Nora Roberts Groupies discussion

Characters > Heros you don't like

Comments (showing 1-37 of 37) (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Teryl (new)

Teryl Who is the Nora hero you don't like and why?

message 2: by Miss Kim (new)

Miss Kim (thatsmisskimtoyou) I don't have a specific character, but I do not like her 'absent minded professor' men that she writes. I am not attracted to this kind of beta hero. I know I've said this before, but I don't like the bumbling nerd much. Some examples are Mac from Three Sisters Island, Booke from In the Garden, and Carter from vision in White. They are interchangable to me.

message 3: by Teryl (new)

Teryl Max from A Love for Lilah. The professors don't bother me, in fact I like all the ones Kim posted about above, but for some reason I didn't like Max.

message 4: by Miss Kim (new)

Miss Kim (thatsmisskimtoyou) I've not read the Calhouns, yet. Why didn't you like him?

message 5: by Corrine (new)

Corrine (itsactuallycorrine) I agree w/ Kim. Kim, Max and Carter are basically the same characters, IMO.

message 6: by Amar (new)

Amar | 134 comments I agree with you all about Max but I reallllllly liked Carter...I thought he was just adorable!!

message 7: by Teryl (new)

Teryl I really liked Carter too.

message 8: by Miss Kim (new)

Miss Kim (thatsmisskimtoyou) I'm about 2/3 through VIW, and I do like Carter. He's grown on me. :)

message 9: by Laurie (new)

Laurie (Ardelia27) I didn't like Mitchell from Black Rose or Doug from Hot Ice. I thought Mitchell was boring and I just didn't feel the chemistry between Doug and Whitney.

message 10: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (wstridgerunner) My least fav is Duncan Swift from High Noon, when I read that book, it seemed that Duncan was Phoebe's minion, (and no that's not a word I use every day but that's what I was thinking), she shared her family, her money troubles...everything, except herself, she kept that locked away. No, I didn't care for Duncan Swift, I didn't have much respect for him.

message 11: by jenjn79 (new)

jenjn79 | 291 comments Mod
Huh...I'm drawing a blank on this one. I can't think of any heroes that just didn't work for me.

message 12: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mkloempken) I agree about Max from the Calhoun's...but other than that, the heroes each work for me, just on different levels.

message 13: by Caro (new)

Caro (wutheringreads) I wouln't say I didn't like him, but I was a bit annoyed by Josh from Daring to Dream. The fact that he was somehow satisfied by Margo losing everything and ruining her career bothered me, because that was the woman he claimed to love. However, I ended up liking him, only not as much as her other heroes.

message 14: by Miriam (new)

Miriam | 36 comments Megan, Less than a Stranger. She was annoying.

message 15: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 13 comments Tucker from can't rememeber! He was just lazy. And I went off Carolina Moon's characters after I got the dvd from the library and Oliver Hudson was the hero. Just not right

message 16: by Sobia (new)

Sobia (SoBe1982) | 8 comments SherryD wrote: "My least fav is Duncan Swift from High Noon, when I read that book, it seemed that Duncan was Phoebe's minion, (and no that's not a word I use every day but that's what I was thinking..."

Ditto to not liking Duncan and also Ryan Boldari from Homeport bothered me...I couldn't get past him being a thief... and the fact that his mother was proud of him for using his "gifts".

message 17: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (wstridgerunner) That's one of my least favorite titles; it seemed that Phoebe was also preaching about "accepting me as I am", yet she refused to accept Duncan as he was. She kept him at arms length, even though it was okay to help with her Mom and other burdens; but she compromised nothing in and of her inner self; Duncan was doing all the compromising. It's just hard for me to respect an individual who doesn't draw the line somewhere. And I really didn't care for Phoebe, I thought and considered her a user; well-meaning and thoughtful, not being mean on purpose; but still a user.
Maybe it was because her first marriage ended so badly then she lost her husband to the killer, (or bomber), that made her so aloof and shielded.

message 18: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (wstridgerunner) I know missmuffet; it's like she had no understanding of the word "compromise".....well; she did as long as it was the other party doing the compromising and not her.....

message 19: by Caro (last edited Oct 16, 2009 01:51PM) (new)

Caro (wutheringreads) I didn't like him much in the first two books either, but I loved Phillip in "Inner Harbour". He seemed much more easy-going than before and had a love for his family I hadn't believed he posessed. I thought it was so sweet how he wouldn't take the cheques they got from their business.

message 20: by Natalya (new)

Natalya (NatalyaVqs) The artsy type Colin Sullivan from Sullivan's Woman - just couldn't see myself going for him, presented as conceited, rude, a bully, not to mention much older than her which isn't a problem by itself but did make them an awkward couple.

message 21: by Caro (new)

Caro (wutheringreads) Littlemissmuffet wrote: "Oh I forgot about that. Think I might go back and read his story again :)"

Well, there's always a good reason to go back and reread a Nora Roberts book :-)

message 22: by Emily (new)

Emily (ImaBrooks2) | 81 comments I agree about sullivan, I didn't really like the overbearing jerk. I did like Phillip, eventually. the first two books didn't really build a good impression but his book (which I happen to be rereading right now) really brings his charecter to life and he is much more lovable. I still like him the least of all the quinns though.

message 23: by Colombina (new)

Colombina | 12 comments I don't like very much Preston McQuinn from The perfect neighbor (he passes from indifference straightway to love), Mitchell from Black rose (he's impersonel) and Bo Goodnight from Blue smoke (what a miracle, he's in love at first sight!) and I don't like at all Delaney Caine from Cordina's crown jewel and Jared MacKade from The pride of Jared MacKade.

message 24: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Maddox (jmmadd20) | 31 comments Mitchell from Black Rose, I just didn't feel the connection between him and Roz.

message 25: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (MsThestral) Simon in The Search. I didn't like his domineering attitude.

message 26: by Christina (new)

Christina Williams | 17 comments I don't think there's one I didn't like...even though some were kind of forgettable.

message 27: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (Ejaygirl) | 3369 comments Mod
I don't think I've met a Nora Roberts male character I didn't like:) She knows how to create appealing men.

message 28: by Talya (new)

Talya | 627 comments Mod
I think all of Nora's men are appealing, and even likeable. I tend to lean more to the bad boy type.

If i had to choose a type that's not my fave, i would have to say the privileged rich golden boy type. There's just a snotty arrogance about them. Josh from the Dream trilogy, Rogan from Born in trilogy, and Brad from the Key trilogy come to mind. The only golden boy type that I really liked was Del from the Bride Quartet.

message 29: by LeiCa (new)

LeiCa | 15 comments i'm pretty in love with most of the lead characters except

those whose names are a mouthful and i just can't get beyond the mothballs and pretensiousness of it- like Jedidiah Skimmerhorn or MacAllister Booke

or the thieves, Ryan Boldari, Roxy/Callahan, or Phillip Chamberlain/Adrienne - I just can't root for this type of hero. ... although i like the Cheasapeake Saga boys, theirs is a different matter, they turned their lives around and became strong men despite the odds of their youth..

message 30: by Mary (new)

Mary | 22 comments Oh, Leica really? In the beginning a was reluctant, too, about how I could like this type of hero, but I liked very much Ryan Boldari and I honestly loved both Philip Chamberlain and Adrianne; Sweet Revenge is one of my most favorite books! I believe that as NR develops these characters makes it a lot easier for the reader to relate with them....

message 31: by Shawn (new)

Shawn | 25 comments Wow! You guys are good! I know I've read all these books you are talking about but I don't remember them in that much detail. I guess I can start rereading them now. LOL!

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

I didn't like Linda a.k.a. "Scary Linda" Elliot, Seth DeLauter Quinn's momma from Rising Tides, or even the villian from Black Hills either. I really didn't like the villian from Scared Sins and Brazen Virtue. Couldn't stand the villian from Birthright, she got to b super duper annoyin'! LOL!

message 33: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 87 comments I'm probably the only one who feels this way, but Cooper Sullivan from Black Hills.
He leaves then forcefully pushes his way back into Lil's life. Lil is portrayed as a extremely strong and competent woman with plenty of other people willing to be there for her. People she actually wants around her. After, what the hundredth rejection, Cooper 'finds' himself in her house and refuses to leave. He needs to protect her.
I remember thinking 'I'd have called the cops by now.' I get that he loves her and deep deep extremely deep down she knows she needs him there.
But the way he shows it? That's not love. That's stalking.
I'm sorry. I didn't mean to rant.

message 34: by Becky (last edited Mar 03, 2015 01:25PM) (new)

Becky (ebab) | 119 comments From This Day by Nora Roberts Taylor Reynolds is an overbearing, sexist, controlling pig as far as I was concerned. I detested him throughout the entire book. Most male characters in other romance books may start out like real jerks, but mellow and you find out they do have a real soft heart. Not this one. It had so much potential, but I just felt angry though the whole thing and couldn't wait to finish it. I love Nora Roberts and have read so many of her other masterpieces. For me, this was not one of them. Still lover her work and will continue to read her great books. 2 stars

message 35: by Caro (last edited May 14, 2015 10:06AM) (new)

Caro (wutheringreads) ^ Amen, Becky.

I've been rereading a bunch of her earlier books recently, and it reminded me of how much I loathe the LOL What Is Consent? club. You know, the kind who grabs the heroine when she's angry and we're treated to a description of how ~she struggled in his strong arms before ~giving in to his passion. Among this type I include Taylor Reynolds, Chase Whatever (don't remember his last name or his book, but upon meeting the heroine he pinned her to the ground and kissed her. WHO DOES THAT), Caleb Hornblower (major disappointment with this one, I'd been loving him before), Bennett Bisset (idem), etc. They squick me out.

message 36: by Anita (last edited May 14, 2015 01:09PM) (new)

Anita (AnitaNoDiva) | 718 comments You really have to - not understand, exactly, but consider the era the book was written. A lot of 80's and early 90's stuff is like that, a lot of authors wrote that way. I, personally, just don't like that treatment and don't understand whatever made an author think that was romantic.

message 37: by Caro (new)

Caro (wutheringreads) Oh, I do. It's just not something that I can enjoy when I read a story.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Black Rose (other topics)
Hot Ice (other topics)
High Noon (other topics)
From This Day (other topics)