The Next Best Book Club discussion

Cynthia's Seasonal Challenges > OFFICIAL SUMMER CHALLENGE 2009

Comments (showing 1-50 of 6,756) (6756 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Cynthia (last edited May 27, 2009 08:06PM) (new)

Cynthia (PandoraPhoebesMom) | 1830 comments Here it is THE SUMMER CHALLENGE, again there were a lot of tasks suggested for this round and I had a hard time picking what to go with. I hope you enjoy what I came up with and will have fun competing this season's tasks.

THE RULES
1. Anyone can participate in the challenge and can join in at anytime from JUNE 1st and through Midnight (EST) AUGUST 31st.
2. Each individual can set their own goal as to how many points they think they can earn in that time and if they want to they can reward themselves.
3. Rewards
• The top 3 point earners at the end of the challenge will get to choose the 25 point tasks for the next challenge.
• If more than 3 people complete the entire challenge additional 25 point tasks will be added.
• The Most Improved Player and Rookie of the Season will get to select a 20 point task.
• The top point earner at the midway point of this challenge - Noon on JULY 16th - will get to pick a 50 point task for the Summer Challenge.
4. Each task counts for points only ONCE and the same book can not be used for two categories.
5. Re-reads count (unless otherwise stated).
6. If you have less than 50% of a book you started prior to the beginning of the current challenge it may be counted towards your point total (if it meets the criteria for one the tasks). I.E. If you are on page 10 of a 200 page book on May 31st and it fits one of the Summer Challenge categories it will count.
7. Small adjustments can be made to the categories but try to stick as close to the task as possible...if you aren't sure if a book will fit the task feel free to ask.
8. Short books (I'd say 100 pages or less) like children's books should be used sparingly and only for the 5 point tasks.
9. Audio books can be used to complete any of the tasks unless otherwise noted.
10. It's fine to change your mind about which books you plan to use for which task at any point...just let me know if you have already claimed points for a task and are changing that book to another task.
11. Other than that all I ask is that you have fun; post and share your opinions about the books you are reading; and let me know what your point total is so I can update the leader board.

THE TASKS

5 Points
1. Andy Griffith (Actor) - Born June 1, 1926 - Read A Book That Takes Place In Or Is About A Small Town Ala Mayberry.

2. Twyla Tharp (Dancer/Choreographer) - Born July 1, 1944 - Read A Book With The Word…
• Dance, Dances, Dancing, Dancer, Dancers
• A Dance Term I.E. Pirouette, Arabesque, Plie Etc.
• Or A Specific Type of Dance in the Title I.E. Ballet, Tap, Tango Etc.

3. Jerry Garcia (Musician) - Born August 1, 1942 – Read A Fiction or Non-Fiction Book about A Musician or Band.

4. Going To The Chapel And They’re Gonna Get Married – Read a Book Where the Main Character Is Getting Married or Where a Wedding Occurs during the Course of the Story.

5. Tasty Treat’s straight From the Farmer’s Market – Read a Book with a Fruit or Vegetable in the Title.

6. Christmas In July – Read A Christmas Story Or A Book That Takes Place Primarily During Winter.

7. Discover Hidden Gems - From Your Favorite Genre…Find And Read A Book That Has Less Than 50 Ratings On Goodreads. If You Select A Book Well In Advance Of Completing The Task - Check To Be Sure It Has Less Than 50 Ratings At The Time You Read It Otherwise It Doesn't Count.

8. Let’s Hit The Beach – Read a book with one of these “Beachy” words in the title – Beach, Boardwalk, Island, Lighthouse, Ocean, Sand, Sandcastle, Sea, Seashell, Seashore, Seaweed, Shell, Shore, Starfish, Tide, or Wave.

9. This Day in History - July 27, 1858: First Use of Fingerprints as a Means of Identification – Read A Mystery Or Crime Fiction Book.

10. U.S. Independence Day – July 4th - Read A Historical Fiction Book That Takes Place In The U.S. And Relates Somehow To An Important Event Or Time Period In Its History I.E. The Revolutionary War or the Great Depression.

10 Points
1. Wolfgang Puck – Famous Chef – Born July 8, 1949 – Read A Novel Where The Main Character Is A Chef, A Caterer, A Waiter Or Waitress...Or Basically Anybody Whose Job Revolves Around/Relates To Food.

2. Percy Bysshe Shelly – Born August 4, 1792 And Died July 8, 1822 – Famous English Poet – Read A Book Written By An Author That Lived During His Lifetime.

3. Hans Christian Anderson – Died August 4, 1875 – Read a Collection of Fairy Tales or a Novel That Is An Adaptation Of A Classic Fairy Tale.

4. Day Of The African Child - June 16th - Read A Book Written By An African Author; Or Set In Africa/About Africa.

5. Bastille Day - July 14th - Read A Book Written By A French Author; Or Set In/About France.

6. This Day In History - August 6th, 1945 – The Bombing Of Hiroshima – Read A Book Written By A Japanese Author; Or Set In/About Japan.

7. June, July, August Are The 6/7/and 8th Months in the Year – Pick and Read ONE book that has…
• 6/6th/Six/Sixth
• 7/7th/Seven/Seventh
• Or 8/8th/Eight/Eighth in the title
Or is the 6th/7th/or 8th book in a series.

8. Our House In The Middle Of Our…(Street, Drive, Court, Lane Etc.). Your task is to read a book whose title has the one of those that matches where you currently live.
• I.E. If You Live On Main Street Then You Would Read A Book With The Word Street In The Title Such As The Street of a Thousand Blossoms.

9. Take Me Out To The Ballgame – Read A Non-Fiction Or Fiction Book About A Baseball Player Or The Game Of Baseball.

10. Dog Days Of Summer – Read A Fiction Or Non-Fiction Book With The Word Dog Or A Specific Breed Of Dog In The Title.

message 2: by Cynthia (last edited Jul 15, 2009 07:21AM) (new)

Cynthia (PandoraPhoebesMom) | 1830 comments 15 Points
1. Dream Vacation – Read A Fiction Book That Takes Place In Or A Non-Fiction Book About Your Dream Vacation Spot – When Finished Reading Create And Post An Itinerary Of Things You Would Do If You Were To Visit That Location.

2. Casting Call – Read A Book That Hasn’t Already Been Made Into A Movie And Post A List Of Who You Would Cast If You Were Making The Film.

3. It’s Summer So It’s Time To Enjoy The Great Outdoors - Read an Entire Book While Sitting Outside – Book Must Be At Least 150 Pages. For Those Of You Who Live Where It Is Actually Winter You May Read A Book About Outdoor Activities (Instead Of Reading Outside) Like Camping, Rafting, Fishing - It Should Be An Activity Done In Summer Though Not Like Skiing Or Snowboarding.

4. Quiz Me? – Do the Goodreads Trivia Quiz and Read the First Book You Come to but Haven’t Yet Read.

5. Current Events – Read A Book That In Someway Relates To Current/Recent Events/Topics From The News And Read A Newspaper Or Magazine Article Related To The Same Topic.
• The Book Itself Does Not Have To Be Set In Current Times…I.E. They Say History Repeats Itself So A Historical Fiction Book With A Subject That Is Relatable To A Current Event Is Acceptable.

6. Opposites Attract – Read 2 Books That Have Words in the Titles That Have Opposite Meanings – i.e. If You Selected the Pair Up/Down You Could Read – Seven Up AND Don't Look Down.

7. Popularity Contest…
• Read One Book From The All Time Most Popular Books On Goodreads http://www.goodreads.com/book/popular
• And One From The All Time Most Unpopular Books On Goodreads Shelf http://www.goodreads.com/book/unpopular
• The Books Can Be From The List For Your Country Or The World List.

8. Friendly Suggestions…
• Read A 5 Star Book From The Book List Of The First Friend You Made On Good Reads
And A Book They Gave 1 Star Or Their Lowest Rating To (But Not An Unread Book).
• If You Currently Don’t Have Any Friends On Goodreads…Then Ask Someone From The Group To Be Your Friend And Follow The Instructions Above.
• If Your First Friend Does Not Have Any Books Listed On Goodreads Then You May Go To The Next Person On The List.

9. What’s In a Name? – Read 2 Books Written By 2 Different Authors Who Share Either A First Or Last Name.

10. Initial Thoughts - Read 2 Books Where the First Letter of the First Word In The Titles Matches Your Initials.
• For Example, My Initials Are CS Therefore I Could Read – Cakewalk and Super in the City.
• The words the/a don’t count even if one or both of your initials are A/T.

20 Points
1. MOST IMPROVED PLAYER - Rhiannon's Task – Choose and Read a Book by an Author That Shares the Same Birthday as you. Month and Date.

2. ROOKIE OF THE SEASON - Tina's Task – June 6 is the Anniversary of D-Day - Read a Book that Takes Place During WWII.

25 Points
1. Jessica IL’s Task – Paying Homage - Read A Classic Novel Or Play And Then Read A Modern Novel That Reinterprets That Story Or The Characters In It.

2. Ashley ID's Task - Read a Dystopian novel...for this task you would read a book about a dystopian/totalitarian government; or a novel where the government creates a dystopian society.

3. Cait's Task - In honor of our Mod Squad, read 2 books - one from Lori's (the TNBBC Mod's) shelf and one from Cynthia (the Seasonal Challenge Mod's) shelf - by an author you've never read before. The book can be on their TBR or Read shelves.

4. Amy MA's Task - The Birthstones for June, July and August are Pearl, Ruby and Peridot. Read a Book Where One of These Stones is Named in the Title or is Part of the Author's Name.

5. Beth MN's Task - Read two books (no audio) from the adult genre of your choice (no YA or children's fiction) with over 555 pages each.

6. Sharon's Task - Edinburgh International Festival - In honor of this annual summer festival that's held in the capital city of the country where Sharon lives...Read a Fiction or Non-Fiction book that takes place in or is about the capital city of the country you live in. If you are a US resident you can read a book that takes place in or is about the State Capital of the state you currently live in or the U.S. Capital Washington D.C..

7. Bonnie's Task - Read a Book with 900+ pages.

8. Angela IL's Task - Read 2 Books by 2 Different Goodreads Authors.

9. April's Task - Reading Through The Ages: Read a book first published in the 1800s, a book first published in the 1900s, and a book first published in the 2000s

10. Kristina GA's Task - Read A Book About A Secret Society And Post A Little Review About It. It Could Be Fiction Or Non-Fiction.

30 Point Tasks
1. Donna Jo's Task - Read A Biographical Fiction Book & An Autobiography/Biography About That Person.

2. Sandy's Task – In Honor of Lucille Ball's B-Day (Aug 6, 1911) and My Favorite TV Show I Love Lucy Read Two Books with Main Characters Whose Names are Lucy, Ricky, Fred or Ethel, or A Variation Of Any Of Those Names. Both Books Can Have The Same Name Or It Can Be Different.
Lucy= Lucille, Lucila, Lucia, Lucina, Lucette, Luc, Luciana, Lucie, Luce and Lucinda

Ricky= Ricardo, Richard, Rick, Dick, Richie, Ricki, Rikki, Ricarda

Fred= Frederick, Freddy, Freddie, Fredericka, Freda,

Ethel= Ethelda, Etel, Ethelene, Ethelyn

3. Wendy's Task - Summer Peace Accord- Read 2 Books…
• One Book With A Positive Muslim, Islamic, Or Arabic Protagonist
• And One Book with a Positive Jewish, Israeli or Zionist Character.

4. BJ Rose’s Task - In Honor Of U.S. Independence Day - Read A Biography (Not An Autobiography) Of A U.S. President Who Either Was Born Or Who Died During Summer. The book must be at least 300 pages.
• Born In Summer - John Quincy Adams, Benjamin Harrison, Calvin Coolidge, Herbert Clark Hoover, Lyndon Baines Johnson, Gerald Rudolph Ford, George Herbert Walker Bush, William Jefferson (Bill) Clinton, George Walker Bush, Barack Hussein Obama
• Died In Summer - Thomas Jefferson, John Adams, James Monroe, James Madison, Andrew Jackson, James Knox Polk, Zachary Taylor, Martin Van Buren, James Buchanan, Andrew Johnson, Ulysses S. Grant, Grover Cleveland, Warren G. Harding, Ronald W. Reagan

5. Kristen IL's Task - In Celebration of Young Adult Librarians Everywhere…Read Three YA Books.

6. Bridgit’s Task - Read a Compilation of Short Stories or Essays...it can't be a book with a collection of short stories all written by the same author. Then Choose One Of The Authors Included In The Compilation That You Have NEVER Read Before, And Read A Stand-Alone Book Of Theirs. (Not another Short Story).

7. Kristenr’s Task – Read a Book First Published the Year Your Father Was Born, and a Book First Published the Year You Were Born.

8. Leora’s Task – Pick and Read 2 Books From The '1001 Books To Read Before You Die' List. http://www.listology.com/list/1001-bo...

9. Lizzi’s Task – Judge a Book by Its Cover. Select a Book Only Because You Love the Cover, And Post a Picture or a Link So We Can See the Cover When You're Finished.

10. Rora’s Task – Read A Nominee Or Winner Of The Mythopoeic Fantasy Award From 1971-1991. http://www.mythsoc.org/awards/fantasy/

50 Point Mid-Way Task
1. ROSEANN'S TASK - Read a "Book About Books" (non-fiction) and then read one of the books mentioned within it (fiction). In your post, give the reason you chose the second book and if your opinion matches that of the author who mentioned the fiction book.

message 3: by Angela (last edited Aug 26, 2009 09:31PM) (new)

Angela | 1934 comments 5 Points
1. Andy Griffith (Actor) - Born June 1, 1926 - Read A Book That Takes Place In Or Is About A Small Town Ala Mayberry.

2. Twyla Tharp (Dancer/Choreographer) - Born July 1, 1944 - Read A Book With The Word…
The Dead Don't Dance by Charles Martin-8/19 (326 pgs)

3. Jerry Garcia (Musician) - Born August 1, 1942 – Read A Fiction or Non-Fiction Book about A Musician or Band.
Fame Junkies: The Hidden Truths Behind America's Favorite Addiction by Jake Halpern-8/22 (198 pgs)

4. Going To The Chapel And They’re Gonna Get Married –Read a Book Where the Main Character Is Getting Married or Where a Wedding Occurs during the Course of the Story.
Jack with a Twist: Engaging Your Adversary and Other Things They Don't Teach You in Law School by Brenda Janowitz-6/30 (373 pgs)

5. Tasty Treat’s straight From the Farmer’s Market – Read a Book with a Fruit or Vegetable in the Title.
Orange Mint and Honey by Carleen Brice-8/17 (303 pgs)

6. Christmas In July – Read A Christmas Story Or A Book That Takes Place Primarily During Winter.
An Idiot Girl's Christmas: True Tales from the Top of the Naughty List by Laurie Notaro-8/5 (137 pgs)

7. Discover Hidden Gems - From Your Favorite Genre…Find And Read A Book That Has Less Than 50 Ratings On Goodreads. If You Select A Book Well In Advance Of Completing The Task - Check To Be Sure It Has Less Than 50 Ratings At The Time You Read It Otherwise It Doesn't Count.
Little Miss Smarty-Pants by Suzanne Kopoulos-6/3 (308 pgs)

8. Let’s Hit The Beach – Read a book with one of these “Beachy” words in the title – Beach, Boardwalk, Island, Lighthouse, Ocean, Sand, Sandcastle, Sea, Seashell, Seashore, Seaweed, Shell, Shore, Starfish, Tide, or Wave.
Swallow the Ocean: A Memoir by Laura Flynn-8/21 (272 pgs)

9. This Day in History - July 27, 1858: First Use of Fingerprints as a Means of Identification – Read A Mystery Or Crime Fiction Book.
Swimsuit by James Patterson-7/5 (391 pgs)

10. U.S. Independence Day – July 4th - Read A Historical Fiction Book That Takes Place In The U.S. And Relates Somehow To An Important Event Or Time Period In Its History I.E. The Revolutionary War or the Great Depression.
The Help by Kathryn Stockett-8/10 (451 pgs)

10 Points
1. Wolfgang Puck – Famous Chef – Born July 8, 1949 – Read A Novel Where The Main Character Is A Chef, A Caterer, A Waiter Or Waitress...Or Basically Anybody Whose Job Revolves Around/Relates To Food.
Comfort Food by Kate Jacobs-8/8 (341 pgs)

2. Percy Bysshe Shelly – Born August 4, 1792 And Died July 8, 1822 – Famous English Poet – Read A Book Written By An Author That Lived During His Lifetime.

3. Hans Christian Anderson – Died August 4, 1875 – Read a Collection of Fairy Tales or a Novel That Is An Adaptation Of A Classic Fairy Tale.

4. Day Of The African Child - June 16th - Read A Book Written By An African Author; Or Set In Africa/About Africa.

5. Bastille Day - July 14th - Read A Book Written By A French Author; Or Set In/About France.
Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay-8/23 (293 pgs)

6. This Day In History - August 6th, 1945 – The Bombing Of Hiroshima – Read A Book Written By A Japanese Author; Or Set In/About Japan.
Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro-8/23 (288 pgs)

7. June, July, August Are The 6/7/and 8th Months in the Year – Pick and Read ONE book that has…
• 6/6th/Six/Sixth
• 7/7th/Seven/Seventh
• Or 8/8th/Eight/Eighth in the title
• Or is the 6th/7th/or 8th book in a series.
8th Confession by James Patterson-6/8 (352 pgs)

8. Our House In The Middle Of Our…(Street, Drive, Court, Lane Etc.). Your task is to read a book whose title has the one of those that matches where you currently live.
Two-Way Street by Lauren Barnholdt-8/25 (288 pgs)

9. Take Me Out To The Ballgame – Read A Non-Fiction Or Fiction Book About A Baseball Player Or The Game Of Baseball.
The Girl Who Threw Butterflies by Mick Cochrane-8/26 (177 pgs)

10. Dog Days Of Summer – Read A Fiction Or Non-Fiction Book With The Word Dog Or A Specific Breed Of Dog In The Title.
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon-6/13 (221 pgs)

15 Points
1. Dream Vacation – Read A Fiction Book That Takes Place In Or A Non-Fiction Book About Your Dream Vacation Spot (It Should Be A Specific Location I.E. Not Just the Beach or Mountains but Hawaii or the Swiss Alps Etc.) – When Finished Reading Create And Post An Itinerary Of Things You Would Do If You Were To Visit That Location.

2. Casting Call – Read A Book That Hasn’t Already Been Made Into A Movie And Post A List Of Who You Would Cast If You Were Making The Film.
The Abortionist's Daughter by Elisabeth Hyde-8/17 (285 pgs)

3. It’s Summer So It’s Time To Enjoy The Great Outdoors - Read an Entire Book While Sitting Outside –Book Must Be At Least 150 Pages.
Dune Road by Jane Green-8/2 (341 pgs)

4. Quiz Me? – Do the Goodreads Trivia Quiz and Read the First Book You Come to but Haven’t Yet Read.
The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger-7/29 (537 pgs)

5. Current Events – Read A Book That In Someway Relates To Current/Recent Events/Topics From The News And Read A Newspaper Or Magazine Article Related To The Same Topic.
• The Book Itself Does Not Have To Be Set In Current Times…I.E. They Say History Repeats Itself So A Historical Fiction Book With A Subject That Is Relatable To A Current Event Is Acceptable.
Crazy Love by Leslie Morgan Steiner-6/16 (322 pgs)

6. Opposites Attract – Read 2 Books That Have Words in the Titles That Have Opposite Meanings – i.e. If You Selected the Pair Up/Down You Could Read – Seven Up AND Don't Look Down.
The Angels of Morgan Hill by Donna VanLiere-8/16 (228 pgs)
Devil in the Details:Scenes from an Obsessive Girlhood-8/20 (242 pgs)

7. Popularity Contest…
• Read One Book From The All Time Most Popular Books
• And One From The All Time Most Unpopular Books On Goodreads Shelf
PopularThe Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls-7/22 (288 pgs)
UnpopularThe Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler-6/11 (250 pgs)

8. Friendly Suggestions…
• Read A 5 Star Book From The Book List Of The First Friend You Made On Good Reads
• And A Book They Gave 1 Star Or Their Lowest Rating To (But Not An Unread Book).
• If Your First Friend Does Not Have Any Books Listed On Goodreads Then You May Go To The Next Person On The List.
My first friend hardly ever updates her reads and everything on there I have already read, so I had to use the next friend: Megan
5 Star book: Cloud Nine by Luanne Rice-7/10 (331 pgs)
1 Star book: Prozac Nation by Elizabeth Wurtzel-7/16 (311 pgs)

9. What’s In a Name? – Read 2 Books Written By 2 Different Authors Who Share Either A First Or Last Name.
The Neighbor by Lisa Gardner-6/19 (369 pgs)
Still Alice by Lisa Genova-7/13 (292 pgs)

10. Initial Thoughts - Read 2 Books Where the First Letter of the First Word In The Titles Matches Your Initials.
A:April and Oliver by Tess Callahan-6/14 (326 pgs)
F:Finding Me by Darnella Ford-6/2 (280 pgs)

message 4: by Angela (last edited Aug 30, 2009 02:44PM) (new)

Angela | 1934 comments 20 Points
1. MOST IMPROVED PLAYER - Rhiannon's Task – Choose and Read a Book by an Author That Shares the Same Birthday as you. Month and Date.
Star by Pamela Anderson-7/26 (406 pgs)

2. ROOKIE OF THE SEASON - Tina's Task – June 6 is the Anniversary of D-Day - Read a Book that Takes Place During WWII.
Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum-7/18 (482 pgs)
25 Points

1. Jessica IL’s Task – Paying Homage - Read A Classic Novel Or Play And Then Read A Modern Novel That Reinterprets That Story Or The Characters In It.
The Great Gatsby by Scott Fitzgerald-7/17 (180 pgs)
The Double Bind by Chris Bohjalian-7/12 (384 pgs)

2. Ashley ID's Task - Read a Dystopian novel...for this task you would read a book about a dystopian/totalitarian government; or a novel where the government creates a dystopian society.
Uglies by Scott Westerfeld-7/3 (425 pgs)

3. Cait's Task - In honor of our Mod Squad, read 2 books - one from Lori's (the TNBBC Mod's) shelf and one from Cynthia (the Seasonal Challenge Mod's) shelf - by an author you've never read before. The book can be on their TBR or Read shelves.
Lori= You're Not You by Michelle Wildgen-6/27 (274 pgs)
Cynthia=Scot On The Rocks: How I Survived My Ex-Boyfriend's Wedding With My Dignity Ever-So Slightly Intact by Brenda Janowitz-6/15 (293 pgs)

4. Amy MA's Task - The Birthstones for June, July and August are Pearl, Ruby and Peridot. Read a Book Where One of These Stones is Named in the Title or is Part of the Author's Name.
Ruby Among Us by Tina Ann Forkner-7/14 (318 pgs)

5. Beth MN's Task - Read two books (no audio) from the adult genre of your choice (no YA or children's fiction) with over 555 pages each.
Holly's Inbox by Holly Denham-7/13 (665 pgs)
True Evil by Greg Iles-8/24 (637)

6. Sharon's Task - Edinburgh International Festival - In honor of this annual summer festival that's held in the capital city of the country where Sharon lives...Read a Fiction or Non-Fiction book that takes place in or is about the capital city of the country you live in. If you are a US resident you can read a book that takes place in or is about the State Capital of the state you currently live in or the U.S. Capital Washington D.C..
Invitation to a Murder: 48 Hours] by Gail A Zimmerman-7/15 (336 pgs)

7. Bonnie's Task - Read a Book with 900+ pages.

8. Angela IL's Task - Read 2 Books by 2 Different Goodreads Authors.
Names My Sisters Call Me by Megan Crane-6/24 (318 pgs)
Columbine by Dave Cullen-6/29 (360 pgs)

9. April's Task - Reading Through The Ages: Read a book first published in the 1800s, a book first published in the 1900s, and a book first published in the 2000s
1800's:The Awakening by Kate Chopin-8/17 (221 pgs)
1900's: Midwives by Chris Bohjalian-6/5 (370 pgs)
2000's: Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella-7/24 (485 pgs)

10. Kristina GA's Task - Read A Book About A Secret Society And Post A Little Review About It. It Could Be Fiction Or Non-Fiction.
Under the Rose: An Ivy League Novel by Diana Peterfreund-8/26 (352 pgs)

30 Point Tasks
1. Donna Jo's Task - Read A Biographical Fiction Book & An Autobiography/Biography About That Person.
Blonde by Joyce Carol Oates-8/12 (738 pgs)
The Many Lives of Marilyn Monroe by Sarah Churchwell-8/30 (338 pgs)

2. Sandy's Task – In Honor of Lucille Ball's B-Day (Aug 6, 1911) and My Favorite TV Show I Love Lucy Read Two Books with Main Characters Whose Names are Lucy, Ricky, Fred or Ethel, or A Variation Of Any Of Those Names. Both Books Can Have The Same Name Or It Can Be Different.
LucieThe Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs-6/22 (345 pgs)
LucyKnitting Under the Influence by Claire LaZebnik-8/14 (397 pgs)

3. Wendy's Task - Summer Peace Accord- Read 2 Books…
• One Book With A Positive Muslim, Islamic, Or Arabic Protagonist
• And One Book with a Positive Jewish, Israeli or Zionist Character.

4. BJ Rose’s Task - In Honor Of U.S. Independence Day - Read A Biography (Not An Autobiography) Of A U.S. President Who Either Was Born Or Who Died During Summer. The book must be at least 300 pages.
• Born In Summer - Barack Hussein Obama
Obama: From Promise to Power] by David Mendell-6/16 (387 pgs)

5. Kristen IL's Task - In Celebration of Young Adult Librarians Everywhere…Read Three YA Books.
Love You Hate You Miss You by Elizabeth Scott-6/26 (276 pgs)
Just Listen By Sarah Dessen-7/20 (371 pgs)
Pretties by Scott Westerfeld-7/21 (370 pgs)

6. Bridgit’s Task - Read a Compilation of Short Stories or Essays...it can't be a book with a collection of short stories all written by the same author. Then Choose One Of The Authors Included In The Compilation That You Have NEVER Read Before, And Read A Stand-Alone Book Of Theirs. (Not another Short Story).
Everything I Needed to Know about Being a Girl I Learned from Judy Blume by Jennifer O'Connell (Editor), Meg Cabot, Megan McCafferty, Melissa Senate, Diana Peterfreund-6/7 (275 pgs)
Secret Society Girl: An Ivy League Novel by Diana Peterfreund-6/10 (291 pgs)

7. Kristenr’s Task – Read a Book First Published the Year Your Father Was Born, and a Book First Published the Year You Were Born.

8. Leora’s Task – Pick and Read 2 Books From The '1001 Books To Read Before You Die' List. http://www.listology.com/list/1001-books...
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou-7/8 (281 pgs)
The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides-7/8 (249 pgs)

9. Lizzi’s Task – Judge a Book by Its Cover. Select a Book Only Because You Love the Cover, And Post a Picture or a Link So We Can See the Cover When You're Finished.
Little Lamb Lost by Margaret Fenton-6/24 (254 pgs)

10. Rora’s Task – Read A Nominee Or Winner Of The Mythopoeic Fantasy Award From 1971-1991. http://www.mythsoc.org/awards/fantasy/
Only Begotten Daughter by James Morrow-8/2 (312 pgs)

50 Point Mid-Way Task
1. ROSEANN'S TASK - Read a "Book About Books" (non-fiction) and then read one of the books mentioned within it (fiction). In your post, give the reason you chose the second book and if your opinion matches that of the author who mentioned the fiction book.
So Many Books, So Little Time: A Year of Passionate Reading by Sara Nelson-7/31 (242 pgs)
Tuesdays with Morrie: An Old Man, a Young Man, and Life's Greatest Lesson by Mitch Albom-8/12 (192 pgs)

Update: 8/30/09
Tasks: 45/53
Books Completed: 63/73
Pages Read: 20,945

Cynthia (PandoraPhoebesMom) | 1830 comments Angela wrote: "OMG!!! Cynthia, I am so excited to see this!!! I hope I did not push you to send it early (I would feel awful)... :(
What can I say!! I live for these darn challenges :) "
No not really I had pretty much everything set - I had to make a few adjustments yesterday based on the 25 point challenges I received...I was just trying to wait until I got as many of the 25 pointers as possible.

Adrienne Teague (ateague) | 406 comments Yay! I'm excited to get started picking out my books!

April (booksandwine) | 954 comments I'm so pumped!! Cynthia you rock for posting this so early!!

Wendy | 246 comments Great job and thank you, Cynthia

Angela | 1934 comments I think it is great that you gave it to us early, but as a present to you, we can hold off asking questions about the task until after Monday.
Thanks Cynthia!!!

Julia (bambbles) | 69 comments Oh! I am so happy I stumbled upon this when I did! Just in time for a new challenge! This looks like so much fun!!

message 11: by Jen B (last edited Jul 27, 2009 11:35AM) (new)

Jen B (jennybee618) Thanks again, Cynthia -- this challenge looks like a lot of fun!

My goal isn't so much about points this time around...it's just to read a large part of my TBR stack (some of these have literally been there for YEARS) and enjoy what I read!

5 Point Tasks
1. Andy Griffith: Barefoot - Elin Hilderbrand
2. Twyla Tharp: Dancing Girls - Margaret Atwood
4. Going to the Chapel: Visions in White - Nora Roberts
5. Farmer's Market: James and the Giant Peach - Roald Dahl (07/08/09)
6. Christmas/winter book: A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens
7. Hidden Gems: When You Wish - Kristin Harmel (39 Ratings)(06/14/09)

10 Point Tasks
1. Wolfgang Puck: Deep Dish - Mary Kay Andrews (07/27/09)
2. Shelley's Lifetime: Pride & Prejudice - Jane Austen
3. Fairytale re-told: Ella Enchanted - Gail Carson Levine (06/02/09)
5. Bastille Day: Queen of Babble - Meg Cabot (07/01/09)
6. Hiroshima: Real World - Natsuo Kirino (07/27/09)

15 Point Tasks
1. Dream Vacation: Twenties Girl - Sophie Kinsella
2. Casting Call: Watermelon - Marian Keyes (06/18/09)
3. The Great Outdoors: English As A Second Language - Megan Crane
4. Quiz Me: Even Cowgirls Get the Blues - Tom Robbins
8. Friendly Suggestions: Dixieland Sushi - Kara Lockwood (5 stars)(06/10/09) | Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - JK Rowling (2 stars)

25 Point Tasks
1. Jessica IL's Task: The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald (06/10/09) | The Double Bind - Chris Bojalian (Currently Reading)
2. Ashley ID's Task: 1984 - George Orwell
3. Cait's Task: Rosie Dunne - Cecelia Ahern (Cynthia) (07/04/09) | The Thirteenth Tale - Diane Setterfield (Lori)
4. AmyMA's Task: The Boyfriend List: 15 guys, 11 shrink appointments, 4 ceramic frogs, and me, Ruby Oliver - E Lockhart (06/05/09)
5. Beth MN's Task: American Wife - Curtis Sittenfeld (555 pages) | Holly's Inbox - Holly Denham (672 pages) (07/26/09)
8. Angela's Task: Mating Rituals of the North American WASP - Lauren Lipton (Currently Reading) | The Art of Racing in the Rain - Garth Stein
9. April's Task: Grimm's Fairy Tales (1812) | The Kitchen God's Wife - Amy Tan (1991) | The Finishing Touches - Hester Browne (2009) (07/14/09)
10. Kristina GA's Task: Wintergirls - Laurie Halse Anderson (07/06/09)

30 Point Tasks
3. Wendy's Task: A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini (Muslim) | Diary of a Young Girl - Anne Frank (Jewish)
5. Kristen IL's Task: Secrets of My Hollywood Life - Jen Calonita (07/13/09) | Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret - Judy Blume (07/14/09) | The Lightning Thief - Rick Riordan (07/20/09)
8. Leora's Task: Breakfast At Tiffany's - Truman Capote | Remains of the Day - Kazuo Ishiguro
9. Lizzi's Task: Don't You Forget About Me - Jancee Dunn (06/25/09)

Total Points: 175/940
Total Books Read: 18/71

[image error]

Kristen Eeegads! This is early! I'm so excited. I know what I'll be doing for the next hour....

Cait (caitertot) Thank you, Cynthia!

Joy Marie (JoyMarie) Holy Cow....I'm so glad I'm off tomorrow because I'm going to be up all night! Hooray!!!!

Avory (judithavory) | 251 comments I just had to seriously restrain myself from getting out of my computer chair and doing a dance ;-) So many challenges! It'll be a fun summer.

message 16: by Donna Jo (last edited May 24, 2009 04:06PM) (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 207 comments Cynthia, what inspired choices. I am looking forward to starting to read June 1. Have a couple new library books I will hold off starting until then. So far, I am contemplating the following.

5.1 One of the books by Philip Gulley
5.7 I think Dell Shannon has a few on the list, so I'll choose one of those.
5.10 The Hornet's Nest by Jimmy Carter (The Revolutionary War in the South)
10.1 Diane Mott Davidson's new one
10.2 Rob Roy by Sir Walter Scott
10.3 Deerskin by Robin McKinley
10.6 Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golding
10.7 Daughter of the Eagle by Don Coldsmith (Vol. 6 of the Spanish Bit series)
10.9 The Soul of Baseball: A Road Trip Through Buck O'Neill's America by Joe Posnanski (This will be a reread for me, but I highly recommend it).
15.3 The Winter Vault by Anne Michaels
15.4 Born Standing Up by Bill Cosby
15.9 The Well-Dressed Ape by Hannah Holmes
Had to change second one, so will choose it later
15.10 Doomsday Book for Donna
Axe of Iron: The Settlers for Atwood
25.3 Dragon Sword by Mark London Williams
Kissing Vanessa by Simon Cheshire
25.6 Rebecca by Daphne DuMaurier
Love in a Cold Climate by Nancy Mitford

Avory (judithavory) | 251 comments If anyone in the US wants to tackle My Life (Bill Clinton's autobiography) for 25.3, I'm trying to get rid of books as I move and I'd be happy to send you my (paperback) copy. Just let me know.

message 18: by Lisa Julianna (last edited May 23, 2009 09:06PM) (new)

Lisa Julianna (LisaJulianna) | 1053 comments Thank you Cynthia for getting this together. :~)
I decided for this challenge I am only using the books I have on my shelves. No buying and No Library!
Need to get my TBR shelf lowered.

THE TASKS

5 Points
Dead Until Dark

• A Dance Term I.E. Pirouette, Arabesque, Plie Etc.
• Or A Specific Type of Dance in the Title I.E. Ballet, Tap, Tango Etc.

4. Going To The Chapel And They’re Gonna Get Married –
Bitten & Smitten

5. Tasty Treat’s straight From the Farmer’s Market
Blueberry Muffin Murder

6. Christmas In July
Vissions of Sugar Plums

7. Discover Hidden Gems - From Your Favorite Genre…Find And Read A Book That Has Less Than 50 Ratings On Goodreads. If You Select
Young Joan

8. Let’s Hit The Beach – Read a book with one of these “Beachy” words in the title – Beach, Boardwalk, Island, Ocean, Sand, Sandcastle, Sea, Seashell, Seaweed, Shell, Starfish, Tide, or Wave.
Under the Boardwalk

9. This Day in History
The PMS Murder

10 Points
1. Wolfgang Puck – Famous Chef – Born July 8, 1949
Living Dead in Dallas

3. Hans Christian Anderson – Died August 4, 1875 –
Beauty

4. Day Of The African Child - June 16th -
The Poisonwood Bible

7. June, July, August Are The 6/7/and 8th Months in the Year –
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

8. Our House In The Middle Of Our…(Street, Drive, Court, Lane Etc.).
16 Lighthouse Road

10. Dog Days Of Summer –
Duplicity Dogged The Dachshund

15 Points

1. Dream Vacation – Read A Fiction Book That Takes Place In Or A Non-Fiction Book About Your Dream Vacation Spot (It Should Be A Specific Location I.E. Not Just the Beach or Mountains but Hawaii or the Swiss Alps Etc.) – When Finished Reading Create And Post An Itinerary Of Things You Would Do If You Were To Visit That Location.

2. Casting Call –
Vampire Academy

3. It’s Summer So It’s Time To Enjoy The Great Outdoors -
That Summer

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

7. Popularity Contest…
• Read One Book From The All Time Most Popular Books On Goodreads.
• And One From The All Time Most Unpopular Books On Goodreads Shelf.
Harry Potter and The Order of the Pheonix and Sex and the City

8. Friendly Suggestions…
• And A Book They Gave 1 Star Or Their Lowest Rating To (But Not An Unread Book).
off from Kellie's shelves: The Book Thief (5 stars) and Love in the time of Chlorea (1 star)

9. What’s In a Name? –
Mary Higgins Clark-A Cry in the Night and Mary Janice Davidson- Undead and Unwed

10. Initial Thoughts -
L-Lawless
J-?

20 Points

1. MOST IMPROVED PLAYER – PENDING
2. ROOKIE OF THE SEASON – PENDING

25 Points

3. Kristen IL's Task - In Celebration of Young Adult Librarians Everywhere…Read Three YA Books.
Breaking Dawn, Sloppy Firsts, and A Wrinkle in Time

4. Bridgit’s Task - Read a Compilation of Short Stories or Essays...
short stories- Stroke of Midnight. Stand alone book- Fantasy Lover

6. Leora’s Task – Pick and Read 2 Books From The '1001 Books To Read Before You Die.
To Kill a Mockingbird and....

7. Lizzi’s Task – Judge a Book by Its Cover.
Summer in The City

8. Rora’s Task – Read A Nominee Or Winner Of The Mythopoeic Fantasy Award From 1971-1991.
Watership Down

30 Points

2. Sandy's Task – PENDING

50 Point Mid-Way Task
1. PENDING

Avory (judithavory) | 251 comments Also - anyone know what biographical fiction is? Donna Jo? My guess is that it would be a fictional book about a historical figure but I could be wrong.

message 20: by April (last edited Aug 30, 2009 07:13PM) (new)

April (booksandwine) | 954 comments 5 Points
1. Dead to the World by Charlaine Harris - takes place in a small town in Louisiana
2. Wildwood Dancing by Juliette Marillier
3. Come Sing, Jimmy Jo by Katherine Paterson
4. Plum Lovin' by Janet Evanovich
5. The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros
6. The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror by Christopher Moore
7. Breaking Rank by Kristen D. Randle - currently 37 ratings
8. Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan
9. One For The Money by Janet Evanovich
10. Time Enough For Drums by Ann Rinaldi (Revolutionary War/War for Independance)

10 Points
1. Dead as a Doornail by Charlaine Harris (Sookie Stackhouse is a Waitress)
2. North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell
3. Beauty by Robin McKinley
4. The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith
5. Sarah's Key by Tatiana De Rosnay
6. Across The Nightingale Floor by Lian Hearn
7. Definately Dead by Charlaine Harris - 6th book in Sookie Stackhouse
8. The Road by Cormac McCarthy
9. Shoeless Joe by W.P. Kinsella
10. Marley & Me: Life And Love With The World's Worst Dog

15 Points
1. The Red Necklace by Sally Gardner
2. The History of Love by Nicole Kraus (in-production but no casting information on IMDB) let me know if I can use this

3. Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones
4. Twelfth Night by Shakesphere
5. Swine Flu/pandemic - Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks - relates to plague pandemic
6. The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale and Feather Boy by Nicky Singer

7. Popularity Contest…
Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
Unpopular - TBA
8. my first friend was a friend from home: Carolyn, and out of her 5-stars I choose: Two for the Dough by Janet Evanovich
Lowest: Of Mice and Men

9. Jane Austen - Sense and Sensibility; Jane Hamilton- A Map of the World
10. AC - All Together Dead and Club Dead by Charlaine Harris

20 Points
1. July 5th, Rowan Hood by Nancy Springer
2. Corelli's Mandolin

25 Points
1. The Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum and Wicked by Gregory Maguire
2. Anthem by Ayn Rand

3. From Cynthia's shelf: Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte -- From Lori's shelf: Midnight In The Garden of Good and Evil
4. The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck
5. The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss and A Fine Balance
6. Ironweed by William Kennedy - set in Albany, NY
7. The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas
8. Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen and The Alchemist by Paulo Coehlo
9. A Study In Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle, Summer of the Monkeys by Wilson Rawls and The Lightning Thief by Rick Riodan

10. The Secret History by Donna Tartt

30 Point Tasks
1.. I, Elizabeth: A Novel by Rosalind Miles & The Life of Elizabeth the I by Allison Weir
2. Vilette by Charlotte Bronte and Mates, Dates, and Inflatable Bras by Cathy Hopkins
3. Does My Head Look Big In This by Randa Abdel-Fattah & The Chosen by Chaim Potek
4. John Adams by David McCullough
5. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins; Madapple by Christina Meldrum; Keeping Corner by Kashmira Sheth
6. The Living Dead collection - there is a short story by Neil Gaiman who I have yet to read and Stardust
7. 1956 - The Last Battle by C.S. Lewis 1987 - The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King
8. A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy O'Toole and The Hours by Micheal Cunningham
9. Summer at Tiffany by Marjorie Hart because I think Tiffany's is beautiful and I love all of my Tiffany's&Co jewelry, so the Tiffany blue makes me really happy!!
10. The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley

50 Point Mid-Way Task
1. Book Crush by Nancy Pearl and Sunshine by Robin McKinley

[image error]

Tasks Completed: 38
Books Read: 52
Pages Read: 15,891

April (booksandwine) | 954 comments Judith, Biographical fiction is pretty much taking a historical figure and writing a fictional story about their life, i.e. those historical fiction books by Phillipa Gregory

Jessica (Sureshot26) | 94 comments Cynthia, I just messaged my task to you. What an awesome list of new challenges - I'm already eying my shelves trying to figure out which ones in my TBR stack will work!

Angela | 1934 comments Okay... must peel myself away from the computer so that I can finish the spring challenge!!!
I found a few...so I will save the rest for when I am bored at work tomorrow.

Morgan P | 173 comments Quick question: In everyone's opinion, are there any modern day events that relate to the book Lolita? I really want to fit it into the challenge, but I'm not sure how.

April (booksandwine) | 954 comments Pedophilia? that's an issue we are always dealing with unfortunately

Morgan P | 173 comments Yeah. It would probably be pretty easy to find an article on...

Leora Yay! This is going to be so much fun!

Susan Storz Yay! I've been stalking the board for days waiting for the challenge to post! Now to find some books to fit!

Tanya D (Mtlbookworm) | 188 comments Yay! My first ever challenge! I really don't think I'll be able to complete the whole thing but I'll definitely give it a try. :)

Thank you so much for posting the challenge so early- I've got many hours of sorting through books to look forward to, and the entire weekend off. This is going to be FUN!

message 32: by Petra (last edited Aug 13, 2009 09:59AM) (new)

Petra Here's my list so far.
5.1 Winesburg, Ohio 09/06
5.2 Wildwood Dancing
5.3 Jaco The Extraordinary and the Tragic Life of Jaco Pastorius, "the World's Greatest Bass Player"
5.4 Doukhobor Daze 25/06
5.5 Plum Spooky 05/06
5.6 The Christmas Box
5.7 The Root Worker
5.8 The Wild Sargasso Sea
5.9 Mr. Monk Goes To Germany
5.10 The Girl in the Glass A Novel

10.1 Seeing Me Naked
10.2 The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner (James Hogg 1770-1835)
10.3 Midnight Pearls A Retelling of "The Little Mermaid"
10.4 The Full Cupboard of Life
10.5 The Diving Bell And The Butterfly
10.6 Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto 20/07
10.7 In the Company of Cheerful Ladies 18/06
10.8 Dropsie Avenue
10.9 Summerland
10.10 The Bad Dog's Diary A Year in the Life of Blake Lover... Fighter... Dog or DOG by Michelle Herman

15.1 Murder in the Place of Anubis
15.3 Ella Minnow Pea 02/06
15.4 Paradise Lost
15.6 The Woman in White (07/06) & Black Like Me 29/06
15.7 Popular/Unpopular (check list before beginning book)
15.8 (5*)The Good Earth;(1*)Middlesex
15.9 Mirror of Danger by Pamela Sykes & The Seven Daughters of Eve by Bryan Sykes
15.10 (PB)The Poet & The Brimstone Wedding

20.1 (Mar 15) Author: Lawrence Sanders Book: The Tomorrow File
20.2 The Boy In The Striped Pajamas

25.1 Beowulf 11/07 and Grendel 13/07
25.2 The Giver
25.3 A Map of Home(Cynthia) & Asylum (Lori)
25.4 Ruby: A Novel
25.5 The Story of Edgar Sawtelle: A Novel (575 pgs) & Wind-Up Bird Chronicle (607 pgs)
25.6 Vampires of Ottawa 10/06
25.7 Lonesome Dove (945 pgs) 03/07
25.8 The Graveyard Book & One If By Heaven Two If By Hell14/07
25.9 The Kreutzer Sonata by Leo Tolstoy(1890), Millroy The Magician (1996) & The White Tiger (2008)
25.10 New Moon

30.1 The Poe Shadow: A Novel & Midnight Dreary
30.2 Sleeping with the Fishes (Fred) & Ethel The Fictional Autobiography (Ethel)
30.3 Train to Pakistan (Muslim) & Portnoy's Complaint (Jewish)
30.4 Thomas Jefferson: A Life
30.5 Twilight 27/06, Where The Red Fern Grows 05/07 & Pippi Longstocking 18/06
30.6 Great Russian Short Stories & Eugene Onegin by Alexander Pushkin
30.7 Anthem (1938) 01/07 & A Case Of Conscience(1958)
30.8 The Turn of the Screw & Chocky
30.9 In The Time of The Butterflies
30.10 Fool on the Hill (1990)

50.1 So Many Books, So Little Time 18/07 & One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich

Beth F. (quietknitter) | 342 comments Cynthia, you freakin' ROCK!

message 34: by Ashley (last edited May 22, 2009 09:35PM) (new)

Ashley (Affie) | 371 comments Yay! This is an exciting challenge! There are a lot of books here that are going to make me branch out!

message 35: by Alisha Marie (last edited May 22, 2009 09:39PM) (new)

Alisha Marie (endlesswonderofreading) | 715 comments Hey, April, if you're looking for something for task 10.9, how about The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon by Stephen King?

message 36: by Slayermel (last edited Jun 20, 2009 07:15PM) (new)

Slayermel | 44 comments 5.1 (Bon Temps)Dead Until Dark By Charlaine Harris
5.2 Charleston By Alexandra Ripley
5.3 Journals By Kurt Cobain
5.4 Joining by Johanna Lindsey
5.5 The Mulberry Tree
5.6 Montana Miracle
5.7 (1 Rating)The Engagement By Suzanne Robinson
5.8 The Shell Seekers
5.9 T is for Trespass
5.10 ?

10.1 (waitress)-Living Dead in Dallas By Charlaine Harris
10.2 Persuasion By Jane Austen
10.3 Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister
10.4 African Nights True Stories from the Author of I Dreamed of Africa
10.5 The Count of Monte Cristo
10.6 Geisha A Life
10.7 series 6th-The Killing Dance
10.8 The Road Less Traveled
10.9 The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon
10.10 Marley & Me Love and Life with the World's Worst Dog

15.1 Chicken Soup from the Soul of Hawaii Stories of Aloha to Create Paradise Wherever You Are
15.2 Bloody Bones (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #5)
15.3 Club Dead
15.4 The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
15.5 ?
15.6 (Hot/Cold)Hot Ice & Cold Mountain
15.7 popular-To Kill a Mockingbird / unpopular-Trading Up
15.8 (Tara) 5*-The Drawing of the Three /2*-When We Were Gods A Novel of Cleopatra
15.9 ?
15.10 (M.L) Marked / The Lunatic Cafe (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #4)

20.1 (OCT 16,1854 Oscar Wilde)The Picture of Dorian Gray
20.2 Atonement By Ian McEwan

25.1 ?
25.2 The Giver By Lois Lowry
25.3 (Lori)Bloodsucking Fiends /(Cynthia)Garden Spells
25.4 Midnight Pearls A Retelling of "The Little Mermaid"
25.5 (740pg)The Hour I First Believed By Wally Lamb/(696pg)Fall on Your Knees By Ann-Marie MacDonald
25.6 ?
25.7 Gone With The Wind
25.8 Embrace the Night / Ladies of Legend Finding Home
25.9 1814-Mansfield Park/1997-Kingdom Come/2007-City of Bones
25.10 Fight Club a Novel

30.1 (Bio-Fic) The Other Queen A Novel & (Bio) Mary Queen of Scots
30.2 Richie-It / Lucy-The Chronicles of Narnia
30.3 ? / The Red Tent
30.4 ?
30.5 Betrayed / Chosen / Untamed
30.6 ?
30.7 1957-From Russia With Love / 1977-The Shining
30.8 ? / #922-The Hunchback of Notre-Dame By Victor Hugo
30.9 Ink Exchange Ink Exchange (Wicked Lovely, #2) by Melissa Marr
30.10 1975 Nominee-Watership Down

50.1 ?

Points=70

Lisa Julianna (LisaJulianna) | 1053 comments I have two questions.
1. For task 5.8 "Lets Hit the Beach" Can I read a book with the word Boardwalk in it?

and second question for task 10.3 "Hans Christian Anderson" may I read Beauty by Robin McKinley?

Ashley (Affie) | 371 comments Lisa J- Beauty is a retelling, or adaptation of a fairy tale, so according to the task, that should be fine.

message 39: by Beth F. (last edited May 22, 2009 10:40PM) (new)

Beth F. (quietknitter) | 342 comments I know I have very little chance at completing this challenge--it's already HUGE and not all the tasks are even up yet (!) so I know I can afford to be picky and skip tasks that don't appeal to me.

BUT...that doesn't mean I don't want to at least fill in the slot with a possibility for each of the tasks and so far I've got some initial ideas for all of them except the baseball task. So if anybody finds a likely candidate, please share! :)

Lisa Julianna (LisaJulianna) | 1053 comments Thanks Ashley....also can anyone think of a book witht he title that starts with J?

Ashley (Affie) | 371 comments Lisa J- Some of these are YA (probably most...), some are adult, and some I haven't read yet, but these are the ones on my read, or tbr shelf. The ones with an * are ones I have read and recommend. There are a lot that I haven't read though.

Jane Eyre
Jackaroo- A Novel of the Kingdom(Love it!)*
Jacob Have I Loved *
Jack the Giant Killer
Jennifer, Hecate, Macbath, William McKinley, and Me, Elizabeth *
Johnny Tremain
The Journey Back
Journey Outside
Journey to the Center of the Earth
The Joy Luck Club
The Jazz Man
Julie of the Wolves *
Jude the Obscure
Julius- Daphne du Marier
Just Ella *
The Jungle Book
Justin Morgan Had a Horse
The Jumping Off Place
Jessica Z.

Hope any of these help!!

Joy Marie (JoyMarie) I'm with you on that book that starts with J. I've looked all over my TBR shelves and am coming up with nothting.

message 43: by Roseann (last edited Jul 12, 2009 01:09AM) (new)

Roseann | 392 comments SUMMER CHALLENGE 2009

5 POINT CHALLENGES

1. Ashihara, Hinako--SAND CHRONICLES VOL. 1--COMPLETED!!--
2. Hillerman, Tony--DANCE HALL OF THE DEAD--COMPLETED!!--
3. Pincus, Andrew L--MUSICIANS WITH A MISSION-KEEPING THE CLASSICAL TRADITION ALIVE--COMPLETED!!--
4. Davidson, Mary Janice--UNDEAD & UNEASY--COMPLETED!!--
5. Brenner, Marie--APPLES & ORANGES:MY BROTHER & ME, LOST & FOUND--COMPLETED!!--
6. Challinor, C.S.--CHRISTMAS IS MURDER--COMPLETED!!--
7. Aldiss, Brian--WHITE MARS (2 Ratings)--COMPLETED!!--
8. Lencik & Bosker (eds.)--BEACH:STORIES BY THE SAND AND SEA--COMPLETED!!--
9. Adamson, Lydia--A CAT ON STAGE LEFT--COMPLETED!!--
10. Kingsbury, Karen--ONE TUESDAY MORNING (9/11)--COMPLETED!!--

10 POINT CHALLENGES

1. Davidson, Diane Mott--DARK TORT--COMPLETED!!--
2. Hawthorne, Nathaniel--HOUSE OF THE SEVEN GABLES (b1804-d.1864)-COMPLETED!!--
3. Wilde, Oscar--THE FAIRY TALES OF OSCAR WILDE--COMPLETED!!--
4. Achebe, Chinua--THINGS FALL APART--COMPLETED!!--
5. Camus, Albert--THE FALL--COMPLETED!!--
6. Kirino, Natsuo--REAL WORLD--COMPLETED!!--
7. Card, Orson Scott--SEVENTH SON--COMPLETED!!--
8. Shreve, Porter--DRIVES LIKE A DREAM--COMPLETED!!--
9. Harris, Mark--BANG THE DRUM SLOWLY--COMPLETED!!--
10. Herman, Michelle--DOG--COMPLETED!!--

15 POINT CHALLENGES

1. Collins, Paul--SIXPENSE HOUSE (Loc: Hay-On-Wye)--COMPLETED!!--
2. Hess, Joan--DAMSELS IN DISTRES--NOTE:CAST--COMPLETED!!--
3. Kress, Nancy--BEGGARS IN SPAIN--COMPLETED!!--
4. Hurston, Zora Neale--THEIR EYES WERE WATCHING GOD--COMPLETE!--
5. Ablow, Keith--INSIDE THE MIND OF SCOTT PETERSON-ALSO READ ARTICLE--COMPLETED!!--
6. Downey, Annie--HOT AND BOTHERED & Dobson, Joanne--COLD AND PURE
AND VERY DEAD---HOT/COLD--COMPLETED!!--
7. Silverstein, Shell--WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS & Bushnell, Candace--FOUR
BLONDES--COMPLETED!!--
8. Dahl, Roald--THE WITCHES & Salinger, J.D.--CATCHER IN THE RYE-Candace--COMPLETED!!--
9. Powell, Julie--JULIE & JULIA:MY YEAR OF COOKING DANGEROUSLY &
Ellis, Julie--THE LONG WEEKEND--COMPLETED!!--
10. Camilleri, Andreaa--ROUNDING THE MARK & Doumham, Jennu--BEFORE I DIE My initials are RB.--COMPLETED!!--

20 POINT CHALLENGES

1. Willis, Connie (12/31/45)--MIRACLE, AND OTHER CHRISTMAS STOIRES--COMPLETED!!--
2. Fast, Howard--THE BRIDGEBUILDER’S STORY:A NOVEL-COMPLETED!!--

25 POINT CHALLENGES

1 Alcott, Louisa May--LITTLE WOMEN & Brooks, Geraldine--MARCH--COMPLETED!!--
2. James, P.D.--CHILDREN OF MEN--COMPLETED!!--
3. Cynthia’s--Letts, Billie--THE HONK & HOLLER OPENING SOON &
Lori’s--Hegland, Jean--INTO THE FOREST--COMPLETED!!--
4. Brown, Rita Mae--RUBYFRUIT JUNGLE--COMPLETED!!--
5. Heinlein, Robert--TIME ENOUGH FOR LOVE & Brin, David--GLORY SEASON --COMPLETED!!--
6. Bly, Stephen--THE LAST SWAN IN SACRAMENTO (CA’s Capital)-COMPLETED!!-
7. Mitchell, Margaret--GONE WITH THE WIND--COMPLETED!!--
8. Gaiman, Neil--STARDUST & Coelho, Pauolo--THE ALCHEMEST--COMPLETED!--
9. Austin, Jane--PERSUASION (1817), Burroughs, Willaim--NAKED LUNCH (1959), Highmore, Julie--PURE FICTION (2003)--COMPLETED!!--
10. Robbins, Alexandra--SECRETS OF THE TOMB--COMPLETED!!--

30 POINT CHALLENGE

1. Kaminsky, Stuart--SMART MOVES (Einstein) and Brian, Denis--THE UNEXPECTED EINSTEIN--COMPLETED!!--
2. Cather, Willa--LUCY GAYHEART & Kent, Alexander--MIDSHIPMAN BOLITHO (RICHARD)--COMPLETED!!--
3. Buckley, Christopher--FLORENCE OF ARABIA & Lester, Julius--AN AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF GOD--COMPLETED!!--
4. Meacham, Jon--AMERICAN LION--COMPLETED!!--
5. Hunter, Erin--WARRIORS: BOOKS 1-3--COMPLETED!!--
6. Morrow, James--Nebula Awards 27 & Kelly, James Patrick--BURN--COMPLETED!!-
7. Sandburg, Carl--ROOTABAGA STORIES (1922) & White, James--HOSPITAL
STATION (1962)--COMPLETED!!--
8. Eugenidies, Jeffrey--THE VIRGIN SUICIDES & Oates, Joyce Carol--BLACK
WATER--COMPLETED!!--
9. Ellis-Bell, Nancy--THE PARROT WHO THOUGHT SHE WAS A DOG--COMPLETED!!--
10. Card, Orson Scott--RED PROPHET--COMPLETED!!--

50 POINT CHALLENGE
PENDING

Potjy | 127 comments Oooooooh!!!! Cynthia, you're keeping better every season!

Hayes (Hayes13) As always you are Brilliant!! thanks for all you do for us.

message 46: by Joy Marie (last edited May 28, 2009 06:33PM) (new)

Joy Marie (JoyMarie) The Books Listed Below are ones that I actually own(with a few marked exceptions), so I will try to knock those out first. Then I will see about other books to fill other challenges.
Here is what I have so far....

5 Points

1. Andy Griffith - Dead Until Dark
2. Twyla Tharp - Dance Through Time
3. Jerry Garcia - Heart-Shaped Box A Novel
4. Going to the Chapel - Something Borrowed
5. Tasty Treat's -
6. Christmas in July - A Game of Thrones
7. Discover Hidden Gems - Tall Skinny Cappuccino
8. Let's Hit the Beach - The Mosquito Coast
9. This Day in History - Ten Big Ones
10. U.S. Independence Day -

10 Points

1. Wolfgang Puck - I Loved, I Lost, I Made Spaghetti
2. Percy Bysshe Shelly - Mansfield Park
3. Hans Christian Anderson -
4. Day of the African Child -
5. Bastille Day -
6. Bombing of Hiroshima - Shogun
7. June, July, August -
8. Our House -
9. Take Me out to the Ball Game - Bo Knows Bo
10. Dog Days of Summer - The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

15 Points

1. Dream Vacation - Barcelona Spain - The Shadow of the Wind
2. Casting Call - The Host
3. It's Summer So - In Defense of Food An Eater's Manifesto
4. Quiz Me? - All the King's Men
5. Current Events -
6. Opposites Attract - Dark Lover(own) and Key of Light(library)
7. Popularity Contest - Water for Elephants(own) and The Mosaic Crimes (library)
8. Friendly Suggestions - Outlander (own) and The Poisonwood Bible (library)
9. What's In a Name - Second Sight and Night's Kiss Both Amanda's
10. Initial Thoughts -

20 Points

25 Points

1. Kristen IL - The Hunger Games (own) and Eragon (library) and The Graveyard Book (library)
2. Bridgit's -
3. KristenR - The Heat of the Day (library) (1949) and Song of Solomon (own)(1977)
4. Leora - The Wasp Factory A Novel #254 and Life of Pi #49
5. Lizzi - Once Bitten, Twice Shy Once Bitten, Twice Shy (Jaz Parks, #1) by Jennifer Rardin
6. Rora -
7. Jessica IL - Anna Karenina (own) and What Happened to Anna K? (library)
8. Ashley ID -
9. Cait - (Lori's)The Thirteenth Tale and (Cynthia's) Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
10. Amy MA -

30 Points

1. Donna Jo -
2. Sandy -
3. Wendy - Reading Lolita in Tehran A Memoir in Books and The Red Tent
4. BJ Rose -

50 Points

Realistic Goal: 390 Points (To significantly clear my TBR shelves :))
Super Goal: 730 Points (Would have to finish challenge....lol)

Alice (AliceG) | 254 comments This looks great! They look quite hard to choose books that fit in how have people who have already done a list found it?

A quick question. For the collection of short stories can the short stories all be by the same person and then just read a full novel by that author or does the short story collection need to be written by different authors?

Jeane | 4887 comments Cynthia wrote: "15 Points
1. Dream Vacation – Read A Fiction Book That Takes Place In Or A Non-Fiction Book About Your Dream Vacation Spot (It Should Be A Specific Location I.E. Not Just the Beach or Mountains but..."

Cynthia, you picked very original tasks!! Like the ones around a person that was born or died those dates. Very good!!!!!
Also the member's extra tasks look very interesting.

Jeane | 4887 comments Judith wrote: "If anyone in the US wants to tackle My Life (Bill Clinton's autobiography) for 25.3, I'm trying to get rid of books as I move and I'd be happy to send you my (paperback) copy. Just let me know.
"

And it is a very good and interesting book. ot mather what your political opnions are it si written very well. I loved all the history I read about in it but the ebst thing for me was ow he wrote it. I had this image of him sitting in a sofa before me, like a grandfather who always tells you stories and you love it, with that voice like a suft huggable teddybear.

Jeane | 4887 comments April wrote: "5 Points
1. Dead to the World by Charlaine Harris - takes place in a small town in Louisiana
2. Wildwood Dancing by Juliette Marillier
3. Come Sing, Jimmy Jo by Katherine Paterson
4. Rebecca b..."

April, crazy girl. You have it already all planned out and so fast!!!:-)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 135 136