Historical Romance discussion

Introductions, if you choose.... > Introductions, if you choose.

Comments (showing 251-300 of 1,898) (1898 new)    post a comment »

message 251: by Kathrynn (new)

Kathrynn | 1055 comments Mod
Welcome Denise. Good to see you here.

message 252: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (mkdotson) | 30 comments Denise wrote: "I am new to this group I am hooked up with Para-normal romance but not really into the vampires scene more the fae stuff and am a bit of a Highlander fanatic after all the Outlander books. I also ..."

I love Th Bronze Horseman, I loaned my book to a co-worker who started it this weekend, cannot wait to hear her opinion. I have the 2nd book, but never read The Summer Garden.

message 253: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (ruffages) | 58 comments Denise wrote: "I am new to this group I am hooked up with Para-normal romance but not really into the vampires scene more the fae stuff and am a bit of a Highlander fanatic after all the Outlander books. I also ..."

If you are a fanatic of the Outlander series (I loved the first two, had a tough time with Voyager but made it through it, got part way through Drums of Autumn and gave up), I would highly suggest Lynn Kurland. She has 2 series that intersect: MacCleod and DePiaget. Start with "A Dance Through Time". The only thing that bugs me is that in her later books, she doesn't develop the characters enough to make full novels but rather they end up being included in "anthologies" with other novellas.

message 254: by Scarlett (last edited Oct 19, 2009 07:19AM) (new)

Scarlett Rains | 20 comments Hello fellow bookworms! I'm Scarlett Rains, author of historical romance and a new member of this group. I look forward to getting to know everyone. Carolyn, I also stalled a bit on the Outlander series after reading Voyager, but admire Gabaldon's work so much that I know I'll return to the series. One of my favorite historical romances of all time is Katherine, by Anya Seton. It is the tale of John of Gaunt and his love, Katherine Swynford. It's a wonderful story!

message 255: by Denise (new)

Denise (DShelton) | 16 comments Carolyn wrote: "Denise wrote: "I am new to this group I am hooked up with Para-normal romance but not really into the vampires scene more the fae stuff and am a bit of a Highlander fanatic after all the Outlander ..."

I have read a few in both those series by Lynn Kirkland I like her especially the whole idea of the continuing series of places on their land that they can travel to different times and had to 'accomplish' a task before they can return. I have read about 7 of her books total and I enjoy her style and humor. I really liked 'The Very Thought of You' as well.

message 256: by Kathrynn (new)

Welcome to the group, Scarlett. :-)

message 257: by Zita (new)

Zita Hi! I'm Zita and I've been consumed by HR since I first became aware of Jane Austen about two years ago. I read every day and also prefer audiobooks, if I can get them. I almost never buy books, but take them out of the library instead. I am 48 and on disability for emphysema. I still have young kids (youngest is 7) at home and some already in adulthood & on their own. I prefer Medieval romances and I also really enjoy historical novels when no romance is present at all, like Phillipa Gregory, Alison Weir, Bernard Cornwell, Elizabeth Chadwick...

message 258: by Zita (new)

Zita Bonnie wrote: "Hi Melanie,

I haven't read any of Elizabeth Chadwick's books. In fact, I've never heard of her! What kind of historicals does she write? I'm always on the lookout for new-to-me authors!"

Elizabeth Chadwick writes fiction stories contained within a book about real historical events. I find her writing engaging, addicting, detailed and very informative about the events or people who are her main subjects. Don't look to her for steamy romances, she writes about real people and real events, which I find endlessly interesting. I especially like the fact that her books are based on factual events because I use them to help me sort out and place people on my mental time line. It helps me get a better picture of what shaped a nation, a people, a time period, etc. She is by far one of my most favorite historical novelists (non-steamy & not necessarily romance novels.)

message 259: by Zita (new)

Zita Mandy wrote: "Hi my name is Mandy. I just turned 28. I am a wife and a mother of three small children (ages 7,4,and 2) and when I get the chance my favorite thing to do is read. I just got the Amazon Kindle for ..."

What is the Kindle and how does it work? What makes it so different from reading an actual book?

message 260: by new_user (last edited Oct 21, 2009 06:04PM) (new)

new_user It's an eReader sold by Amazon, Zita. It's a small device that you can read books on. There's not much difference, really. Except you can store a lot of books in this small device and also buy and read them instantly.

Tabitha (Bows & Bullets Reviews) (PirateVanRock) Hello. My name is Tabitha and I have been reading historical romance novels since I was in 8th grade. I was lucky enough that my parents didn't pay too much attention to what I read or my addiction may never have gotten started. So I've been reading them for almost 10 years now and I show no signs of tiring of them.

message 262: by Kathrynn (new)

Welcome Zita and Tabitha!

message 263: by April (new)

April Dawn (AprilDawnbooks) | 16 comments Welcome, it is wonderful to see more long time romance fans here. Personally, I had to sneak my books, but I have been reading romance since I was a girl as well.

message 264: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (ghemomma) | 189 comments Hi, my name is Cheryl. I read my first historical romance novel two years ago. It was Shadow Music by Julie Garwood. My husband and children and myself had been visiting my in-laws and I needed something to do (there is only one television at my in-laws house and not much else to do with it being in the middle of nowhere!). So my mother-in-law offered me a book. Well, my first thought was to decline the offer, she mostly reads sci/fi, which is not my taste. But I read what the story was about and thought, "why not?". It was intriguing but not enough to cause me to go out and get more HR books. Then a year later, the same thing happened. We were visiting and she offered me another Julie Garwood book, Castles. Well, that did it! I fell in love with not only Julie Garwood but with HR novels in general! I have been devouring them since May of this year and loving every minute of it. My favorite book to date is The Bride by Julie Garwood. But there are some close seconds!! I have also fallen in love with books by Lisa Kleypas, Julia Quinn and newcomer Tessa Dare. I just joined this group and I am hoping that I will learn about even more authors to love and maybe make a few friends!

message 265: by Kathrynn (new)

Nice story, Cheryl. Good to see you here. Lots of discussions started or feel free to start your own. :-)

Happy reading to you,

message 266: by Julianna (new)

Julianna (AuthorJuliannaD) | 340 comments Welcome, Cheryl. Julie Garwood is one of my favorite authors too. She wasn't the first romance author I read, but she was one of the earliest. My MIL introduced me to her too.:-)

message 267: by ~Sara~ (new)

~Sara~ | 15 comments Hello to everyone.
I started reading romance novels fairly young but had to settle for what was lying around at my friends house which was usually Harlequin Blaze or Intrigue.
I prefer regency romance and have read just about everything by Mary Balogh, Amanda Quick and Elizabeth Thornton.
I also really like Kasey Michaels and Vicki Lewis Thompson.

message 268: by Kathrynn (last edited Nov 21, 2009 06:31AM) (new)

Welcome to the group, Sara. :-)

message 269: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (jedisakora) | 80 comments Hi,
I'm new here. ^^ I'm 23 and about to graduate from university with a degree in Law and Society. I've been a fan of historical romances since i read my first one when i was 15. The first romance book i ever read was "Anna and the Duke" by Kathryn Smith. I initially only picked it up because the main character was named Ewan and i was obsessed with Ewan McGregor at the time. I soon became hooked. I read romance books like a person eating gummy bears till i got into university. Since then uni has sort of kept my life busy and i rarely found time to read. Either that or i was so tired from reading from university i didn't want to read for fun. Now that i'm graduating i've found time and have started up again. ^^

message 270: by new_user (new)

new_user Hey, Melissa! Welcome. :)

message 271: by Kathrynn (new)

Welcome to the group Melissa. Where have I heard the name "Ewan McGregor" before?

message 272: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz | 899 comments Mod
Kathrynn wrote: "Welcome to the group Melissa. Where have I heard the name "Ewan McGregor" before?"

Hmm, we talked about him in the Alpha group a while back Kathrynn to say who would look like a good Highland Laird (lol!) Other than that he's been in a few flicks recently.

Welcome to the group Melissa :)

message 273: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (jedisakora) | 80 comments Kathrynn wrote: "Welcome to the group Melissa. Where have I heard the name "Ewan McGregor" before?"

He was also Obi-Wan Kenobi in Star Wars 1-3 and Christian in Mulan Rouge. ^^

Thanks for the welcome! new_user, Kathrynn, and Eastofoz ^^

message 274: by Kathrynn (new)

Ah, thank you. That name sounded so familiar. :-)

Congratulations, Melissa, on finishing your degree. Quite an accomplishment. Good for you. :-) Welcome back to the wonderful world of fictional reading.

message 275: by Florentine (new)

Florentine | 2 comments Hi everyone... this is my first time I read HIstorical Romance... n you know.. I Love it!!!
now, i'm looking for another historical romance from another author.. Welll, my name is Florentine and i come from indonesia...

message 276: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz | 899 comments Mod
Welcome to the group Florentine :) I'm sure you'll find tons of readers who can give you some good recommendations based on what you enjoy :)

message 277: by Kathrynn (new)

Hi Florentine. What Historical Romance (HR) book(s) did you read? Based on what you like(d), you get lots of recommendations here. :-) Nice to see you here.

message 278: by Florentine (new)

Florentine | 2 comments Hi all... nice to meet you!!!

message 279: by Mishelle (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (MsShell) Hello, My name is Shell Schroth. I live in Vernon, B.C., Canada, to be more specific. I used to read, and write in my early teens, post partying, and convincing myself I was invincible, and better than the rest of the world. Lol. Then I was quite literally knocked of my preverbial high horse, when I discovered I was pregnant, at 18 with my saving grace, and oldest son, Ayden. Since then, I have married a wonderful man, cognizant of al my faults, and loving me despite of them, had 2 more beautiful, and quirky boys, making our family number total 5. Lost in mothering, wife-ing, and a career, I never was able to get back to my first love of reading and writing. A little over a year and a half ago, a co-worker, great friend, and fellow historical romance enthusiast handed me a book, imploring me to read it, quite convinced I would fall in love with her favorite past time, and become her "reading buddy". I took one look at the book now in my hands, and stiffled a laugh, as to not offend her. It was a Romance, a genre of literature I have never attempted, nor had I any desire too. She continued on me for weeks, encouraging me, (Nagging relentlessly to be precise), to just give it a chance. Wearing me down, I decided to give it a shot, If for no other reason than to shut her up. lol. The book she gave me was "Once and Always", By the amazing Judith McNaught, and I have quite willingly joined the scores of historical romance loving women, (and some men too) everywhere.

message 280: by Kathrynn (new)

Hi Shell, welcome to the group and Goodreads. Nice story. :-) Thanks for sharing that. Lots of topics started here or start your own.

Getting any snow up there? ;-)

message 281: by Mishelle (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (MsShell) Kathrynn wrote: "Hi Shell, welcome to the group and Goodreads. Nice story. :-) Thanks for sharing that. Lots of topics started here or start your own.

Getting any snow up there? ;-)"

Yah, unfortunatly. I'm not a big fan of snow myself, Have no problem with its existance up in the mountains, but would rather not see it down in the valley.

And Thank-you for the group. I have found many interesting topic discussions. (Like I needed something else to occupy my time... My husband shall be thrilled. lol)

message 282: by Carla (new)

Carla  (CarlaAnn13) Hi My name is CAB and I love reading HF. I just finishes reading The Summer Garden by Paullina Simons. It is the third in a series about a Soviet woman and her American husband. It starts out in Russia in WWII. Since I finished what seems to me the best books I have ever read I don't know what to read next. I have already read all of Diana Gabaldon books. I also have read and enjoyed Phillipa Gregory and Sarah Donati. Does anyone have any suggestions?

message 283: by Kathrynn (new)

Hi Cab and welcome to the Historical Romance Group. I am not familiar with the authors you mentioned. Are they romance or historical fiction?

Weird thing on Phillipa Gregory in that her name here is Phillipa Ashley. I tracked down one of the books that had a ISBN, found a book cover and it came up as Ashley. Name change? Don't know. But, Phllipa Ashley also lays claims to the same title books as Phillipa Gregory and is a GRs author who wants to take care of her own books, so hopefully, she'll straighten that mess out.

I recommend Catherine Anderson's "Comanche Moon." There's a discussion on her books going on now under westerns and author's names.

Also, Pamela Clare's "Ride the Fire" and "Surrender."

Depends on what you like. Regency? Colonial America? Native American?

Again, welcome to the wonderful world of historical romance. ;-)

message 284: by *Kyhm* (new)

*Kyhm* (exxcentrica) Hello, my name is Kim. I've been devouring(!) books all my life. According to my mom, i bit my preschool teacher because reading time was over!!! I started reading historicals in middle school. My favorite HR authors right now are Lisa Kleypas, Julia Quinn, and Johanna Lindsay.

message 285: by Kathrynn (new)

Hi Kim! Welcome to the Historical Romance Group. There are a lot of Lisa Kleypas, Julia Quinn and Johanna Lindsay fans here. Good to see you here.

message 286: by Amar (new)

Amar | 150 comments Hi all! My name is Amar and I'm just getting back into reading HRs...reading through Lisa Kleypas books like mad! also like Pamela Clare. I'd like to say thanks to IsisFG from the Nora Roberts and Romantic Suspense groups for helping me rediscover this genre! :-)

message 287: by Kathrynn (new)

Hi Amar. Welcome to Historical Romance. :-) Good to see you here, too.

message 288: by Amar (new)

Amar | 150 comments Hi Kathrynn, nice to see you too...love seeing familiar faces in all the romance groups :-)

message 289: by Carrie (last edited Jan 03, 2010 08:58PM) (new)

Carrie Hello I'm Carrie just wanted to say hi, I joined this group the other day. I finished a wonderful book the other day it's A Christmas Kiss by Elizabeth Mansfield. It was the first time I've read anything by this author and I'm now on the search for more by her. I loved Tracy Anne Warrens Mistress trilogy The Accidental Mistress being my favorite of the 3. I'm hoping to come across some other great books and authors in this group

message 290: by Kathrynn (new)

Hi Carrie. Welcome to Historical Romance. "A Christmas Kiss" looks like a neat Christmas-feeling book. :-)

message 291: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (jedisakora) | 80 comments Hi Carrie, Cab, Kimberly, Amar, Shell, and Florentine. ^^

I believe i got all of the backlog now.

message 292: by Mey (last edited Jan 08, 2010 10:40AM) (new)

Mey Buentipo (mbuentipo) | 29 comments Hello everyone. I am Mey and I started reading when I was 13, since then I am still hooked up with historical romance books. My first book is Gentle Warrior by Julie Garwood, from that moment on, I started reading and collecting her books. I am proud to say that I completed all her historical romance books. Then start exploring other authors. My authors are: Lisa Kleypas, Elizabeth hoyt, Julie Garwood, Judith Mcnaught, Amanda QUick, Jude deveraux, Kathleen Woodwiss, Cathy MAxwell, Julia QUinn, Laura Lee gurhke, Karen Hawkins and Kresley COle. I just recently discovered the last 3 authors.

I am glad to be here. I am still exploring other authors that i have not yet encountered. Any recommendation is highly appreciated. :-)

message 293: by Kathrynn (new)

Hello Mey!

Pamela Clare has some great (excellent!) colonial westerns: "Ride the Fire," Surrender," "Untamed."

Ride the Fire (Blakewell/Kenleigh Family Trilogy, #3) by Pamela Clare

Surrender (MacKinnon's Rangers Trilogy, #1) by Pamela Clare

Untamed (MacKinnon's Rangers Trilogy, #2) by Pamela Clare

Catherine Anderson's "Comanche Moon" is an American Indian romance that was one of the best I have ever read.
Comanche Moon (Comanche, #1) by Catherine Anderson

message 294: by Mishelle (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (MsShell) Kathrynn wrote: "Hello Mey!

Pamela Clare has some great (excellent!) colonial westerns: "Ride the Fire," Surrender," "Untamed."

Surrender (MacKinnon's Rangers Trilogy, #1) by Pamela Clare

[bookcover:Unta..."

Agree about 'comanche Moon', I loved this book.

Heather (Let's-Go-Pens-We're-Gonna-Take-This-One) Shell wrote: "Kathrynn wrote: "Hello Mey!

[bookcover:Surrender|65..."

Me too! Comanche Moon was great!

message 296: by Megan (new)

Megan | 5 comments Hi All! I'm Megan and I have been reading romance books since I was 14. I started reading Vampire Romances in 1996 (when they were few and far between), and very shortly after that started reading HR books. I still stick to mainly those two categories- Paranromal and Historical. My first Vamp romance was Maggie Shayne's Wings in the Night series. I think from their I started reading Teresa Medeiros- which got me hooked on HR, then branched out to Heather Graham/Shannon Drake, and others.

I haven't read any of the really "big names" in HR like Julie Garwood, Jude Deveraux, Amanda Quick, etc. But, I do have several of them on my TBR list (and bookshelf), I just need to find more time to read! LOL

message 297: by Kathrynn (new)

Hi Megan. Welcome to the Historical Romance Group. Good to see you here.

"I just need to find more time to read!" Me, too. ;-)

message 298: by Megan (new)

Megan | 5 comments Thank you! I don't know why I did not join this group earlier- I love historical romances!

message 299: by Carla (new)

Carla  (CarlaAnn13) Kathrynn wrote: "Hi Cab and welcome to the Historical Romance Group. I am not familiar with the authors you mentioned. Are they romance or historical fiction?

Weird thing on Phillipa Gregory in that her name h..."

Kathrynn wrote: "Hi Cab and welcome to the Historical Romance Group. I am not familiar with the authors you mentioned. Are they romance or historical fiction?

Weird thing on Phillipa Gregory in that her name h..."

Thank you for the recommendations. Not sure of the exact difference between Historical Fiction and Historical Romance? Outlander and The Bronze Horseman are my favorites but I am not sure which they would be classified under.

message 300: by Mishelle (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (MsShell) Cab wrote: "Kathrynn wrote: "Hi Cab and welcome to the Historical Romance Group. I am not familiar with the authors you mentioned. Are they romance or historical fiction?

Weird thing on Phillipa Gregory i..."

I'm with you Cab. I'm not sure of the distinction either. To me if its historical in content, and revolves around a love story, it would be HR. Loved The Bronze Horseman... Just finished it. And Outlander is ne of my favorites.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

On the Night of the Seventh Moon (other topics)
Tender Is the Storm (other topics)
The Pirate's Captive (other topics)
Beauty (other topics)
Gone with the Wind (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Lynn Kurland (other topics)
Joyce DiPastena (other topics)
Laura Lee Guhrke (other topics)
Amanda Quick (other topics)
Lisa Kleypas (other topics)
More...