Challenge: 50 Books discussion

*Retired* 2008 Lists > Tina's List

Comments (showing 11-60)    post a comment »

message 59: by Tina (last edited Dec 30, 2008 06:17PM) (new)

Tina | 57 comments I was actually really taken by surprise by the book. I have been reading a lot of Charles DeLint and other urban fantasy type novels, and was expecting that kind of fairies-and-goblins-book. But instead it was a lot deeper. The book starts out a little greusome, describing a man's burns from a horrible car accident, and it's a little dismal. Then, in the hospital, the protagonist meets a really unlikely friend and then the author weaves very beautiful love stories into the book. I think that if you read a summary of the book, you might think it was depressing, but it was actually very uplifting and beautiful in a surprising way. I highly recommend it.
And, as a bonus, the author is on goodreads. I always appreciate being able to talk with an author about his/her book after I've read it.
I hope that helps, thanks for the note!

Victoria How was the Gargoyle?

message 51: by Tina (last edited Dec 11, 2008 09:29PM) (new)

Tina | 57 comments Only one more to go, I never thought I'd read this many books in a year, let alone 10 months!

message 37: by Tina (last edited Sep 16, 2008 06:28PM) (new)

Tina | 57 comments Hi Emily,
I didn't really connect with UE as much as the Namesake. I'm much more of a novel lover rather than short stories, and it was quite a downer. Regardless, it's received great reviews. Let me know what you think.

Emily | 74 comments How was Unaccustomed Earth? I loved her collection of short stories, wasn't terribly impressed with The Namesake? Did you think it was worth the read?

message 22: by Tina (last edited May 20, 2008 10:49PM) (new)

« previous 1