European Royalty discussion

Other Discussions > inappropriate question (sorry)!!

Comments (showing 1-20 of 20) (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by suffiyan (new)

suffiyan saleem (saifee) | 79 comments i don't even know if i should be asking such a lame question but i couldn't resist posting it!were there any famous gay royal people?!i know that it was like hugely forbidden and all but being gay, i want to know my kinsmen!lol!i just know about george boleyn!what about you guys?any more??

message 2: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (SaraWEsq) | 2153 comments Hey, your question is fine! There are quite a few royal gays that I know of in England - William Rufus (William II, son of William the Conqueror), Richard the Lionheart (Richard I, son of Eleanor of Aquitaine and Henry II), Edward II (he's the one portrayed in Braveheart and his wife didn't take to kindly to his sexual preferences). Those are the ones I know off the top of my head, but I'm almost positive that I've read about others (or at least read about others where they was a lot of speculation about them being gay). Ugh, I think I just read something about some French royal/noble who was gay (or bi), but I can't think of his name! I'll glance through my books if I get a chance and post some more names.

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan (boswellbaxter) | 96 comments Edward II might well have had homosexual relationships, but the portrayal of him in Braveheart is way off the mark. Contrary to Braveheart, Edward II was certainly the father of Edward III and of three other children by Queen Isabella as well. (Edward II also fathered an illegitimate son, Adam.)

message 4: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 696 comments Wasn't Louis XIV's brother (Philippe I think?) a bit of a fop who was awfully tight with his male friends?

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (SusannaG) | 371 comments That's my impression of Monsieur, Misfit.

message 6: by Barbara (last edited May 12, 2009 08:26PM) (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 143 comments Yes, Wiki has a good section on Phillippe http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippe...
Was George Boleyn gay? I have never see any creditable historical evidence for it ( not that I've searched much) . I think it's some fabrication from that execrable Other Boleyn Girl, based on somebody's dubious claim that ALL the men that Anne was accused of comitting adultery with were actually gay......

message 7: by Susan (new)

Susan (boswellbaxter) | 96 comments I think the gay George theory comes from Retha Warnicke's book about the Boleyn family, but I don't think the theory is widely accepted.

message 8: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Moody | 544 comments I just read some about the Countess of Bathory - Hungarian royalty and basically a serial killer. She also seemed to have some pretty strong homosexual tendencies.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (SusannaG) | 371 comments From my reading of the author's note to The Other Boleyn Girl, it sounds like a view held by a very few historians (that George Boleyn was gay). Gregory just took it and ran with it, because it would make a good story line.

message 10: by suffiyan (new)

suffiyan saleem (saifee) | 79 comments this group is pretty against Ms. Gregory!!lol!!!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (SusannaG) | 371 comments I don't object to her fiction (it can be great fun to read) - just that a lot of her "history" isn't so historical.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (SusannaG) | 371 comments I'm not sure what Peter II's (or was it III? Think it's II.) sexual dysfunction was precisely; but he was a serious nutcase.

message 13: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (SaraWEsq) | 2153 comments I'm just starting a book about James I of England, and it seems likely that he was gay (he's at least surrounding himself with attractive young men).

message 14: by Nona (new)

Nona (goodreadscomnona) | 145 comments I just finished that chapter on Peter III and Catherine II in Royaltys Strangest Characters and it did not mention that he was gay, according to the author Geoff Tibballs Peter's foreskin was too tight to get an erection there for could not consumate the marriage after years of this Empress Elizabeth(sp?) agreed that Catherine, still a virgin at 24 could take a lover during this time Peter finally agreed to the circumsized(again sp?) because Catherine had a child nine months after she started having an affair the Empress thought it would rectify things however Peter still perferred to play soldiers in bed then produce an heir with Catherine. They were married eight years before they actually had sex, sad thing was he thought she was ever faithful even though she bore multiple childern that were not Peters but her lovers'.

message 15: by Nona (new)

Nona (goodreadscomnona) | 145 comments Mandy wrote: "I just read some about the Countess of Bathory - Hungarian royalty and basically a serial killer. She also seemed to have some pretty strong homosexual tendencies. "

Her husband was away months and years at a time and it was her main woman attendant that got her started because she had a hard time climaxing with her husband supposedly and when she complained her attendant/closed friend showed her how to do it herself and with other women, her aunt was a raging homosexual too, she was very open about it.

message 16: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 696 comments Did we mention William Rufus?

message 17: by suffiyan (new)

suffiyan saleem (saifee) | 79 comments who's william rufus!?

message 18: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 696 comments suffiyan wrote: "who's william rufus!?"

One of the sons of William the Conqueror. Valerie Anand's King of the Wood has him as a main character.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_...

message 19: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (SaraWEsq) | 2153 comments I think I mentioned William Rufus somewhere but the name split funny due to the margins. Some more about James I of England - at the very least he was bisexual (according to one source), but a couple of others just said he was homosexual. He definitely had kids with his wife (got his heir and spares), but he seemed to spend all his time with handsome, young men.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (SusannaG) | 371 comments Several of the later Medici Grand Dukes of Florence seem either to have been homosexual or bi. (Was reading the end of The House of Medici Its Rise and Fall last night, and it jumped out at me.)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The House of Medici: Its Rise and Fall (other topics)