Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Action/Adventure > The Hunger Games *possible spoilers*

Comments (showing 1-11 of 11) (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer W, WT Co-Moderator (new)

Jennifer W | 1189 comments Mod
First off, do people think this is an Action/Adventure or more of a fantasy? I think it's much more of an action type book.

I couldn't believe how much I liked this book. I was afraid it would be much more intense than it was (more like Lord of the Flies). I really enjoyed Collins' style and pace. I believed the love story, although sometimes I was a bit put out that Katniss was so blind to it, but that happens at that age.

I can't wait to get my hands on the sequel!

Kandice | 939 comments I was very surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. I think it should be classified as action/adventure. I could have done without the "love" aspect of the story, but loved how they used it to their advantage.

Luann (AZbookgal) | 274 comments I think it's science fiction with some action/adventure thrown in.

Fiona (bookcoop) Hmm. Is it set in a futuristic world? Technological? Involves science? Aliens, space ships?

message 5: by Fiona (last edited May 14, 2009 04:48PM) (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) According to Wiki it is an adult science fiction romance. Hmm why it is sold in the YA section then I dunno!

Obviously all books are going to borrow from different genres and not all books are easy to place. I haven't read the book though and not a big sci-fi fan. I guess we need to discuss more what determines different genres.

I would imagine sci-fi to have some action and adventure but considering it is set in the future...

message 6: by Luann (last edited May 14, 2009 04:50PM) (new)

Luann (AZbookgal) | 274 comments It is set in a post-apocalyptic world - in what used to be the United States but is now called Panem.

Edit: And they have all sorts of technology that we don't currently have.

Kandice | 939 comments It is not an adult book. I like YA but certain books just don't belong in the adult section and this in one. It's set in the future, but no aliens, spaceships, or even huge technological advances. I think the only reason for the future setting is to explain the idea of sending children to their deaths. It owuld qualify more as Dystopia than science fiction in my opinion.

Fiona (bookcoop) Hmm I think to me Dystopia is still classed as sci-fi to me anyway. I know there is going to be a lot of sub-genres but I don't want to start making millions of little folders for every other book.

btw I've opened up the sticky folder topics for genre discussion if you're interested.

Luann (AZbookgal) | 274 comments Yeah, it's definitely not an adult book - although definitely a YA book that many adults would enjoy. I would say it's an older YA book - because of the violence and violent death and children killing children. But the violence was dealt with very well. It was never over the top, I didn't think. I gave it 5 stars and have recommended it to several family members.

Luann (AZbookgal) | 274 comments Here's a nice article about the subgenres of science fiction:
http://www.writing-world.com/sf/genre...

Fiona (bookcoop) I wish I could merge threads and I'd forgotten there was a thread already for this! Hmm well I'll just close this one but leave it in existence.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread