European Royalty discussion

Other Discussions > Jean Plaidy

Comments (showing 1-4 of 4) (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Nikki (tikki_nik2) | 19 comments Hi, I'm about to start out on my first Jean Plaidy and I was just wondering how accurate are Jean Plaidy's books? I know they're historical fiction, but I know that some authors are a lot more accurate than others so I was wondering how she compares. Thanks, Nikki

Susan (boswellbaxter) | 96 comments She's reasonably accurate in my experience, but some of the sources she relied upon have since been superseded. For instance, when she was writing about Anne Boleyn, it seems to have been commonly thought that Anne had a stepmother, but that has since been disproved. She's certainly not one of those authors who deliberately play fast and loose with facts.

Sara W (SaraWEsq) | 2140 comments I think she tried to be as accurate as possible based on the sources she had at the time. She wrote all the way between the 1940s and 1990s, so if stuff has since been disproven as Susan mentioned, that could explain some discrepancies. Most of her books have bibliographies, and she tended to add an author's note when the story seems fabricated but is true (well, true to the best of her knowledge). I find her books to be pretty reliable overall (which may be why some people find her stories a little dry compared to other authors who are willing to stray from known facts).

Sera | 246 comments I agree with Sara - there's no hot sex in Plaidy's books.

unread topics | mark unread