The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Book Hunting / Recommendations > Find Me A... Medical/Forensic/Scientific Thriller

Comments (showing 1-50 of 56) (56 new)    post a comment »

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) I really enjoy thrillers with a medical or scientific theme to them. Psychologically warped, clinically insane but still practicing (on live victims) mad doctors are a plus. ;D

Anything goes really. I do not have a weak stomach and am extremely hard to offend. Any and all recommendations will be appreciated! :)

Thanks in advance!

Fiona (bookcoop) Postmortem by Patricia Cornwell of course... I think Kathy Reichs writes forensic crimes... uhhhh...

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) Of course... ;)

But I hadn't heard of Kathy Reichs. Thanks!

Jeane Becky I would go for Postmortem. Kathy Reichs writes in theory about the same things but for me there seems to be a harder feeling arund her stories, more blocked. They aren't bad but it doesn't get to the level of the scarpetta serie I think.

Kandice Robin Cook writes mostly medical thrillers, I think.

Fiona (bookcoop) Bodies by Jed Mercurio is a kind of thriller I think - written by a doctor about a newly qualified doctor's first experience in hospital... and it's horrible.

Never let a young junior doctor treat you!

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) Fiona wrote: "Bodies by Jed Mercurio is a kind of thriller I think - written by a doctor about a newly qualified doctor's first experience in hospital... and it's horrible."

Nice, sounds interesting! Thanks everyone! Keep em coming!

Jeane Kandice wrote: "Robin Cook writes mostly medical thrillers, I think."

I think, if it is really written by him, coma..which was good.

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) Yep, that's one of his... I have a couple of his sitting on my shelves right now. Fatal Cure and Vital Signs... I've read Outbreak too, and I liked it. I love the movie, but for very different reasons than I liked the book, because they were VERY different.

message 10: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) | 2063 comments Mod
Coma! I'd forgotten about that book! Really liked it!!

Kandice I think Becky did NOT like this one, but I loved The Andromeda Strain by Crichton.

message 12: by Dorie (last edited Jun 07, 2009 03:45PM) (new)

Dorie (DorieAnn) | 464 comments For forensic fiction I would also recommend the books of Jefferson Bass, which is actually two people: Dr. Bill Bass and Jon Jefferson. Dr. Bass is a forensic anthropologist and founded the facility now commonly called "the Body Farm" (coined in Patricia Cornwell's series). The author's main character is Dr. Bill Brockton, a down-to-earth and sympathetic character who works (of course) at the Body Farm. The first in the series is called "Carved In Bone".

If you really have a strong stomach you could check out "Beat the Reaper" by Josh Bazell, about a former hitman for the mob who now works as an intern in a hospital. He's recognized by one of the patients, who attempts to blackmail him. The violence was a little too much for me in places but I did enjoy it. It's received really good reviews overall.

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) Thanks Dorie! I do have a pretty strong stomach, well, mostly. I have a thing for broken bones and broken fingernails. But violence, blood and guts etc don't bother me at all!

message 14: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

Kandice wrote: "I think Becky did NOT like this one, but I loved The Andromeda Strain by Crichton. "

Oh, I did too... great film!

Teresa in Ohio  (teresainohio) | 150 comments Darkly Dreaming DexterTHis is a series, I havent read it, but I think it fits?

I recommend Amnesia this is a series with forensic physcologist,

and I love REICHSReichs, Kathy

I used to love Cornwell, but after she introduces a storyline (don't want to ruin later books) that was not plausible for this series and doing something with a character that made me throw the book across the room, I gave up on her.

message 16: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

I gave up on her after the 4th or 5th book (can't remember which it was), which was so full of advertisements that I got p****d off! Instead of saying "he poured himself a drink" it was "he poured himself a BRAND NAME Whiskey", instead of "she ate a snack" it was "she ate a BRAND NAME cake". AFter the 20th thing, I threw it away and never read anohter, which was a shame, because I had liked the previous ones.

Teresa in Ohio  (teresainohio) | 150 comments Hayes wrote: "I gave up on her after the 4th or 5th book (can't remember which it was), which was so full of advertisements that I got p****d off! Instead of saying "he poured himself a drink" it was "he poured ..."

are you referring to cornwell?

message 18: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

Teresa wrote: "Hayes wrote: "I gave up on her after the 4th or 5th book (can't remember which it was), which was so full of advertisements that I got p****d off! Instead of saying "he poured himself a drink" it w..."

Yes, I can remember the colors of the cover (orange and blue) but I can't remember the name of the book!

Jeane Hayes wrote: "Coma! I'd forgotten about that book! Really liked it!!"

It was my first book written by him and it was soooooo many years ago. I was still such a young girl:-) I remember I thought it was a bit creepy but liked it a lot.

Jeane I know cornwell her stye changed in her last books but I jsut can't give up on her. I keep adoring her books!!!!

Theweebarrell | 30 comments Kathryn Fox is also good, her books are

Malicious Intent
Without Consent
Skin and Bone
Blood Born

message 22: by Lori (last edited Jun 09, 2009 05:23AM) (new)

Lori (TNBBC) Next - scientific research gone horribly wrong
Germ - the opening part of this was very Eeeewwww-y!
Pandemic - a deadly virus is killing everyone
Bringing Out the Dead - this was really good! Anyone see the movie with Nicholas Cage? It stuck very closely to the book!
The Fifth Vial - People getting kidnapped and having organs removed involuntarily for the black market, kind of!

Yup, the Dexter series (awesome by the way, everyone should read it!) is medical/thrillery...

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) Thanks Theweebarrell & Lori! Those definitely sound interesting.

Kandice Lori is right about Next, and State of Fear, also by Crichton, would fit too.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (SusannaG) | 285 comments It's a historical mystery, but how about The Alienist?

JG (The Introverted Reader) Gravity by Tess Gerritsen was a good one. That's the only one of hers I've read, but I think she does a lot with this kind of thing.

The Hot Zone A Terrifying True Story is maybe not quite so riveting as others, but it's scarier because it's true.

Poppy | 1 comments Maybe Jonathan Kellerman, though he is a child psychologist and not so much medical .... I enjoy his series, though.

Jerry | 1 comments Yeah Gravity gets my vote by Tess Gerritsen. Her Surgeon and apprentice books and pretty "hectic". Read them both in about 3 days. After that I went off her.

I'd also recommend "denial" - peter james.

Elizabeth (mortuivivosdocent) Susanna wrote: "It's a historical mystery, but how about The Alienist?"

Excellent book! I'm in agreement with others who aren't wild about Kathy Reichs..her style doesn't suit me. And, I'd never noticed the product placement in Patricia Cornwell's books until you all mentioned it..I don't think it is entirely intentional, like it is in film. I also like Simon Beckett's series (forensic anthropology series), Jefferson Bass (like mentioned above), Iris Johansen, Joe Hill, Rennie Airth (post WWI mysteries set in the UK), and Colin Cotterillwho writes a series about a medical examiner in Laos.

aprilla | 432 comments Yup, the Dexter series (awesome by the way, everyone should read it!) is medical/thrillery...

Is that the same as the TV Dexter? I love that but there isn't anything 'medical' there, is the book different?

I like Robin Cook, especially the Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery series, and would like to find other series as good. Simon Beckett's is ok, Eve Duncan, the first 2 or maybe 3 are ok but then not so good anymore. Maybe I'll try Tess Gerritsen...

I'm anxious to read Jefferson Bass, in the kind of way you're worried in case it's not as good as you hope LOL
:)

Sean Cronin | 85 comments Becky wrote: "I really enjoy thrillers with a medical or scientific theme to them. Psychologically warped, clinically insane but still practicing (on live victims) mad doctors are a plus. ;D

Anything goes rea..."

"Mistress of the Art of Death" by Ariana Franklin. Excellent History (Britain, 1170) and medicine of the time woven into historical mystery. Add in a woman "doctor" protagonist and you've got a great historical fiction book. Part of a series, includes "The Serpent's Tale".

Labeeb Xaman (labeeb-xaman) I guess I would say Robin Cook too. I read his Fever which was 7/10 for me and have Coma in my reading list. Haven't read more of his stuff. I do get bored at times reading his stuff but maybe that's just me.

aprilla | 432 comments I agree Labeeb, so outside of the series I try to read stuff in between his books or the stories are too similar, even if about different subjects. I guess it's writing style or something...
Michael Palmer is much the same, good 'while you're in them' medical thrillers, not unlike Robin Cook's.

Britney (tarheels) | 69 comments Not to long ago I readCode Blue by Richard L. Mabry. It was very good. He writes Medical mysteries. I now have another one of his books on my TBR. I think you would enjoy him.

♡ Sassy ~ Amy ♡ OK... Does anyone know who...????

In 1995 or so, I read these medical mystery books about a small town UK female dr. Amatuer sleuth. She had 2 teenage girls, made house calls, and solved these murders committed by upper class people. I was trying to find it for my mom, but cannot find the name of author, or the name of the doctor either. I would recommend them, if I knew who wrote them! LOL! I read maybe 6 of them, and then there were no more at the time. Thanks if you can help!

???!!! | 22 comments once you've mentioned medical thriller The Alienist and The Surgeon immediately came to my mind. I would have to say they are my 5 stars books. I tried Kathy Reichs and Jeff Bass but they're too "easy" for me. Plus I don't really appreciate the main characters's "I know everything" personalities.

I'm currently read Greg Isles "Mortal Fear." I would not ranked it as a 5 stars yet but it is quite intense. Maybe you can check it out.

As for scientific thriller I've always enjoy Michael Chichton. But the above thread forgot to mention "Prey." Dan Brown's "Deception Point" got a 5 stars from me too.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (SusannaG) | 285 comments Sassy - you could try the group "What's the name of this book?"

Toni Osborne (ToniOsborne) try Daniel Kalla any of his books are medical based

♡ Sassy ~ Amy ♡ Susanna wrote: "Sassy - you could try the group "What's the name of this book?""

Thank you!!

message 40: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

Sassy wrote: "Susanna wrote: "Sassy - you could try the group "What's the name of this book?""

Thank you!!"

And then come back to tell us the title. Sounds like good series. :-)

Mary Gilligan-Nolan | 83 comments Kathryn Fox writes books with the main character being a Pathologist, they are quite good, based in Australia,Malicious Intent: A NovelBlood BornSkin and BoneWithout Consent, worth checking her out.

Deanne | 94 comments Becky I have a thing about toes, very strange as I work in a neurosurgery operating room, and have no problem with brains.
Coma, not a book you want to read before going into hospital.
Love Reichs because she's writing about something which she does.
I also liked Cornwell but lost interest at about book 8.
If you're interested in real crime there's Harold Shipman, with a number of books written about him, and they still don't know how many he killed, 200-300.

Patrick Reinken (patrickreinken) | 14 comments The Alienist, excellent (and moody).

Like Deanne, I like Cornwell but have drifted away from her. Same with Cook (to be honest, fairly quickly after Coma...).

There was a mention of Crichton here, and in particular Andromeda.... It's the best topical fit, and it's a great book.

As for Mortal Fear, it's also excellent, but it's not really a medical/forensic/scientific thriller. At least not to me. You might try a couple of other Greg Iles' books, though: The Footprints of God (scientific), or Blood Memory (forensics).

Amy Rogers (ScienceThriller) The book review website ScienceThrillers.com exclusively reviews thrillers with scientific or medical themes. For medical thrillers with some gore, others have already mentioned Cornwell, Gerritsen, and Reichs. Michael Palmer's medical thrillers have less gore but more mystery. I bet you've never heard of Joshua Spanogle; his Isolation Ward is terrific. Anybody who likes forensic thrillers should read the pop nonfiction book STIFF by Mary Roach.

Avisek Bandyopadhyay | 54 comments Can someone please say if "In Cold Blood" by Truman Capote awesome or not ??

Allison Brennan (abwrites) | 38 comments Teresa in Ohio wrote: "I used to love Cornwell, but after she introduces a storyline (don't want to ruin later books) that was not plausible for this series and doing something with a character that made me throw the book across the room, I gave up on her."

My mom did the same thing. I liked some of her earlier books, but haven't read that particular book that seemed to tick off a lot of people.

Dr. Keith Ablow, who only writes NF now, has a six-book series with a forensic psychiatrist as his protagonist which has an air of authenticity because he, too, is a forensic psychiatrist. He's an amazing writer. His books are very dark and his protagonist wrestles with drug addiction and other issues, as fair warning. He's more of a psychological thriller, but has solid grasp of medical forensics and it shows. (As an aside, his first book was written about a close friend of his who was senselessly killed while they were in law school, and what put him on the path of criminal psychiatry. He now a commentator and I've read his INSIDE THE MIND books which landed him on the NYT list. Interesting, but dumbed down--his fiction is far more detailed.)

Kathy Reichs, who others have mentioned, is really good.

For BECKY -- I've heard Thomas O'Callaghan has books like the mad doctor books, but I haven't read them so can't comment on specifics.

for Avisek: I read IN COLD BLOOD years ago (nearly 30 years ago!) when I was 14, and it started me down a path of reading all the true crime I could get my hands on. It's a classic. If I remember correctly (and I might not) it was slower to start, he sets the stage for the victims and the killers, but it's compelling. Definitely worth reading IMO.

Allison

Valerie | 46 comments I see this is an old thread, but I enjoy a good medical thriller, also. If anyone is still interested in the topic, I would recommend Michael Palmer's books...that theme is his specialty. I've read every one of his books except for A Heartbeat Away, which is on my Kindle ready and waiting.

As was previously mentioned, that is also Robin Cook's niche. I believe before becoming a best-selling author, Robin Cook was a practicing medical doctor - or maybe he does both? Anyway, I think it helps give his books an air of authenticity.

Valerie | 46 comments Allison wrote: "I read IN COLD BLOOD years ago (nearly 30 years ago!) when I was 14, and it started me down a path of reading all the true crime I could get my hands on. It's a classic. If I remember correctly (and I might not) it was slower to start, he sets the stage for the victims and the killers, but it's compelling. Definitely worth reading IMO."

Allison - me, too! As a teen I went through a phase where I was reading a lot of true crime and/or biographies of mentally ill/criminally insane people. Sybil, Ted Bundy, John Wayne Gacy, Charles Manson, etc. That subject matter fascinates me to this day!

Wendy | 247 comments Becky wrote: "Of course... ;)

But I hadn't heard of Kathy Reichs. Thanks!"

Kathy Reichs is a hit and miss author for me. And "Bones" is BARELY based on her character. I do not see any resemblance.

Wendy | 247 comments Sassy ~ Amy wrote: "OK... Does anyone know who...???? Try "Library Thing" it is awesome site like this one, and had a gazillion librarians and such who can answer your question: there is a blog? called Name that Book.

In 1995 or so, I read these medical mystery books about a small town UK female dr. Amatuer sleuth. She had 2 teenage girls, made house calls, and solved these ..."

« previous 1

The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Bodies (other topics)
The Andromeda Strain (other topics)
Amnesia (other topics)
Darkly Dreaming Dexter (other topics)
Bringing Out the Dead (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Robin Cook (other topics)