Vayanashala discussion

M.Krishnan Nair

Comments (showing 1-8 of 8) (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Parthasarathy (last edited Sep 15, 2013 06:56PM) (new)

Parthasarathy Warrier Hi All

Anybody remember M.Krishnan Nair??. He was one of the best critic and writer. Though he was a Malayalam professor he used to give reviews of world literature through an excellent programme called 'Sahithya Varaphalam' for a long time.

Is there any book form of those weekly column.? I believe those writings appeared in Kala Kaumudi weekly in late 80's and early 90's.

Please let me know if any publisher has made those articles into a book form.?? Or anybody have those magazine pages in original.??

message 2: by Jayaram (new)

Jayaram | 23 comments Hello,Current Books Thrissur has published a big hard bound volume of SAHITYAVARABHALAM. Check with them

message 3: by Parthasarathy (new)

Parthasarathy Warrier Thanks Jayaram for the information. I will check it.

message 4: by Parthasarathy (last edited Nov 07, 2013 01:24AM) (new)

Parthasarathy Warrier I have checked with DC/Currnt books. Not available. Have to wait for next edition.

message 5: by Jose (new)

Jose Puttanani | 5 comments You will never find M Krishnan Nair writing anything about Indian or Malayali writers. For him everything foreign was excellent and anything Indian was trash.

message 6: by Parthasarathy (new)

Parthasarathy Warrier He was doing what he good at. His intention was to reach world literature to common readers and for ambitious writers so that they will get an overview of world lit. Most of the writers did their best works when they stay away from native place ( Mukundan, O.V.Vijayan, Sethu, Madhavikutty,etc.). Why it happened.? The new environment, society, language, customs, rituals all nourished their talents and skills. Not all new writers can have this opportunity; so they have to simulate it virtually by reading other language literature. Here comes the importance of Krishnan Nair. For a long time literature was confined only to people study BA/MA (English/Malayalam). Rest of the aspiring readers didnt have have any clue to choose/know literature or authors or books. Could you guess any magazine/periodicals helped to know non-english, non-indian books in 80's.?? Krishnan Nair lived the period then internet was not so popular like today. His column was sole source for identifying good books. Of course he bitterly criticized some native writers. But he was not against anything.

message 7: by Jayaram (last edited Mar 13, 2014 08:13PM) (new)

Jayaram | 23 comments Dear Mr Jose, I would very much like to contradict you. I am a person who have read almost all from M.Krishnan Nair. He has written beautifully about KHASAKKINTE ITHIHASAM, CHANGAMPUZHA KAVITHAKAL, WORKS OF BASHIR,GEETANJALI of TAGORE, PREMCHAND,AMRITA PREETAM etc.Please don't belittle a great man like Krishnan Nair who have brought thousands of Malayalis like me to the wonderful arena of World Literature.We are all specks of sand compared to these people who have dedicated their life to reading.

message 8: by Jayaram (new)

Jayaram | 23 comments Dear Simon,your observations are 100% genuine.M.Krishnan Nair is the most significant person who gave Malayali an excellent awareness and inspiration to read World Literature.

unread topics | mark unread