The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Genre Discussions > Historical Crime General Discussion

Comments (showing 1-50 of 389) (389 new)    post a comment »

Fiona (bookcoop) This folder is for books such as Dissolution by C.J Sansom or The American Boy by Andrew Taylor - or other mysteries set in the past.

☯Bettie☯ Oooh what a lovely folder this one is - thanks Fiona.

:O)

message 3: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) | 2063 comments Mod
Okay Bettie... fill'er up!! I love these books but have been so fossilized! I need some new things to read!!

message 4: by ☯Bettie☯ (last edited Jun 08, 2009 11:20PM) (new)

☯Bettie☯ Have you tried Karen Maitland, Hayes? Or those mixed author mysteries such asThe Tainted Relic An Historical Mystery, which is a fun and light-read series.

message 5: by ☯Bettie☯ (last edited Jun 08, 2009 11:39PM) (new)

☯Bettie☯ You might want to have a look into some of these authors too:

Jecks Michael
Bernard Knight
Ellis Peters
Umberto Eco
Steven Saylor

When Susanna sees this section, she will fill it up with recommendations(especially the Roman crime series) as she is a connoisuer.

:O)

message 6: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

Thanks! *Yum, Yum!*

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) | 443 comments The Anatomy of Deception by Lawrence Goldstone

message 8: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (last edited Jun 09, 2009 03:17AM) (new)

psst, titch... when are you going to start using the add book thingy so we can have links to your books... ; )

PS book looks good, thanks

message 9: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Donna | 1984 comments Mod
I can recommend the Maisie Dobbs series by Jacqueline Winspear and the Didius Falco series by Lindsey Davis

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) | 443 comments Psst, Hayes, I still need to do the adding lol. I am scared to see how many books I have read or even got lol.

I promise to add my list this weekend ok.

message 11: by ☯Bettie☯ (last edited Jun 09, 2009 07:31AM) (new)

☯Bettie☯ The Anatomy of Deception looks good indeed, and now it's added on the side of this page for reference.

ETA - The Alienist is good too.

message 12: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (last edited Jun 09, 2009 07:37AM) (new)

Titch... I meant in the posts, so they show up in gold, instead of bold, (and I'm a poet and don't know it!!) That way we can see what book you're talking about right away... it's "add book/author" right above the comment box... if you click on it while you're typing a message, a little window thingy pops up and you can put links to authors and books in your comments

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) | 443 comments Ok thanks Hayes. I only ever add the link to where the book is, ie Amazon or Fantastic Fiction.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (SusannaG) | 285 comments Mistress of the Art of Death, by Ariana Franklin I liked OK - and my mother (also a mystery fiend) liked it more than I do. I believe it has two sequels, The Serpent's Tale and Grave Goods, which I haven't read (though I have The Serpent's Tale).

The Dante Club A Novel is fun. So is Medicus A Novel of the Roman Empire.

Definitely recommend both The Alienist and Maisie Dobbs.

But I think C.J. Sansom's Matthew Shardlake novels are the best historical mysteries I've ever read.

Fiona (bookcoop) I really want to read some historical crime...

I have read The American Boy by Andrew Taylor which is set in the Victorian era - and so good too. He writes most things set in the recent past then really historical though.

I have got tor read Dissolution.

message 16: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

I belong to a face-to-face historical mystery group and here are some of the authors we have read.

Cora Harrison- Medieval Ireland

Charles Todd -Inspector Ian Rutledge series in post WWI England

Rebecca Pawel- Sargent Tejada - 1940s Spain

Suzanne Arruda - Jade Del Cameron mysteries - 1920s Africa

Susanna Gregory - Matthew Barthalomew mysteries - 14th century Cabmridge

Colin Cotterill - Dr. Siri mysteries - 1970s Laos

Candace Robb - Owen Archer series - 14th century England

Will Thomas - Cyrus Barker series - Victorian England

message 17: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

wow, great list.

☯Bettie☯ My goodness Donna - this genre is not exactly lacking great picks, now is it.

JG (The Introverted Reader) My husband isn't a reader, but we have found that he loves historical crime. He's loved Caleb Carr and C.J. Sansom, so I'll have to get him to check out some of these others. I'll check them out too! Thanks for the recs guys!

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 236 comments Hey Fiona and Kandice, after just finishing and loving the 3rd Matthew Pearl book, The Last Dickens A Novel The Last Dickens  A Novel by Matthew Pearl, I was wondering if we should start a literary mystery/thriller thread, or do you want to just include them in this thread? I love all of Pearl's literary mysteries, but I think I might love The Last Dickens the most.

Fiona (bookcoop) No no feel free to create any topics you wish. I just left these topics open so people could create lists (as you wonderful people have been doing) and other discussion.

message 22: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

I just started Billy Boyle A World War II Mystery by James Benn. So far I am enjoying it. Has anyone else read this?

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (SusannaG) | 285 comments No, I haven't, Donna. Is this one recent?

message 24: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

I think it was published in 2006 and the paperback version just came out.

message 25: by Reacherfan (last edited Jul 03, 2009 08:19AM) (new)

Reacherfan | 4 comments I like Rhys Bowen's new Her Royal Spyness series set in 1932 in London. Lot's of real historical people intertwined in the stories. Bit light on the mystery part, but goes down easy. Bowen's prose is smooth as silk.

I read Steven Saylor, but I love Lindsey Davis' Marcus Didus Falco series - kind of Spenser in a toga. John Maddox Roberts' SPQR is entertaining too. Read under Vesuvius earlier this year.

Read a lot of Ellis Peters years ago. Elizabeth Peters' Amelia Peabody series has its ups and downs but is overall pretty good.

I just bought Charles Finch's A Beautiful Blue Death set in Victorian England but it's on a big TBR pile. Like Will Thomas. He has quite a few of his Baker and Llewelyn books out.

Hard to find are the books by Sheri Cobb South, but this Regency England series has good reviews. I have both of the John Pickett books on the TBR - which grows daily.

message 26: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

I finished Billy Boyle A World War II Mystery and really enjoyed it. Not a really heavy mystery but not exactly a light read either. The plot had plenty of twists and turns and as the first in the series sets up several of interesting characters that are sure to reappear in later books.

This particular book had to do with the role of Norway in WW II and I really did not know much about that so that added to my interest.

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 236 comments I just finished The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey, and now I'm obsessed with Richard III and his innocence in the matter of the princes in the tower. I've ordered 3 non-fiction books and 1 fiction book about it from Amazon to continue my reading on it. I, also, joined a group on goodreads called Richard III. As if I didn't have a long enough reading list already.

I am now reading In the Woods by Tana French, and I think it's going to live up to its hype.

Dorie (DorieAnn) | 464 comments Donna wrote: "I finished Billy Boyle A World War II Mystery and really enjoyed it. Not a really heavy mystery but not exactly a light read either. The plot had plenty of twists and turns and as th..."

Good to hear, Donna. I still have this one in my TBR pile. It's been there forever.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Historical crime fiction is a relatively new sub-genre for me but I picked up a new one recently - it's called The Consequences of Sin and is set in Edwardian England and features a young suffragette as the heroine. I've only just started reading it but it seems to be very promising. I initially bought it because the author is a fellow Aussie (although she was born in England and now lives in the US).

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (SusannaG) | 285 comments Sounds interesting, Bernadette. I may have to look for that one.

message 31: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

I recently finished The Watcher in the Pine by Rebecca Pawel which is the third book in this series set in Spain during Franco and the start of WW II. I am really enjoying this series. Since I don't know much about Spanish history I am learning a good bit and enjoying the mysteries too.

message 32: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

I just finished Death on the Nevskii Prospekt by David Dickinson which is set in Tsarist Russia at the beginning of the Russian Revolution. This is one of the later titles in the series so I think I missed a bit of character development but I did enjoy the mystery and especially the descriptions of Russia and Russians during this time.

Nancy K | 13 comments I highly recommend the Sir John Fielding series by Bruce Alexander. The first book in the series is Blind Justice. Sir John Fielding is the creator of the Bow Street Runners Police and a blind justice sitting on the bench. The books are a wonderful picture of London. I do recommend reading the books in order as the characters do age and develop relationships that continue from book to book. Blind Justice

message 34: by Ed (last edited Sep 19, 2009 11:44PM) (new)

Ed (ejhahn) | 6 comments Bettie wrote: "You might want to have a look into some of these authors too: Jecks Michael, Bernard Knight, Ellis Peters, Umberto Eco and Steven Saylor"

I really like Ellis Peters who, unfortunately is no longer with us. Steven Saylor is great, too, very historically accurate. I am not a fan of Umberto Eco, too obscure for me.

Somebody else mentioned Lindsey Davis who writes Roman based stories in the manner of Robert Parker and his ilk.

I'd like to recommend Arturo Perez-Reverte and his Captain Altariste Books. Some of his other titles dip into history ala Dan Brown. Perez-Reverte is a better writer than Brown in my opinion.

Bernard Cornwell has written a couple of historical mysteries. I particularly liked Gallows Thief.

The finest series of WW II historical spy stories which are, of course, also mysteries is Alan Furst. His literary skills are top-notch and his stories are densely plotted masterpieces.

I mustn't forget Rennie Airth's River of Darkness Takes place in Post WW I England. Very well done.

I've added some books to my already overcrowded TBR list from this discussion. Thanks, all.

message 35: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

I just finished Murder on the Eiffel Tower by Claude Izner. It was a good start to a new series with a wonderful setting during the Exposition of 1889 in Paris and the opening of the Eiffel Tower. As with some first books the plotting was a bit weak but the main characters have promise and I would probably give the next book a chance.

Jeane Bettie wrote: "You might want to have a look into some of these authors too:

Jecks Michael
Bernard Knight
Ellis Peters
Umberto Eco
[author:Steven S..."

Susanna is the one who often fills up my shelves!

Jeane Donna wrote: "I belong to a face-to-face historical mystery group and here are some of the authors we have read.

Cora Harrison- Medieval Ireland

Charles Todd -Inspector Ian Rut..."

Charles Todd has good, fast stories.

(by the way I am catching up here)

Shannon (Darwindog96) I'd like to add the Gaslight Mysteries by Victoria Thompson. I've only read the first one but there's a lot of promise there. Takes place in very early NYC when the police force was taking shape and the way to the top was by bribing, etc. There are two main characters (one a male police officer and one a widowed midwife) and am interested in how their relationship unfolds.

Jan C (woeisme) | 17842 comments I'm on about the third or fourth one. I'm getting less and less crazy about them. She's independent but she's not - like she can't make up her mind.

message 40: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

Shannon wrote: "I'd like to add the Gaslight Mysteries by Victoria Thompson. I've only read the first one but there's a lot of promise there. Takes place in very early NYC when the police force was taking shape ..."

There are a lot of them Shannon. Which one is the first of the series, do you remember?

I found it: Murder on Astor Place

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (SusannaG) | 285 comments I read Murder on Astor Place, and wasn't terribly impressed. A pity; it's a great setting for a mystery novel.

Shannon (Darwindog96) Hayes wrote: "Shannon wrote: "I'd like to add the Gaslight Mysteries by Victoria Thompson. I've only read the first one but there's a lot of promise there. Takes place in very early NYC when the police force w..."

Yes - I've only read that first one and while I liked the two main characters, wasn't too crazy about the uncovering of the "suspects", etc. But I did like that it was set in early NYC and the talk about the classes and how lower class and women were treated so differently.

message 43: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Hi Marjorie, I'm not fond of mysteries with actual historical characters as the investigator too but this one did look interesting. I might give it a try.

message 44: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Last night I finished A Dead Man in Athens by Michael Pearce. I think this is the 3rd in this series and I do think I missed a tiny bit of backstory but still an enjoyable read. Set in Greece in 1912 as the Greeks and the Turks are on the verge of war Sandor Seymour is sent from Scotland Yard to help Greek officials solve the murder of a cat, the cat of the Sultan who just may be next.

message 45: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Hi Marjorie, A Dead Man in Athens was for my F2F book group last night and a number of others in the group also mentioned the Mamur Zapt series. The group has been around a long time something like 12 years and I think they read something from the Mamur Zapt series quite some time ago - I'm a newbie to the group, only 6 years.

Anyway, the Mamur Zapt series sounds wonderful too.

message 46: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Hi Marjorie, I forgot to ask should the Mamur Zapt books be read in order? Which is the first?

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Goldstone also has a new book called "The Astronomer", which is about Copernicus. It is set in Paris in 1534. Have not read it yet, but want to. It sounds like a great historical mystery.

message 48: by K.B. (last edited Jun 23, 2010 11:17AM) (new)

K.B. Hallman (kbhallman) | 302 comments Last week I treated myself to a box of historical mysteries from eBay. So in this box were a few new-to-me authors/series:
Carole Nelson Douglas--Irene Adler series
Sharan Newman--Catherine LeVendeur and Emily Stratton series
Karen Harper
Joan Wolf
Fiona Buckley

Hannah March

It looks like you all already covered many of my favorite historical mystery series, but I didn't see any of Anne Perry's listed.

Oh, and how could I forget? Charles Palliser

message 49: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

Looks like you're going to be busy for a while, K.B. :-D

K.B. Hallman (kbhallman) | 302 comments Yes, but not on those 7 books. They'll be filler.

I also don't recall seeing Rosemary Rowe's books on this list. She does a nice series set in Ancient Rome.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8