Read a book from each country discussion

Europe > Russia

Comments (showing 1-46 of 46) (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Silver (new)

Silver Fathers and Sons by Ivan Turgenev
Anna Karenine by Tolstoy

message 3: by Bettie☯ (last edited Jun 03, 2009 03:18PM) (new)

Bettie☯ I like The Master and Margarita, The Dream Life of Sukhanov and Day Watch for more up to date Russian stuff.

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (MichelleCW) | 11 comments Anna wrote: "I love Anna Karenina

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/4..."

Wonderful book...I love the classics

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (MichelleCW) | 11 comments Anna wrote: "I love Anna Karenina

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/4..."

Definitely a favorite; along with "Crime & Punishment"

message 7: by Ira (new)

Ira Bespalova (IraSkY) | 1 comments War and peace!....if you've got a looot of spare time.
It's a masterful piece of Russian literature.
Eugene Onegin is a must read as well!
If somebody's interested in the soviet period, read the book "Kotlovan" by Platonov.

message 8: by Anna (new)

Anna (lilfox) | 96 comments I was reading it for very long time.

message 9: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 41 comments I really highly recommend the two following books. They are memoirs that read like fiction! Olga's Story: Three Continents, Two World Wars and Revolution. One Woman's Epic Journey Through the Twentieth Century. What a long title. It is by Stephenie Williams. The second is The House by the Dvina: A Russian Childhood by Eugenia Fraser. I wrote my personal reviews of both. They meant a lot to me and I found both books completely by accident!

message 10: by Erma (new)

Erma Odrach | 11 comments Chrissie wrote: "I really highly recommend the two following books. They are memoirs that read like fiction! Olga's Story: Three Continents, Two World Wars and Revolution. One Woman's Epic Journey Through the Twent..."

Hi Chrissie,
I read Olga's Story and what a life the author's grandmother had. And what a historical backdrop! (The book was recommended to me by an Eastern Polish group -- survivors and offspring -- who is aiming to keep the memories alive of those who suffered under Stalin.)

Also, have had my eye on the House of Dvina but haven't got around to it yet. At one point the author talks of her return to Archangel, which I found of particular interest. I learned about Archangel from my father, where thousands upon thousands of lives were lost in the gulags there. It's very chilling to think that a city with a name like Archangel was really a city of horrors. I did a quick wikipedia search and there's no mention of the gulags in Archangel.

message 11: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 41 comments House by the Dvina was great!

message 12: by Silver (new)

Silver I recently read Notes From Underground and I really enjoyed it, it is a captivating and interesting read.

message 13: by Anna (new)

Anna (lilfox) | 96 comments I love Dostoevsky.

message 14: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 41 comments Anna, yeah!!!

message 15: by Erma (new)

Erma Odrach | 11 comments Chrissie wrote: "Anna, yeah!!!"

Speaking of Dostoevsky... Raskolnikov and Prince Myshkin are my two favorite literary characters.

message 16: by Anna (new)

Anna (lilfox) | 96 comments Brothers Karamazov rule

message 17: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 41 comments For me Dostoevsky"s characters, all of them, are so real b/c they are not ever stereotyped. Their inconsistencies are what make them human.

message 18: by Erma (new)

Erma Odrach | 11 comments Chrissie wrote: "For me Dostoevsky"s characters, all of them, are so real b/c they are not ever stereotyped. Their inconsistencies are what make them human."
I agree, even the minor characters such as, for example, the pawnbroker and her sister Lizabeta (C&P)
couldn't have been more real and human. But I still do have my Dostoevsky favorites...

message 19: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 41 comments Erma wrote: "Chrissie wrote: "For me Dostoevsky"s characters, all of them, are so real b/c they are not ever stereotyped. Their inconsistencies are what make them human."
I agree, even the minor characters suc..."

Of course, you just fall for some. I haven't read him for ages. maybe I should pick one up again. With GR I have gone from too little books to read to too many to read......

message 20: by Erma (new)

Erma Odrach | 11 comments Chrissie wrote: "Erma wrote: "Chrissie wrote: "For me Dostoevsky"s characters, all of them, are so real b/c they are not ever stereotyped. Their inconsistencies are what make them human."
I agree, even the minor c..."

From too little books to too many, same goes for me, but somehow have always managed to keep Dost. close at hand. Since joing GR have discovered a lot and have certainly broadened my horizons.

message 22: by Silver (new)

Silver Just finished reading Crime and Punishment, and it was an excellent book.

message 24: by Pauline (new)

Pauline McGonagle (smolenskaya) | 21 comments Omon Ra by Pelevin

message 26: by Caitlyn (new)

Caitlyn (akhmatoval) | 5 comments The Italics Are Mine by Nina Berberova

message 27: by Silver (new)

Silver I just finished The Idiot though I did not think it was as good as other Dostoyevsky books I have read, I still enjoyed it, and it is worth reading.

message 28: by Mark (new)

Mark For fun -- much fun -- try Boris Akunin's mystery series -- Sherlock Holmes meets James Bond meets 19th century Russia.

message 29: by Anna (new)

Anna (lilfox) | 96 comments Mark wrote: "For fun -- much fun -- try Boris Akunin's mystery series -- Sherlock Holmes meets James Bond meets 19th century Russia."

Great books. I've read nearly all book with Erast Fandorin.

message 30: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 41 comments Nicholas and Alexandrais fabulous. Riveting, never dry!

message 31: by Lianne (new)

Lianne (eclecticreading) Silver wrote: "Fathers and Sons by Ivan Turgenev"

Fathers and Sons is hands down my favourite Russian novel from the nineteenth century. I read it for my Imperial Russia course in my undergrad and found it to be quite an accessible read, totally got sucked into the story =)

I'm slowly getting around to Dostoevsky. I read Notes from the Underground in my undergrad and enjoyed reading Crime and Punishment a few years ago. I have Brothers Karamazov and The Idiot waiting for me on my bookshelf; I hope to get around to them this summer =)

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky

message 33: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (MichelleCW) | 11 comments I am a huge fan of classic Russian literature. I read a modern series by a Russian author a few years ago and I absolutely loved it! Any suggestions for modern Russian authors?

message 34: by Daisy (last edited Aug 19, 2013 09:22PM) (new)

Daisy | 18 comments Michelle wrote: "I am a huge fan of classic Russian literature. I read a modern series by a Russian author a few years ago and I absolutely loved it! Any suggestions for modern Russian authors?"

The Dream Life of Sukhanov by Olga Grushin

That's just the first thing that comes to mind. More to follow...

message 35: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (MichelleCW) | 11 comments Awesome. Thank you!

message 36: by Julia (new)

Julia (persik) | 1 comments Michelle wrote: "I am a huge fan of classic Russian literature. I read a modern series by a Russian author a few years ago and I absolutely loved it! Any suggestions for modern Russian authors?"

You can also try Lyudmila Ulitskaya and Tatyana Tolstaya!

message 37: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (MichelleCW) | 11 comments Julia wrote: "Michelle wrote: "I am a huge fan of classic Russian literature. I read a modern series by a Russian author a few years ago and I absolutely loved it! Any suggestions for modern Russian authors?"
..."

Thanks so much. All the suggestions are fabulous!

message 38: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Michelle wrote: "I am a huge fan of classic Russian literature. I read a modern series by a Russian author a few years ago and I absolutely loved it! Any suggestions for modern Russian authors?"

Have you read The Bronze Horseman Trilogy by Paullina Simons yet?

The first book in the series (The Bronze Horseman is set in Russia during World War II.

message 39: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (MichelleCW) | 11 comments Hmmm. No I have not. Sounds interesting though. I'll have to check it out. Thanks

message 40: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 18 comments Michelle wrote: "I am a huge fan of classic Russian literature. I read a modern series by a Russian author a few years ago and I absolutely loved it! Any suggestions for modern Russian authors?"

Oh, right, Andreï Makine. I love his books.

message 41: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (MichelleCW) | 11 comments Thanks a bunch.

message 42: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (MichelleCW) | 11 comments Daisy wrote: "Michelle wrote: "I am a huge fan of classic Russian literature. I read a modern series by a Russian author a few years ago and I absolutely loved it! Any suggestions for modern Russian authors?"
..."

I may actually have one of his books, "The Crime of Olga Arbyelina". I have to look to be sure but that title sounds familiar.

message 43: by Emma (new)

Emma (EkkyP) | 1 comments Try André Kurkov
'Death and the Penguin' - a black comedy, fab read!

message 44: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 18 comments Daisy wrote: "Michelle wrote: "I am a huge fan of classic Russian literature. I read a modern series by a Russian author a few years ago and I absolutely loved it! Any suggestions for modern Russian authors?"
..."

Read this:

Mastering the Art of Soviet Cooking: A Memoir of Food and Longing

message 45: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (MichelleCW) | 11 comments Thanks Daisy.

message 46: by Olga (new)

Olga | 2 comments The Master and Margarita is one of my favourite book of all time. also can recommend Nicolai Gogols books.

Glukhovski Metro 2033 but olny for sf fans. I like it but only first part.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Day Watch (other topics)
The Master and Margarita (other topics)
The Dream Life of Sukhanov (other topics)
Matryona's House And Other Stories (other topics)
Memoirs of a Revolutionary (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Andreï Makine (other topics)
Alexander Pushkin (other topics)
Sergei Lukyanenko (other topics)
Paullina Simons (other topics)