The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle, #2) The Dream Thieves question

Ronan *spoilers*
Morgan Milligan Morgan Sep 21, 2013 05:49PM
Is Ronan gay? I think that was what was implied towards the end of the book. And does he have a crush on Adam? Am I just reading too much into something that is nonexistent, or did someone else pick up on this as well? I just want to be less confused and see how other people feel about this.

He is. Maggie even admitted it on her twitter. I had a crush on a fictional boy and now it's even more impossible because I have a crush on a fictional GAY boy.

*sobs in a corner*

Zeidi OMG Me too!! Have you seen Cassandra Jean's drawings of Ronan? He's just so perfect!
Nov 03, 2014 08:01PM

I'm so glad I found this to confirm I wasn't alone in thinking this. I can't stop thinking about it. I never expected Ronan to be gay and love that its not overwhelming in the plot but so subtle and perfect. Because Adam was listed as one of his secrets I truly believe he has feelings for him. Especially as in the last two books he's wanted so much to help Adam and I think he was even a little hurt when Adam jumped to conclusions and thought it was Gansey who paid for his rent. Oh I hope they can somehow end up together but I don't know about Adam... he's such a loose cannon I can never tell what he's thinking. All and all I love the complexity of Ronan!

Maggie Stiefvater was asked this question in an interview AAAAAAAAAAAND she said she had debated answering this question, but the answer is a definate YES.. also, i think he has a crush on Gansey...
Just throwing that out there :)

I'm also glad I'm not the only one thinking this! I think he is...which is kind of a bummer because I basically developed a huge crush on him in this book haha. But I think that is the case. It'll be interesting to see where it goes in the rest of the series.

Yes, I agree. I suspected, but this thread helps me confirm it in my head.

Personally, I don't mind if a fictional character I like happens to be of a different sexuality. I'll root for them and their happiness.

I think the author handled Ronan's sexuality in such an original, tasteful way, and I think the signs are there that he has feelings for Adam. The fact that he fixed his rent at St. Agnes's is a pretty big hint. It would be great to see them together:)

Ronan is definitely gay. Looking back in the book I can see the sudle hints. And I think that he has a crush on Adam. You can tell by the things that Ronan does for Adam. But I don't think that anything will happen between Adam and Ronan. Adam has shown no sign that he was gay and I think something is gunna happen between Adam and Gansey's sister Helen. There have been a few little hints.

Ronan is always honest and he didn't deny it. It is also why his brother hates him so much. The clues are there all through the story, but it took me until the end to finally grasp it. I had a crush on him too, but I'm happy she brought such a realistic gay character to life. Adam won't feel the same way about him and that's okay. We've all had loves that aren't returned. That's part of life.

Hm. I never thought of this. I wouldn't be surprised. Though...I do think it won't matter. I'll still love his character. He's my favorite of mine in this series.

AgCl (last edited Dec 08, 2013 11:34AM ) Oct 18, 2013 03:00AM   0 votes
possibly, i mean when Kavinsky dared Ronan to tell him that "he didn't swing that way", he didnt answer it straight ,he just said he didn't feel that way for Gansey.

This comment is way late but I just read Maggie Stiefvater's blog (http://maggiestiefvater.com/2014/05/) and found out that he is gay! Oh my gosh, I feel like Maggie Stiefvater pulled a fast one on me because I didn't notice it at all!! Maybe it was due to the fact that I was so engrossed in Gansey and Blue's relationship that I didn't notice the subtle way that Ronan was being developed. But anyway, I totally wasn't expecting Ronan to turn out gay but hey, it makes the book so much more exciting and so much more dreadful because we have to wait for the third book to come out! Gah! This makes Ronan way cuter! I am glad you guys gave quote from the book as evidence. It is now all coming into place and I feel very stupid for not noticing it all earlier.

Yes, Ronan is gay (or at least bi), and yes, he has a crush on Adam. I would even go so far as to say that he is in love with Adam, considering Adam was listed as one of Ronan's Big Secrets. However, whether or not anything romantic will happen between them is unclear, as so far there has not been anything that suggests Adam is sexually or romantically interested in men.

He definitely is, which makes me really sad 'cause I'm afraid he's gonna get hurt :(

Ronan definitely at least has an attraction to men, And very likely unrequited feelings towards Adam. and to those saying he can't be badass and have a same sex attraction, you are very wrong. 8) being badass and having a same gender attraction are not mutually exclusive. There is nothing weak about being attracted to men or masculinity.

I'm pretty sure he is. He pretty much admits it to Kavinsky. It says that Ronan doesn't lie. So he didn't say anything when Kavinsky asked him straight out. Someone asked Maggie on Tumblr what Ronan's romantic feelings were. And she said "The answer is mostly already in book 2. It is there! It’s right there!" http://maggie-stiefvater.tumblr.com/p...
Personally, I think he likes Adam and I actually like that.

He definitively likes Adam. If you read the end of the books it says:
"Ronan’s second secret was Adam Parrish. Adam was different since making the bargain with Cabeswater. Stronger, stranger, farther away. It was hard not to stare at the odd and elegant lines of his face".

Also there is this quote:
“There’s reality.”
Kavinsky laughed the word. “Reality! Reality’s what other
people dream for you.”
“Reality’s where other people are,” Ronan replied. He
stretched out his arms. “What’s here, K? Nothing! No one!” “Just us.”
There was a heavy understanding in that statement, amplified by the dream. I know what you are, Kavinsky had said. “That’s not enough,” Ronan replied.
“Don’t say Dick Gansey, man. Do not say it. He is never
going to be with you. And don’t tell me you don’t swing that way,
man. I’m in your head.”
“That’s not what Gansey is to me,” Ronan said.
“You didn’t say you don’t swing that way.”
Ronan was silent. Thunder growled under his feet. “No, I
didn’t.”

Sorry for the long post!

Yes he totally is!...*Rodam*(Adam+Ronan) best(future)relationship ever cant wait for it all to be unravelled (although I loved Ronan and Kavinsky more.. just saying)!! love these books so much!:D

I haven't read dream thieves yet but while reading the raven boys, I don't know I kept having this feeling ronan was gay and had a crush on adam (I now ship them really hard) and i'm really happy to see that I'm not the only one who thought this

Nope, your not alone. I'm really not sure how this is going to go and I'm worried.

I'm so happy I'm not the only one who thought he was gay. If you look at the comments I made during the book it was me pointing it out.
I'm really glad because I feel like it's important to have gay (or lesbian) characters that have story lines that aren't solely around their sexuality. But I also want to see it outright mentioned in the next book just to know that I'm 100% right!

I mean I don't think we're reading too much into things when Ronan admitted that he does "swing that way" just that he doesn't have romantic feelings for Gansey.

I think the epilogue did make it seem like he had a crush on Adam, but who knows. I think it's something we'll have to see unfold for ourselves in the second half of the series.

Morgan wrote: "Is Ronan gay? I think that was what was implied towards the end of the book. And does he have a crush on Adam? Am I just reading too much into something that is nonexistent, or did someone else pic..."

I know, right? That was what I thought too. Ronan might have a crush on Adam. Because he totally didn't deny to Kavinsky that he was gay. Or maybe the secret just really refer to him dreaming about Adam turning into a monster BUT I have a feeling it's the first one. :)

Can anyone tell me if Gansey is developing feelings for Blue? Because I'm pretty sure Blue has feelings for Gansey

I'm pretty sure he is. The way Kavinsky implied that he is, and that Ronan flat out said that he didn't deny it pretty much all point the fact that he is gay.

I started suspecting it in Chapter 19 with these lines, "[Blue] wore a dress Ronan thought looked like a lampshade. Whatever sort of lamp it belonged on, Gansey clearly wished he had one. Ronan wasn't a fan of lamps". But I wasn't sure until the exchange with Kavinsky.

ugh... NO! he's such a badass. I refused to believe he's gay :(

I noticed that subtle hint of Ronans sexuality as well but I didn't pick up on his feelings towards Adam but yer it's totally there! Or are we just reading into it to much? I don't think so :)

It's there. he totally is. I agree. I feel sad for him now.

No. No way. I really don't think so. At least, I sure hope not! I didn't notice that at all.

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Dream Thieves (other topics)