Laugh out Loud Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
The Older Threads > July Voting Ended!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.

Comments (showing 1-8)    post a comment »
dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Only a few days left for nominations, so if there is a book you would like to add, please do so by Sunday!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Spiderlily2 wrote: "i nominate the books "The Robber Bridegroom" by Eudora Welty and "Fairest" by Gail Carson Levine.
P.S. when is the book talk for Ella Enchanted. Someone said it was this month.
"

Thanks for reminding me... I will open it now! :) Keeping me in line

message 5: by Fiona (Titch) (last edited Jun 05, 2009 11:54AM) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) The Reluctant Fundamentalist - Mohsin Hamid & The Woman Who Walked Into Doors - Roddy Doyle

The Reluctant Fundamentalist:
At a cafe table in Lahore, a bearded Pakistani man converses with an uneasy American stranger. As dusk deepens to night, he begins the tale that has brought them to this fateful meeting . . .
Changez is living an immigrant's dream of America. At the top of his class at Princeton, he is snapped up by the elite "valuation" firm of Underwood Samson. He thrives on the energy of New York, and his infatuation with elegant, beautiful Erica promises entry into Manhattan society at the same exalted level once occupied by his own family back in Lahore.
But in the wake of September 11, Changez finds his position in his adopted city suddenly overturned, and his budding relationship with Erica eclipsed by the reawakened ghosts of her past. And Changez's own identity is in seismic shift as well, unearthing allegiances more fundamental than money, power, and maybe even love.

The Woman who Walked into Doors:
'My name is Paula Spencer. I am thirty-nine years old. It was my birthday last week. I was married for eighteen years. My husband died last year. He was shot by the Guards. He left me a year before that. I threw him out. His name was Charles Spencer; everyone called him Charlo.' "The Woman Who Walked Into Doors" is one of Roddy Doyle's finest achievement to date, the heart-rending story of a woman struggling to reclaim her dignity after a violent, abusive marriage and a worsening drink problem. Paula Spencer recalls her contented childhood, the audacity she learned as a teenager, the exhilaration of her romance with Charlo, and the marriage to him that left her powerless. Capturing both her vulnerability and her strength, Doyle gives Paula a voice that is real and unforgettable. Lean, sexy, funny and poignant, "The Woman Who Walked Into Doors" shows, yet again, that Roddy Doyle has an unparalleled gift for transforming ordinary life into great literature.

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) I would like to nominate The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame and The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett.

Abbie (Abbiebum) | 205 comments i nominate the books "The Robber Bridegroom" by Eudora Welty and "Fairest" by Gail Carson Levine.
P.S. when is the book talk for Ella Enchanted. Someone said it was this month.

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey, it's that time of the month again. I am going to allow 2 nominations per person for July. Please include authors to avoid any confusion about which books you are nominating. I will close nominations and open the polls Monday the 15th, so please get your nominations in by Sunday evening. :)

Happy Nominating...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Sea Change (other topics)
The Mysterious Benedict Society (other topics)
The Robber Bridegroom (other topics)
The Secret Garden (other topics)
The Wind in the Willows (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Trenton Lee Stewart (other topics)
Aimee Friedman (other topics)