The Life of a Book Addict discussion

Favorite Books > Books You Bought This Week!

Comments (showing 2,051-2,100 of 2,471) (2471 new)    post a comment »

message 2051: by Bernadette (new)

Bernadette (Bern51) | 362 comments Nance wrote: "My husband bought me Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand and Charles Dickens...which is five popular books writ..."

Nance, I just finished David Copperfield and it's in my Top 10 books now (which is quickly going to a Top 20 list thanks to GR). Is that in your Dickens' set of books? I've got a few CD novels on my 2011 list if you want to do a buddy read thing, I know I have Hard Times and Oliver Twist.

message 2052: by Jan (new)

Jan (momatrain) | 12 comments Yorky, for me that goal would be as self-defeating as making the standard resolution to lose weight. Neither one would last for more than a week! Good luck!

message 2053: by Yorky (new)

Yorky Caz (YorkyCaz) | 2211 comments lol im in trouble then Jan I made both resolutions!!!

message 2054: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (KristiCasey) | 660 comments I so stopped keeping track of December purchases lol. I can say January so far I've been good. Of course it's only the 3rd. Ha ha.

I have gotten books on my Kindle that I got for Christmas. But I'm pretty sure all of those were downloaded in December. And besides they've all been free so I don't think they count as purchases.

message 2055: by Jan (new)

Jan (momatrain) | 12 comments yeah, right

message 2056: by Nance (last edited Jan 03, 2011 12:30PM) (new)

Nance (Nabpurple12) | 377 comments Bernadette wrote: "Nance wrote: "My husband bought me Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand and Charles Dickens...which is five popu..."

Yes, Bernadette, David Copperfield was listed in this book...along with Great Expectations (which I read in 10th grade...many moons ago, lol!), A Christmas Carol, Oliver Twist, and A Tale of Two Cities. I really wanted the book for A Tale of Two Cities, since I saw that Oprah was reading it and heard that it was really good. When I finish reading The Count of Monte Cristo, I'll contact you about doing a buddy read with one of the books by Charles Dickens. Like I said, I'd really like to read A Tale of Two Cities first, though.

message 2057: by Bill (new)

Bill | 4413 comments Ok, these are the last books for awhile, I promise.. lol...

At the used book store, The Return of Sherlock Holmes

At the Laughing Oyster, a book I didn't even know existed.. Plan for Chaos by John Wyndham and World Without End by Ken Follett..

message 2058: by Mary (new)

Mary (madamefifi) | 183 comments Got Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter: A Novel today! The UPS guy left it on the trunk of my car which must mean our black Lab, Sidney, was out in the front yard--he's afraid of her!

message 2059: by Diane D. (new)

Diane D. Bill, you HAD to get World Without Endif you're a Follett fan!

message 2060: by Jan (new)

Jan (momatrain) | 12 comments I blew it too. I found a website where I was able to get 11 John Connolly ebooks for my Kindle for $7.50.
Books & a bargain...it would be almost sinful not to do it!

message 2061: by Bernadette (new)

Bernadette (Bern51) | 362 comments Jan wrote: "I blew it too. I found a website where I was able to get 11 John Connolly ebooks for my Kindle for $7.50.
Books & a bargain...it would be almost sinful not to do it!"

I was all set to stay away from the bookstore/book websites yesterday, then up popped a 50% off coupon from Border's, and another email that I had some Border's buck! Well, what could I do...went there and bought a beautiful hardcover of Anna K, my old paperback was falling apart (got it yrs ago at used book sale) with writing all through it. Well it was 50% off, right?

message 2062: by Bill (new)

Bill | 4413 comments Diane D. wrote: "Bill, you HAD to get World Without Endif you're a Follett fan!"

Exactly, Jan! What you said.. Now I've noticed he has a new series out........ a trilogy... maybe that'll be one of my next purchases..

message 2063: by Judi/Judith (last edited Jan 04, 2011 07:14AM) (new)

Judi/Judith Riddle (judipatooti) | 1362 comments Bill wrote: "Diane D. wrote: "Bill, you HAD to get World Without Endif you're a Follett fan!"

Exactly, Jan! What you said.. Now I've noticed he has a new series out........ a trilogy... maybe tha..."

Bill, you will love Fall of Giants Fall of Giants by Ken Follett, the first of his new trilogy. It is an historical fiction novel with a very interesting story about four families from different countries and how they interact with WWI. It's educational and exciting with some romance thrown in to make it "spicy". I read the that the 2nd one in the trilogy is coming out in 2012 and the third in 2014. I can hardly wait!

message 2064: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (KristiCasey) | 660 comments Sigh! I said it wouldn't last. I had to drive through the section of town, for work today, that has the used book store. So of course I had to stop in!

I bought Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse #2-7, it was a boxset for $24. Not the best deal ever, but I got each book for $4.
And I bought Surfacing by Margaret Atwood for $2.

message 2065: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 131 comments I was wandering around in B&N today to pick up something for my daughter's bday, and found a couple of things to add to my "library"! LOL I bought The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe and Italian for Beginners by Kristin Harmel. I've had the "Physick book" on my TBR list and in my wish list, also borrowed it from the library, just haven't had a chance to read it yet. The "Italian" book just looked like a sweet/fun read.

message 2066: by Liz (new)

Liz Bill, you said that you watched The Pillars of the Earth mini-series. I've been wanting to see it, but was nervous about how much violence & sex was in it. What's your take on it?

message 2067: by Diane D. (new)

Diane D. Valerie wrote: "I was wandering around in B&N today to pick up something for my daughter's bday, and found a couple of things to add to my "library"! LOL I bought [book:The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane|4836308..."

Valerie, I bought the Physick book too, and plan to read it some time this year. Maybe we can do it together.

message 2068: by Asia (new)

Asia | 14 comments I brought Tieta de Agreste, Pastora de Cabras and One Hundred Years of Solitude.

Can't wait to read them. :)

message 2069: by Bill (new)

Bill | 4413 comments Liz wrote: "Bill, you said that you watched The Pillars of the Earth mini-series. I've been wanting to see it, but was nervous about how much violence & sex was in it. What's your take on it?"

Liz, I didn't find it overly violent; there were battle sequences of course, but they weren't too graphic. There was some sex, but nothing too drastic, either. I can't compare it to shows like Rome as I didn't see that, but as a one of for me, I didn't find it too disturbing. I hope you take a chance on it.

message 2070: by Liz (new)

Liz Good to know Bill - thanks! I'll have to check it out from Netflix.

message 2071: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (EllieArcher) | 1812 comments oooh Kristi-Im so jealous- I loved Surfacing-I do hope you do too.
Maybe the problem is that work really cuts into my reading time!
lol ellie

message 2072: by Rose F. (new)

Rose F. | 177 comments I headed to Barnes & Noble yesterday with a $25 giftcard and my wishlist. I found several books from my wishlist but couldn't bring myself to use my giftcard on any of them. I guess I didn't want any selection enough to spend full price. Instead, I paid $5 for Conneticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court for my book club read, returned home and proceeded to buy the more obscure selections from my wishlist from Amazon. The books I bought were:
• The Queen's Man: A Medieval Mystery by Sharon Kay Penman
• The Devil Soldier: The American Soldier of Fortune Who Became a God in China by Caleb Carr
• Four Queens: The Provencal Sisters Who Ruled Europe by Nancy Goldstone
• The Italian Boy: A Tale of Murder and Body Snatching in 1830s London by Sarah Wise
• A Treasury of Royal Scandals: The Shocking True Stories History's Wickedest, Weirdest, Most Wanton Kings, Queens, Tsars, Popes, and Emperors by Michael Farquhar
• My Lady Scandalous: The Amazing Life and Outrageous Times of Grace Dalrymple Elliott, Royal Courtesan by Jo Manning

I can always try to find the more popular fiction books on my list at the local Goodwill bookstore.

message 2073: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (KristiCasey) | 660 comments Ellie wrote: "oooh Kristi-Im so jealous- I loved Surfacing-I do hope you do too.
Maybe the problem is that work really cuts into my reading time!
lol ellie"

I know, right?. The first 2 weeks of each month, I work a fuller load, so I can't read as much. But I more than make up for it the last 2 weeks.

message 2074: by Kristin (new)

Kristin Gansor (kgansor) | 47 comments I have made quite a few trips to my local Goodwills recently (since christmas stuff is 50% off, and of course I couldn't help but pass the book section! )
This is what i've picked up over the last week:

Stack of paper backs.. $.99 each. Two of these.. Monsters of Templeton and Stiff I have been wanting for awhile, I was so thrilled to find them!

A wonderful $1.99 copy of Gone with the Wind!

I have no kids, but this book is velvet! It's Hallmark and listed for $15. Plus I actually know all of the stories inside! I will have a kid eventually so it will get used, but I couldn't put it down and pass it up!

message 2075: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (EllieArcher) | 1812 comments I have been playing with the idea of reading The Monsters of Templeton for a while, primarily because (hold on-this is deep) I really, really like the cover. I also like the word Templeton. If you remember, whenever you get around to reading it, I hope you post your response. I wouldn't mind having more of a reason to buy it.

message 2076: by Debbie The Book Vixen (last edited Jan 06, 2011 08:11PM) (new)

Debbie The Book Vixen (goodreadscomdebbiethebookvixen) Last Sacrifice

message 2077: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 131 comments Diane D. wrote: "Valerie, I bought the Physick book too, and plan to read it some time this year. Maybe we can do it together..."

Diane, thanks!! That would be nice. :) It's a bit down on my list though - I have quite a few books checked out from my local library that I'm working on getting through first.... SO many books, not enough time!!! LOL

message 2078: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 31 comments Kristin wrote: "I have made quite a few trips to my local Goodwills recently (since christmas stuff is 50% off, and of course I couldn't help but pass the book section! )
This is what i've picked up over the last ..."

Kristin - I'm planning on reading "Stiff" this year too. And I LOVE Gone with the Wind - I read it about 4 times when I was 11. Great finds!

message 2079: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (marcher08) | 1001 comments Kristin wrote: "I have made quite a few trips to my local Goodwills recently (since christmas stuff is 50% off, and of course I couldn't help but pass the book section! )

I am interested to hear from all you Goodwill book shoppers. I never thought about going there for books. You obviously had some great finds. Are the books usually in good condition?

message 2080: by Rose F. (new)

Rose F. | 177 comments There are two Goodwill stores near me. One has a "book loft" which is upstairs and is a stand-alone bookstore. It's clean, organized and every book is in good condition or better. The other Goodwill is only a bookstore and does not sell anything else, unless it's book-related such as bookends, etc. Again, the books are in excellent condition. The books generally cost about $5, which is still cheaper than anywhere else and compares with shopping on-line.

message 2081: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (marcher08) | 1001 comments Rose F. wrote: "There are two Goodwill stores near me. One has a "book loft" which is upstairs and is a stand-alone bookstore. It's clean, organized and every book is in good condition or better. The other Good..."

How lucky you are! I live in a small town. There is one Goodwill store but I don't think it is that organized.

message 2082: by Maureen (new)

Maureen (ReadingNut) Just came back from Costco with
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
The Girl Who Played with Fire

I was really only supposed to be buying groceries, but at the price Costco had them for, I couldn't resist!!

message 2083: by Karen (new)

Karen | 258 comments Maureen, my hubby always steers me away from the book section in Costco, I've seen me come out of there with a dozen books. I usually grab all the ones I haven't read yet that they have.

I tend to browse my reader store at least once a week and I'm glad I did yesterday. I picked up 5 books, all on sale...

Danger in the Shadows
Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption
Relentless
Medicus: A Novel of the Roman Empire
A Husband for Margaret

I'll have to finish the book I'm reading tonight so I can start on another on my huge TBR list, that obviously keeps growing and growing...lol

message 2084: by Maureen (new)

Maureen (ReadingNut) LOL Karen. I must admit, I love the prices at Costco. And sure, I could get the books from the library, but everyone and their dog is wanting to read it, so I might as well buy them instead of waiting a year on the wait list for the book.

And 5 books...I LOVE books on sale!

message 2085: by Kristin (new)

Kristin Gansor (kgansor) | 47 comments Michelle wrote: "Kristin wrote: "I have made quite a few trips to my local Goodwills recently (since christmas stuff is 50% off, and of course I couldn't help but pass the book section! )
This is what i've picked ..."

I have 3 Goodwills near by and 2 more that are within 30 minutes that I dont go to often but will occasionally. They all have a book section, paperbacks are 99 cents and hard covers are $1.99

I've never seen a book in bad condition there, they always have covers, they're always in good shape. Ever since I started buying from Goodwills and book sales I have stopped shopping at the big book stores and paying full price. I am too spoiled with paying less than $1 or $2 to go and pay that much money for one.

I think it is so worth it!

message 2086: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (EllieArcher) | 1812 comments Kristin wrote: "I have made quite a few trips to my local Goodwills recently (since christmas stuff is 50% off, and of course I couldn't help but pass the book section! )

Well, epic fail on my part. I couldn't wait: I ran out & got Monsters of Templeton. I'm beside myself with excitement: but I'm really hoping to slow down & use some of the sites and places I'm learning about. Oh well: I think I'll go read!

message 2087: by Kristin (new)

Kristin Gansor (kgansor) | 47 comments lol I just discovered that I already HAVE Monsters of Templeton, in hard cover. This is how many books I have, I dont even know what I have anymore!
I am going to return it though, it was only a dollar, but I don't need 2 books!

message 2088: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (EllieArcher) | 1812 comments So funny-it's like it's proliferating by itself. You're so right, tho', I have too many books without duplicates. (and I do have some of those)

message 2089: by Karen (new)

Karen | 258 comments In the last year I've ended up buying way to many books that I already have, all new, no used ones. I thought I might be able to do the 'swap' on this site and get rid of the duplicates in exchange for ones I don't have. Unfortunately it says the swap is for US residents only. :(

message 2090: by Rose F. (new)

Rose F. | 177 comments That happened to me so many times that I finally took the time to catalog all my books into a spreadsheet, first by title then by author. It took all day but it was worth it because now I have a copy of the spreadsheet on my Blackberry which I can reference when I'm out. It has saved me so much money.

message 2091: by Karen (new)

Karen | 258 comments I've thought a few times I should go through and put all my books into a database but man oh man it would take a long time. I have bookshelves full, then I have a closet full of full boxes of books, then I have a stack in my bedroom, and a stack in a wall unit, then all the misc. books floating all over the house. I should actually do it, like you said it would save me a lot of money.

message 2092: by Alexandrea (new)

Alexandrea | 22 comments I got a gift card to Amazon for christmas and of coarse have spent it all on books. Some new that I was interested in, and some books that I remember from a few years ago, that I had to own.

Fractured Fairy Tales by A. J. Jacobs
The Hunger Games by. Suzanne Collins
Skippy Must Die by Paul Murray
Twice Upon a Time
Return to the Hundred Acre Wood by. David Denedictus
The Corrections by. Jonathan Franzen

message 2093: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (EllieArcher) | 1812 comments Hi Alexandria-

I'm especially interested in Skippy must Die (although it feels kind of heartless to put it that way!). I've heard good things about it. It's long, though, right? Please post your reaction. I think I want to read it but what with Anna Karenina and my book challenge Infinite Jest (the jest is that it actually IS infinite!)-I'm a little hesitant. But still curious. So please post.
And I haven't heard of the David Denedictus: related to Winnie by chance?

message 2094: by Bill (new)

Bill | 4413 comments On Saturday, I used my used book credit to pick up four books.. :0)

- Jane Haddam, Feast of Murder (a Gregor Demarkian mystery)
- Nevada Barr, Deep South (an Anna Pigeon mystery)
- Winston Graham, Marnie, and
- Kathy Reichs, 206 Bones (a Temperance Brennan mystery)

message 2095: by Bernadette (new)

Bernadette (Bern51) | 362 comments Alexandrea wrote: "I got a gift card to Amazon for christmas and of coarse have spent it all on books. Some new that I was interested in, and some books that I remember from a few years ago, that I had to own.

Fract..."

Ellie wrote: "Hi Alexandria-

I own Skippy Dies if you want to let me know when you plan to read it, maybe we can read together

I'm especially interested in Skippy must Die (although it feels kind of heartless to put it that way!). I've heard good things about it. It's long, though, right? Please post your r..."

message 2096: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (foreveryearning) | 113 comments I bought George R. R. Martin's A Game of Thrones since the HBO series is coming out soon.

message 2097: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (KristiCasey) | 660 comments Sigh! I haven't gotten to Goodwill yet. But I HAD to do it. I just had to buy books yesterday.

They were calling for an ice storm here, I knew I'd be stuck in the house with 3 teens and I just had to have something I could throw at them if they got way too annoying with "I'm booooored."

And I just re-read that, and realized how bad it sounded. I didn't mean throw the books at them literally. HA HA HA!!!! I meant something to throw their way to entertain them.

Annnnywaaaays....
I bought "Shiver", "Linger" and "Witch and Wizard: The Gift".

message 2098: by Marialyce (new)

Marialyce | 1240 comments Well, Kristi, I personally would never throw books at my kids, other things yes, books no.

I did read Shiver and thought it was pretty good. Your kids might really like it too! :)

message 2099: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (EllieArcher) | 1812 comments It actually didn't occur to me that it sounded bad to throw the books at the kids--but then I have 2 teens. But I agree with Marialyce: be careful with the books!

message 2100: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Laberge | 4 comments I bought Bonhauffer after seeing the author's reading on Book TV. I'm really enjoying the book.