What's The Name of That Book??? discussion

Adult Fiction-SOLVED > SOLVED!: Fantasy Series - shapeshifting woman [s]

Comments (showing 1-19 of 19) (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mel (new)

Mel (MelCdn) | 21 comments This was a whole series, fantasy set in non-modern setting, in which a woman discovers she is part of a race of shapeshifters. There are other races with other abilities I think and she is in trouble for some reason. I believe one of the titles in the series was something like "A Gathering of Gargoyles" and the other titles had similar "grouping" names for mythological/fantastical beings. I'm pretty sure it was not part of the DarkAngel series since there are no shapeshifters and only the one title fits.

message 2: by Miriam (new)

Miriam | 643 comments I can't find anything with a similar title other than Pierce's trilogy. Could it be C.E. Murphy's Heart Of Stone? That does have different races of shapeshifter's including gargoyles, but in a modern setting. Can you describe more about the setting? (Eg, more historical or totally made-up fantasy world?)

message 3: by April Ann (new)

April Ann (Bloomer) | 518 comments Ia it one of the "Nightworld" series? By Lisa J. Smith. Witchlight Has a female shape shifter as the main character.

message 4: by Mel (new)

Mel (MelCdn) | 21 comments Neither. Definitely fantasy old world strange place names and whatnot. The gargoyles don't shapeshift but were more like dogs I think? I also think the shapeshifters were very uncommon or perhaps (almost) extinct? However it was a long time ago...

message 5: by Miriam (new)

Miriam | 643 comments Could it be Shapeshifter's Quest by Dena Landon? That has a fantasy world where the shapeshifters are an oppressed minority that have been forced to live in the forest with a special mark on them that kills them if they leave. The main character is a girl who was hidden from birth so she doesn't have the mark and can travel to seek help when there is a mysterious sickness.

message 6: by Mel (new)

Mel (MelCdn) | 21 comments Miriam wrote: "Could it be Shapeshifter's Quest by Dena Landon? That has a fantasy world where the shapeshifters are an oppressed minority that have been forced to live in the forest with a special ..."

For a second I thought that might be it but looking at the description I don't think so.

message 7: by April Ann (last edited May 25, 2009 01:45PM) (new)

April Ann (Bloomer) | 518 comments The Queen of the Gargoyles (Bone Chillers, No 16) by Gene Hult The Queen of the Gargoyles 1997 by Gene Hult of the "Bone Chillers" series.

Gargoyles of Gaylord (Michigan Chillers) by Johnathan RandGargoyles of Gaylord 2000, by Johnathan Rand, of the "Michigan chillers" series.

[image error] Dark Dreamers by Christine Feehan, 2006. of the "Carpathians" series.

message 8: by Mel (new)

Mel (MelCdn) | 21 comments No. I should definitely add some temporal context to this. I would have read the book some time in the 80s.

This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For Was it humorous or serious?

message 10: by This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For (last edited May 25, 2009 02:22PM) (new)

This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For Shapechangers (Chronicles of the Cheysuli, Book 1) by Jennifer Roberson Shapechangers by Jennifer Roberson.

Nothing about gargoyles, but it's the first book in the Chronicles of the Cheysuli, which includes other titles such as "A Pride of Princes" and "A Tapestry of Lions"

message 11: by Mel (new)

Mel (MelCdn) | 21 comments This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For wrote: "Was it humorous or serious?"

Serious.

message 12: by Mel (new)

Mel (MelCdn) | 21 comments This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For wrote: "Shapechangers (Chronicles of the Cheysuli, Book 1) by Jennifer Roberson Shapechangers by Jennifer Roberson.

Nothing about gargoyles, but it's the first book in the Chronicles of the Cheysuli, which includ..."

Definitely not it but I really liked this series and have it on my bookshelf at home. Have reread it more than once since it first came out.

message 13: by April Ann (new)

April Ann (Bloomer) | 518 comments What about the "Witch World" series?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch_World

message 14: by This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For (last edited May 25, 2009 03:59PM) (new)

This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For You might try browsing the SciFan theme list for shapeshifting. It has 944 books, in publication order, which deal with shapeshifting in some form. The first 6 or so pages cover the time period up to 1990. Maybe you'll recognize the title if you happen to see it.

There's also a separate list for Werewolves/Lycanthrope with over 700 books (might be some overlap, but at a quick glance they're reasonably distinct).

message 15: by kvon (new)

kvon | 56 comments How about the Song of Mavin Manyshaped by Sheri Tepper?

message 16: by April Ann (last edited May 26, 2009 06:09AM) (new)

April Ann (Bloomer) | 518 comments kvon, I just found that one this morning, it sounds the closest of any that I've come across. Pub. 1985

It is AKA "Books of the True Game" series. Which also include the "Peter Trilogy" and the "Jinian Trilogy"

Summary: When recklessly headstrong Mavin Manyshaped learns to control her Talent for changing into any shape, she begins to fulfill her destiny as the most notorious shape-shifter in all the lands of the True Game.

message 17: by Mel (last edited May 26, 2009 08:13AM) (new)

Mel (MelCdn) | 21 comments kvon wrote: "How about the Song of Mavin Manyshaped by Sheri Tepper? "

Okay, I think this must be it, the protagonists name rings true, the cover seems familiar and the escape and learning to shift on her own. I think I must have somehow melded the Pierce book and this one into my mind to introduce the gargoyle theme. Wondering if Ariel makes friends with the gargoyles as if they were dogs in the Pierce one because that would confirm my suspicions. Thanks everyone.

message 18: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 1386 comments Mel, Ok, Thanks for letting us know, and kvon and everyone.

message 19: by kvon (new)

kvon | 56 comments Hooray! I'm glad that one worked.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Heart of Stone (other topics)
Witchlight (other topics)
Shapeshifter's Quest (other topics)
The Queen of the Gargoyles (other topics)
Gargoyles of Gaylord (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jennifer Roberson (other topics)