said. "I've already received a lot of interest for that."

The owner of the thrift store gave her more transparencies she found from the same shoot that Abell is currently scanning in.

"The ultimate goal is to find the owner of these pictures to give credit where credit's due," Abell said.

More:
Picturing Dogs, Seeing Ourselves  Vintage American Photographs by Ann-Janine Morey by Ann-Janine Morey (no photo)

message 2609: by Teri, Assisting Moderator - (T) - HF/Cur. Evts/Mid East/Religions/US (new)

Teri (teriboop) | 1585 comments You bet!

message 2608: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (Winkpc) | 68 comments Interesting article on Jamestown, Teri. Thanks for posting it.

message 2607: by Teri, Assisting Moderator - (T) - HF/Cur. Evts/Mid East/Religions/US (new)

Teri (teriboop) | 1585 comments Jamestown Discovery: Graves of Four Founders Unearthed
By Gregory Connolly on July 28, 2015

Archaeologists from the Jamestown Rediscovery Project work at a site where the bodies of four of the founders of English America were discovered. Photo courtesy of Jamestown Rediscovery Foundation (Preservation Virginia)

Archaeologists working to excavate the earliest European settlement on Jamestown Island have discovered the graves of four of the men believed to have founded English America.

The graves were discovered beneath what was the chancel — an area usually reserved for clergy — of the first church on the island, which stood from 1608 to 1616.

“These are four of the earliest English founders of America, and that is quite remarkable in my view,” said James Horn, a career academic who is in charge of the Jamestown Rediscovery Project. “These are all key players in the first years.”

Jamestown Rediscovery worked closely with the Smithsonian Natural History Museum to ascertain who was buried in the chancel. The announcement was made today at the Washington, D.C. museum.

Archaeologists have been at work on the island since 1994, making waves when they discovered the original James Fort had not been lost to erosion and the earliest settlers likely resorted to cannibalism in at least one instance.

The new discovery is the latest in a tradition of major discoveries by the project. Horn is confident the graves are those of the first Anglican minister on the island, two prominent gentlemen involved in early military action and another gentleman central to the early political machinations of the colony.

The bodies were discovered in 2013 arranged in a line from north to south. Since the discovery, the project’s researchers have combed over archaeological, forensic and documentary evidence to determine the identities of the four men.

The team found two people from the original 1607 voyage, including Capt. Gabriel Archer. He was present at the founding, developed a rivalry with Capt. John Smith and was involved in several plots to “get rid” of Smith.

“He was in many respects Smith’s nemesis,” Horn said. “Archer is prominent because he’s always at the center of the politics and the factionalism that’s a feature of the first few years.”

Archer was a Cambridge-educated gentleman who died during the starving time of 1609 and 1610. Discovered in his grave is a small silver box roughly 2.5 inches long and 1 inch wide, which has perplexed the researchers.

That’s because it is likely a reliquary, which is a small container that holds holy relics. They are typically associated with the Catholic Church, and while there were a handful of Catholics in the early colony, the majority of colonists — and all of the leadership — are believed to be Anglicans.

The researchers knew there was something inside the reliquary, but the silver was too corroded to allow it to be opened without destroying the artifact. They approached the FBI, which recommended two companies with powerful scanning technology — General Electric and Micro Photonics.

Thanks to those companies’ advanced scanning equipment, the team was able to see six bones — likely human, though possibly animal — along with two pieces of lead that were likely a small container known as an ampular. Those containers were used to hold holy water, oil or even blood.

Horn said there is no indication Archer was a Catholic, leading the team to two working theories: Archer was a secret Catholic or the reliquary is actually Anglican. The Anglican Church did have some reliquaries, though they were quite rare compared to the Catholic Church.

A reliquary expert suggested to the team the one they found is not a private reliquary. It appears more likely to have been used in public ceremonies.

“It may be that ultimately we’re never going to know for sure whether it’s a personal Catholic item or the spiritual sacred expression of the 1608 [Anglican] church,” he said.

Farthest north — and first to be buried — is believed to be that of the Rev. Robert Hunt. He was among the 104 men and boys on the initial 1607 voyage, serving as their leading ecclesiastical figure.

“He is well-esteemed by the settlers,” Horn said. “He was described as a pious and humble man.”

The forensic evidence shows Hunt was wrapped in cloth and buried with his head pointing to the east, which is the typical orientation of the body of a clergyman buried at the time. He died in the winter or early spring of 1608, though there is no indication of what killed him.

Hunt was integral to religious life in the colony’s first days. He founded the first church at James Fort, making him the founder of the first church in English America. That church was more than 60 feet long and 20 feet wide and occupied a prominent spot in James Fort, which Hunt said speaks to the importance of the church to the colony.

“There is a very important story about the intent of the Virginia Company to translate the [Anglican Church] to the New World, and the Reverend Robert Hunt is very much a part of that,” Horn said.

Next to Hunt is believed to be Sir Ferdinando Wainman, a knight who arrived in June 1610 along with Lord De la Warr and about 150 other settlers. That contingent joined the colony after three brutal years that pushed James Fort to the brink. De la Warr soon became the leader of the colony.

“[The original settlers] had decided to abandon the fort and were sailing down the James River when they were met with De la Warr’s advance party,” Horn said. “Wainman is with that group.”

There were only a couple of knights in early English America. Wainman was educated, affluent and an experienced soldier who oversaw artillery and cavalry. He also served on the early council led by De la Warr that governed the colony.

The team determined Wainman was buried in the remains of a wooden anthropoid coffin, meaning the coffin was cut to look like a human body, like a sarcophagus.

“He is described as an honest and valiant gentleman whose death was much lamented,” Horn said. The cause of death is unknown.

The final grave belonged to Capt. William West, a nephew of De la Warr who arrived on the same fleet as Wainman. He was also buried in an anthropoid coffin, and his body had a silver sash that would have been worn by a military officer.

Historical records indicate West died in 1610 during a skirmish with Powhatan and Pamunkey warriors at the site of present-day Richmond.

“That was some of the toughest fighting that was going on during 1610,” he said.

West was brought back to Jamestown to be buried. He was in his mid-20s when he died.

The quartet represent what Horn and the team believe is a fascinating look at the first days of colonial life in English America. It has taken more than 20 months for the team to become confident of the identities of the four men, as the graves are badly decomposed after more than 400 years underground.

The Graves

Founders discovered in the Jamestown Rediscovery Archaeological Project:

Rev. Robert Hunt: Jamestown’s first Anglican minister and founder of James Fort’s first church

Capt. Gabriel Archer: Central political figure at Jamestown and a nemesis of Capt. John Smith

Sir Ferdinando Wainman: Knight who came to Jamestown with Lord De la Warr, or Thomas West, who later became the colony’s leader

Capt. William West: Nephew of Lord De la Warr
(Source: Williamsburg Yorktown Daily)

More:
The First Seventeen Years  Virginia 1607-1624 by Charles E. Hatch by Charles E. Hatch (no photo)
Virginia Immigrants and Adventurers  A Biographical Dictionary, 1607-1635 by Martha W. McCartney by Martha W. McCartney (no photo)

message 2606: by Teri, Assisting Moderator - (T) - HF/Cur. Evts/Mid East/Religions/US (new)

Teri (teriboop) | 1585 comments This just in:

Seattle true crime writer Ann Rule dies
KING 5 News 1:21 p.m. PDT July 27, 2015

SEATTLE -- Family members confirm true crime writer and Seattle native Ann Rule has died.

Rule's daughter says her mother had gone to the emergency room last week and had a heart attack while she was there. She says her mother passed away a few days later.

Family members were able to visit rule in the hospital before she passed. She was 84.

Rule has written more than 30 best-selling true crime novels, chronicling some of the most heinous murders. Her 1980 tale The Stranger Beside Me detailed her time working on a crisis hotline with serial killer Ted Bundy.
(Source: King5 News)

More:
The Stranger Beside Me  Ted Bundy The Shocking Inside Story by Ann Rule by Ann RuleAnn Rule

message 2605: by André (new)

André (AndrH) | 2531 comments Teri wrote: "Thanks, André ... Loved this article and the connection to ancient history..."

Isn't it amazing that honey is still edible 1000s of years later... though I have to say that I won't try and dip my fingers into one of the honey pots archeologists took from the tombs ... With one of those dusty mummies staring down at that lovely pot for 3000 years, yearning to grab for it ... no thanks - bad vibes...(smile)

message 2604: by Teri, Assisting Moderator - (T) - HF/Cur. Evts/Mid East/Religions/US (new)

Teri (teriboop) | 1585 comments Thanks, André We have a large family ranch with plenty of wide open space. We had read about colony collapse disorder and decided to do our part and help out! We just have one hive at the moment and it is going very well. They are thriving, but likely won't harvest this year, as they're still building their own brood. We plan to expand soon to at least one if not 2 more hives and build yearly from there. It's great fun and once established there is not a lot you have to do but check on them from time to time.

Loved this article and the connection to ancient history.

André wrote: "Teri wrote: "As a beekeeper..."

Terrific, Teri. Anyone helping the bees survive is actively contributing to the survival of the brain dead two legged ones (smile)."

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 53 54
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Flying Blind, Fly Safe (other topics)
The Longest Day (other topics)
The Fighting First: The Untold Story Of The Big Red One on D-Day (other topics)
Amish Society (other topics)
Nuclear North Korea: A Debate on Engagement Strategies (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Laura Hillenbrand (other topics)
Howard Zinn (other topics)
Joseph J. Ellis (other topics)
Rebecca Skloot (other topics)
Reinhold Niebuhr (other topics)
More...