The Book Addicts! discussion

Favorite Books > Books You Bought This Week!

Comments (showing 2,401-2,450 of 2,464) (2464 new)    post a comment »

Marialyce | 1240 comments 1Q84 (books I and II) by Haruki Murakami and In the Shadow of Young Girls in Flower by Marcel Proust and A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens and The Gift of the Magi by O. Henry beautifully illustrated for my granddaughter, and some Christmas books for my young grandsons were my Barnes and Noble purchases today.

Sabreen (pnkbrry77) | 13 comments The History of Love by Nicole Krauss and Going after Cacciato, for only a dollar each!

message 2403: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Markus (nickijmarkus) | 47 comments During the last week, I got some great bargains - six books for $53. My purchases were:

Wither
Torment (Fallen)
Passion (Fallen)
Crescendo (Hush Hush)
Wicked Lovely
Discovery of Witches

Valerie | 131 comments I just went "shopping" at B&N online for their holiday sale & got:

Heart of the Matter by Emily Giffin The Gift  A Novel by Cecelia Ahern The Other Queen by Philippa Gregory Shameless (Banning Sisters Trilogy #3) by Karen Robards Haunt Me Still by Jennifer Lee Carrell In a Good Place  A Novel by Rachel Johnson

All hardcover's except for 1 & only spent $19!! Yahhh buddy!!!

Alondra | 4292 comments Goodwill: Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden; A Wrinkle in Time (Time, #1) by Madeleine L'Engle; Life of Pi by Yann Martel; Journey to the Center of the Earth by Nicholas Harris; A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty  Smith; The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards; and Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. I also bought 4 westerns for my Dad; and 6 books for my daughter. Phew!! all for $17!!!!

message 2406: by Lina (new)

Lina | 5 comments This week I bought "Classical Rhetoric and Its Christian and Secular Tradition from Ancient to Modern Times" by George A. Kennedy. Course literature obviously, but still I'm oddly excites!

message 2407: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Coe | 3 comments At half price books i bought perfect-judith mcnaught, a plateful of murder-claudia bishop,the heart of a witch-judith hawkes, love that store and last night i bought the departed- shiloh walker, a killer plot- ellery adams..can't wait to start them...

message 2408: by Rod (new)

Rod  C. Cohen | 11 comments MarBear wrote: "Hi. I went to the used bookstore today. I got "Revolutionary Road," for $8. I've lost my mind because I thought I'd gotten "The World Without End." I got home and it's "Pillars of the Earth," which..."

It could've been worse, Mary. With my glasses, it could've been me. Just laugh it off. Or give one copy to your optometrist.

message 2409: by Rod (new)

Rod  C. Cohen | 11 comments I bought 22 Brittanica Road, and so far it is very good. Downloaded onto my Kindle.

Sharron | 5 comments Read 22 BRITANNIA RD and thought it was a great read! Heartbreaking and memorable.

message 2412: by Judi/Judith (last edited Feb 25, 2012 04:28PM) (new)

Judi/Judith Riddle (judipatooti) | 1309 comments I went to a library sale and bought Island of the Swans and The Rebels of Ireland.

message 2413: by Beth (new)

Beth (mommyto3bees) | 80 comments i bought While Others Sleep by Helen R. Myers

message 2414: by June (new)

June (Summr10) | 4 comments I bought The Weird Sister's

message 2415: by Carol (last edited Mar 04, 2012 07:52AM) (new)

Carol | 144 comments Picked up The Descendants, Secrets of Eden, Road Dogs. And Kiss of the Devil's Breath, Season of Faith, and about a dozen other Nook books.

Judi/Judith Riddle (judipatooti) | 1309 comments I bought The Rebels of Ireland (The Dublin Saga, #2) by Edward Rutherfurd, Island of the Swans by Ciji Ware from a library book sale and Lost & Found by Jacqueline Sheehan from paperback swap.

Angela (Bookangel2) | 370 comments Bill wrote: "I hit the book stores this week and got a few books;
The Virgin And The Gypsy;
The French Lieutenant's Woman;
Summer of '42;
[book:Lady Chatterley's..."

A good haul, Bill!

message 2419: by Shay (new)

Shay | 491 comments Judi/Judith wrote: "I bought The Rebels of Ireland (The Dublin Saga, #2) by Edward Rutherfurd, Island of the Swans by Ciji Ware from a library book sale and Lost & Found by Jacqueline Sheehan from paperback swap."

Judith, have you ever read the Irish Country Doctor series? An Irish Country Doctor by Patrick Taylor- they're mostly set in 1950's Ireland in a fictitious village. Cute, feel good kind of stories.

Sanjana (Gigglepantz) | 2 comments I bought The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and Crime and Punishment.

message 2421: by Bill (new)

Bill | 3824 comments Angela wrote: "Bill wrote: "I hit the book stores this week and got a few books;
The Virgin And The Gypsy;
The French Lieutenant's Woman;
Summer of '42;
[book:Lady Cha..."

I thought so too. :0) Thanks, Angela.

Cynthia Archer | 77 comments At the local bookstore I got several by an originally local author, Phoenix to L.A. and Raindrop Races; also The Art of Hearing Heartbeats, What We Talk About When We Talk About Anne Frank, and The Fox Effect. At the library I picked up and read The Good American and Watergate. I ordered and received Sold Everywhere but Borders(loved it) and House of Stone.

Elizabeth (DuchessofMalfi) | 25 comments Sharron wrote: "Read 22 BRITANNIA RD and thought it was a great read! Heartbreaking and memorable."

I was just about to post saying I bought this at the weekend. Looking forward to reading it.

message 2424: by Rod (last edited Mar 12, 2012 04:17AM) (new)

Rod  C. Cohen | 11 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Sharron wrote: "Read 22 BRITANNIA RD and thought it was a great read! Heartbreaking and memorable."

I was just about to post saying I bought this at the weekend. Looking forward to reading it."

Am also reading it, am enjoying it even though it is very English and I am not a subject of the Queen. May she live for a thousand years. However, I once was a subject.

Maggie (MaggieKY) | 23 comments I know I shouldn't do it but I just can't help myself - I've bought more books in the weekend:-
The Gray Man;
The Last Concubine;
Middlemarch

message 2426: by Judi/Judith (last edited Mar 12, 2012 07:31AM) (new)

Judi/Judith Riddle (judipatooti) | 1309 comments Family Affairs by Catherine Gaskin Sara Dane by Catherine Gaskin from bookmooch and
The Ambassador's Women by Catherine Gaskin Tully by Paullina Simons from paperback swap.

message 2427: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomJanBookFan) | 812 comments Bill, I loved the Summer of '42. I read it at least a couple of decades ago and I still remember how much I enjoyed reading it.

New for me this week...I picked up a copy of Three Bags Full by Leonie Swann for a group discussion. It is a light and whimsical story about a flock of sheep in Ireland trying to solve the murder mystery of their shepherd. It is no longer in print, but I was able to pick up a copy online for $1. + shipping. It's a fun book.

Sammantha (MissBooksAholic) | 39 comments The books I bought this week are as of the following:

Full Dark, No Stars -Stephen King
Bag of Bones -Stephen King
We Were The Mulvaneys -Joyce Carol Oates
(Seen the movie but the movie never does the book justice!)
A Breath of Fresh Air -Erica James

That is my list of books I purchased this week and with great deals! :-)

~Sammy

Karen M | 535 comments Sammy wrote: "The books I bought this week are as of the following:

Full Dark, No Stars -Stephen King
Bag of Bones -Stephen King
We Were The Mulvaneys -Joyce Carol Oates
(Seen the movie but the movie never..."

Ohhhh, I recently purchased a used copy of We Were the Mulvaneys. I like Joyce Carol Oates writing. Enjoy!

message 2431: by Bill (new)

Bill | 3824 comments Janet wrote: "Bill, I loved the Summer of '42. I read it at least a couple of decades ago and I still remember how much I enjoyed reading it.

New for me this week...I picked up a copy of Three Bags Full by Leon..."

I'm really enjoying Summer of '42, Janet. Many laugh out loud moments and I'm finding that now that I'm reading it, how faithful to it the movie was. Your Three Bags Full of Leon sounds very interesting. I picked up a couple of new books this past week; High Country by Nevada Barr, a favourite series of mine and one new series, Gallows View by Peter Robinson. Next weekend is our semi-annual charity book sale. I'm looking forward to finding some gems... :0)

Sammantha (MissBooksAholic) | 39 comments Karen M wrote: "Ohhhh, I recently purchased a used copy of We Were the Mulvaneys. I like Joyce Carol Oates writing. Enjoy!
"

Thanks Karen!! :-)
I also love Joyce Carol Oates writing as well, her books are just so amazing! Have a good day!

Sammantha (MissBooksAholic) | 39 comments Today I just purchased both these books at a discount store for under $5! I was very excited to spot them!
:-)

Under the Dome(paperback) -Stephen King
The Weight of Silence - Heather Gudenkauf

Cynthia Archer | 77 comments I really enjoyed The Weight of Silence. Hope you do too!

Melanie | 60 comments I also just bought Grange House and The Postmistress (both by Sarah Blake) for a dollar total at my local library!

message 2436: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomJanBookFan) | 812 comments I picked up "Saving Cee Cee Honeycutt" at K Mart for $5.00. This was a good find, because it was on
my 2012 Group Challenge list. I have since noticed piles of this book bargain-priced at Barnes & Noble @ $5.95.

Angela (Bookangel2) | 370 comments This week, I've bought The Sealed Letter by Emma Donoghue, The Big Over Easy (Nursery Crime, #1) by Jasper Fforde, Or She Dies by Gregg Hurwitz and Diary of a Man in Despair by Friedrich Reck-Malleczewen. Altogether, they cost £2.50 - a real bargain!

message 2438: by Sandi (new)

Sandi Pantalon (sandstar4) | 3 comments Amazon.com makes it sooo easy to feed my book addiction with their Bargain Books!

I just ordered Borrowed Finery: A Memoir by Paula Fox for $4.07! I also ordered We the Animals by Justin Torres, The Reconstructionist by Nick Arvin and Split by Swati Avasthi.

Borrowed Finery  A Memoir by Paula Fox We the Animals by Justin Torres The Reconstructionist by Nick Arvin Split by Swati Avasthi

message 2439: by Bill (new)

Bill | 3824 comments I went to the local Book Fair this weekend; they had a weekend sale to raise money for charity. Mostly paid $.50 per book and found about 30 books.. I've listed them in my blog.. :0) http://bill-booksbooksbooks.blogspot....

message 2440: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (NoisyReading) | 167 comments I found a 1983 hardcover copy of Pet Sematary by Stephen King at a thrift store this week. I was so excited to find it. It is in excellent condition and this is one of the few King books I did not have a copy of. I also picked up a 1982 paperback of Cujo by Stephen King also in terrific condition. A good week at the thrift store!

message 2441: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (EllieArcher) | 1672 comments The Recognitions by William Gaddis-what makes this bad is I already own it in paperback but wanted a back-up copy for my Kindle.

The Speed Reading Book by Tony Buzan- because I clearly need to read more. :/

The Day is Dark by Yrsa Sigurðardóttir

message 2442: by Bill (new)

Bill | 3824 comments Tracy wrote: "I found a 1983 hardcover copy of Pet Sematary by Stephen King at a thrift store this week. I was so excited to find it. It is in excellent condition and this is one of the few King books I did n..."

Both are excellent stories.

Angela (Bookangel2) | 370 comments Bill wrote: "I went to the local Book Fair this weekend; they had a weekend sale to raise money for charity. Mostly paid $.50 per book and found about 30 books.. I've listed them in my blog.. :0) http://bill-b..."

Hi Bill. I had a look at your latest haul of books - what bargains!! I've read 5 of them - Chocky, A Morbid Taste for Bones, The Summer of the Danes and The Rose Rent were all read ages ago. I remember that I enjoyed the Ellis Peters books a lot. The most recent one that I've read is The Distant Echo. I like Val McDermid's novels on the whole. Have you read any yet?

message 2444: by Bill (new)

Bill | 3824 comments Angela wrote: "Bill wrote: "I went to the local Book Fair this weekend; they had a weekend sale to raise money for charity. Mostly paid $.50 per book and found about 30 books.. I've listed them in my blog.. :0) ..."

Angela - I've read a few of Ellis Peter's books and enjoy the series. I've read most of the Wire in the Blood books and have enjoyed them very much; enjoyed the tv series as well. I've only read one that wasn't part of that series; A Place of Execution, and it was ok only. I'm looking forward to trying A Distant Echo.

Angela (Bookangel2) | 370 comments Bill wrote: "Angela wrote: "Bill wrote: "I went to the local Book Fair this weekend; they had a weekend sale to raise money for charity. Mostly paid $.50 per book and found about 30 books.. I've listed them in ..."

I prefer the Wire in the Blood series as well - still have a few to read too:)

message 2446: by Dani (new)

Dani | 26 comments Sandi wrote: "Amazon.com makes it sooo easy to feed my book addiction with their Bargain Books!

I just ordered Borrowed Finery: A Memoir by Paula Fox for $4.07! I also ordered [book..."

We the Animals was AWESOME!

message 2447: by Dani (new)

Dani | 26 comments I have a Kindle so my purchases are all downloads (too many readers in my family for paper books!):

buys this week:Wool, Wool 2: Proper Gauge, The Story of Beautiful Girl, and the Hunger Games trilogy.

I ATE through the Wool books - they are shorts . . . anyone intersted in post-apocolyptic lit should consider the .99 and puchase these or just spring for the entire pentagraphy - Wool Omnibus Edition. I can't believe they would be disappointed.

So far, the Story of Beautiful Girl is a wonderful, engaging story, I just want to crawl inside the book and bring these characters home with me and care for them.

I've already read THG, but I borrowed them so I needed copies to call my very own!

message 2448: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (EllieArcher) | 1672 comments Bill wrote: "Angela wrote: "Bill wrote: "I went to the local Book Fair this weekend; they had a weekend sale to raise money for charity. Mostly paid $.50 per book and found about 30 books.. I've listed them in ..."

I'm very fond of the Ellis Peters' series myself.

message 2449: by Bill (new)

Bill | 3824 comments Ellie wrote: "Bill wrote: "Angela wrote: "Bill wrote: "I went to the local Book Fair this weekend; they had a weekend sale to raise money for charity. Mostly paid $.50 per book and found about 30 books.. I've li..."

It's a great series, Ellie

message 2450: by Angela (last edited Mar 29, 2012 08:22AM) (new)

Angela (Bookangel2) | 370 comments Today, I bought:
Solar by Ian McEwan by Ian McEwan,
Mistress of the Art of Death (Mistress of the Art of Death, #1) by Ariana Franklin by Ariana Franklin and Climbing the Bookshelves  The Autobiography of Shirley Williams by Shirley Williams by Shirley Williams.