The Life of a Book Addict discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Currently Reading! > What Members Are Reading

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.

Comments (showing 2875-2924)    post a comment »

message 2924: by Carole (new)

Carole Mackay | 7 comments K.B. wrote: "Carole wrote: "I am currently reading The Egyptian by Mika Waltari. It was published in 1949 and considered obscene at the time. The story takes place in ancienct Egypt in the 14th century B.C.E...."

I had no problem getting it from Chapters online in Canada.

message 2923: by K.B. (new)

K.B. Hallman (kbhallman) | 321 comments Carole wrote: "I am currently reading The Egyptian by Mika Waltari. It was published in 1949 and considered obscene at the time. The story takes place in ancienct Egypt in the 14th century B.C.E. era and is abo..."

That sounds like a good one. But, geesh, it's not readily available, is it?

message 2922: by Laura Beth (new)

Laura Beth (tampabookworm) | 220 comments Ahhhh! That's no help! ROFL
Think I will read The Iron King first since it is either a love or hate book.

message 2921: by K.B. (new)

K.B. Hallman (kbhallman) | 321 comments Laura wrote: "Picking up these three from the library after work.. which one should I read first?

Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega, #1) by Patricia Briggs The Iron King (Iron Fey, #1) by Julie Kagawa Healer A Novel (The Brides of Alba Series) by Linda Windsor"

The one with the most tempting cover. :) Sorry, couldn't resist. I did so enjoy that thread.

message 2920: by Laura Beth (new)

Laura Beth (tampabookworm) | 220 comments Picking up these three from the library after work.. which one should I read first?

Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega, #1) by Patricia Briggs The Iron King (Iron Fey, #1) by Julie Kagawa Healer A Novel (The Brides of Alba Series) by Linda Windsor

message 2918: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) | 190 comments I just finished The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón and am now reading The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield.

message 2917: by Carole (last edited Aug 11, 2010 11:35AM) (new)

Carole Mackay | 7 comments I am currently reading The Egyptian by Mika Waltari. It was published in 1949 and considered obscene at the time. The story takes place in ancienct Egypt in the 14th century B.C.E. era and is about an Egyptian named, Sinuhe. It is about Sinuhe's journey from nowhere to becoming the personal physican to the pharoah. So far I can't put this book down.

message 2916: by Vicki (new)

Vicki I am currently reading The Blood of Flowers and Double Bind.

message 2915: by Vicki (new)

Vicki LynnB wrote: "I just finished The Secret Scripture by Sebastian Barry. It's set in current Ireland and tells the story of an almost-100-year-old woman through her voice and that of her psychiatri..."

Loved your detail comments, I have this one on my shelf. I think I really need to pick it up soon.

message 2914: by Flora (new)

Flora Smith (BookwormFlo) | 197 comments I am over half thru The Iliad and just finished Rebecca. I'm getting ready to start The Secret Life of Bees

message 2913: by LynnB (new)

LynnB I've started The Fruit of Her Hands: The Story of Shira of Ashkenaz by Michelle Cameron. So far it's very interesting. Historical fiction, set in the 13th century, about one of the author's ancestors.

message 2912: by Jane from B.C. (new)

Jane from B.C. (Janethebookworm) | 80 comments Hi Marialyce,

Yes, I did enjoy The Hunger Games. I had just come off reading The Story of Edgar Sawtelle before it, so I had to adjust to a story that was not as heavy in descriptive prose as "Story of Edgar...". I thought that "Hunger Games" was chilling and well paced. Yet, I think it was descriptive enough for a YA book as it is violent and subject matter heavy. I am eager to read the next two in the series.

message 2911: by Marialyce (new)

Marialyce | 1242 comments Jane wrote: "Just finishedThe Hunger Games and am now onto The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag."

I just finished that book too! Did you like it, Jane?

message 2910: by K.B. (new)

K.B. Hallman (kbhallman) | 321 comments Back on The Passage and somewhere after p. 150, the setup ends and the excitement begins.

message 2908: by Moon (new)

Moon | 214 comments I'm finally going to tackle The Histories by Herodotus.

message 2907: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (MichelleMyhill) I'm almost half way through The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson and I just started A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick on my nook.

message 2906: by Linda (new)

Linda | 160 comments Chris wrote: "Linda - I did finish it and wished I hadn't, it's possibly the worst book I've ever read!!"

That book really made me mad, it was so bad. The reviews didn't seem that bad or I never would have bought it, but It's nice to know someone else hated it too and it's not just me.

message 2905: by LynnB (new)

LynnB I just finished The Secret Scripture by Sebastian Barry. It's set in current Ireland and tells the story of an almost-100-year-old woman through her voice and that of her psychiatrist, as she has been living in an insane asylum for most of her life. The question is why. Most of the story she tells takes place in the 1930's and 40's. The imagery in this story was wonderful - I could picture every place and every situation easily. The story made me so angry and so sad; the author has no problem creating emotion in this story.

message 2904: by Chris (new)

Chris (ChrisTMax) | 193 comments Linda - I did finish it and wished I hadn't, it's possibly the worst book I've ever read!!

message 2903: by K.B. (new)

K.B. Hallman (kbhallman) | 321 comments Taking a breather from The Passage and reading Missing. Mudbound arrived in the mail yesterday so I'll be starting that one soon.

message 2902: by Sue (new)

Sue | 13 comments I finished Mudbound. It wasn't my cup of tea. I know some people have really liked it. For me, it was too careful and I just didn't get swept up in the story.
Started Bless Me Ultima and Gods Behaving Badly. Four books going now, sigh, I have got to quit doing that!

message 2901: by Shandy (new)

Shandy | 2 comments Currently reading One Day by David Nicholls. The movie is being made as we speak so get in their quickly. Great British read...

message 2900: by Tasha (new)

Tasha I'm reading an oldie, Celia Garth.

message 2899: by Chris (new)

Chris (ChrisTMax) | 193 comments Linda wrote: "Chris wrote: "I'm on page 100 of Ravens by George Dawes Green and I'ts not really working for me. Has anyone read it? Should I keep going?"

This was my "most hated" book of 2009. I just hated the ..."

Thanks so much, I absolutely hate it too and as you say, I don't like ANY of the characters good or bad.
It is so not believable I can't believe why I've stuck with it so long - I'm definitely starting something else!

message 2898: by Linda (new)

Linda | 160 comments Chris wrote: "I'm on page 100 of Ravens by George Dawes Green and I'ts not really working for me. Has anyone read it? Should I keep going?"

This was my "most hated" book of 2009. I just hated the characters, the good guys and the bad guys. Don't waste your time if you have anything else waiting to be read.

message 2897: by Richard (new)

Richard (nemzep95) I just finished The Host by Stephenie Meyer and am starting The Maze Runner by James Dashner.

message 2896: by Marialyce (new)

Marialyce | 1242 comments I am reading The Hunger Games (Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins.

message 2895: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessilouwho22) I'm about 200 pages away from finishing East of Eden, and I'm loving it. Steinbeck is one of my very favorite authors.

message 2894: by Jane from B.C. (new)

Jane from B.C. (Janethebookworm) | 80 comments I am getting to the end of The Story of Edgar Sawtelle.
I was really drawn into the book in the beginning - wonderful description and engaging story. But the book dragged for me in the fourth section. It has picked up again. I will finish it today.

message 2893: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (KristiCasey) | 660 comments Sarah Jan wrote: "K.B. wrote: "Kristi wrote: "K.B. wrote: "Started The Passage for the group read. Bleak."

I know it's daunting because of it's size, but I thought it was good. Looooooong, but good. ..."

Sarah Jan, enjoy! It is a great book. I discuss it with people (even if they haven't read it) because I enjoyed the story line so much. I did find it a bit long though. There were parts I was sure just didn't need to be included, but maybe you and KB will disagree.

message 2892: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (KristiCasey) | 660 comments K.B. wrote: "Kristi wrote: "K.B. wrote: "Started The Passage for the group read. Bleak."

I know it's daunting because of it's size, but I thought it was good. Looooooong, but good. ;)"

I'm ..."

Glad to hear you're liking the story. Bleak? Nahhh, whatever gave you that opinion? ha ha ha. The end of the world as we know it is bleak?? (& No that's not a spoiler!)

message 2891: by Caity (new)

Caity (adivineeternity) I'm reading The Sweet Far Thing and Mistborn: The Final Empire and I might pick up a third, most likely one of my Bill Bryson books or possibly Hunger Games.

message 2890: by Chris (new)

Chris (ChrisTMax) | 193 comments LynnB wrote: "I'm starting The Secret Scripture by Sebastian Barry. I've been hearing good things about it."

I really enjoyed it - hope you do too.

message 2889: by Kim (new)

message 2888: by LynnB (new)

LynnB I'm starting The Secret Scripture by Sebastian Barry. I've been hearing good things about it.

message 2887: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (betsy78) | 268 comments Currenlty reading Rules Of Prey by John Sandford.

message 2886: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (LynnEllingwood) | 64 comments Mary wrote: "I'm currently reading Everything That Rises Must Converge. It's my first Flannery O'Connor, believe it or not! liking it so far."

I love Flannery O'Connor. Read her years ago. Good choice.

message 2885: by Mary (new)

Mary (madamefifi) | 183 comments I'm currently reading Everything That Rises Must Converge. It's my first Flannery O'Connor, believe it or not! liking it so far.

message 2884: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (LynnEllingwood) | 64 comments It seems like a really good book. Read the first couple of chapters.

message 2883: by Sarah Jan (new)

Sarah Jan | 431 comments K.B. wrote: "Kristi wrote: "K.B. wrote: "Started The Passage for the group read. Bleak."

I know it's daunting because of it's size, but I thought it was good. Looooooong, but good. ;)"

I'm ..."

I'm reading The Passage also and I can hardly put it down. I'm totally into the story.

message 2882: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (LynnEllingwood) | 64 comments I just finished Lying with the Dead and am now starting Street Shadows.

message 2881: by Dennis (last edited Aug 08, 2010 10:49AM) (new)

Dennis Just finished "The Lost Gospel" by Herbert Krosny and "The Ship" by C.S. Forester.
Started "A Cafe On The Nile" by Bartle Bull, and "Hermann Goring - Fighter Ace" by Peter Kilduff.

So many books...

message 2880: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenfaith) | 3 comments I just finished The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest and pulled out a rolled piece of paper with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo written on it. Hehe. I've put myself into a 10-book reading marathon so that I can buy a new book as a reward to myself. I really really need to do something with that pile and shelves of unread books, hence the 10-book rule. :D

message 2879: by K.B. (new)

K.B. Hallman (kbhallman) | 321 comments Moony wrote: "I'm half through Horns by Joe Hill. It has an interesting premise. Although I don't think that whole section of backstory was necessary, it could have been included in subsequent chapters like the ..."

I lost interest in Horns. A shame really, because Hill is such a chip of the old block!

message 2878: by Chris (new)

Chris (ChrisTMax) | 193 comments I'm on page 100 of Ravens by George Dawes Green and I'ts not really working for me. Has anyone read it? Should I keep going?

message 2877: by Moon (new)

Moon | 214 comments I'm half through Horns by Joe Hill. It has an interesting premise. Although I don't think that whole section of backstory was necessary, it could have been included in subsequent chapters like the one following about how Ig and Mirren broke up before he left for Europe.

message 2876: by Kristin (new)

Kristin (kgansor) | 47 comments I'm reading, Twelve Sharp (Stephanie Plum, #12) by Janet Evanovich.. I just love all of her books!

message 2875: by K.B. (new)

K.B. Hallman (kbhallman) | 321 comments Kristi wrote: "K.B. wrote: "Started The Passage for the group read. Bleak."

I'm not daunted. Size has nothing to do with it. It's very well written and keeps drawing me in, but it's bleak.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Little Giant of Aberdeen County (other topics)
Into the Wild (other topics)
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings (other topics)
The Legend of Sigurd & Gudrún (other topics)
Our Mutual Friend (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Diana Gabaldon (other topics)
Gabriel García Márquez (other topics)
Beverly Lewis (other topics)
Stephenie Meyer (other topics)
Jhumpa Lahiri (other topics)
More...