The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
General Chat > What Are You Reading? June 2009-Mar 2010

Comments (showing 1-50 of 1,136) (1136 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 22 23

message 1: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) What book, crime or not are you reading?

If it is crime though we'd be especially interested in how you are liking that book and whether or not you'd recommend it to others.

message 2: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) | 472 comments I have just started Cross Country - James Patterson. Its too early to say what I think of it so far as I have only just started. BUT saying that I do like James Patterson books.

Teresa in Ohio  (teresainohio) | 150 comments My recent reads in this thread include: ( reviews are listed on my shelves)

Look Again
2nd Chance
Beyond Reach
Takeover
Absent Friends
Charley's Web
and Angel's Tip

J/F ( just finished)
The Lightning Thief

and currently reading
The Scarecrow
and Angel's Tip

message 4: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) | 472 comments Teresa wrote: "My recent reads in this thread include: ( reviews are listed on my shelves)

Look Again
2nd Chance
Beyond Reach
Takeover
[book:Absent..."

What did you think of Beyond Reach (Skin Privilege) and 2nd Chance?

I have read both. I can't wait for Undone (US version)which we have it as Genesis comes out.

message 5: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (last edited Jun 05, 2009 12:39PM) (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) | 2063 comments Mod
My recent mystery reads are:

An Imperfect Spy, by Carolyn Heilbrun, who is really Amanda Cross... this was an accidental re-read. Didn't remember until I was half way through, so I just finished it... lots of philosophising about political correctness. Boy am I glad I wasn't in the US in the 90s!!
The Immaculate Deception, which was good, but the end of a series that I haven't read the beginning of... (something to look forward to!)
The Woman in White, a neat classic
Touchstone, not as good as other Laurie King, but fun
The Mysterious Affair at Styles another fun classic, Poirot's first case.

EDIT: I forgot One for the Money, which I loved. Can't wait to read the rest of them!
and Promise Me, which I didn't like so much, but I missed the first books of the series, so felt like I didn't understand anything.

message 6: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) I am reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larrson.

It started off a bit slow for 50-70 pages but then took off so fast I forget to stop reading!

Teresa in Ohio  (teresainohio) | 150 comments Fiona (Titch) wrote: "Teresa wrote: "My recent reads in this thread include: ( reviews are listed on my shelves)

Look Again
2nd Chance
Beyond Reach
[book:Takeover|3315452..."

I gave beyond reach 3 stars, could be 3.5 It started off slow and took 2 attempts to read it. By the end I was satsifed with it. You get a lot of info and background on Lena. The ending left me a little shook up

as for 2nd chance, I didn't use to enjoy Patterson but really liked the tv series ( too quickly canceled) and the books are fast reads. The characters are likeable and quite developed for being early in the series, the only thing I don't like is the crime appears to be solved but there is 100 pages or so to read so you know there is more to come.

message 8: by gina~* (new)

gina~* | 17 comments I really liked the ladies mystery club series by Patterson- "Good Reads" for sure. I agree with you Teresa about the show being cancelled too early but I think it was because it was on fridays, not a good TV night at all.

message 9: by Lori (new)

Lori (TNBBC) Im reading The Count of Monte Cristo, this could count as a crime.... hee hee.. sort of... the main guy is in jail for a crime he didnt commit... hee hee

message 10: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) I think TCOMC could be a bit of a revenge thriller! Are you enjoying it Lori?

message 11: by Lori (new)

Lori (TNBBC) Im only about 100 pages in, but so far its good. It started out with a bang.... Have you read it Fiona?

message 12: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Yep, a long time ago...

message 13: by Dorie (new)

Dorie (DorieAnn) | 464 comments I'm just about to start Michael Connelly's "The Scarecrow", so I hope it's good. I just finished a really good crime novel set in 1930's Los Angeles, "The Kind One" by Tom Epperson. It's being made into a movie and they've already cast Casey Affleck in the lead role. I also recently finished John Hart's newest "The Last Child", which was really great and just heartbreaking. I've loved all of Hart's books.

message 14: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Donna | 2002 comments Mod
I recently read Dog Eats Dog. Laugh out loud funny in parts but still a good mystery with an unexpected twist at the end. This book would make a great Coen brothers movie.

Now I am reading Snapshot by Garry Disher. He did an author visit at a local bookstore and he was delightful to talk to. Snapshot is the 3rd book in the Hal Challis series set outside of Melbourne, Australia.

message 15: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (last edited Jun 05, 2009 10:52PM) (new)

I've been re-reading The Letters of Dorothy L. Sayers  1899-1936  The Making of a Detective Novelist by Dorothy L. Sayers The Letters of Dorothy L. Sayers 1899-1936 The Making of a Detective Novelist which is slow going, but interesting. Of course (as you all know already!) I love her Peter Wimsey books. She also translated epic poetry (French, Italian and some German), wrote her own poetry, and was an accomplished violinist and singer. Good sense of humor too!

She was one of the first women, if not the first woman, to be awarded a full degree from Oxford University - previously women were allowed to attend the university as guests, and after doing all the work were given a certificate!

She also wrote numerous essays and poems on the subject of theology. A fascinating woman.

But I'm feeling a bit burnt out... I've read over 40 books in 6 months (I overdid it with the bookrings!) so this summer I'm going to take it easy and read and re-read lots of mysteries!!

Teresa in Ohio  (teresainohio) | 150 comments YoudontGnomie wrote: "I really liked the ladies mystery club series by Patterson- "Good Reads" for sure. I agree with you Teresa about the show being cancelled too early but I think it was because it was on fridays, not..."

yep, and at 10 pm? It would of fit better on a tuesday or wed, but come to think of it ABC really doesnt have these kinds of shows?

Have you watched Castle?

Teresa in Ohio  (teresainohio) | 150 comments Dorie wrote: "I'm just about to start Michael Connelly's "The Scarecrow", so I hope it's good. I just finished a really good crime novel set in 1930's Los Angeles, "The Kind One" by Tom Epperson. It's being ma..."

I am also Reading THE SCARECROW< it is setting up to be a good story. Connelly is a master storyteller, so I just sit back and read knowing the story will be good. Let me know how you are liking it? I am on around page 60

message 18: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Lori, you will LOVE COMC. It reads so much faster than most classics. It looks intimidating, but you really just don't want to stop.

message 19: by Jeane (new)

Jeane I am not reading anything at this moment...I feel so itchy, stressed..better fast take something because it doesn't feel good.But what I wanted to say: I was in the city centre of Dublin before and found a crime bookstore!!!! Not a bookstore but a crime bookstore!!!! How cool is that??? Couldn't enter because we were crossing the center very fast because of the wind and stormy rain but.....yahoo there is a crime bookstore here!!!!

message 20: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) YAY!! I want a crime book store here! How cool is that? tell them all to come here!

message 21: by Jeane (new)

Jeane Really, I thought they just put a lot of crime books in their windows...like they new a new group had been started for cirme reading and were promoting it....but on the windows there was cime bookshop!!!!! A bookshop is like paradise for me, but a crime bookshop is..???????Is there a level above paradise???

message 22: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

That really is cool.... I want one too!

message 23: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Jeane wrote: "Really, I thought they just put a lot of crime books in their windows...like they new a new group had been started for cirme reading and were promoting it....but on the windows there was cime books..."

Nirvana?

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (SusannaG) | 297 comments Just finished The Murders of Richard III, by Elizabeth Peters, which was fun (though not as fun as her Amelia Peabody mysteries), and Murder on Astor Place, by Victoria Thompson. Eh on that one.

message 25: by Jeane (new)

Jeane Fiona wrote: "Jeane wrote: "Really, I thought they just put a lot of crime books in their windows...like they new a new group had been started for cirme reading and were promoting it....but on the windows there ..."

mmmmmm....want to go!!!!!

message 26: by Dorie (new)

Dorie (DorieAnn) | 464 comments Teresa wrote: "Connelly is a master storyteller, so I just sit back and read knowing the story will be good. Let me know how you are liking it? I am on around page 60"

I've just started, but I'm already feeling for poor downsized Jack. Connelly's writing just sucks you immediately into the story, doesn't it?

message 27: by Lori (new)

Lori (TNBBC) Kandice wrote: "Lori, you will LOVE COMC. It reads so much faster than most classics. It looks intimidating, but you really just don't want to stop. "

I hope so. I was working the last two days and havent had a chance to pick it back up yet.... and tomorrow and monday look pretty busy too... I picked a bad time to start a GIGANTOR like this one :)

message 28: by Luann (new)

Luann (AZbookgal) | 47 comments Teresa wrote: "Have you watched Castle?"

A fun show. I especially loved the first episode where they had Nathan Fillion playing poker with real authors - James Patterson and Stephen J. Cannell.

message 29: by Jeane (last edited Jun 07, 2009 02:05AM) (new)

Jeane Rob wrote: "Jeane: I'd be happy just to visit Dublin...crime bookshop or no!"

:-) I haven't explored it enough and in more in detail but it is great seeing the links to the great writers they had, over the city.

message 30: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

False Scent Ngaio Marsh is another oldie, but goodie. The book is very like Agatha Christie and takes place in the home of a prima donna actress.

This is the first Marsh I have read, I think.

Teresa in Ohio  (teresainohio) | 150 comments Dorie wrote: "Teresa wrote: "Connelly is a master storyteller, so I just sit back and read knowing the story will be good. Let me know how you are liking it? I am on around page 60"

I've just started, but I'm..."
Yes he does, and a

The Poetis the other story that features Jack.

Things just keep getting worse for him : ) What page are you on?

Teresa in Ohio  (teresainohio) | 150 comments Luann wrote: "Teresa wrote: "Have you watched Castle?"

A fun show. I especially loved the first episode where they had Nathan Fillion playing poker with real authors - James Patterson and Stephen J. Cannell."

I noticed it that too, It got renewed now it only ABC would support it

message 33: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) | 472 comments Just finished Cross Country - James Patterson. Now I am gonna read Beauty - Robin McKinley.

message 34: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I'm reading The Merlin Conspiracy, and I don't know if it will be a mystery, but it did start with a mysterious death.

Charlotte (Buried in Books) | 282 comments I'm halfway through Entombed by Linda Fairstein. Enjoying this one a bit more than the last couple. Story is quite interesting as it involves Edgar Allen Poe.

I was considering giving up with this series, Alexandra Cooper is starting to grate on me just a little bit, but I'll persevere.

Had to put this to one side though while I do a challenge in another group.

message 36: by Dorie (new)

Dorie (DorieAnn) | 464 comments Teresa wrote: "Things just keep getting worse for him : ) What page are you on?"

Page 90, and I'm hating Angela right now!

Teresa in Ohio  (teresainohio) | 150 comments Dorie wrote: "Teresa wrote: "Things just keep getting worse for him : ) What page are you on?"

Page 90, and I'm hating Angela right now!
"

Got to go see what page I am on, it is the book I read at the kids baseball games,

Angela grates on my nerves, but I think something is coming for her : )

message 38: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

Finishing up Ngaio Marsh and will start tomorrow on The Shadow of the Wind... is this a mystery? I just looked at the blurb, I thought it was fantasy!

Teresa in Ohio  (teresainohio) | 150 comments Hayes wrote: "Finishing up Ngaio Marsh and will start tomorrow on The Shadow of the Wind... is this a mystery? I just looked at the blurb, I thought it was fantasy!"

I read the blurbs, I don't see fantasy here, I would call it either historical mystery or maybe it could be a stretch under fiction. The plot seems good and it got pretty good reviews,

message 40: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

Can't wait!

message 41: by Jeane (new)

Jeane Hayes wrote: "Finishing up Ngaio Marsh and will start tomorrow on The Shadow of the Wind... is this a mystery? I just looked at the blurb, I thought it was fantasy!"

I don't remember it as mystery or fantasy:-) but I loved it!!! His new book was in the shop yesterday.

message 42: by Theweebarrell (new)

Theweebarrell | 31 comments I am reading Dirty Game by Jessie Keane a bit like Martina Cole. Just Finished the first two by Ken McCoy and loved them would recommend him it the Sam Macraw Series and have just got the 3rd & 4th from the library

message 43: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 236 comments Charlotte wrote: "I'm halfway through Entombed by Linda Fairstein. Enjoying this one a bit more than the last couple. Story is quite interesting as it involves Edgar Allen Poe.

I was considering giving up wit..."

Charlotte, I think that Entombed is one of the best ones in this series. They aren't all great, but I like the series anyway.

message 44: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 236 comments I'm reading The Last Dickens A Novelby Matthew Pearl. I thoroughly enjoyed his previous two, The Dante Club A Novel and The Poe Shadow A Novel.

Teresa in Ohio  (teresainohio) | 150 comments The Way Homejust finished this one, rating around 4.25

still reading The ScarecrowThings just keep happening now on page 207

and just started Lady Killer already read over 60 pages

message 46: by Dorie (new)

Dorie (DorieAnn) | 464 comments Teresa, The Scarecrow is a real page-turner, isn't it? Right now I'm on Page 285.

message 47: by MBP (new)

MBP | 4 comments I'm reading Wicked Prey by John Sandford, the latest in the Lucas Davenport series. Very good so far.

message 48: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) | 472 comments Changed my mind and wanna read For One More Day - Mitch Albom

message 49: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) | 472 comments Just finished For One More Day - Mitch Albom. Now I am going to carry on reading Sleepyhead - Mark Billingham

Charlotte (Buried in Books) | 282 comments Kathy wrote: "Charlotte wrote: "I'm halfway through Entombed by Linda Fairstein. Enjoying this one a bit more than the last couple. Story is quite interesting as it involves Edgar Allen Poe.

I was consideri..."

Thanks Kathy, I think I only keep reading them to see if Alex and Mike will actually get together (but I think Mike's too good for her!!!).

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 22 23
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.

The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

2nd Chance (other topics)
Absent Friends (other topics)
Beyond Reach (other topics)
Look Again (other topics)
The Lightning Thief (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

John Hart (other topics)
Raymond Khoury (other topics)