The Life of a Book Addict discussion

Favorite Books > Books You Bought This Week!

Comments (showing 301-350 of 2,496) (2496 new)    post a comment »

message 301: by Jo (new)

Jo Yesterday i traded some books to get
The Two Towers
Peeps
Interview With the Vampire

message 302: by Ana (new)

Ana (ana_mazgonz) | 70 comments OH! good ones Jo
I loved the two towers and have interview... on my tbr list

message 303: by Jo (new)

Jo Yeah the only problem is i havent been able to get my hands on Fellowship of the ring yet. Might have to buy that one even though i promised myself no more books till i have got my pile down a bit!

message 304: by Ana (new)

Ana (ana_mazgonz) | 70 comments oh none sense! I always say that as I am doing exactly the opposite

message 305: by Jo (new)

Jo Lol it just makes you feel better when you say it even though you know you will never do it

message 306: by Lianne (last edited Aug 14, 2009 02:32PM) (new)

Lianne (eclecticreading) Bought the following books this week:

- Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows's The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
- Diane Setterfield's The Thirteenth Tale

message 307: by Jill (new)

Jill (Jillybeans) | 4467 comments Li, there are threads here for both those books when you are ready. We read them as a club.

message 308: by Mary (Marbear), Founder (new)

Mary (Marbear) (mbeth45) | 11002 comments Mod
Jo wrote: "Yeah the only problem is i havent been able to get my hands on Fellowship of the ring yet. Might have to buy that one even though i promised myself no more books till i have got my pile down a bit! "

Hi Jo. Come on. You can buy just one more book. We give you permission. LOL!

Mary

message 309: by Mary (Marbear), Founder (new)

Li wrote: "Bought the following books this week:

- Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows's The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
- Diane Setterfield's The Thirteenth Tale"

Hi Liz. Both of the books you just bought are great. We discussed them as a book club.

Mary

message 310: by Kristin (last edited Aug 15, 2009 07:08PM) (new)

Kristin (kgansor) | 47 comments My haul at the local Book Sale tonight $3 for just one bag! I saw a few others i wanted to get but i am gonna go back tomorrow and see if i wanna get anymore. These ones were the ones I defiantly could not pass up.

[image error]
[image error]
[image error]

Michelle (In Libris Veritas) (Shadowrose) Oh my that's a very nice batch of books. Lucky. I wish I could find a place like that.

message 312: by Jeff (new)

Jeff | 1 comments My name is Jeff and I'm an addict. This week I bought Snap and All Rivers Flow To The Sea by Alison McGhee. Also The Well and the Mine by Gin Phillips, and The Sister by Poppy Adams. I'm reading Homecoming by Cynthia Voigt. (yay!) p.s. on a personal note, Shadow Baby by Alison McGhee is AWESOME POSSUM!

message 313: by Rita (new)

Rita Nice haul Kristin!!!

I just bought The Girl Who Played With Fire"

message 314: by Jill (new)

Jill (Jillybeans) | 4467 comments Kristin, let us know about Shakespeare's Christmas. We are looking for Christmas theme books to read in December...

message 315: by Mary (Marbear), Founder (new)

Jeff wrote: "My name is Jeff and I'm an addict. This week I bought Snap and All Rivers Flow To The Sea by Alison McGhee. Also The Well and the Mine by Gin Phillips, and The Sister by Poppy Adams. I'm reading Ho..."

Welcome Jeff to "The Book Addicts." I'm Mary. It sounds like you are in the right place. What a great haul. Hope you'll join us.

Mary

message 316: by Mary (Marbear), Founder (new)

Wow Kristen. You hit the mother lode. Great job. We are so proud of you.

Mary

message 317: by Jo (new)

Jo Mary wrote: "Jo wrote: "Yeah the only problem is i havent been able to get my hands on Fellowship of the ring yet. Might have to buy that one even though i promised myself no more books till i have got my pile ..."

LOL thanks Mary! Its gonna have to wait till payday though :)

message 318: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 16 comments I just bought Deception Point after a few people on good reads recommended it after I was disappointed with DaVinci Code and Angels and Deamons...

message 319: by Rose F. (new)

Rose F. Hello everyone,

My name is Rose and I'm a bookaholic. I loved reading your comments and hope to receive a lot of referrels from it. Kristen, I saw you received the Alienist in your pile - I love that book. Nearby, we have three Goodwill bookstores where I buy pretty much every book for $2-$5. My purchases this week include, The Pale Blue Eye by Louis Bayard, Nefertiti by Nick Drake. I noticed a reference to David Liss' Whiskey Rebels. I've now purchased 3 of his books and haven't read one yet. My bookshelves take up an entire wall of the living room and though my husband complains about the purchases, all I have to do is point to his jetski in the garage and I'm allowed to buy all the books I want!

Rose

message 320: by Melinda (new)

Melinda Hi Rose,

The Pale Blue Eye by Louis Bayard is a great book! If you like historical mystery Bayard is a terrific author. He wrote an earlier book called "Mr. Timothy" which I liked as well. I'm waiting for October when "The Black Tower" will be released in paperback. Happy reading!

message 321: by Rose F. (new)

Rose F. Hi Melinda,

I have Mr. Timothy as well, but haven't read it. I always read one book for the book club at work and will always try to finish one of my own books in the same month. Given the fact that I purchase at least 10 books a month, my TBR pile far exceeds my "already read" pile. I've had the Black Tower on my wishlist for a while. Have you ever read anything by Michael Gruber, Anya Seton or Mary Renault?

message 322: by Melinda (new)

Melinda Rose.flanagankmob.com wrote: "Have you ever read anything by Michael Gruber, Anya Seton or Mary Renault?"

Not yet. Thanks for bringing them to my attention. Looks like my TBRs will continue to grow ...

message 323: by Rose F. (new)

Rose F. Anya Seton and Mary Renault are more Historical Fiction but Anya Seton's book, Katherine was AMAZING! It reminded me a lot of Pillars of the Earth.

message 324: by Mary (Marbear), Founder (new)

Rose.flanagankmob.com wrote: "Hello everyone,

My name is Rose and I'm a bookaholic. I loved reading your comments and hope to receive a lot of referrels from it. Kristen, I saw you received the Alienist in your pile - I lo..."

Welcome Rose to the book addicts. I'm Mary. We have a great group here. I love that when your hubby complains about your books you point to the jetski. So funny. You go girl. We'll be happy to encourage you to buy new books and if we need to talk to your hubby we can do that too although it sounds like you have that problem taken care of. Plz let me know if you have any questions.

Mary

message 325: by Lianne (new)

Lianne (eclecticreading) I bought the following books today:

- The Time Traveler's Wife
- The Independence of Miss Mary Bennet

Am looking forward to reading both! =D

Christy (TheReaderBee) (thereaderbee) | 405 comments Li wrote: "I bought the following books today:

- The Time Traveler's Wife
- The Independence of Miss Mary Bennet

Am looking forward to reading both! =D"

Ohh, Li... Will you let me know what you think about The Independence of Miss Mary Bennet? I so want to read it!

message 327: by Lianne (new)

Lianne (eclecticreading) Christy wrote: "Ohh, Li... Will you let me know what you think about The Independence of Miss Mary Bennet? I so want to read it!"

Sure! It might be a while until I get around to it (I think I'll be taking it with me when I move into residence in a couple of weeks) but I'll be sure to let you know once I get around to it =)

message 328: by Jo (new)

Jo I am very poor this week but i felt the need to treat myself to The Fellowship of the Ring . It had to be done!

message 329: by Mary (Marbear), Founder (new)

Great job Jo. I just knew you had to buy that book. It's just one little book. I'm so bad. LOL!

Mary

message 330: by Jo (new)

Jo Lol i blame it on you Mary! Luckily i found it for £2.76 which is a pretty good price :) You are forgiven for being a bad influence Mary lol

message 331: by Mary (Marbear), Founder (new)

Hi Jo. Thank you for forgiving me but you know next time you want to buy a book I'll encourage you to buy it. That's what I'm here for. LOL!

Mary

message 332: by Jo (new)

Jo I dont normally need encouraging but i will keep that in mind :)

message 333: by Britta (new)

Britta (Quintessensical) Today I went to the bookshop! ^____^

Got the 2nd Darren Shan Manga,
13 Reasons Why - Jay Asher (Wanted to read this for a while now)
And Wuthering Heights

message 334: by Mary (Marbear), Founder (new)

Hi Britta. Welcome to "The Book Addicts." I'm Mary. "Wuthreing Heights," is on my to-be-read list along with about 600 other books. Glad to have you join us.

Mary

message 335: by Britta (new)

Britta (Quintessensical) Thank you ^___^
I've been planning to read all these 'classics' for aages now. Still haven't read even one.. :/
I recently made a list of books that I still haven't read, or I want to re-read, and I definitely got over 50..plus the books I've bought after that..So much work to do..

message 336: by Rose F. (new)

Rose F. Thank you Mary, I'm already enjoying myself! I've seen so many books on this list that I own (and haven't read) and many books I've read and loved. I finally organized my books, meaning I wrote down what I have. I was tired of getting ready to buy a book, only to have my kids say "Mom, you already own it." I haven't yet written down the books I've bought for my kids so I think I've purchased Inkheart three times already. Michelle, I recently read Pride and Prejudice (and watched all the movies.) Love it, love it.
Robin - a co-worker has been trying to get me to read Hunger Games. He and another (male) co-worker were the first to recommended the Twilight series to me, which I loved, but he also recommended The Road and Edgar Sawtelle, ugh. Good books but not exactly to my liking.

message 337: by Melinda (new)

Melinda Rose.flanagankmob.com wrote: "Anya Seton and Mary Renault are more Historical Fiction but Anya Seton's book, Katherine was AMAZING! It reminded me a lot of Pillars of the Earth."

I looked through my pile of TBRs and discovered I had "Book of Air & Shadows" by Michael Gruber. Guess I'll have to move it up the queue. Have you read it?

message 338: by Kellie (new)

Kellie (kellieag) I bought Running with Scissors this morning.

message 339: by Rose F. (new)

Rose F. Hi Melinda, no I haven't actually read The Book of Air and Shadows but I'll be reading it for the month of September, if it gets picked. The alternative is Girl With a Dragon Tatoo.

message 340: by Ana (new)

Ana (ana_mazgonz) | 70 comments Gotta' love your mailman :D 8/19/9

message 341: by Gamze (last edited Aug 19, 2009 12:38PM) (new)

Gamze | 5 comments Today I treated myself to:
- the first 6 books from the Sookie Stackhouse series
- Wetlands by Charlotte Roche
- The story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski
- The Library of Shadows by Mikkel Birkegaard

I love the 3 for 2 sale at Waterstones!
Pfff... my to-read list has now 90 books in it, of which I own all 90! I really should must stop buying books or purchase a larger book cabinet!

message 342: by Ana (new)

Ana (ana_mazgonz) | 70 comments def! buy a bigger book shelf Gamze

message 343: by Rose F. (new)

Rose F. Li wrote: "Bought the following books this week:

Hi Li, please let me know what you think of each the books. Amazon keeps recommending Guernsey for me and I have The Thirteenth Tale but only got half way through.

message 344: by Gamze (new)

Gamze | 5 comments Hey Rose,

I've read both and can definitely recommend them to you. Both books are easy to read and have good story lines.

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society was very original. The whole book only consists of letters. The story literally develops through those letters you read. They are mainly to and from a woman named Juliet and a group of people living on the Channel island Guernsey. The letters are actually written after the second world war but they are constantly referring to the war so it’s still a WW2 book in my eyes. If you aren't into that kind of stuff... well just a heads up!

The Thirteenth Tale was a great story (emphasis on story), and told in a beautiful way. I love books that are able to surprise/shock you, and this book really surprised me in the end!

I'd say go for it, and let me know what you thought!?

message 345: by Rose F. (new)

Rose F. Wow Gamze, you just made me push The Thirteenth Tale right back onto my TBR pile (instead of my "I Give Up" pile next to Game of Kings and The Instance of the Fingerpost.) Please feel free to recommend any other titles you enjoyed.

Christy (TheReaderBee) (thereaderbee) | 405 comments Li wrote:

"Sure! It might be a while until I get around to it (I think I'll b..."

Great, thank you! I hope it's good!

Christy (TheReaderBee) (thereaderbee) | 405 comments Gamze wrote: "Today I treated myself to:
"

I LOVE the Sookie Stackhouse books!

message 348: by Shelli (new)

Shelli Rose.flanagankmob.com wrote: "Li wrote: "Bought the following books this week:

- Diane Setterfield's [book:The Thirteen..."

Rose..I've read both and liked them!

message 349: by Shelli (new)

Shelli Gamze wrote: "Today I treated myself to:
- Wetlands by Charlotte Roche
- The story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski
- The Library of Shadows by M..."

Gamze...I've read the first 8 Sookie books...really fun!

message 350: by Shelli (new)

Shelli Li wrote: "Bought the following books this week:

Li...read and liked both very much!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Little Giant of Aberdeen County (other topics)
Lady Susan, The Watsons, Sanditon (other topics)
The Book of God and Physics: A Novel of the Voynich Mystery (other topics)
Women Travelers: A Century of Trailblazing Adventures, 1850-1950 (other topics)
Frauen Erobern Die Welt (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Laura Caldwell (other topics)
David Starkey (other topics)
Iain Pears (other topics)
Mohsin Hamid (other topics)
Tom Holland (other topics)
More...