M/T Reading Friends discussion

Miscellaneous Book Talk > Library Saturday

Comments (showing 1-44 of 44) (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 5932 comments I picked up Jane Johnson's The Tenth Gift and the new June issue of Book Page magazine today at the library. http://www.bookpage.com/
In Book Page, along with an intriguing looking review of Michael Connelly's The Scarecrow and an interview with one of my favorite audio book narrators, Barbara Rosenblat (narrator); I see some tempting looking books. Matthew Pearl's The Last Dickens A Novel, and Aravind Adiga's Between the Assassinations. Lots of good reading ahead!!!

Gail/Ladyvolz Bowman (ladyvolz) | 343 comments Gosh Ann, I am pretty darn impressed by the way you integrated the web address of Book Page and then the book titles in your post. They were all clickable AND at the far right of the post, there is a BOOKS MENTIONED IN THIS TOPIC where those books are listed again.... pretty clever!

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 5932 comments Gail:
Thanks! I am enjoying the features of Goodreads, it is a nicely designed and integrated site. For example, Melodie mentioned some paranormal and urban fantasy groups here that I am going to check out later; it was nice to be able to easily see what they are from her Goodreads profile page. I'll wait until I have read Charlaine Harris's Dead and Gone

Gail/Ladyvolz wrote: "Gosh Ann, I am pretty darn impressed by the way you integrated the web address of Book Page and then the book titles in your post. They were all clickable AND at the far right of the post, there is a BOOKS MENTIONED IN THIS TOPIC where those books are listed again.... pretty clever!
..."

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 5932 comments The Library today will be a book shuffle (sort of like Carol's accidental random track audio book listening on her Ipod Shuffle)

I finished Lethal Legacy A Novel in time for the Overdrive audio expiration today, so I guess that counts as being returned. Dan will love that I am not able to keep those out overdue for one extra minute. I also finished and loved A Rule Against Murder, so that goes back today on the due date. Not so easy after those two, I am not finished with Arnaldur Indriðason's book, The Draining Lake but will keep it and keep reading. Maybe I can finish before Monday and not have an overdue day.

I am also not finished with the audio of The Book Thief, and frustrated that two people who also have it out overdue could return their copy and I could then renew mine. Theirs were due on May 12 and 14. Arghhh.
I'll take The Book Thief audio back and be good, I now have myself on the hold list to get it on Overdrive audio. My luck it will come in and overlap with Lisa Scottoline's new Look Again, which I also have on my hold list on Overdrive. Those are sure less easy to manage. I never know when one will come available and the two week window makes them harder to fit in around other audio books.

But all in all, this book shuffle is rather fun! I'll pick up the newNevada Barr, Borderline, and Susan Wittig Albert's Wormwood too.

Carol/Bonadie (Bonadie) | 3718 comments Ann wrote: "
I am also not finished with the audio of The Book Thief, and frustrated that two people who also have it out overdue could return their copy and I could then renew mine. Theirs were due on May 12 and 14. Arghhh...."

What's this, Ann? Your ability to renew depends on other folks returning their copies? Is this Overdrive, or a regular book on CD? I've never heard of this, or heard of being able to see when others' books are due. Yikes, I would HATE it if other people could see how overdue my books are, LOL!

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 5932 comments Carol:
I didn't explain that very well. There was one hold on The Book Thief (CD's) and you can't renew a book if someone else has a hold on it. If one of the other more overdue books had come back, the hold would have been released and I could have renewed. When you view the copies of a library book you can see the status of each copy (available or out)and when it is due (but not who! - so your and my due date stretching secrets would be safe!)

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Your ability to renew depends on other folks returning their copies?
Is this Overdrive, or a regular book on CD? I've never heard of this, or heard of being able to see when others' books are due. Yikes, I would HATE it if other people could see how overdue my books are, LOL!
"

Carol/Bonadie (Bonadie) | 3718 comments Ann wrote: "When you view the copies of a library book you can see the status of each copy (available or out)and when it is due (but not who! - so your and my due date stretching secrets would be safe!)
..."

Oh, okay, now I get it. I don't think we can view the status of other copies of a book, but maybe I just never looked hard enough to find it. I will now!

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 5932 comments I hope everyone has something special to listen to or read this weekend. I am overwhelmed with good books right now. I am skipping the "in person" Library Saturday trip today, not able to return what is due yet, and nothing to pick up -- yet.
There are now two audio books on the way: Lisa Scottoline's Look Again and The Book Thief and I expect to get notice of a third Overdrive audio book on Tuesday, Dean Koontz's Relentless, when it is released.
For library audio book availability, when it rains it pours. I may have to skip at least one of these. I can set the audio from audible.com of Angels & Demons aside and pick it up later. I should be at a bit over the halfway point by next Saturday.

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 5932 comments I saw that Claudia is reading Alice Hoffman's The Story Sisters and have added it to my library holds list - for the audio book. It looks intriguing! I was also excited to see that the library has several Alice Hoffman books I haven't read yet that are on audio format. Woo Hoo!

Sherry  | 1965 comments Ann wrote: "I saw that Claudia is reading Alice Hoffman's The Story Sisters and have added it to my library holds list - for the audio book. It looks intriguing! I was also excited..."

i have the story sisters on my to read list, also. i'm a big fan of hoffman's.

Shomeret | 763 comments Sherry wrote: "Ann wrote: "I saw that Claudia is reading Alice Hoffman's The Story Sisters and have added it to my library holds list - for the audio book. It looks intriguing! I was ..."

I also have Story Sisters on To Read now. It sounds great.

My book for Saturday was the Hotel at the Corner of Bitter and Sweet which I finished this morning. I actually really liked it. I know that many people had problems with it, but I either didn't have those problems or didn't think they were significant.

Shomeret
next up: Second Sight by Beth Amos (paranormal thriller)

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 5932 comments Shomeret:
The book Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet looks intriguing. I may try it later if I can fit it in from the libary. I read one GR reader review that took a little fault with the author's portrayal of 1986 as the present time of the novel. I admit to being a bit put off by the first sentence of the book that I read in the Google preview, (in a rather unsubtle way it alluded to the age of a character who turned out to be 56, described as "old Henry Lee") but that is a personal pickiness and wouldn't stop me from reading the book. It might end up being insignificant.

I like that google preview feature - if anyone here hasn't enabled that here on Goodreads you can see under the right hand area on the page listing other editions a link to a google book preview. It skips a few pages here and there, but you can get a good feel for a book's style.

Shomeret wrote: "My book for Saturday was the Hotel at the Corner of Bitter and Sweet which I finished this morning. I actually really liked it. I know that many people had problems with it, but I either didn't have those problems or didn't think they were significant."

Claudia | 133 comments Ann wrote: "I saw that Claudia is reading Alice Hoffman's The Story Sisters and have added it to my library holds list - for the audio book.

The Third Angel A Novel

Ann if you like Alice Hoffman you should try this one it is my favorite book of hers.

Carol/Bonadie (Bonadie) | 3718 comments Ann wrote: "Ann wrote: "I am skipping the "in person" Library Saturday trip today, not able to return what is due yet, and nothing to pick up -- yet. ..."

Been there, done that, Ann!

I have too many audios out but am determined to get through them all.. The Comforts of a Muddy Saturday by Alexander McCall Smith,
No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy, and Lush Life A Novel by Richard Price. I'm listening to the Smith now.

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 5932 comments Carol:
I really enjoyed No Country for Old Men on audio - the dialogue lent well to audio.
Good luck with getting to all of your audio books too!! I am trying to finish reading The Draining Lake tonight. (not on audio)

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "I have too many audios out but am determined to get through them all.. The Comforts of a Muddy Saturday by Alexander McCall Smith,
No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy, and Lush Life A Novel by Richard Price. I'm listening to the Smith now. "

JanOMalleycat | 323 comments Carol said: "I have too many audios out but am determined to get through them all..'

I foresee a lot of housecleaning and yard work in Massachusetts in the next couple of weeks.

Jan O'Cat

Carol/Bonadie (Bonadie) | 3718 comments JanOMalleycat wrote: "Carol said: "I have too many audios out but am determined to get through them all..'

I foresee a lot of housecleaning and yard work in Massachusetts in the next couple of weeks."

That would be nice. Or lots of cooking and walking.

Claudia | 133 comments The Third Angel A Novel

Ann if you like Alice Hoffman you should try this one it is my favorite book of hers.

I guess I am a lier because The Story Sisters is my favorite book now.

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 5932 comments Claudia:

LOL, I'll see if I can't get to both books! Glad to hear you liked The Story Sisters!

Claudia wrote: "The Third Angel A Novel

I guess I am a liar because The Story Sisters is my favorite b..."

Donnajo | 2134 comments Went for the may and june bookpage today at the other library and they were already out of the may issue. She even checked in the back and they didn't have any copies laying around. Oh well have to get in there every month. I took 2 for june and dropped one off at my library I had mentioned it to one of the gals who work there and told her I would get her a copy to see if they can get them in my library. So now I guess I'll have to wait and see. And no I didn't get any library books out.

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 5932 comments It has been a while since I had something to pick up at the library. Today is it Dark Places A Novel by Gillian Flynn. I admit to being a bit apprehensive about how this book will go... I am not sure I am in the mood for another dysfunctional family. At least for today I won't find out about that particular book as I will pick back up Greg Rucka's Walking Dead
I did enjoy Flynn's Sharp Objects A Novel, but the characters were quite troubled and the emotions so vividly described, it was chilling.

Shomeret | 763 comments Ann wrote: "It has been a while since I had something to pick up at the library. Today is it Dark Places A Novel by Gillian Flynn. I admit to being a bit apprehensive about how th..."

I could not read Sharp Objects. I'm not even sure why I made the attempt. It's not my sort of book.

Yesterday I went to my local branch for the first time in several months and was horrified. I normally go to the branch near where I work which is very well staffed. Unfortunately, my local branch has apparently lost a great deal of staff. The branch manager and the reference librarian were checking out books. This normally doesn't happen in libraries. There are supposed to be clerks at the desk. The desk was covered with stacks of books that hadn't been checked in and there was a bad smell in the library that I couldn't identify. Yikes!
I checked out a book there because they need favorable checkout statistics and the reference librarian greeted me by name. It really must be so hard to work there.

Shomeret
currently reading: The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane

Barry (BarryPz) | 1589 comments ... Today is it Dark Places A Novel by Gillian Flynn. I admit to being a bit apprehensive about how this book will go... I am not sure I am in the mood for another dysfunctional family
They don't get much more dysfunctional than what you will see here. This is a very dark book.
Barry

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 5932 comments Barry:
I guess we should expect that based on the first book. I think I am going to read a few brighter outlook books before I try Dark Places.

Barry wrote: " ... Today is it Dark Places A Novel by Gillian Flynn. I admit to being a bit apprehensive about how this book will go... I am not sure I am in the mood for another dysfunctional family
They don't get much more dysfunctional than what you will see here. This is a very dark book.
..."

Yikes indeed! That must be so hard for them, and for the patrons. Budget cuts here have necessitated the reduction of hours at many branches and I worry about the lesser funds affecting book purchases too. So sad that at a time when people need library serices more than ever, less is sometimes available. I hope your branch will be able to rebound. Self checkout stations have helped here. Do they utilize those there? It has freed up a reduced staff up to check in and answer questions. So sad.

Shomeret wrote: "Unfortunately, my local branch has apparently lost a great deal of staff. The branch manager and the reference librarian were checking out books. This normally doesn't happen in libraries. There are supposed to be clerks at the desk. The desk was covered with stacks of books that hadn't been checked in and there was a bad smell in the library that I couldn't identify. Yikes! "

Shomeret | 763 comments Ann wrote: "Shomeret:
Yikes indeed! That must be so hard for them, and for the patrons. Budget cuts here have necessitated the reduction of hours at many branches and I worry about the lesser funds affecting ..."

My city can't afford self-checkout machines. It's in a serious financial crisis. All the library branches will now be closed on Sundays and Mondays. This makes things worse for my branch. They are already overwhelmed and now they will be faced with a pileup of books from the book drop when they open on Tuesdays.

Shomeret

Teresa in Ohio  (teresainohio) | 357 comments Shomeret wrote: "Ann wrote: "It has been a while since I had something to pick up at the library. Today is it Dark Places A Novel by Gillian Flynn. I admit to being a bit apprehensive ..."

that is so sad : ( Seems like budget cuts are attacking librarys. Recently our politicans wanted to slash the budget to the library. Considering that we CHOSE to pay an extra tax for our library, the people were in arms, sending many many letters to the capital. Nowadays the library is so much more than books. We use it for dvds, computer access and YIKES if I had to PAY to support the book habit in this house.

message 28: by JanOMalleycat (last edited Jul 19, 2009 08:55AM) (new)

JanOMalleycat | 323 comments Shomeret said: "I checked out a book there because they need favorable checkout statistics and the reference librarian greeted me by name. It really must be so hard to work there."

And: "My city can't afford self-checkout machines. It's in a serious financial crisis."

Shomeret, this is very sad. I hope your city doesn't have to resort to closing libraries. It sounds like they're near the end of their rope.

It's too bad they don't have volunteers to help check books in. When I worked at my library I found checking in and shelving books fun and I always imagine I'll go back and do it as a volunteer when I'm retired. And you're right: the book drop is terrible after closed days. It sure sounds like your librarians need some help.

Jan O'Cat

Carol/Bonadie (Bonadie) | 3718 comments Shomeret wrote: "Unfortunately, my local branch has apparently lost a great deal of staff. The branch manager and the reference librarian were checking out books. This normally doesn't happen in libraries. There are supposed to be clerks at the desk. The desk was covered with stacks of books that hadn't been checked in..."

Shom, this is so sad! I often wonder if I should volunteer at my library. It currently seems to be doing okay, but you never know.

Staffing issues are sad, but funky smells, well, that is tragic. Ick.

Carol/Bonadie (Bonadie) | 3718 comments JanOMalleycat wrote: "
It's too bad they don't have volunteers to help check books in. When I worked at my library I found checking in and shelving books fun and I always imagine I'll go back and do it as a volunteer when I'm retired. And you're right: the book drop is terrible after closed days. It sure sounds like your librarians need some help...."

Yeah, this is what I was thinking too, Jan. It occurs to me though, that one never sees a major call for volunteers before libraries are shut down. There must be a reason for that. Maybe the volunteer positions get tapped out quickly and its the ability to pay the trained professionals that determines whether a library can sustain itself.

Shomeret | 763 comments JanOMalleycat wrote: "Shomeret said: "I checked out a book there because they need favorable checkout statistics and the reference librarian greeted me by name. It really must be so hard to work there."

And: "My city c..."

My city's libraries are unionized. The union doesn't permit volunteers to shelve or check out books. Volunteers are only permitted to do tasks that the paid staff does not do on a routine basis. For example, as a volunteer I put audiobooks and music CDs in new cases. This is something that staff doesn't have time to do, but is necessary work.

I think there is a justification for not allowing volunteers to check out books. Checking out books gives volunteers access to patrons' library records which is a violation of confidentiality.

I don't see any justification for not allowing volunteers to shelve except for the union concern that if volunteers take over shelving, there won't be enough work for the unionized paid staff.

Shomeret
JF: The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane
NR: Dark Fire by C. J. Sansom

JanOMalleycat | 323 comments Shomeret said: "My city's libraries are unionized."

Wow, Shomeret, this is something that had never occurred to me. It does cast problems of unaffordable staff in a more difficult light.

At the library at which I worked volunteers seldom shelved books and never checked them in. I always took that to be because of accuracy problems (making sure every book is checked in; shelving books in the right place), but now I realize there may have been other issues.

I wouldn't ever expect volunteers to check books out for the privacy problems you mention.

Jan O'Cat

message 33: by Ann (last edited Jul 25, 2009 03:39PM) (new)

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 5932 comments Library Saturday today was three books out, none back in yet. I hope to finish Greg Rucka's Walking Dead this weekend. I picked up the audio of Angela's Ashes, Roadside Crosses by Jeff Deaver and a Playaway copy of Sara Paretsky's Bleeding Kansas which I started a while back and ran out of time. I may not get to it this round either, but will see. I am going to see if I can finish listening to The Bonesetter's Daughter before starting Angela's Ashes.

message 35: by Ann (last edited Jul 26, 2009 09:22AM) (new)

Rebel Angels looks good. Thanks for the tip! The library has it and the first book in the Libba Bray trilogy, even on audio. I'll have to try them someday when either my local branch has it in stock or my hold list is open. I filled the hold list back up to maximum right after picking up yesterday with 206 Bones (Kathy Reichs) and Undone (Karin Slaughter) I am annoyed that I hadn't tried harder to find Undone in the catalog earlier. The library didn't fill out the listing right (not all details like release date) and it is on order but didn't show up in normal searches on Encore. Now I am number 39. Grrr.

Shomeret wrote: "So I took out the sequel to a YA fantasy I read recently. I could have waited until Tuesday and taken it out at the library near where I work where it's also on the shelf in the YA section. I probably should have waited so that my library math would work out better, but I can't resist a book with the title Rebel Angels"

Barry (BarryPz) | 1589 comments I have The Rabbit Factory out from the library. It is an LA based quasi caper. My kind of book, more to follow when I have waded through all 650 pages of it.
Barry

LizH (Liz_H) | 681 comments Barry wrote: "I have The Rabbit Factory out from the library. It is an LA based quasi caper. My kind of book, more to follow when I have waded through all 650 pages of it.
Barry"

Barry, let me know, I read it a year ago or so, and LOVED it!

message 38: by Ann (last edited Aug 08, 2009 11:12AM) (new)

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 5932 comments Library Saturday again and I actually do have something to pick up: George Pelecanos's The Way Home
I am taking one back unread. I just couldn't stand the depressive nature of Dark Places A Novel this week. (Gillian Flynn, and author of Sharp Objects A Novel) I see Sandi and Donna liked it, but I also saw a couple of posts here that weren't encouraging and I couldn't get myself in the mood for Angelas Ashes on the commute and Dark Places at home.

It probably didn't help any that all I really want to read right now is Karin Slaughter's Undone and I am trying not to buy it and keep waiting my turn.

JanOMalleycat | 323 comments Ann said: "I couldn't get myself in the mood for Angelas Ashes on the commute and Dark Places at home."

Oh dear, that DOES sound like a bad combination, Ann. I confess that I'm intrigued by Gillian Flynn's books based on some of the comments here, but it will probably be a long time before I get to them.

Jan O'Cat

Donna in Southern Maryland (Cedarville922) | 120 comments I'm tickled to pick up Finger Lickin' Fifteen
today at the Library. That means I'll be in for giggles and grins for the next couple of days, interspersed with slogging through Mockingbird! :o)

Donna in Southern Maryland

Shomeret | 763 comments Ann wrote: "Library Saturday again and I actually do have something to pick up: George Pelecanos's The Way Home
I am taking one back unread. I just couldn't stand the depressiv..."

Since I usually don't read two books at once, I don't get bad combinations that way. Sometimes I get bad combinations of my reading and TV viewing. Since I read during commercials, sometimes I can't manage the switch between the show and the book, and have to wait until the show is over to resume reading.

I didn't go to the library today, but I did review my library math situation and decided that I needed to return Cutting For Stone and The Lace Reader unread. I just can't get to them in time right now.

Shomeret
currently reading:
Rachel's Secret

Sandi (sandin954) | 530 comments >>I am taking one back unread. I just couldn't stand the depressive nature of Dark Places A Novel this week. (Gillian Flynn, and author of Sharp Objects A Novel) I see Sandi and Donna liked it, but I also saw a couple of posts here that weren't encouraging and I couldn't get myself in the mood for Angelas Ashes on the commute and Dark Places at home.
<<

I did love Dark Places A Novel and thought you would too since you rated Sharp Objects A Novel so highly (could the difference be between listening to the audio vs. reading?), but it is always better to dnf than to force yourself into reading something you are not enjoying. I agree with Jan that both listening to Angela's Ashes and reading Dark Places would be a bad combination so maybe you can pick it up again sometime later when you are listening to lighter fare or try it on audio (looks like audible has it and it has multiple narrators which could be good).

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 5932 comments Sandi:
My mood and need for something more uplifting to read and a looming library due date pushed me to take Dark Places A Novel back to the library for now. I do have it marked as "get again" and agree, I did highly rank and enjoy Sharp Objects so Dark Places will likely be a book I will like when I get to it again. Thanks for the encouragement!!

Sandi wrote: "I did love Dark Places A Novel and thought you would too since you rated Sharp Objects A Novel so highly (could the difference be between listening to the audio vs. reading?), but it is always better to dnf than to force yourself into reading something you are not enjoying. I agree with Jan that both listening to Angela's Ashes and reading Dark Places would be a bad combination so maybe you can pick it up again sometime later when you are listening to lighter fare or try it on audio (looks like audible has it and it has multiple narrators which could be good). "

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 5932 comments Shomeret: That makes sense! With an audio and another book or two going all the time, I am guaranteed to have book combinations to deal with. I usually have no issues, but I needed something uplifting last week! LOL, of course then I chose Roadside Crosses where the MC is the very stable and likeable Kathryn Dance, not a disfunctional con artist.

Shomeret wrote: "Since I usually don't read two books at once, I don't get bad combinations that way. Sometimes I get bad combinations of my reading and TV viewing. Since I read during commercials, sometimes I can't manage the switch between the show and the book, and have to wait until the show is over to resume reading."