M/T Reading Friends discussion

51 views
Miscellaneous Book Talk > Progress For First Six Months of 2009

Comments (showing 1-22 of 22) (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Shomeret | 756 comments So I've so far read 50 books in the first six months of 2009. That means that I'll probably read a hundred this year which is wonderful considering that I've got library school going on.

The best M/T I've read in the first six months is Wild Sorrow by Sandi Ault, the most recent in the Jamaica Wild series which is continuing as strong as it started.

Does anyone else have a M/T favorite for the first six months?

Shomeret




Melodie (MelodieCO) | 2181 comments I've read 66 books so far this year and have 7 that I have rated 9.5. In no particular order they are: A Body to Die For (Savannah Reid Mystery, Book 14) by G.A. McKevett, Mean Streets (Roc) by Jim Butcher, A Kiss Before the Apocalypse (Remy Chandler, #1) by Thomas E. Sniegoski, Love Mercy by Earlene Fowler, [image error], Dead and Gone (Sookie Stackhouse, #9) by Charlaine Harris and Carpe Corpus (The Morganville Vampires, #6) by Rachel Caine. With lots more good reading to come!


Ann (AnnRumsey) | 5855 comments I have read 31 books so far this year which is just about the same as this time last year (thirty-five, and when I read eighty-eight). I have a Goodreads shelf for my 2009 books read.
I have especially loved Carol OConnell's latest stand-alone, BONE BY BONE, and Stieg Larsson's Girl With A Dragon Tattoo

Honorable mentions go to The Given Day A Novel, The Brass Verdict, The Shanghai Moon, A Rule Against Murder, Whisper To The Blood, Among the Mad, Dead Silence, and A Breath of Snow and Ashes


JanOMalleycat | 323 comments I've read 22 books so far this year, which is low.

My favorite MT's, off the top of my head, have been Shanghai Moon and Winter's Bone. The latter is a stretch to call an M/T, but there is a mystery involved and a mysterious story that pulled me along. The writing was wonderful.

Jan O'Cat


Ann (AnnRumsey) | 5855 comments Jan O'Cat:
the link to Winters Bone goes to a different book! I think you meant to link to this one instead Winter's Bone?

JanOMalleycat wrote: "I've read 22 books so far this year, which is low.

My favorite MT's, off the top of my head, have been Shanghai Moon and Winter's Bone. The latter is a stretch to cal..."





Barry (barrypz) | 1563 comments Not that I'm counting, but 73 books of 24,946 pages. This is an average of 346 pages per book,the lowest it has ever been.
15 books I bought new, 24 I borrowed (swapped), 11 came from the library, and 23 from the "buck-a-book"


Sherry  | 1948 comments Barry wrote: "Not that I'm counting, but 73 books of 24,946 pages. This is an average of 346 pages per book,the lowest it has ever been.
15 books I bought new, 24 I borrowed (swapped), 11 came from the library,..."


geeze, barry. the lowest count?
i've read 43 so far.


JanOMalleycat | 323 comments Ann wrote: "Jan O'Cat:
the link to Winters Bone goes to a different book!


No, Ann, I meant Winter's Bone by Daniel Woodrell. I guess I'll go to the Librarians and report this oddity, especially as Winter's Bone is a book I'd definitely recommend.

Jan O'Cat




JanOMalleycat | 323 comments Winter's Bone

Just trying again to see if it happens every time.

JOC


Shomeret | 756 comments Yes, it happened again, Jan. No Winter's Bone. It's Bone Crossed. Do you include the author when you search for the book, or is it just the title?

Bone Crossed is on my TBR pile, but that's probably of more interest to Melodie than to Jan.

Shomeret


Ann (AnnRumsey) | 5855 comments Melodie:
If I had made my list of top books so far this year today instead of yesterday, I would have included Dead and Gone too. I am ready for the next book NOW! :)
I finished the latest Sookie book last night and then watched episode 6 of the first season of True Blood on DVD.
Melodie wrote: "I've read 66 books so far this year and have 7 that I have rated 9.5. In no particular order they are:
Dead and Gone (Sookie Stackhouse, #9) by Charlaine Harris"





Melodie (MelodieCO) | 2181 comments Ann wrote: "Melodie:
If I had made my list of top books so far this year today instead of yesterday, I would have included Dead and Gone too. I am ready for the next book NOW! :)
I finished th..."


I'm ready for the next one, too! How did you like True Blood? I'm planning to reread Living Dead in Dallas this week before the 2nd season kicks off next Sunday. And Weeds starts tomorrow. Lots of good TV!


Marcy | 862 comments I have read 44 books so far this year and really loved The Girl With the Dragon Tatoo and the Jack Daniels series by J.A. Konrath. I'm loving Gone Tomorrow (Reacher), but still have more to read in it.


Barry (barrypz) | 1563 comments Statistics: I am at the lowest average of pages per book ever. The other numbers are on track from previous years.
Barry


Sandi (sandin954) | 526 comments I've read or listened to 46 books this year and would say that Missing, A Darker Domain, and Dark Places A Novel are at the top of my list so far. I have so many others that I have really enjoyed this year too like The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Child 44, Silence of the Grave A Thriller, and Reconstruction that it may be really difficult to only pick ten favorites at the end of the year.


Shomeret | 756 comments I have ten A rated on my all genre list so far this year, so I may have trouble picking only ten too.

Shomeret


Lori S | 70 comments I read 29 books so far this year. My favorites were Shanghai Moon, The Monkey's Raincoat, Tooth and Nail, and L.A. Requiem.


Ann (AnnRumsey) | 5855 comments Melodie:
I am really enjoying the first season of True Blood on DVD. I am trying to pace it out since I won't be able to watch the second season for a while (though it has tempted me to want HBO) The visual depictions of the Sookie Sackhouse series are very vivid and were a bit startling at first, but I love it.

Melodie wrote: "I'm ready for the next one, too! How did you like True Blood? I'm planning to reread Living Dead in Dallas this week before the 2nd season kicks off next Sunday. And Weeds starts tomorrow. Lots of good TV! "




JanOMalleycat | 323 comments Shomeret wrote: "Yes, it happened again, Jan. No Winter's Bone. It's Bone Crossed. Do you include the author when you search for the book, or is it just the title?"

Shomeret,
I posted about this problem on Goodreads Librarians and got several messages suggesting using the "add book/author" link instead of the brackets & title method. Apparently the brackets method is notoriously unreliable. I wasn't aware that you could search for the specific book when you used the other.

Apparently it's one of those Goodreads search glitches that you were researching earlier . I'll probably continue to use the brackets method as it's so easy and, this being the first time I've known of a problem, not very unreliable.

Jan O'Cat




Ann (AnnRumsey) | 5855 comments Jan O'ConfidentCat:
I agree the type into the brackets method should work and does work usually. I have run into a couple of case where doing that hasn't worked, so I started using the search method from add book/author. It returned both your Winter's Bone by Woodrell and Bone Crossed as choices. From what I understand, the search by name method attempts to match the search with books with similar traits and the most activity first.
Typing the brackets is definitely easier. It can take a bit of manipulation to eventually scroll to the right book when adding. The mutiple language versions can complicate the search. If "add book" doesn't work right away, I usually change to "add author" which narrows the list of books to scroll through.

JanOMalleycat wrote: "Apparently it's one of those Goodreads search glitches that you were researching earlier . I'll probably continue to use the brackets method as it's so easy and, this being the first time I've known of a problem, not very unreliable."




JanG | 163 comments JanOMalleycat wrote: "I've read 22 books so far this year, which is low.

My favorite MT's, off the top of my head, have been Shanghai Moon and Winter's Bone. The latter is a stretch to cal..."


Thru May I've read 38 books. I think June might be pretty good. I've had a little more time to read since I've retired but I might be pretty busy this summer. We shall see...


Susie in KS Fevella (SusieinKS) | 1025 comments I just finished book number 61 :) I'm trying to at least read 10 per month.


back to top

unread topics | mark unread


Books mentioned in this topic

The Way Home (other topics)
Mean Streets (other topics)
Carpe Corpus (other topics)
A Body to Die For (other topics)
Love Mercy (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Stieg Larsson (other topics)
Carol O'Connell (other topics)
Daniel Woodrell (other topics)