Catching Fire discussion

District 12

Comments (showing 1-12 of 12) (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Monica Edinger What happened, do you think?

Ellen (lng425) | 3 comments Well, if Gale is reliable, based on what he told Katniss, I think District 12 got blown off the map like District 13 originally was. I presume survivors were rescued by District 13. I want to know what was going in the districts while Katniss was in the arena! What was Gale up to? Haymitch? What happened to Bonnie & Twill?

message 3: by Monica (last edited Jun 03, 2009 01:54AM) (new)

Monica Edinger Do you think it is a 1984 sort of thing? Is District 13 a fully functioning place or some sort of underground type of place? One the Capital can't get at?

Monica Edinger And, yes , what was happening in the Districts? I want to know about Cinna too. Is he okay?

Ellen (lng425) | 3 comments Cinna! How could I forget! I don't think he's gone . . .

Yes, I think it's a full-functional underground, off-the-radar place. That being said, I don't see how it could be as there is no way the evil, all-seeing Capitol would not know about it. I think the Capitol must be onto District 13 but I'm not sure how or why they would let it develop and become a safe haven for rebels. I'm wary, but I do think people have to be there.

Yes, a sort of 1984 combined with Children of Men.

Laura I'm guessing that it's underground (as in "below the earth" not as in "illegal"), sort of like City of Ember. On the other hand, if their technology was that good before whatever the Capital did to it, maybe they can circumvent (jammers? shooting down drones?) Capital spies.

What Cinna did was incredible, wasn't it? Cannot see Them letting him get away with it so either he's dead or in hiding.

Monica Edinger Ah, Teri, I like that clock motif idea very much!

Laura Well, it would make sense for the Capital to keep District 13 a secret (assuming they knew it had "revived"). You can't control a population with the fear of This Could Happen To You if you see that they've survived and thrived(?? assuming that's the case, given the hovercraft).

As for the clock motif, that might make sense...

Daria (DariaP) I'm reading this aloud to a handful of students right now (we finished The Hunger Games about 2 weeks ago). One student suggested that the mockingjay that flies across the screen on the footage of District 13 had been "planted" by someone within the government who is actually part of the rebellion. That never occurred to me, but now that I think about it, I agree that it's just too coincidental that it would be a mockingjay. Any thoughts?

Today we just found out that Katniss would be returning to the arena--something that one of my girls actually predicted yesterday. (As an aside, I just have to say that I love that fact that my alternative ed, previously reluctant readers are becoming such astute readers.)

Susan Mostic | 4 comments I also like the clock motif re: the districts of Panem. It makes me wonder where the Capital and District 13 fit on the clock face.
I also wonder where the coal(apparently the principle fuel in Panem) is going to come from if District 12 has been anihilated. Decimating the district wasn't a very wise move on the part of Panem's leaders, but my sister has pointed out that this IS a bureaucracy!

Janepage | 2 comments Yea, I think at this point the Capital isn't concerned with what gets destroyed, as long as the uprisings stop! I also like the clock motif, well thought out!

Katie (Katie101) | 3 comments I like the idea of the mockingjay being planted!

Did anyone else love the fact CF was so centered around the mockinjay? i loved that. like when katniss' dress changed to the mockingjay dress. i loved that. i think it will be an even bigger part in the third book!

unread topics | mark unread