M/T Reading Friends discussion

Comments (showing 1-50 of 188) (188 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Julie (last edited May 11, 2009 11:56AM) (new)

Julie Raffety (jraffety) | 16 comments JF: Lie Down with the Devil by Linda Barnes. I haven't liked the last couple of her books enough to finish them, but I liked this one & look forward to seeing where she takes Carlotta.

NR: The Perfect Summer (England 1911, Just before the Storm) n/f by Juliet Nicolson. The author is the granddaughter of Vita Sackville-West & Harold Nicolson. Very interesting so far.

Sherry  | 1931 comments n/r-cutting for stone by abraham verghese
j/f- walking dead by greg rucka

Teresa in Ohio  (teresainohio) | 357 comments n/r beyond reach slaughter
j/f second chance patterson

still reading absent friends about 1/4 done

teresa

JanG | 163 comments JF: 8th Confession8th Confession
NR: Twenty Wishes Twenty Wishes

Cheryl | 547 comments JF: Tonight I Said Goodbye Michael Koryta

NR: Batter Off Dead Tamar Myers

DNF: Beat the Reaper Josh Bazell. I kept hearing how great this was. Wasn't doing a thing for me.

Barry (barrypz) | 1548 comments ...Tonight I Said Goodbye Michael Koryta

I just finished this too (what are the odds?). I could see why it got Edgar finalist. I found the book well paced and well thought out, and liked the characters, though thre are certain cases PIs don't belong on,. and this was one of them.
Barry

Carol/Bonadie (Bonadie) | 3582 comments Barry wrote: " ...Tonight I Said Goodbye Michael Koryta

I just finished this too (what are the odds?). ...though thre are certain cases PIs don't belong on,. and this was one of them."

Boy, this is an intriguing statement, but I'm sure any further inquiry will get into spoiler territory, so I won't.

Daniel | 1302 comments DNF: Beat the Reaper Josh Bazell. I kept hearing how great this was. Wasn't doing a thing for me."

I'm reading it now and enjoying it, Cheryl. But I can certainly see how it might not appeal to some people. The footnotes, while interesting, do chop up the flow a little.

Amy | 441 comments I'm reading French silk By Sandra Brown It's taking awhile for me to get into it. I'm away in N.Y. so that could be the reason. LOL

Lori Van Buskirk | 73 comments JF: The Courage Tree by Diane Chamberlain
NR: Blue Heaven by CJ Box

Teresa in Ohio  (teresainohio) | 357 comments JF body count, GREAT READ
almost finished absent friends

NR midnight king
NR beyond reach

Donna/annodluvsbks (annodluvsbks) | 99 comments Lori/QueenoftheVBS wrote: "
NR: Blue Heaven by CJ Box"

Lori,
How are you liking this one? I enjoyed it very much. Very different from his Joe Pickett series.

JF: Fortune's Rocks (excellent)
NR: The Center of Winter

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 5725 comments I was stuck in the library during a sudden downpour earlier today (not such a bad place to be stuck!) and sat down to read the beginning of Greg Rucka's newest Atticus Kodiak book, Walking Dead while waiting for a break in the rain. It is going to be hard to wait to pick this back up again!

Cathy | 180 comments I just startedShe's Come Undone She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb
I read some snippets of really negative reviews, so I'm wondering if it's really what I want for a lazy Saturday evening.

Sally/Aymster54 | 49 comments I just finished Cutting for Stone and so far it's my Top Read for the year. A BFB that's an engaging, meaty read.

I've had trouble getting into anything since CFS, but am trying Bodies Left Behind (does this involve anything other than a long chase?) and an oldie, Still Life with Crows

Sherry  | 1931 comments Sally/Aymster54 wrote: "I just finished Cutting for Stone and so far it's my Top Read for the year. A BFB that's an engaging, meaty read.

I've had trouble getting into anything since CFS, but am trying Bodies Left Behin..."

i keep picking up cutting for stone and the library keeps calling me with books that are 10 days only, so i keep putting it down so i can read those. i really have been interested in what i've read so far so hopefully will get back to it soon!

Donnajo | 2072 comments I finally started Riptide by Catherine Coutler this morning. I just hope I finish it before Wednesday I don't want to take a hc like this tot he shore. And I'm going to be leaving for there later that day. The week is going to go very fast since I have a graduation party tuesday night and I'm hoping to go to needlepoint that morning. Those who have seen the picture of the tote bag canvas it's finished and I got it back and it came out beautiful. I've been having trouble getting on facebook so can't put a picture up of it yet. But hopefully soon.

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 5725 comments Sally:
I started The Bodies Left Behind A Novel a couple of months ago and other books plus due dates nudged me to put it aside unfinished. I wasn't engaged enough in the story or the characters to keep reading what appeared to be more of a very long chase sequence.

I may pick it back up again someday, but this standalone didn't engage me like most of the Lincoln Rhyme or Katherine Dance books have. My experience and opinion of Jeffery Deaver's books have been mixed in the past. (I haven't loaded them to Goodreads yet)

Sally/Aymster54 wrote: "I've had trouble getting into anything since CFS, but am trying Bodies Left Behind (does this involve anything other than a long chase?) and an oldie, Still Life with Crows "

Sally/Aymster54 | 49 comments Ann wrote: "Sally:
I started The Bodies Left Behind A Novel a couple of months ago and other books plus due dates nudged me to put it aside unfinished. I wasn't engaged enough in the story or ..."

Thanks, Ann. This is what I'm finding too. I'll give it 100+ pages and then put it aside. I think he's coming out with a new one in June: Roadside Crosses. I'll look it up to see if it's a Lincoln Rhyme story. I do like the way this author writes.

Lori Van Buskirk | 73 comments Donna/annodluvsbks wrote: "Lori/QueenoftheVBS wrote: "
NR: Blue Heaven by CJ Box"

Lori,
How are you liking this one? I enjoyed it very much. Very different from his Joe Pickett series.

JF: Fortune's Rocks (excellent..."

I didn't read any of his series but I've read his other stand alone. I'm liking this one so far. I just haven't had much reading time so it seems slow to me. I need to stop playing on line and read more. It's getting a little interesting now.

Nancy (JaneNancy) | 156 comments Ann wrote: "I was stuck in the library during a sudden downpour earlier today (not such a bad place to be stuck!) and sat down to read the beginning of Greg Rucka's newest Atticus Kodiak book, [book:Walking De..."

If I had to be stuck somewhere during a downpour, the library would be my choice. A very good excuse to stay longer. Nancy

Sally/Aymster54 | 49 comments Sally/Aymster54 wrote: "Ann wrote: "Sally:
I started The Bodies Left Behind A Novel a couple of months ago and other books plus due dates nudged me to put it aside unfinished. I wasn't engaged enough in th..."

OK, I have stuck with and and am almost finished this one. I must say the pace has picked up quite a bit... about 3/4 of the way through. There are some twists that surprised even me. LOL

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 5725 comments Sally:
Glad to hear you finally got into The Bodies Left Behind A Novel! Deaver is known for his multiple twists!

Sally/Aymster54 wrote: "OK, I have stuck with and and am almost finished this one. I must say the pace has picked up quite a bit... about 3/4 of the way through. There are some twists that surprised even me. LOL "

Ann/TheoAnn (TheoAnn) | 50 comments JF: Never Tell A Lie by Hallie Ephron
NR: Nine Lives: Death and Life in New Orleans by Dan Baum

Lori Van Buskirk | 73 comments JF: Blue Heaven by CJ Box
NR: Summer on Blossom Street by Debbie Macomber

I have several good mysteries in my pile but I wanted to read Blossom Street before the due date. I'm trying not to renew as much.

Teresa in Ohio  (teresainohio) | 357 comments JF shadow men Jonathan king GOOD READ

NR beyond reach ( 1/2 way done), Charleys wed and Judgment call

Teresa in Ohio  (teresainohio) | 357 comments Ann/TheoAnn wrote: "JF: Never Tell A Lie by Hallie Ephron
"

How is Never tell a lie, I read all the others by her and another author.

Ann/TheoAnn (TheoAnn) | 50 comments Teresa wrote: "Ann/TheoAnn wrote: "JF: Never Tell A Lie by Hallie Ephron
"

How is Never tell a lie, I read all the others by her and another author. "

I liked it. Very suspenseful!

Donna in Southern Maryland (Cedarville922) | 120 comments JF: One Man's Wilderness An Alaskan Odyssey

NR: Jefferson Basslastest in the Body Farm series. Can't think of the name.

Donna in Southern Maryland

JanG | 163 comments Ann/TheoAnn wrote: "Teresa wrote: "Ann/TheoAnn wrote: "JF: Never Tell A Lie by Hallie Ephron
"

How is Never tell a lie, I read all the others by her an..."

I liked this one as well. I haven't read any others by her so I should look into them.

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 2153 comments J/F: Starvation Lake A Mystery Cheryl recommended this and it was a really good read! Especially if you like hockey!

N/R: Bad to the Bone & Dog on It A Chet and Bernie Mystery

Shomeret | 753 comments JF: WWW.Wake by Robert J. Sawyer (science fiction)
NR: In A Gilded Cage by Rhys Bowen (historical mystery)

Shomeret

Cheryl | 547 comments Melodie wrote: "J/F: Starvation Lake A Mystery Cheryl recommended this and it was a really good read! Especially if you like hockey!

Glad you liked it. It was one of those books that stayed with me after I had finished it.

CR: Dead and Gone Charlaine Harris
NR: Dog On it by Spencer Quinn who is really Peter Abrahams

Amy | 441 comments JF Don't tell A Soul by David Rosenfelt.
I really liked this book. I read it most of this afternoon and finished it tonight. I couldn't put it down.

JanG | 163 comments Amy wrote: "JF Don't tell A Soul by David Rosenfelt.
I really liked this book. I read it most of this afternoon and finished it tonight. I couldn't put it down."

Me too. I think it's his first standalone. Not sure. I like the series he writes also. But I'm like you, I couldn't put it down!

Susie in KS Fevella (SusieinKS) | 1019 comments I just came back from a five day visit to Pennsylvania, and I actually managed to finish Shoots to Kill by Kate Collins. I also finished up High Profile by Robert B. Parker this morning.

I'm getting ready to start Freezer Burn by D.H. Dublin.

Sherry  | 1931 comments j/f: gone tomorrow by lee child
n/r: the way home by george pelecanos

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 2153 comments Sherry wrote: "j/f: gone tomorrow by lee child
n/r: the way home by george pelecanos"

How are you liking The Way Home? I thought it was another great offering from Pelecanos.

Sherry  | 1931 comments Melodie wrote: "Sherry wrote: "j/f: gone tomorrow by lee child

How are you liking The Way Home? I thought it was another great offering from Pelecanos."

i just finished part 1, but so far i am loving it. carol, barry, and i are going to see pelecanos and michael connelly on thursday. looking forward to that!

Donnajo | 2072 comments J/F: Summer on Blossum Street by Debbie Macomber (finished sunday at the shore)
N/R: Obsessed by Susan Andersen (I think that is the name it's a beach book and since I also started the other library book which my sister finished at the shore yesterday The Associate by John Grisham I left my shore book for this coming weekend when I go back (big flea market saturday)
Had 150 emails since I left for shore 6:00pm on wednesday and didn't get home until maybe around 3pm today and still had to run out to do some errands. My niece had a tex message from her school (she's a teacher) on sunday saying they were being closed today because they had someone in the HS with Swine flu. So my sister & brother in law decided to stay the extra day rather than come up in traffic yesterday and I had gone down with them. We probably would have stayed longer today but it was very windy. Yesterday was the 10 day. Was on the beach yesterday and one other day. No bathing suit yet but people were in them. A few nuts even in the icey cold water. Ran in library to drop off one book today and they had a sale of their own books and I picked up 5 (5 for $1.00 pbs) Stop Me by Brenda Novak, Nantucket Nights by Elin Hilderbrand (I didn't think I had this one), A Sundog Moment by Sharon Baldacci (I've had this on my list to get forever), Hawke's Way Grooms by Joan Johnston, A Rose from the dead by Kate collins. Now if I can get the Grisham book read before heading back to the shore I'll be very happy.

Ann/TheoAnn (TheoAnn) | 50 comments J/F: Nine Lives: Death and Life in New Orleans by Dan Baum

N/R: The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley

I will probably be starting John Adams, also, but because it's a BFNFB, I don't expect to read it straight through. I have been watching the DVD of the series which is what inspired me.

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 2153 comments Sherry wrote: "Melodie wrote: "Sherry wrote: "j/f: gone tomorrow by lee child

How are you liking The Way Home? I thought it was another great offering from..."

I met Pelecanos here in Denver back when Hard Revolution A Novel came out. Interesting man! And Hard Revolution A Novel is still one of the best books I've read in recent years.

Shomeret | 753 comments JF: The Samurai's Daughter by Sujata Massey
Next: The Lost Quilter by Jennifer Chiaverini

Shomeret

Sherry  | 1931 comments I met Pelecanos here in Denver back when Hard Revolution A Novel came out. Interesting man! And Hard Revolution A Novel is still one of the best books I've read in recent years.

carol and i met him when he was on tour for hard revolution, also. i still listen to the CD i got with the book. ;)

Shomeret | 753 comments Sherry wrote: "Sally/Aymster54 wrote: "I just finished Cutting for Stone and so far it's my Top Read for the year. A BFB that's an engaging, meaty read.

I've had trouble getting into anything since CFS, but am ..."

I just got on the library's hold list for Cutting For Stone. I am 45th on the list. I suspect the paperback edition will be out by the time I get it.

Shomeret

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 2153 comments Sherry wrote: "I met Pelecanos here in Denver back when Hard Revolution A Novel came out. Interesting man! And Hard Revolution A Novel is still one of the best books I've read in recent years.

carol and i met him when he was on tour for hard revolution, also. i still listen to the CD i got with the book. ;)..."

I listen to mine, too. Had it out just the other day!

message 47: by JanOMalleycat (last edited May 26, 2009 07:45PM) (new)

JanOMalleycat | 323 comments Shomeret posted: " JF: The Samurai's Daughter by Sujata Massey"

Shomeret, are you reading your way through the Rei Shimura series or did you pick this one up out of order? I loved the first 2 or 3 of the series, then started to like them less and less. I think I stopped with The Pearl Diver and don't know if Massey has published any since.

Jan O'Cat

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 5725 comments DonnaJo:
Good haul at the library sale!! You can't beat 5/$5!

Donnajo wrote: "Ran in library to drop off one book today and they had a sale of their own books and I picked up 5 (5 for $1.00 pbs) Stop Me by Brenda Novak, Nantucket Nights by Elin Hilderbrand (I didn't think I had this one), A Sundog Moment by Sharon Baldacci (I've had this on my list to get forever), Hawke's Way Grooms by Joan Johnston, A Rose from the dead by Kate collins. Now if I can get the Grisham book read before heading back to the shore I'll be very happy."

Lori Van Buskirk | 73 comments I think I'm going to start Absent Friends today. I had to take back Summer on Blossom Street since it was due and non renewable.

Donnajo | 2072 comments I hope the weather is good on saturday that we can go to the big flea market but usually there isn't any book dealers at this one. But you never know. I didn't get much read in The Associate and it looks like it's possible that I'm heading south tomorrow. Saw my BIL & Robbie this morning and he said they might have to plant more flowers for my niece tonight so they might not go until tomorrow so he said I can go back with them. So keeping my fingers crossed. I'll probably know for sure later today. Anyway, looks like I'll have to take the library book since there will be no other way I can finish it before. Part of me is thinking I might just return it and not read it. But the chapter I read this morning it seems to be picking up some. Robbie was in a play with Aunt Donna mood today and I kept saying I had to go. So he wasn't happy when I left. Oh well.

« previous 1 3 4