Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

Book Club Nominations > June Winners: The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan and The Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly

Comments (showing 77-126)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 126: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen | 229 comments Just got The Lightning Thief today!

message 125: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenJen1221) | 623 comments YAY...I'm totally glad I bought A Northern Light on my first shopping trip since coming back to San Diego...It's been forever since I've been on so glad to finally update

JG (The Introverted Reader) I'm so behind! I don't even remember if I voted. I loved Lightning Thief and I'll try to pick up A Northern Light from the library soon.

message 123: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) I don't think that the pool is supposed to be boiling though. ;)

message 122: by Lori Kay (new)

Lori Kay (LoriKay) | 35 comments Fiona wrote: "Lol the weather. I feel like a roasted chicken here."

I understand! It was 104 today!!! I went to the pool for about 15 minutes, even that didnt help haha

message 121: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 312 comments I'm so jealous. I wish I lived in the sunny South, here it's cold.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (SusannaG) Yeah, after a rainy week when it didn't hit 80 all week, last week, this week we're up towards 90.

Comes of living in the "sunny South"!

The rain did help a great deal with the drought we've been having, though.

message 119: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Lol the weather. I feel like a roasted chicken here.

message 118: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (alexabexis) | 422 comments Fi, do you wish the book wasn't so hot or the weather?

message 117: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) I've started A Northern Light and so far it's quite good! I'm enjoying it. Just wish it wasn't so hot.

message 116: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) | 390 comments Alexis, I've seen a lot of books out of order at the library, too, and not just in the YA section. I've also been tempted to fix them and I have done it with a few!

message 115: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 312 comments I bought LT today! I'm so excited to read it! I also bought the third book in the series because it was only 4.99 at Borders! I'm so psyched to read both group read books and contribute to the discussion.

message 114: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (alexabexis) | 422 comments Beth wrote: "Yay! I got A Northern Light yesterday."

So did I! I was glad my library had it in stock. Almost didn't catch it, though. Their YA paperbacks are horribly out of order. The bookseller in me itches to alphabetize them, but I won't.

message 113: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) | 390 comments Yay! I got A Northern Light yesterday.

message 112: by Heather (new)

Heather (hsditto) I picked up both The Lightning Thief and A Northern Light last week at the library...yay! I must have just instinctively known that they would be the winners :)

message 111: by Emily (new)

Emily (ejfalke) ERG - one of my students took my copy of LT and never returned it! Curses!

message 110: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) I'm bored of my current book so I might start this now. Just got to bother to get up and get it now.

message 109: by Susan (new)

Susan (MrsFun) | 89 comments My daughter has LT on her shelf so guess I'll start with that one. I just ordered NL so hopefully that will be here soon. Looks like a great month for reading! (OK, aren't they all?!)

message 108: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen | 229 comments Yay, I'm so glad A Northern Light won! I just started it last night.

message 107: by Lori Kay (new)

Lori Kay (LoriKay) | 35 comments Ohh Im so excited about Lighting Thief, I've been wanting to read it! Id never heard of Northern Light till just a couple of weeks ago, so Im really excited about that as well!

message 106: by Jennifer W, WT Moderator (new)

Jennifer W | 1289 comments Mod
Yay! I'm glad Lightning Thief won. I was planning on reading Northern Light for the set in your area challenge (upstate NY), so now I still can! I've read it before, years ago, and remember liking it, so we've got some good books to read for next month!

message 105: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle Well, I was thinking of reading that series by Rick Riordan, so now is as good a time as ever.

I have already read "A Northern Light". Hmmm...

message 104: by KrisT (new)

KrisT Oh good, I ordered Lightning Thief from the library just yesterday morning and I have already read A northern light.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) Becky wrote: "I might just have to go out and buy the 5th book in HC, because I know that if I start reading the series, I will want to read ALL of it. "

I'm with you there, who knows how long it will take the dumb library to get it.

message 102: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) I might just have to go out and buy the 5th book in HC, because I know that if I start reading the series, I will want to read ALL of it.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) *happy dance*

message 100: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) YAY!!!!!!!!!!

message 99: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) | 390 comments I'm looking forward to it; I had just put this on my TBR list last week.

message 98: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessilouwho22) Yayyy! A Northern Light won its category! Can't wait to hear what you all have to say about it...I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did!

message 97: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (samjaymc) | 200 comments The Lighning Thief won!
Oh my goodness, I'm so happy!

I've already read the Lighning Thief, so I can just comment on things and add to the discussions in June.

message 96: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 342 comments Yay, I'm glad Lightning Thief won, as it is already on my June reading list. I read A Northern Light a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. I'll have to get it back out (hope I still have it) and look over it again.

message 95: by Natalee (new)

Natalee (nataleem00) | 459 comments WoooHooo!!! A Northern Light won! I hope everyone loves it. I thought it was fantastic!!

message 94: by Jamie (last edited May 29, 2009 04:51AM) (new)

Jamie Kristen wrote: "Well, I've already read Lightning Thief, so one down for me! I'm looking forward to The Northern Light and picked it up at the library last night because it was leading so ahead in the polls. :) "

Me too (though I've had A Northern Light on my TBR shelf for a while and I've been meaning to read it for just as long). Great choices this month!

message 93: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Luckily, I already have it - and hope to be reading it soon. I need more points for the challenge too, lol!

message 92: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1046 comments Well, I've already read Lightning Thief, so one down for me! I'm looking forward to The Northern Light and picked it up at the library last night because it was leading so ahead in the polls. :)

message 91: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Welcome Lori! GR is a fantastic, fantastic place and I'm glad WT is one of your first ports of call. :D

And as to business - fantastic guys! We have our winners:

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan which is our fantasy winner and The Northern Light, known as The Gathering Light in the UK by Jennifer Donnelly.

message 90: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) Good to have you, both in GR and in WT. :D

message 89: by Lori Kay (new)

Lori Kay (LoriKay) | 35 comments Thanks!! Im excited I found this site! =-)

message 88: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) (And welcome too, by the way!)

message 87: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) In the polls please. :)

message 86: by Lori Kay (new)

Lori Kay (LoriKay) | 35 comments Im so new to GR and I just joined ya'lls group and Im still trying to figure everything out. So, silly question. Do I vote in the polls or on the comment box?

message 85: by Heather (new)

Heather (hsditto) Since it doesn't look like my poor Graceling is going to win, I think I'll switch my vote to help break the current tie....

Allison, thanks for the coupon offer! I did get that Borders email, so I have one too :) I think I've decided to try and be patient and just wait to get Graceling from the library...until I change my mind tomorrow. LOL

message 84: by Luann (new)

Luann (AZbookgal) | 274 comments Fiona wrote: "A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnoley has won the regular category."

I'm going to go put it on hold right now at the library. I'm glad something won that I haven't read! And it does look like a good one.

message 83: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) I'll extend the deadline to my tomorrow morning but meanwhile you can safely presume that -

A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnoley has won the regular category.

message 82: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Hmm well I think we'll have to have a vote off!

message 81: by Jennifer W, WT Moderator (new)

Jennifer W | 1289 comments Mod
Lightning Thief is tied with Howl's! Go Percy!!

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) well, I think we're outta luck Kathy, but we can always read and discuss in the thread, I think there already is one for all the Percy Jacksons.

message 79: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 342 comments I'm pulling for The Lightning Thief because it's on my June reading list, so it would be a perfect fit.

message 78: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1046 comments Yeah, go ahead and close them I think. :)

message 77: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) I'm not, by the way.

« previous 1 3
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Graceling (other topics)
Gifts (other topics)
To Kill a Mockingbird (other topics)
Once Dead, Twice Shy (other topics)
Fever 1793 (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic