Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

Book Club Nominations > June Winners: The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan and The Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly

Comments (showing 1-50 of 126) (126 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Fiona (last edited May 25, 2009 12:01PM) (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) | 1837 comments Group nominations are over so could you please make your way over to the Polls section: http://www.goodreads.com/poll/list/17...

And vote in the two polls for the books you want to read next month.

You may vote in each poll.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) Category 2 - Archer's Goon by Diana Wynne Jones

It is one of Neil Gaiman's Top 10 favorites as well as fantasy...so we could kill two birds with one stone. :D

Fiona (bookcoop) | 1837 comments Category 1: A Northern Light/A Gathering Light by Jennifer Donnelly

(same book, different titles.)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) Oooh!! My category won!! *excited*

I nominate The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan for Category 2. :)

Samantha (samjaymc) | 200 comments Becky wrote: "Oooh!! My category won!! *excited*

I nominate The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan for Category 2. :)"

I second that :) Awesome series!

Heather (hsditto) Category 2: Graceling by Kristin Cashore

Adam | 5 comments For Cat 2: Gifts by Ursula K. Le Guin

I just bought this because it's sequel (Powers) just won the Nebula Award

Adam | 5 comments Are there actually any books in YA that aren't fantasy? I know there are a couple, but browsing the shelves at my local bookstore, it seems like 9/10 are fantasy.

Fiona (bookcoop) | 1837 comments Yeah but fantasy is more wide known.

Laura (apenandzen) My two favorites right now are already in - Archer's Goon & A Northern Light.

message 11: by Jennifer W, WT Co-Moderator (new)

Jennifer W | 1123 comments Mod
I'd like to nominate for category 1 To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee.

Kristen | 1046 comments Category 2: Once Dead, Twice Shy by Kim Harrison

Susan (MrsFun) | 89 comments Catagory 1: Watership Down by Richard Adams

message 15: by Kim (last edited May 21, 2009 12:02AM) (new)

Kim (KimTobash) | 4 comments As Fantasy, I would like to nominate "Order of the Odd Fish" by James Kennedy. He is coming to my classroom to do a reading. I wrote him because I bought it as a gift for one of my students, for mopening night and he loved it so much I felt compelled to write him to let him know. Who knew he lived in the same city and he offered to come to a reading I bought it for myself, but I promise to wait until June 1st to start reading it. My students reaction is priceless!!!

My first cat. nomination is Speak, by Laurie Anderson.

Karey (KareyShane) | 77 comments Becky wrote: "Oooh!! My category won!! *excited*

I nominate The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan for Category 2. :)"

I third that. My son has told me over and over how much he likes this one that it's time I gave it a try.

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) Cat 1 - Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger

Jess Michaelangelo Cat 1 - A Northern Light - Jennifer Donnelly

Although I'll have finished this by then, I'd LOVE to discuss this with you all! :)

Fiona (bookcoop) | 1837 comments Kim, you can only nominate for one category I'm afraid - which one would you like to go with? I presume you would go with the fantasy one all considering! How very exciting.

message 21: by Fiona (last edited May 24, 2009 10:50AM) (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) | 1837 comments The nominations so far:

Cat. 1

A Northern Light/A Gathering Light – Jennifer Donnolly
To Kill a Mockingbird – Harper Lee
Fever 1793 by Laurie Halse Anderson.
Watership Down by Richard Adams
Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger
An Abundance of Katherines by John Green
Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson
13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson
The Only Alien on the Planet by Kristen D. Randle.
Rules by Cynthia Lord

Cat. 2

Archers Goon – Diana Wynne Jones
Graceling Kristin Cashore
The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
Gifts by Ursula K. Le Guin
Once Dead, Twice Shy by Kim Harrison
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll
Order of the Odd Fish by James Kennedy
Briar Rose by Jane Yolen
The 13 Clocks by James Thurber
The Vampire Diaries: The Awakening/ and The Struggle. - L.J SMith
Howls Moving Castle by Dianne Wynne Jones

Keep on nominating those who haven't!

Stephanie (sbranson05) | 30 comments Cat. 1 - Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

Katrina (katrinasreads) | 16 comments Category 2: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Kim (KimTobash) | 4 comments OOPS! Sorry Fiona. Yes fantasy!

Fiona (bookcoop) | 1837 comments No probs Kim. :)

Amanda (amandaroby) Category 2: Briar Rose by Jane Yolen

Teresa in Ohio  (teresainohio) cat 1 old yeller

cat 2 vampire diaries

Fiona (bookcoop) | 1837 comments Only one category please Teresa - it has to be one or the other not both.

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) Teresa, you can only choose one category for nominations. :)

Emily | 25 comments Category 2: The 13 Clocks by James Thurber

On a related note, is there anywhere where previous picks are complied? I'm new to this and hoping that I'm not nominating a previous winner.

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) Emily, this is actually only the second round of book nominations we've done. The previous book picks are the ones you see on the group homepage: The Graveyard Book and Anne of Green Gables. That's it! :)

You bring up a good point though. I think that Fiona and Laura are going to use the group bookshelf only for official group reads. Members cannot add books to it, only mods can.

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) (By the way, love your Daria avi -- I used to love watching that show when it was on!)

message 35: by Fiona (last edited May 24, 2009 03:21AM) (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) | 1837 comments Becky is right, the group reads (and only the group reads) will be in the bookshelf. :)

Great nominations so far - just a reminder they will be over by the end of today so you better get them in.

I will put up a poll by tomorrow.

Teresa in Ohio  (teresainohio) Fiona wrote: "Only one category please Teresa - it has to be one or the other not both."

oops new here,

I will choose vampire diaries.

Fiona (bookcoop) | 1837 comments Thanks Teresea. :) That is by L J Smith isn't it?

Bethany | 12 comments I'd like to nominate in category two Howls Moving Castle by Dianne Wynne.

Emily | 25 comments Thanks Becky and Fiona! Glad to know I'm getting in early.

Alexis (alexabexis) | 422 comments The Vampire Diaries are by L.J. Smith. The first volume is called The Awakening, but the first two volumes are currently being printed together in one book: The Vampire Diaries: The Awakening and The Struggle.

Fiona (bookcoop) | 1837 comments Thanks Alexis.

Note in future people please be specific because I might not always bother to keep checking up.

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 342 comments For category 1, I'd like to throw in Rules by Cynthia Lord, a wonderful read I just finished and would gladly read again (a quick read) with the group. Rules by Cynthia Lord

Fiona (bookcoop) | 1837 comments So sorry for being a lame moderator - I totally forgot about the polls!

Fiona (bookcoop) | 1837 comments Group nominations are over so could you please make your way over to the Polls section: http://www.goodreads.com/poll/list/17...

And vote in the two polls for the books you want to read next month.

You may vote in each poll.

Heather (hsditto) Yay, voting time!!!

*runs off to polls*

message 47: by Jennifer W, WT Co-Moderator (new)

I've voted, but how long will the poll be open?

Fiona (bookcoop) | 1837 comments Until the 28th June... or the 29th? I want to leave you a few days maybe to be able to get hold of the books.

And I want to see the cool grey 'upcoming' book box thing at the front. :D

message 49: by Jennifer W, WT Co-Moderator (new)

Hehe, you're the moderator, you get to decide. It sounds good to me.

Fiona (bookcoop) | 1837 comments But I'm not a dictator. :P

« previous 1 3