Children's Books discussion

Books for Specific Age-Groups > ideas for a 9 year old boy?

Comments (showing 1-32 of 32) (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Tina Dalton (vulcangirl) I'm trying to encourage my 9 year old son to read more on his own. He loves for me to read to him, but rarely will choose to read to himself. I've implemented a new rule: he must read before he can play video games. He grouched at first, but soon found a Pokemon book that he ended up spending 30 minutes with.

I'd like to get some more books that he'd be interested in. Recently we've read The Spiderwick Chronicles and the Tale of Despearuex as our bedtime stories. He loves these, and they hold his attention. Does anyone have some suggestions along these same lines?

Thanks! btw, I'm new to goodreads and this group. I love both :)

Tina

Kim I LOVED Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh. That was so wonderful. Is he too young for Redwall at this point? I can't remember the age range on that. I remember also really liking Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing, Harriet the Spy and Frecklejuice at that age. And the Phantom Tollbooth. And Island of the Blue Dolphins. And Call of the Wild. And...:-)

Cheryl Whitfield (gonealthetime) Using reading shouldn't be use as an either or or option. Reading books should be something that is enjoyed by the entire family. Reading to your child is something that is timeless. Hearing stories read is the best way to share the love of reading. Maybe he can read to you and other members of the family. "Making" reading a rule devalues reading, especially when it has to compete with technology. It creates a bad light on something so important. Please continue to read to your son. This bonding time is priceless. You are making memories with him and teaching him something that he will one day share with his own children.

message 4: by Vanessa (last edited Feb 05, 2008 04:16AM) (new)

Vanessa | 10 comments My 10-year-old nephew enjoys reading books in the "Star Wars" series - there are a million of them. You might want to try him with "The Hobbit" if he likes fantasy. As a 9-year-old I loved "The Enormous Egg" (about a boy who hatches a dinosaur). Maybe "Farmer Boy" (from the "Little House" series)? Also, another amazing series that he may or may not be ready for is The Tripods (The White Mountains, The City of Gold and Lead, The Pool of Fire) by John Christopher. Good luck!

Amy Lindsay i can't help but wax a bit teacherly and say that you want to find books that he can enjoy and read pretty well on his own. i don't believe "reading levels" should totally restrict what we hand kids to read, but you certainly want to take it into consideration. if he stumbles on more than two words per page, help him find an easier book (and trust that he'll become a strong reader pretty quickly if you keep up the 30 minutes per night). suggestions: captain underpants, franny k. stien, hank zipzer (you could read the first w/ him and then let him read the rest of the series on his own), judy moody, clementine, Dragon Ball Z graphic novels, (i've had more than one fourth grader make huge leaps w/ DBZ), and baby mouse.

Anna (olive415) Tina, I have to agree with the recommendations of Mrs. Frisby and Rats of NIMH and Tales of the Forth Grade Nothing.

One series that I would also recommend is the Geronimo Stilton series.
http://www.scholastic.com/titles/gero...
The adventure/mystery series really fun for kids that age and the words are "illustrated" for lack of a better work. So for example if someone was described as furry, the typeface of the word would be furry looking. I don't know if this is making sense.

Finally, I would do whatever works for your family. I think that is unfair for others to tell you how to parent without knowing your child or your situation.

Prabha Hi Tina. Just to share with you my experiences with my children...

I have been reading aloud to the children since they were babies, and books have been very much a part of their lives. My daughter took to reading like a duck to water, but to my surprise, my 8 year old boy was a really reluctant reader. I too try to encourage them to read awhile just before bedtime, but it's been tough finding him something that can sustain his interest. Until we discovered Captain Underpants. He really enjoyed it, and we scouted around for more of the series.He even read parts of it out aloud to me! Then i started reading the first Harry Potter book with him, as he really enjoyed the movie, and now he is reading that on his own. Looks like it's off-beat humour and magical adventures that interest him for now. I'll go with anything so long as he's finally enjoying reading :)

Tina Dalton (vulcangirl) I understand your concern and believe me, I was very hesitant to make this rule. However, if I don't regulate his video game time he will play until he literally makes himself sick. He doesn't have to read to earn time on Friday or Saturday, just the weekdays. I read to my kids every night, don't worry:) I'm simply looking for ways to motivate and encourage him to read on his own. He's lagging behind for his age. I can read to him for hours, but that isn't going to increase his ability to read aloud smoothly.

Tina Dalton (vulcangirl) We love Dav Pilkey in our house, too. Having three sons and no daughters, I quickly realized that Cpt. Underpants was just just the type of humor they love. My 1st grade loves to read the Ricky Ricotta books too. Harry Potter is a great idea. Thanks :)

Tina Dalton (vulcangirl) Thanks for your kind comments. I certainly didn't explain my "whole situation" in my initial post, nor do I feel a need to. This wasn't a decision we came to lightly, and we're doing what we feel is best for our boys.

I'm headed to the library with a huge list of books to look for, thanks to all these great suggestions!!

Tiff (TiffE) Here are 3 ideas from my experience with boys this age:

1. Time Warp Trio series by Jon Scieszka

2. Spiderwick Chronicles series by Tony DiTerlizzi

3. Jumanji and Zathura by Chris van Allsburg [not chapter books but GREAT stories]

Also, check out http://www.guysread.com/ for tons more ideas!!!

message 12: by L (new)

L My 10 year old doesn't like to read but will read the Pirates of the Caribbean/ Jack Sparrow books. There are at least 9 books so far. They are about a young Jack Sparrow.

Rebecca (RebeccaBird) I have an 8.5 year old and I'm a teacher. These are some of the faves that I've seen:
*Goosebumps (mystery series)
*Holes
*Little Steps
*Charlie Bone Series
*The Littles Series
*The Diary of a Wimpy Kid Series (they're like a comic book, which can be a draw for boys this age)
*Time Warp Trio
*ANY Roald Dahl book. Jack's current fave is Danny the Champion of the World.
*The Trumpet of the Swan/Stuart Little
*The Mouse and the Motorcycle
*A Cricket in Times Square (LOVE!)

Amy (Ldtchr) Many of our boys also love the Time Warp books. I know one of our 4th grade readers recommends the Wishbone chapter books and Harry Potter. We also enjoy the Henry Winkler books (Hank Zipzer) and have been reading some Carole Marsh mysteries which my "Pokemon" boys are getting into - she bases her characters on real kids and includes short bios of them in each book.

Another one we are all enjoying right now is The Invention of Hugo Cabret (by Brian Selznick) which is a novel in words and pictures. The sketches are amazing and since we're reading it in a group we pause which encourages them to predict and make inferences with each spread - adds to the suspense and is easier to go back if we feel like we might have missed something.

Another route is the graphic novel. Many are based on topics that are game related and some are definitely not so great for younger kids, but I saw a few at the library today that were definite draws and had more broadly applicable content. I've been looking and there are now graphic novels for Artemis Fowl, the Hardy Boys, Redwall, Goosebumps and even the Left Behind Series.

I also encourage some of my more reluctant boy readers to check out magazines - National Geographic Kids or a new one that I was thinking about checking out was Zamoof!.

Dani (bunnyunderground) I also think that Selznick's The Invention of Hugo Cabret is a great choice.

Also Jerry Spinelli writes great books. I can't think of any kid who hasn't loved "Maniac Magee."

I loved Brian Jacques's "Redwall" series when I was young. Every book is packed full of adventures and heroes.

The Amazing Spider-Man series is a fun graphic novel to read. I'd also recommend "Mouse Guard," which is along the same lines as Redwall and Tale of Despeareux.

Also, Bridge to Terabithia is a beautiful book for young readers.

Rebecca (RebeccaBird) Oh yes, my son LOVES Maniac Magee.

I adore Despeareux and any other books written by Kate DiCamillo. "Edward Tulane" is just adorable.

Amy (Ldtchr) Some kids really don't get into fiction for a while (if ever), but there are some great series now for non-fiction readers. Contemporary biographies or National Geographic series. Another site I like to check out for ideas or have my students visit when they're stuck is http://www.kidsreads.com. Sometimes, just being able to have a place to voice their opinion or see what other kids say can make a huge difference.

Auntie J Hi Abigail,

I tutor a 9 year old boy :)

I loved the Gregor the Overlander series, The Phantom Tollbooth is one of my favorites from childhood. The Tripods series is also one of my favorites, but I'd put that at about 5th/6th grade. Captian Underpants is certainly popular with boys. Liked the Charlie Bone series too. I recently read the first in the Time Warp Trio series and have it on my list to give to my student. So, I'll second those, you've definately gotten some good recommendations already.

I'd also suggest the Scooby Doo books, Magic Treehouse, Jigsaw Jones #01: Case Of Hermie the missing hamster by James Preller, James Commander Toad in Space by Jane Yolen, Jane, The Curse of Snake Island #1 (Pirate School) by Brian James, Secret in the Tower: Time Spies, Book 1 (Time Spies) by Candice Ransom, Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle by Betty MacDonald, The Dangerous Book for Boys by Conn Iggulden, Bartlett and the Ice Voyage by Odo Hirsch, The Hidden Stairs and the Magic Carpet (Secrets of Droon) by Tony Abbott, The Qwikpick Adventure Society by Sam Riddleburger, Cracked Classics: What a Trip! - Book #3: Around the World in Eighty Days (Cracked Classics) by Tony Abbott, Shredderman: Secret Identity by Wendelin Van Draanen, Spy X: The Code by Peter Lerangis, The Name of this Book is Secret by Pseudonymous Bosch, Holes by Louis Sachar, The Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet by Eleanor Cameron, Half Magic by Edward Eager, Finn Family Moomintroll by Tove Jansson.

Lisa (TRMite) I'd try to hook him on a series... goosebumps is forever popular. Lemony Snickett is great for humor and really any graphic novel series is going to be a great way to gain a hungry thirst for more. manga is particularly popular with video game fans.

one more suggestion, have the librarian help him browse the children's nonfiction and choose stuff based on his interests. also, why not let him feed into his video game interest by reading nonfiction and magazines on that topic? your local children's librarian can help you find stuff on gaming that is age appropriate.
good luck!!!

Tracy My son says he doesn't like to read but it depends on the material. However, I started a Friday night read for 30 minutes rule.(It helps we don't have cable and have an ancient TV!) We both get in comfy PJs and read on the couch. I started reading funny parts aloud and he has picked up on doing the same.

The fiction books he likes so far...
The Bunnicula series and my old Soup books.

He loves to read sports magazines or articles about from the paper on things he is interested in. I teach, so my rule at school and home is as long as you are reading, I am happy!

Rebecca (RebeccaBird) I would also recommend The City of Ember series by Jeanne DuPrau. There are three books and they're all wonderful! My daughter devoured them.

She also loves anything by the author AVI, and I bet that he would too once he got into them.

Carolyn The reluctant readers in my classroom swallow up the Bone graphic novels as though they are chocolate.

Carolyn I haven't used it yet, but have found this link, http://bookwizard.scholastic.com/tbw/... with a gizmo called Book-alike. You type in a book that your child really enjoys, at a good reading level for him/her, and it generates a list of books that are similar in genre and reading level. It is on the Scholastic site, but I think they do recommend books from other publishers, too.

Carolyn Rebecca wrote: "Oh yes, my son LOVES Maniac Magee.

I adore Despeareux and any other books written by Kate DiCamillo. "Edward Tulane" is just adorable. "

Rebecca, I tried your kidsreads link, but it didn't work. Could you check the URL? Sounds like a good site.

Svetlana Kovalkova-McKenna | 19 comments The Battle for Skandia (Ranger's Apprentice, Book 4) by John Flanagan The Icebound Land (Ranger's Apprentice, Book 3) by John Flanagan [image error] The Ruins of Gorlan (Ranger's Apprentice, Book 1) by John Flanagan The Sorcerer in the North (Ranger's Apprentice, Book 5) by John Flanagan The Siege of Macindaw (Ranger's Apprentice, Book 6) by John FlanaganThe Sorcerer in the NorthThe Ranger's Apprentice series are great, fast paced adventure read for boys, he won't consider them boring.

message 26: by Aylin (last edited Aug 10, 2009 08:23AM) (new)

Aylin (Aylin☼) Idea- start to read to him (maybe before bed) until he is hooked on a book then leave him to finish. If he doesn't get hooked then try a different book.

Agree with:
City of Ember series (4 books)
Phantom Tollbooth
Holes
Diary of a Wimpy Kid

Also:
The Giver
Flush; Scat; Hoot - all by Hiaasen
The Mysterious Benedict Society and it's sequel
Enders Game
The 39 Clues series
The Percy Jackson series (The Lightening Thief, etc)
The Inheritance Cycle (Eragon, Eldest, Brinsingr)

Miriam | 53 comments My brother at that age quite liked Eight Days of Luke by Diana Wynne Jones. I think it was one of about three books that he read voluntarily.

If your son is interested in puzzles you might also try Blue Balliett's mystery series that starts with Chasing Vermeer. They are mentally challenging without being difficult in terms of reading level.

message 28: by Aylin (last edited Aug 11, 2009 09:54AM) (new)

Aylin (Aylin☼) My son also read Eight Days of Luke and liked it. Sounds like winner!

Aylin (Aylin☼) I actually have Eight Days of Luke ISBN 0064473570 if anyone wants to swap for another children's book around the same reading level or higher.

Shannon (sianin) | 129 comments Cheryl wrote: "Using reading shouldn't be use as an either or or option. Reading books should be something that is enjoyed by the entire family. Reading to your child is something that is timeless. Hearing sto..."

I second the Star Wars books. I myself have not read any but my son loves them as he is so into Star Wars Video games and the movies.

I don't know much about graphic novels but wonder if some of those would be of interest to your son.

Lots of other great suggestions but I didn't see Bunnicula - there are several in this series as well and he might like those.The Celery Stalks at Midnight or from the house of Bunnicula: Invasion of the Mind Swappers from Asteroid 6!

Oh, and here is one that he will totally LOVE. It has all the things that boys like: animals, dog poo, adventure, dog poo, characters he can relate to, dog poo....Rover Adventures The Giggler Treatment, Rover Saves Christmas, The Meanwhile Adventures I have not met a kid that doesn't like this book

Shannon (sianin) | 129 comments Hey Tina:

So what has grabbed the attention of your son out of all of these suggestions? I am still doing the bulk of the reading for my son (he's 8) but in part because he is in french immersion and has not started learning to read in english (at least at school) yet. As he teaches himself I will be going over this list again to see what may work for him. captain underpants is high on that list.

Terry (ReadingTub) We love the Roscoe Riley Rules series. They are a fun, wholesome counterpart to Captain Underpants. They are loaded with dialogue, which is great for new and transitional readers.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Icebound Land (other topics)
The Burning Bridge (other topics)
The Siege of Macindaw (other topics)
The Battle for Skandia (other topics)
The Ruins of Gorlan (other topics)
More...