Study Buddies discussion

Monthly Book Group > June's book?

Comments (showing 1-15 of 15) (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mindy (new)

Mindy (MindyBuchanan) | 159 comments Hey all. Just wondering if we've thought about June's book yet? Am I way ahead here? : D To poll or to draw out of a hat? I say hat.

message 2: by Keelin (new)

Keelin | 96 comments omg i jus gotta suggest The Choice by Nicholas Sparks.
i dnt normally read that type of book but it was ...immense. nd soo true. hes the boy that wrote the notebook. if u dnt read for this deffinatly read it sometime.

message 3: by Gisela (new)

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 180 comments OK June is almost here and we need a book, so I say we go with the hat. It's quicker! ;)

message 4: by Mindy (new)

Mindy (MindyBuchanan) | 159 comments Yep, I'm still for the hat! : D

message 5: by Alethea (last edited May 30, 2009 11:11PM) (new)

Alethea A (frootjoos) | 480 comments Mod
Drumoroll please....

June's Book brought to you by The Hat is...

Wildwood Dancing by Juliet Marillier!

Whoever suggested this book (sorry, I forget) if you would like to lead the discussion, feel free!

And if you (whoever you may be) do not, then I will take volunteers!

Sorry, gang, one more week and I'm out of school, then I'll be back in the GR where I belong!

message 6: by Mindy (new)

Mindy (MindyBuchanan) | 159 comments I've been wanting to read this one. If I remember, it has a bit of Slavic lore in it. Yay!

Thanks Alethea! I'm nearly out of school myself (thank goodness) and then on to summer reading too. Whoo hoo!

message 7: by Jane (new)

Jane (janeg) | 123 comments Mod
And there's a pronunciation glossary in the back.

message 8: by Mindy (new)

Mindy (MindyBuchanan) | 159 comments I just love folklore. Especially Slavic folklore. Marillier spins an excellent take of sisterhood, family, romance and, well, mythical characters.

Nothing in this book was a real surprise. There were elements I could see a mile away. But, there is something kind of comforting in keeping with the formula of a good folktale or fairy tale. This tale is very well written and the characters are all fleshed out. The heroine is smart and not a damsel in distress - which I really enjoyed.

message 9: by Samantha (new)

Samantha I'm glad this is June's book, Juliet Marillier is one of my fav authors. I've haven't had the chance to read any of her YA titles, so I can't wait! :)

message 10: by Alethea (last edited Jun 10, 2009 11:15AM) (new)

I agree with Mindy, the fairytale/folktale retelling is comforting. I liked The Swan Kingdom too. Though I could tell what would happen (it's a re-telling of The Wild Swans) it was fun to read--and much longer than the original tale, which I like!

More time to get lost in imagination.

message 11: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta | 41 comments OK- reserved it at the library (running a bit behind). Sounds like a good read!

message 12: by Alethea (new)

I'm going to have to re-read it, as I am doing with so many books this year. Good thing school is over.

message 13: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta | 41 comments OK- read it. Loved it. When do the discussions start? I am very excited; never partook in a discussion of the "book of the month".

message 14: by Mindy (new)

Mindy (MindyBuchanan) | 159 comments Mawgojzeta wrote: "OK- read it. Loved it. When do the discussions start? I am very excited; never partook in a discussion of the "book of the month"."

Anytime I think. You can start it off. Just tell us all what you loved about it. : )

message 15: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 511 comments Love love love this book. :)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Wildwood Dancing (other topics)
The Swan Kingdom (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Juliet Marillier (other topics)