The Life of a Book Addict discussion

Least Favorite Books > My Least Favorite Books!

Comments (showing 551-600 of 618) (618 new)    post a comment »

message 551: by Diana (new)

Diana Gotsch | 195 comments several books come to mind, but two stand out because I read them 40 years ago in College and still remember how much I hated them. Maybe I was to young to fully "get" them.But I'm not going to try again to find out.

Crime and Punishment: I always felt the crime was writing it and the Punishment being forced to read it.

As I lay Dying: It at least had the virtue of being short.

message 552: by NayNay (new)

NayNay | 114 comments My least favorite book is The Lovely Bones

message 553: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (EllieArcher) | 2083 comments I hated The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks. In fact, I've never been able to finish any Sparks. Also, The Da Vinci Code. I read about 25 pages and gave it away-and that was a hard cover! I was so disappointed. I read Twilight and was bored senseless. Couldn't get thru American Psycho or Naked Lunch: too gross (and in Psycho, too horrifying as well). And I like most books, believe it or not!

message 554: by Nancy from NJ, Moderator (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (Nancyk18) | 7901 comments Mod
Ellie wrote: "I hated The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks. In fact, I've never been able to finish any Sparks. Also, The Da Vinci Code. I read about 25 pages and gave it away-an..."

I also disliked Nicholas Sparks' books but enjoyed the movies. Go Figure. But the books I really hated were the Twilight series and The Hunger Games although I never read the last book in the trilogy and doubt I will now.

message 555: by jae! (new)

jae! | 23 comments The worst book I have ever read was Fallen. I wouldn't have read this kind of book but it was a gift. It's a YA about a girl falling in love with an angel, but it was so bad, it was funny. I had to finish it to see how dumb it could get. I also kept updating the person who gave me the book who would apologize every time for its badness. :P

A book I truly hated was The Stranger. You know when it seems like your french teachers don't know why they're making you read a book other than… '' it's a classic'' ( I understand the purposely boring story and characters in the context of this novel… but it just doesn't make me want to read your book Camus… Others call it genius, I call it Boring.)

message 556: by Carol (new)

Carol E. (mngiraffe) I disliked The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch, also The Alchemist by Coelho.. both were trying too hard to be deep, with very little success. Also Heart of Darkness by Conrad. That one gave me the creeps!

message 557: by Carol (new)

Carol E. (mngiraffe) P.S. You won't find me reading any Nicholas Sparks books. Ugh!

message 558: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree, if I read one more time from sparks, "the corded muscles in his forearm..." I want to throw the book. He uses that description of every male in his books. The Notebook was a bad read and I disliked Jodi picoults "humpback whale book" and I couldn't get into "Never let me go". I know the movie helped, but if will probably pick it up again. Reading, unless obvious, is subjective and moody.

Veronica (In love with Patch No Logic Needed) I hated Harry Potter. I can't stand it.

message 560: by Mohamed (new)

Mohamed Azarudeen (azarudeen) I hate Sidney Sheldon Books. All of them

message 561: by [deleted user] (new)

I couldn't understand the Harry potter books, but I'm willing to try it again. Perhaps I'm too much of a realist. I'd like to hear in one sentence why it was so appealing. Maybe its a clique with the youth.

message 562: by Nicole ♥ (new)

Nicole ♥ (NicoleMacKinnon) Definitely Fifty Shades of Grey and Twilight! I couldn't get through either of these book that are suppose to be so fantastically wonderful... I thought just the opposite.

I don't see what the appeal is?

message 563: by Linda (new)

Linda (LNDoyle) | 338 comments I really disliked Catcher in the Rye, both when reading it in high school and again last year. Wanted to strangle Holden Caulfield.

message 564: by Shubhda (new)

Shubhda | 21 comments Twilight It was only focused on Bella and Edward and had no story! :/

message 565: by Joyce H (new)

Joyce H I HATED Eat, Pray, Love Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

It was very self indulgent and too much whining & complaining. As a woman, I just couldn't sympathasize or relate to her. It seemed to me, like she had a perfectly good husband, but they just didn't want the same things.

Maybe if she were a battered woman or was cheated on, I would have felt for her..

message 566: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (APatrick) | 1528 comments Eat Pray Love was definitely terrible.

I also hated Twilight, never read the rest of them.

message 567: by Laura (new)

Laura | 110 comments Carol wrote: "P.S. You won't find me reading any Nicholas Sparks books. Ugh!"

Same here. I read The Notebook and it was so sappy I felt sick afterwards. :p

message 568: by Laura (new)

Laura | 110 comments I tend to dislike books that are too filled with romance or sentimentality, or get into supernatural characters like werewolves and vampires. I had that phase in high school with Anne Rice but not anymore. So I try to stay away from them. Some books I read and wish I hadn't...A Wolf at the Dinner Table by August Burroughs. I got about a third and didn't finish it. This book DRAGGED so horribly and maybe I missed something when I started skimming but while his dad seemed like he might be an ass I couldn't see what the fuss was about.
Little Face by Sophie Hannah. The main character was annoying and I hated the ending. Nothing will wreck a book more than a decent book with a horrible ending.

message 569: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 215 comments Joyce H wrote: "I HATED Eat, Pray, LoveEat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

It was very self indulgent and too much whining & complaining. As a woman, I just couldn't sympathasize or relate to her. It seemed to me,..."

I agree. As someone with wanderlust, was so frustrated by her lack of curiosity about the countries she was in. Was so mad when I finished this book, threw it across the room. Will never read anything else by her.

message 570: by Lory (new)

Lory Sakay | 75 comments Sandy wrote: "Joyce H wrote: "I HATED Eat, Pray, LoveEat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

It was very self indulgent and too much whining & complaining. As a woman, I just couldn't sympathasize or relate to her. ..."

Completely agree.saw Gilbert on a TLC "million dollar shopper" show--cemented my impression of her

message 571: by Kathy, Moderator (new)

Kathy Worrell  ツ  | 5450 comments Mod
Carol wrote: "I disliked The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch, also The Alchemist by Coelho.. both were trying too hard to be deep, with very little success. Also [book:Heart of Darkness|49..."

Aaah, I really liked The Last Lecture. He had such a positive outlook on life.

message 572: by Rusty (last edited Jan 07, 2014 05:20PM) (new)

Rusty | 144 comments Interesting! I disliked The Boy in the Striped Pajamas because I thought the premise was all wrong. How could a child sneak into a well guarded area? Another? Gone Girl but I know that many have liked it. For me, there were so many inconsistencies and the characters were unbelievable. I have avoided Elizabeth Gilbert since Eat, Pray, Love. I did like The Last Lecture. Didn't read Twilight or any of the rest of the series because someone I admire very much said don't bother.

message 573: by Alison (new)

Alison Parry_jones | 405 comments I disliked A Game of Thrones I managed 100 pages and had enough. I couldn't get into the characters at all and each chapter was from a different person's point of view and made it confusing and very heavy going.

message 574: by [deleted user] (new)

The Devil Wears Prada, one of the worst books ever published. Bland writing, self-absorbed characters, ugh. Also, Lady Chatterly's Lover. I pretty much want to take a dead fish and slap every single character across the face.

message 575: by Lory (new)

Lory Sakay | 75 comments Rusty wrote: "Interesting! I disliked The Boy in the Striped Pajamas because I thought the premise was all wrong. How could a child sneak into a well guarded area? Another? [book:Gone Girl|84424..."

I agree wholeheartedly about Gone Girl. I am baffled as to how many people have love it. What's wrong with us? :)

message 576: by Sean (new)

Sean (Dalekbuster523) | 146 comments There was a Jaqueline Wilson book I tried reading once(can't remember what it was called) that I just couldn't get into. It just felt too girly and as a result, I felt kind of alienated from the plot.

message 577: by Tiffany-Jade (new)

Tiffany-Jade | 217 comments The Story of Edgar Sawtelle...and City of Bones. I dislike them so much I contemplate everyday if I should remove them from my bookcase lmao but seriously

message 578: by Tiffany-Jade (new)

Tiffany-Jade | 217 comments Joyce H wrote: "I HATED Eat, Pray, LoveEat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

It was very self indulgent and too much whining & complaining. As a woman, I just couldn't sympathasize or relate to her. It seemed to me,..."

I agrees!! I thought she was very selfish

message 579: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 116 comments I really don't get the humour in any of Marian Keyes books..... I have read a few , only because they were lent to me... seriously though, I don't know why I bothered after the first one. She tries too hard to be funny and really she's not !

message 580: by [deleted user] (new)

Alice Hoffman 's The River King, The Notebook
by Nicholas Sparks & Gone Girl. ( The ending was obvious ).

message 581: by Robby (new)

Robby (Paw-Paw7) | 6 comments The Mosquito Coast: A very dry read; but the movie with Harrison Ford - not so bad.

message 582: by Nancy from NJ, Moderator (new)

Carol wrote: "P.S. You won't find me reading any Nicholas Sparks books. Ugh!"

Amen to that. I remember reading The Notebook and really diliking it especially the end. But I thought the movie was quite good. And to be fair to any author, I always read a couple of more books by them to fully make up my mind. And I did just that with Sparks and finally said no more.

message 583: by Nancy from NJ, Moderator (new)

Lisa wrote: "Alice Hoffman 's The River King, The Notebook
by Nicholas Sparks & Gone Girl. ( The ending was obvious )."

oh no Alice Hoffman is one of my very fave author although I must admit that I really disliked The Dovekeepers.

I am currently reading The Poisonwood Bible and am trudging through it. I'm up to page 200 and wish I could say I like this book but so far I don't. I am going to persevere till the end although I don't know why.

message 584: by Nancy from NJ, Moderator (new)

Tiffany-Jade wrote: "Joyce H wrote: "I HATED Eat, Pray, LoveEat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

It was very self indulgent and too much whining & complaining. As a woman, I just couldn't sympathasize or relate to her. ..."

And I loved this book- See, itt akes all kinds and all sorts of opinions.

message 585: by Bgodfrey34 (new)

Bgodfrey34 | 51 comments The Catcher in the Rye. I had to read that book 3 separate times for different schools. I read it in high school and twice in college. I disliked the book every time. I could not stand Holden. I honestly hope that I NEVER have to read that book again!

message 586: by Linda (new)

Linda (LNDoyle) | 338 comments Bgodfrey34 wrote: "The Catcher in the Rye. I had to read that book 3 separate times for different schools. I read it in high school and twice in college. I disliked the book every time. I could not stand Holden. ..."

You and me both!

message 587: by Jennifer Lynn (new)

Jennifer Lynn (jenn721) | 3 comments There are not many books that I end up hating so much that I just quit reading. Usually I just finish the book to at least see if it gets better. Worse books ever for me were "Casual Vacancy" and "Heart of Darkness". I know Heart of Darkness is a classic but I just could not get into it.

message 588: by Ruchi (last edited Feb 10, 2014 12:46AM) (new)

Ruchi Oh Shit Not again, The Alchemist

Two books I hate the most.

message 589: by Ruchi (last edited Feb 10, 2014 01:13AM) (new)

Ruchi Yvonne wrote: "There are many books that I didn't care for (not hate exactly, just found dull), and those books are usualy found on those lists. You know the ones. The top 100 books of the century, the ten most i..."

The first three books you mentioned are classics! And you hated them....:) I hated Bourne Supremacy too....actually didn't read it, I too gave up on the first chapter.

message 590: by Chris (new)

Chris Wallace | 163 comments NayNay wrote: "My least favorite book is The Lovely Bones"

I agree with you. I tried to read another book by the same author and it was just as bad.

message 591: by Nada (new)

Nada Al-Karmi (Nadooush) Honestly, The Hunger Games series. I read the 1st book & hated it. I couldn't go through the 2nd one. Katniss was sooooo irritating. I was able to tolerate Bella from Twilight more that Katniss which is a surprise on its own.

message 592: by Karen (new)

Karen Pennington | 15 comments One of my least favorite, The Poisonwood Bible, by Barbara Kingsolver. I should have taken a hint when it was one of Oprahs picks! For the most part if she likes it, I don't. I have nothing against Oprah, just the books she picks. My name is Karen , I'm a new member and live in NC. Hi to everyone.

message 593: by Nada (new)

Nada Al-Karmi (Nadooush) Hi Karen. I never heard of this book & now thnx to u, I'm gonna keep it that way ;p

message 594: by William (new)

William Yang (WillYangTheReader) I did not like 2001: A Space Odyssey. I just did not get the plot.

message 595: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (RachieRoo13) | 36 comments The catcher in the rye by j d Salinger. Eugh. Never again.

message 596: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (APatrick) | 1528 comments a few that I either hated or couldn't even get through-

Catcher in the Rye
Eat Pray Love
Fifty Shades of Grey
Dreamcatcher
Under the Dome
Marriage Plot

message 597: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (RachieRoo13) | 36 comments Eat pray live the film was pretty dismal in my opinion so I can imagine the book wasn't that great!

message 598: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (RachieRoo13) | 36 comments 'Love' not live.

message 599: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (RachieRoo13) | 36 comments And yet reviews can be so high for it, I just don't get it.

message 600: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (RachieRoo13) | 36 comments Hmmmm, yes I think you're right. If I don't like the first 4 chapters I won't continue to read it. The only exception to that rule of mine was the catcher in the rye because I didn't know what all the fuss was about and it's supposed to be a classic. I don't think it should be though. Serious waste of paper and room in the book shelf =p

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (other topics)
The Catcher in the Rye (other topics)
Great Expectations (other topics)
Netherland (other topics)
White Teeth (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Aldous Huxley (other topics)
Yann Martel (other topics)
John Baxter (other topics)
Charles Dickens (other topics)
Anita Shreve (other topics)
More...