J.R.R. Tolkien discussion

113 views
First & Second Ages > Novelizing 'tales of the elder days'

Comments (showing 1-28 of 28) (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Mountainman91 | 6 comments In the 'tales of the elder days' discussion board, the possibility of making complete novels (like the Lord of the Rings)of some of them was discussed. This is such an interesting possibility that I thought it deserved a topic all of its own. Some ideas were 'the Lay of Beren and Luthien' and 'The Children of Hurin. Do you guys have ideas and comments on what would go into a good Tolkien/middle-earth book? Any input would be great.


Ebster Davis | 12 comments I really think the Lay of Luthien and Beren would be great to expand to a full-book. Reading it in the simirillion felt like reading a cliff notes version of an epic, only no one ever wrote it!


message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Ebster wrote: "I really think the Lay of Luthien and Beren would be great to expand to a full-book. Reading it in the simirillion felt like reading a cliff notes version of an epic, only no one ever wrote it!"

The Lay of Leithian is real. It's unfinished, but it is a real poem, written by Tolkien. Also, The Children of Húrin was published a year or two ago as a novel. But, interestingly enough, you make a good point, whoever-you-are (Mountainman91): Tolkien hoped, once in his life, that people would add to his work and history after he had passed on, creating a corpus of realistic fictional history.


Sidhe (SidhePrankster) | 28 comments That does sound like a grand idea. Of course, a novel of The Children of Hurin already exists-- Christopher Tolkien finished it using his father's notes and published it a couple of years ago-- but I think that a novel version of Luthien and Beren would be fantastic! I agree with Ebster that reading the short story seems like an overview of a longer work.


Stefan (Stefan31) | 109 comments Mod
It's not really a "Tale of the Elder Days," but I'd really like to read the back-story of Bert, Tom and Bill's adventures before meeting up with Bilbo, Thorin and Co.


Michael | 285 comments Mod
Stefan wrote: "It's not really a "Tale of the Elder Days," but I'd really like to read the back-story of Bert, Tom and Bill's adventures before meeting up with Bilbo, Thorin and Co."

Good one - they had some interesting objects in their treasure hoard - where did they get them?


Stefan (Stefan31) | 109 comments Mod
They also comment on (view spoiler)


Connor (ConnorK) | 32 comments Ebster wrote: "I really think the Lay of Luthien and Beren would be great to expand to a full-book. Reading it in the simirillion felt like reading a cliff notes version of an epic, only no one ever wrote it!"

I agree. Beren and Luthien would be great as a novel like The Children of Hurin.


Michael | 285 comments Mod
I preferred Beren as a character - seemed like a nicer person - than Túrin, and his story is incredible. I haven't read The Children of Húrin yet, and so am selfishly lining it up for a Group Read!


Connor (ConnorK) | 32 comments The Children of Hurin was excellent (as I'm sure you've heard time and time again). Beren does seem nicer than Turin though. I need to read it again. I don't remember much of what happened except him losing his hand and junk...


message 11: by Michael (last edited Jun 15, 2012 03:00PM) (new)

Michael | 285 comments Mod
I don't think he lost his junk; just his hand.


Connor (ConnorK) | 32 comments Well, yeah, I know, lol. I used "junk" as a filler as I remember a couple other things.


Stefan (Stefan31) | 109 comments Mod
Michael wrote: "I don't think he lost his junk; just his hand."

Hilarious!


Pallavi (pallavigambhire) | 45 comments Michael wrote: "I preferred Beren as a character - seemed like a nicer person - than Túrin, and his story is incredible. I haven't read The Children of Húrin yet, and so am selfishly lining it up for a Group Read!"
I read "The Children of Hurin" a couple of years ago, and unfortunately left it back home in India. It is not one of my favorite Tolkien works though and it may be the only part in Silmarillion that I wished would be over soon.


Michael | 285 comments Mod
Connor wrote: "Well, yeah, I know, lol. I used "junk" as a filler as I remember a couple other things."

I should have put a smiley - Joke :-D


Ebster Davis | 12 comments Pallavi wrote: "Michael wrote: "I preferred Beren as a character - seemed like a nicer person - than Túrin, and his story is incredible. I haven't read The Children of Húrin yet, and so am selfishly lining it up f..."

I liked Turin, he was so valiant and brave in the face of whatever adversity Morgoth could cook up.

He also has the "pity factor" of making all the wrong choices for all the right reasons.


Pallavi (pallavigambhire) | 45 comments Stefan wrote: "It's not really a "Tale of the Elder Days," but I'd really like to read the back-story of Bert, Tom and Bill's adventures before meeting up with Bilbo, Thorin and Co."
I would love to read this backstory too!


Katherine | 15 comments Tolkien created so many great characters that I think deserve a longer story. Tom Bombadil and the River Daughter, Aragorn and Arwen before the war, Elrond around the time he chose to be an elf and his brother chose to be human or when their parents left, Idril and Tuor (I hope I got his name right), Faramir and Eowyn after LOtR, Eorl the young, even people that were barely mentioned like Helm hammerhand or Aragorn's son. I think any of these (and many more) could make great stories and characters.


Anne Marie Gazzolo | 159 comments Mod
Katherine wrote: "Tolkien created so many great characters that I think deserve a longer story. Tom Bombadil and the River Daughter, Aragorn and Arwen before the war, Elrond around the time he chose to be an elf and..."

Oh, indeed, Katherine. Personally I would most want to know what Frodo's life in the West was like.

Along these lines too, I saw Born of Hope recently about Arathorn and Gilraen and enjoyed it. The acting and the costumes were quite well done and I enjoyed the story. It's on YouTube. Better than the Hobbit movies.

Namarie, God bless, Anne Marie :)


Pallavi (pallavigambhire) | 45 comments Anne: Thanks for the tip on "Born of Hope" I know what I am doing this evening :)


Anne Marie Gazzolo | 159 comments Mod
Pallavi wrote: "Anne: Thanks for the tip on "Born of Hope" I know what I am doing this evening :)"

Enjoy! It's about 1 hr 15 minutes or so. Some of the later action scenes are a little choppy in the editing but otherwise it's quite enjoyable. Have you seen The Hunt of Gollum? It's there also and another fan film.

Namarie, God bless, Anne Marie :)


Pallavi (pallavigambhire) | 45 comments Thanks Anne! I haven't seen it yet and I am really excited to check them out!


Katherine | 15 comments Yes, thanks for mentioning those Anne. I'll check them out.


Richard Sutton (RichardSutton) | 54 comments There are two books assembled after Tolkien's death which contain material relating to several of the stories you mention, Katherine. Tuor's journey at the beginning of the second age (i think...) and Elrond are both found in Tales from the Perilous Realm and Unfinished Tales, both edited by his son Christopher:
Tales from the Perilous Realm with Roverandom
Unfinished Tales of Númenor and Middle-Earth


Katherine | 15 comments Oh, cool, thanks. I think I have those but haven't read them yet.


Anne Marie Gazzolo | 159 comments Mod
Pallavi and Katherine, enjoy the films! It's been a while since I was Hunt, but Born I consider better the Hobbit movies. Born actually has a plot, great costumes and great acting.

Namarie, God bless, Anne Marie :)


Katherine | 15 comments Yeah, I agree now that I have seen them.


Anne Marie Gazzolo | 159 comments Mod
Katherine wrote: "Yeah, I agree now that I have seen them."

Glad you agree! :)

Namarie, God bless, Anne Marie :)


back to top