The Secret Garden The Secret Garden discussion

Which books most remind you of your childhood?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 137) (137 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Colette Crowder I still enjoy this book today.

Linda Kelly Five go to Mystery Moor. Have very happy memories of reading this in secret because it was my sister's book and she used to be a meany and not share!

Akwany I loved this book, and I still do! I remember the first time it had been read to me, it was at school when I was in year two and there was a thunder storm so my teacher told us to lie down somewhere away from the windows and close our eyes. I couldn't stop thinking about it and I begged and begged my mother to buy it! She did. That was the book that I had practiced my reading on when I was younger, and I still have my own copy today!

message 4: by Ika (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ika This one! I remember it being one of the first unabridged classics I got to read on my own. In high school I've read it enough to be able to write a paper without rereading it and get a good grade.

message 5: by Pat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pat Dismukes Nancy Drew was my favorite heroine and I have a sneaking suspicion she's one of the reasons I write suspense/thrillers with cliff hangars.
Pat Dismukes
Tequila Road

Ryanne The Secret Garden definitely! And Ramona Quimby books, and the Sweet Valley High series! lol

Ryanne Oh, and the Babysitter's Club and all the Little house on the Prairie books!

Hayley Linfield When I was ten years old an aunt gave me this book. From that time, it was the only book I ever read. I read it over and over again. My mom would always make comments that my sister and I would both get new books for Christmas and birthdays, and my sister would read them all, but I only ever read The Secret Garden. When I find something I like, I stick with it. :)

(I have read other books now... but I still like to read this one once every couple of years.)

Marilyn Dick, Jane and Sally . . . the books we learned to read first.

message 10: by Tara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tara Dr. Seuss, any and all. Beatrix Potter...those were my first memories and lessons.

Andrea The Nancy Drew series. I loved these books as a child. Oh! And Walter Farley's Black Stallion series. I still have the original copies that had been gifted to me throughout my childhood. I still have memories of being so excited when I opened birthday/Christmas gifts, to find another of his novels there for me to read.

Shawn Tracy Beldon mysteries, everything Beverly Cleary and Judy Bloom.

message 13: by Liina (new)

Liina Astrid Lindgrens.. "Madlike", "The six bullerby children", " Lotta on troublemaker street".

message 14: by Eliza (last edited Jan 18, 2014 01:08AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eliza "Ella Enchanted" by Gail Carson Levine (actually, all of her books), the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling, the Magic Treehouse series by Mary Pope Osborne, the Dear America books, and the American Girl books (I loved Felicity and Molly and Samantha) are what remind me of my childhood. Such good memories. . . :)

Toodles007 Nancy Drew was and is my friend from reading her my entire childhood. Great girl to have on my side !

Licha Judy Blume books, especially Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret, Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing, and Starring Sally J. Friedman as Herself.

I also remember From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Rathbone by E.L. Konigsburg. That was always a fun book to dream away with.

The Laura Ingalls Little House on the Prairie series also remind me of childhood being some of the very first chapter books I read.

Susan I loved the 'Secret Garden' and 'Black Beauty' but my early teens were mostly filled with Point Horror and Nancy Drew.

Shannon Everything. Harry Potter was always my favorite, but there were a few books I went back to again and again either because they made me think or because I simply liked living there. Secret Garden was one. Later on, A Little Princess. A Wrinkle in Time was another...I read it again and again as a small child. Funny considering the depth of the book...

Shawn Not the same "Shawn" as an earlier post...but I loved the Trixie Belden series as well, and The Secret Garden, Madeline L'Engle's books, The Chronicles of Narnia...I grew up with my nose always in a book!

Danielle I loved this book and read to my 9 year old son... I also loved Babysitters club and Sweet Valley High. I loved Heidi at about that age and when I was a little older enjoyed Jane Eyre, Lord of the Flies, To Kill a Mockingbird and Gone with the Wind.

I wish I had read Ann of Green Gables and Alice in Wonderland, but I look forward to reading them to my daughter when she is a little older.

message 21: by SarahO (new) - added it

SarahO The American Girl books, Boxcar Children, Nancy Drew Notebooks. I used to read one series at a time until I either finished it or got bored. These are the ones I remember the most! Historical and mysteries!

message 22: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate There were so many! The Ramona Quimby books were probably some of the first books I truly loved. After that, I loved The Baby-sitters Club and Nancy Drew.

Eliza Oh, the American Girl books. . . :) Good memories there too. :)

Jenn GLaDOS "Eragon" by Christopher Paolini reminds me of my childhood as it was the very first book I read. I remember how I became extremely determined to learn how to read after I had seen the cover of the book.

Rachel I absolutely love all Sharon Creech's books. They're so sweet and fun but also poignant and sad. I also loved the Secret Garden too, and The Railway Children. Ah, memories.

message 26: by ThenSingsMySoul (last edited Nov 03, 2013 03:35PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

ThenSingsMySoul Shawn wrote: "Tracy Beldon mysteries, everything Beverly Cleary and Judy Bloom."

Trixie Belden? I loved Trixie Belden! My mom had the first 34 books and I devoured them all in one summer...

Reading Faerie The American Girls books and Baby Sitter's Little Sister books. Also Amelia's Notebook. I haven't read them in a long time, but every time I see one I think of looking through the library for them, and reading them under my blankets. ;)

Reading Faerie SarahO wrote: "The American Girl books, Boxcar Children, Nancy Drew Notebooks. I used to read one series at a time until I either finished it or got bored. These are the ones I remember the most! Historical and m..."

I used to read all those, too. Ah, good times. :)

Jennie My childhood favorites were the Anne of Green Gables series, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, and Lord of the Flies.

Jamie My favorite books from my childhood were the Chronacles of Narnia series.

message 31: by Charmaine (last edited Nov 11, 2013 11:05PM) (new) - added it

Charmaine Lloyd Enid Bylton (Favourite Five, Secret Seven, etc) and Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys. By 10 I was reading cowboy paperbacks - Louis Lamour. By 12 I was into historical romance and read every Vicotoria Holt I could lay my hands on.

Melinda Brasher Not the Secret Garden as much as A Little Princess. Also, in no particular age order: The Hero and the Crown, the Black Cauldron Series, the Babysitters' Club, Anne of Green Gables, Little House on the Prairie, Number the Stars, Ramona Quimby, The Berenstein Bears (when I was little), Dr. Seuss' classic: One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue fish. I STILL quote that.

Melinda Brasher It's funny. This kinda reveals our ages, doesn't it? :)

Linda I will agree, Nancy Drew was a childhood favorite. As a young child, it was fairy tales until I learned to read. I read Secret Garden, Little House series and Anne of Green Gables as an adult. Secret Garden and Anne from watching PBS Wonderworks program on Sunday mornings.

Ginae Scott Winnie the Pooh chapter books, Nancy Drew and Dr. Seuss were my favorite!

message 36: by Soph (new) - rated it 5 stars

Soph Ryanne wrote: "Oh, and the Babysitter's Club and all the Little house on the Prairie books!"

I still have my collection of the baby sitters club I loved that series!!!!

message 37: by Mimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi Cat's Eye, Margaret Atwood.

Maryam i LOVED the book that called:cats going to travel
everyday I Read it

Heather Anne of Green Gables. I remember getting the complete set for Christmas when I was seven or eight- it was the first "chapter book" I ever read all the way through.

Lauren The Secret Garden, The Laura Ingalls Wilder books, L.M Montgomery's books and The Narnia Chronicles.
The Ramona Quimby books were my other favourites. I related to Ramona like no other book character.

Jennie The Anne Stories by L.M. Montgomery are free today on Amazon. It includes twelve books and 142 short stories. I thought it might be of interest on this thread since so many of us have mentioned her books as a defining childhood influence.

Donna OMGosh! Secret garden was one of my favs. My mom and I read many books together, including Secret Garden, the Anne of Avalon series, Heidi and so many more. What treasurable memories!

Carolyn Ann of Green Gables, Judy Blume Books, Beverly Cleary, Amelia Bedelia, Dr. Seuss, Nancy Drew books, Secret Garden (I loved Secret Garden).

Kathy The Phantom Tollbooth

Anita Badhwar Madeline, Beverly Cleary, Judy Blume, Anne of Green Gables and the Nancy Drew series

Sonia Mae wrinkle in time, bridge to terabithia, ramona, anne of green gables, nancy drew, trixie belden, jamberry

Melinda Brasher Kathy wrote: "The Phantom Tollbooth"

The Phantom Tolbooth ROCKS!!!

Also, the Search for Delicious

Annie Winters are long up here in the Northeast. There was nothing more delicious on a snowy Friday, than to stop at the library on the way home from school and max out my card. I could get so lost in a book - OMG, could I travel!!! The best of the best: Pippi Longstocking, Little Pear, The Saturdays, Beautiful Jo, Misty of Chincoteague, The Narnia Chronicles, Little Vic, The Silver Sword, Mallory Towers, The Twins at St Claire's, The Lemonade Trick, Henry and Ribsy, Understood Betsey, Rasmus and the Vagabond, Little House in the Big Woods, Old Yeller, Little Women, Heidi, The Bobbsey Twins, Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, Cherry Ames, Black Beauty, The Outsiders, etc etc etc. The July I was 11 and stuck at the cottage with a shortage of reading material, I turned to my father's bookshelf - picked out To Kill A Mockingbird. Travelled on longer legs after that.

Sallyavena I still remember checking out 'Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe', my first chapter book that I ever read on my own in third grade. I can still see the librarians face as she helped me to chose a book and steering me towards that one. I will be forever grateful...it led me to a world of books that I still love today.

Aubrey The Boxcar Kids! Loved those books. And I have very clear memories of a long shelf in my elementary school's library filled with those yellow hardback Nancy Drew books, and I loved them all. Anne of Green Gables and The Secret Garden were another couple favorites.

« previous 1 3

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Secret Garden (other topics)
The Ghost of Windy Hill (other topics)
Little Women (other topics)
Bowser the Hound (other topics)
The Little Prince (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

L.M. Montgomery (other topics)
E.B. White (other topics)