Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

Little Women (Little Women, #1)
This topic is about Little Women
Classics > Little Women

Comments (showing 1-50 of 74) (74 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I am currently reading this book and was wondering what everyone else thought of it? I have seen the movie before, but never read the book.

Sorry, if this book is discussed elsewhere - I didn't see it.

Fiona (bookcoop) | 1837 comments Didn't like it. I have the book Little Women/Good Wives and just couldn't be bothered with Good Wives. I did kinda like it it but then I was just so fed up with the overtly preachy side of it. Every chapter had a moral lesson.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) I loved loved LOVED the book as a kid, don't think I would as much now at all. Plus the way it ended never set well with me.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Hmmm... sounds like I should have read it awhile ago, instead of bothering with it now. I am enjoying it a little bit. I grew up the oldest of 4 girls, so I can relate to that part of it.

Fiona (bookcoop) | 1837 comments You might still enjoy it. I think it is a book that has dated a lot though.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) No, I think you should still read it :)

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Haha okay thanks guys. I'm not very far, but I am using it as one of my challenge tasks so I will let you know what think soon enough!

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) Linda, don't let them put you off this book. It is only one of my all time favorites!!

Heather (hsditto) I'm using it for one of my challenge tasks too, Linda. I haven't read it before *hangs head in shame* but I'm looking forward to it.

I love the movie version with Winona Ryder and Christian Bale. One of my favorite movies!

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) Heather! You're in for a treat. I'm using this book for my "parent" challenge task, so I would love to discuss it with you guys.

It really is one of my favorite favorites! I sob like nothing else while reading this book. But it is so good! Allison and Fiona just have no hearts. ;)

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Haha I like it enough so far. I love Beth's character! She is so amusing in all her shyness...

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) Yes. She is all purity and light. Love her.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

:) Fiona - what's so wrong with a moral lesson?

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) Fiona is IMmoral, that is what is so wrong.

Fiona (bookcoop) | 1837 comments It was over the top. I guess also with me being not religious it also felt very preachy and as she was some on some high horse. And uhm...

********SPOILERS OF A SORT**********

There was a chapter where some English people visited and she made them out to be very self-important people who thought British people were the best. And other things some which were possibly correct.

Her moral lesson if I remember correctly, was to never think you are superior... but she ended it by making out as if they were more superior which kinda defeated the object.

And of course it just grated on my hidden patriotic bone.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) I love the Christian Bale movie version too! Its not that I don't like the book, I just can't stand the END!

Fiona (bookcoop) | 1837 comments The movie was so good. :) I did kinda like the book... I kinda see-sawed by liking it and being annoyed by the high-horsed preachiness.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Haha Fiona, I understand... the movie was good I thought as well, but with Christian Bale how could it not be?

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) seriously! I LOVE Christian Bale, and he was so sweet looking back then.

Fiona (bookcoop) | 1837 comments Yeah... he was. *sigh* Christian Bale... hmm. Anyway... back to the book...

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Haha such a great mod Fiona, making sure we don't get distracted!

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) Fiona, I am right there with you about the religious aspect of the story, as I am not religious at all either. But, I just accept the religious/moral lessons as part of the times that they were living in.

I'd also imagine that the British felt as if America was very new and a "baby" country, which it was at that point, having only been around 100 years old. But then American's probably would have been proud of STARTING their own country, and thus had a bit of pride of their own.

I don't know. I can kind of see it from both sides.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) I think you do just have to accept the book is dated when considering British/American relations

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) Christian Bale!

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) (Sorry. I'm bad. I know it.)

Fiona (bookcoop) | 1837 comments I accept it for part of themes as well a bit, but at the same time it was just too overt. I don't mind a religious aspect it was just having these morals shoved down my throat like it was some rule book on how to live.

The thing that annoyed me was that she kinda defied her own 'moral lesson'. You can't criticise one country and then go on to doing the same thing. It's hypocritical.

I think the best books have moral stories which are more hidden. I fet like I was being lectured after each chapter.

And the mother figure was just too nice, too good. i felt everything was done, planned and written for a moral purpose/lesson/lecture then to tell a good story.

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) Well... It kind of was. It was written for young girls at the time, to be both entertaining and instructional. (Not that the instruction is "correct", but just appropriate for the time they lived in.)

Fiona (bookcoop) | 1837 comments I do understand that, but it's just... not for me. I can't get into character as a reader before I read a book. Part of me did enjoy it but I just didn't really feel compelled to read on. I'd seen the movie and that was it for me.

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) Interesting, I don't really think of it as "getting into character", but I can see what you mean. I think I am just able to separate my own opinions on some issues from the one that is being portrayed in the book, mostly with classics, but occasionally with more contemporary books as well.

But I'm not always able to do that, so I understand what you mean Fi. :)

Fiona (bookcoop) | 1837 comments I did finish Little Women, just couldn't be bothered with Good Wives at the time... might return to it one day. Just needed a break.

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) I've always read them together as one book. But if you didn't like Little Women, you probably won't like Good Wives for the same reason.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Is Good Wives the girl's stories after Little Women? I've never heard of that one...

Fiona (bookcoop) | 1837 comments Yeah, and then it's little men I think. But in the film they combined Little Women and Good Wives.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh I see! I had never heard of it because the movie calls the whole story Little Women. Interesting... maybe if I like this one I will continue.

message 35: by Jennifer W, WT Co-Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jennifer W | 1123 comments Mod
I've never read it (or seen the movie) either. I need to, though, as this was my mom's favorite book when she was younger. I don't know how I've never gotten to it...

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) Linda, in most of the books you can buy today, they are combined into one edition. You'll know if there are two parts to the story.

If the edition you have on your shelf is the actual one that you are reading, then you have a combined edition. :)

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

I think I do. I will have to check when I get home. I just started reading, not thinking about checking because I didn't know about Good Wives.

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) I'm sorry Linda, I was wrong. Apparently they are not all divided into the two parts. I have two copies and one of them is divided into parts but the other is not.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

I will for sure check when I get home. :D No need to apologize. I wouldn't have known the difference if I got to the end of the book and it wasn't there if I hadn't started this thread anyway.

Renee (ElenaRenee) | 82 comments I have always loved Little Women. Its one of my favorites. I watch all the movies as well. A month to 6 weeks ago I got excited that the library had a new movie version. I checked it out. It was the most awful thing I had ever seen.

It featured Susan Dey, Eve Plumb, and Meridtih Baxter Birney. They were all two old for the parts and well the acting was nasty. (Susan Dey was fair)

OHHHHHHHHHHHH and the professor Jo's love interest featured a young William Shatner. Oh my it was awful

Heather (hsditto) Just reading through all these new posts...Fiona, when you say you felt the book was "preachy", do you mean religiously or morally? Did you feel the same way about the movie, because I didn't get that from it at all. Just curious...

Do you all think the movie does a good job following the book? I was hoping to have some surprises in store for me when reading the book.

Fiona (bookcoop) | 1837 comments I liked the film and didn't find that preachy. It follows the book reasonably well, but the book is fairly different too.

It wasn't religiously preachy, just morally preachy. I understand for the time of the book and it must have been good for young women back then. And I liked how wild and independent Joe was.

I'd like to add I didn't hate the book or really dislike it, I was just annoyed by it.

It was just that every chapter was a moral story - it had a beginning a middle, and at the end there was usually a little lecture at the end about how one should be and behave.

Heather (hsditto) I loved Jo's character in the movie. She was definitely my favorite. She has such an adventurous spirit that is so appealing. Amy was probably my least favorite. She seemed kind of bratty and whiny, at least in the movie, and would get on my nerves. I'm anxious to see if my opinion of the characters will change at all with reading the book.

Fiona (bookcoop) | 1837 comments Yeah, Amy in the book was the same. I wanted to stamp on her. Beth was too nice I think but I liked her still. And I loved Meg.

I liked how they all called their mother Marmee.

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) Amy is a spoiled rotten turd in Little Women, but she's quite different in Good Wives (or the second half of LW depending on your edition).

Heather (hsditto) I need to check my book and see what edition I have...

Becky, have you read Little Men?

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) Yes I have, and Jo's Boys. They are good, and some people actually prefer Little Men because boys have better adventures, but Little Women (including Good Wives) is my favorite.

You can actually read Little Women (including GW), Little Men, and Jo's Boys here: Louisa May Alcott's Books Online

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) OK, I'm off to read ICTC now. :)

Heather (hsditto) Cool! Thanks for that link, Becky!

Have fun reading...I'm off to do the same thing :)

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Enchanted April (other topics)