Goodreads Feedback discussion

Suggestions & Questions > [HOW-TO]Quick options for < b > and etc.

Comments (showing 1-50 of 71) (71 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Ellie [The Empress] (last edited Jul 11, 2013 09:46AM) (new)

Ellie [The Empress] (The_Empress) | 1822 comments This post has been edited after I requested this option.

* rivka wrote: "For those who use Firefox, you might enjoy the BBCodeXtra extension."

* Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Based on Rivka's suggestion in #3 above, I found a Chrome programmer who has replicated that extension."

* You can report a bug for the CHROME app HERE but I think Piet is still working on the app.

In a bug report it is very helpful to write:
* what you do
* what you expect
* what the result was.

All that follows is about the CHROME extension

*Update: In Chrome v28 the tags work in the edit form of the message WITHOUT reloading a page. The shortcuts work as well

FORMATTING A TEXT:

BOLD <strong>; UNDERLINED <U>; ITALIC <em>; STRIKE <S>

How to use:
* Select the text you have typed and choose the appropriate option
OR
* Choose the option from the submenu and then type the text between the tags.

Example:
<B><U> This is going to be bold and underlined text </B></U>

GENERAL FAQ - from Piet

All the tags work as follows:
* If nothing is selected, you get the empty tag, and the caret (cursor) is inserted at the position most logically.
* If something was selected, it will be part of the inserted text, at some location and the complete inserted text is selected.

The <a> tag - there are two options:

<a>
* If you type an URL like: http://www.goodreads.com select this text and select the < a > menu option of 'bbCode Insert' you get the following text replacing the selection:

<a href=prompt>
If you like to see a description of the link instead of the URL, do the following:

* Type the URL: http://www.goodreads.com
* Type the description on a new line: "A nice site about reading books"
* Select the URL and with CTRL-X put it in the clipboard. (Or copy from address bar)
* Select the description text and use the '<aa href=prompt>' menu option of 'bbCode Insert'.
A dialog box is launched asking for the URL of the link. Leave it empty or enter a URL. To get the URL you put in the clipboard use CTRL-V [paste].
* You get the following result:
<a href="http://www.goodreads.com" > A nice site about reading books </a>

The <pre> tag

All text between a <pre> tag has to be taken literal.
The font chosen for a pre tag is a monospace font by definition/default, like Courier.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, yes please!

message 3: by rivka, librarian moderator (new)

rivka | 11495 comments Mod
For those who use Firefox, you might enjoy the BBCodeXtra extension.

message 4: by Ellie [The Empress] (last edited Jul 04, 2013 08:20AM) (new)

Ellie [The Empress] (The_Empress) | 1822 comments rivka wrote: "For those who use Firefox, you might enjoy the BBCodeXtra extension."

Lovely, will be looking into it now.

P.S. Thank you for locking the other topic. It's weird I can still edit my comments. Is this normal?

Edit. Found this one for the Chrome users doesn't really work [b]test[/b]

Ellie [The Empress] (The_Empress) | 1822 comments testing in Firefox It works :]

message 6: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) | 420 comments I think this would be a great idea, too. I use IE9, and I would like buttons for text.

message 7: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1730 comments Ellie the chrome one has the wrong symbols on the B - that could be why...

I remember a convo asking abt this a year of so ago but GR said no due in part the issues with those shortcut ones like the WYSIWYG...

Ellie [The Empress] (The_Empress) | 1822 comments Dee wrote: "Ellie the chrome one has the wrong symbols on the B - that could be why...

I remember a convo asking abt this a year of so ago but GR said no due in part the issues with those shortcut ones like t..."

Yes, it uses the [] brackets. The FF one has all and you can choose to remove the ones you don't need and I already added customizable tags. You can have link by inserting the selected text (if it is a link) or by inserting the clipboard, and added the quote tag and ... that is why I love FF!

message 9: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1730 comments In all my experience using HTML I have never seen [] brackets used for features like bolding etc and I used to help our web developers at work with stuff - the square brackets are more like SQL commands

message 10: by Monique (new)

Monique (Kadiya) | 183 comments Right. The brackets are for BBCode, not HTML. That's why it doesn't work here.

Ellie [The Empress] (The_Empress) | 1822 comments Monique wrote: "Right. The brackets are for BBCode, not HTML. That's why it doesn't work here."

I know. It was just the closest thing that I found for chrome. If anyone knows a better one or can make one, let me know :]

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 9738 comments Based on Rivka's suggestion in #3above, I found a Chrome programmer who has replicated that extension. I have not yet tested all of the codes (like the a href), but what I have tested works:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/de...

bold is listed as "strong" and italics as "ems". He has a feedback page at:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/su...

I have asked him to add strikethrough, underscore, and our spoiler tag.

Ellie [The Empress] (The_Empress) | 1822 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "I found a Chrome programmer who has replicated that extension."

I LOVE YOU! AND HIM!

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 9738 comments :-)

I think there are still some things to work out with this. He volunteered for the project, so he will make it good for us, I think.

message 15: by MrsJoseph (new)

MrsJoseph | 1917 comments You know, I get scared that using the [] will assist me in forgetting the current amount of html I use. And then I'll be SoL when its time to format my blog...

Ellie [The Empress] (The_Empress) | 1822 comments I am waiting for my google profile (changed name to be approved) so I can review the app.

Tags I don't see but use are:
< i >
< u >
< br >
& bnsp ;

And since there are a lot of them maybe an option to customize, remove or at least re-arrange so the ones we use can be on top.

message 17: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Jul 08, 2013 10:49AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 9738 comments Ellie [The Empress] wrote: "I am waiting for my google profile (changed name to be approved) so I can review the app.

Tags I don't see but use are:
< i >
"

That is the < em > one. But it's stopped working for me, so maybe he's working on it.

message 18: by Piet (new)

Piet (p_de_v) | 20 comments I have uploaded a new version. bbCodeInsert is now on version 0.2.3.
The b and i tags where added using the plugin.

@Ellie: According to the "some html is ok" the <br/> and &nbsp; are not "ok".

If there is a more complete list please let me know.

message 19: by Ellie [The Empress] (last edited Jul 08, 2013 11:36AM) (new)

Ellie [The Empress] (The_Empress) | 1822 comments Piet wrote: "I have uploaded a new version. bbCodeInsert is now on version 0.2.3.

@Ellie: According to the "some html is ok" the and   are not "ok".

If the..."

They are ok, because you can use them. The ones that are not o.k. simply will not work.
As you can see             it is ok.

P.S. Thank you for the program. :]

Edit: The ok and not ok tips in the "some HTML is ok" are guides for people to arrange the tags correctly. If a tag works, it is ok. The ones I've tried and do not work are for formatting font type and size. I use in messages and posts br and bnsp all the time. But if you do not want to add them that is ok. I'ms till very grateful for the plugin (((hugs)))

message 20: by Monique (new)

Monique (Kadiya) | 183 comments Fantastic extension. Thank you so much. :)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 9738 comments Piet wrote: "I have uploaded a new version. bbCodeInsert is now on version 0.2.3.

@Ellie: According to the "some html is ok" the and   are not "ok".

If the..."

The added Goodreads menu is wonderful! Thank you!

message 22: by Piet (new)

Piet (p_de_v) | 20 comments If most HTML tags are allowed, it would be good to have a short list of not allowed HTML. But that means that most or all of the tags in the HTML submenu from bbCodeInsert are allowed. If you look at the HTML code of Goodreads page they use HTML5. In HTML5 the <b> and <i> tags are not allowed. But most browsers still allow them. The alternatives are <strong> and <em>. The tag was already deprecated in HTML4, that has to be done by CSS. Looking at the CSS file used I try the class bigText with a span. This uses relative sizing, other CSS classes use fixed font sizes, not recommneded. People with vision impairments have a big problem reading these texts. For section headings try the <h1> .. <h6> tags.

h1
h2
h3

The <br/> tag is not needed because any line ending from the comment area is converted to the <br> tag. But better it is to use the <p> tag to enclose text.

The &nbsp; can also be achieved by using the Unicode alternative " ", The character in between the "" chars (&#160;). And for large portions of text with indenting by space use the <pre> tag (pre-formatted text) Like the next example, no &nbsp;

This text uses
different indents
on the line

message 23: by Piet (new)

Piet (p_de_v) | 20 comments The bigtext class and the h1..h6 tags do not work.
The pre tag works.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 9738 comments Piet - the items in either menu aren't working for me.

message 25: by Monique (new)

Monique (Kadiya) | 183 comments I'm pretty sure that HTML4 is what is still used for the text areas. I don't think they were updated in the same way. Or at least the guidance for using HTML in the text areas has not been updated to reflect HTML5 usage in them.

message 26: by Ellie [The Empress] (last edited Jul 08, 2013 03:13PM) (new)

Ellie [The Empress] (The_Empress) | 1822 comments

Piet wrote: "The < br > tag is not needed because any line ending from the comment area is converted to the < br > tag. But better it is to use the < p > tag to enclose text."

I sometimes use it to leave lines BEFORE the paragraph so that I will align book covers bellow each other and I want the text to start bellow my avatar. < p > doesn't do the job

Thanks for the  160;, can I still use the nbsp? I'm used to it and for me is quicker. 
(that pre is weird but I can see why it can be functional, it's not what I use the nbsp for though.)

message 27: by Mummy (new)

Mummy (PetraX) | 5102 comments I don't understand hardly any of it. I added the extension but three menus with all sorts of stuff on I couldn't really get to grips with. I thought it was specific to Goodreads, but only one of the menus seems to be.

Unless this meant to appeal only to those who know html anyway, then it would be nice to have a page which explains what the different menus and commands are al about.

message 28: by Ellie [The Empress] (last edited Jul 08, 2013 06:00PM) (new)

Ellie [The Empress] (The_Empress) | 1822 comments @Piet the blockquote, url, spoiler and img tags are not working at the moment but I guess you are still working on it. Again I cannot thank you enough.

Petra X, These are just a shortcut for something that is available. From where you can add author/book if you click on (some html is ok) you will see those same tags (options), but you have to either use copy-paste or type them (which is what I usually do), which takes a looooot of time.

If you want to format text you have few options:

BOLD < B >; UNDERLINED < U >; ITALIC < I >

How to use:
* Select the text you have typed and choose the appropriate option
OR
* Choose the option from the submenu and then type the text between the tags.

Example:
< b > < u > This is going to be bold and underlined text < / u > < / b >

message 29: by Mummy (new)

Mummy (PetraX) | 5102 comments I can bold, underline, make italic and strike out text very simply without needing a program for it. That would just add time. However there were an awful lot of other commands on the three different menus that I did not know anything about and it is those that I am interested in.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 9738 comments Petra X wrote: "I can bold, underline, make italic and strike out text very simply without needing a program for it. That would just add time. However there were an awful lot of other commands on the three differ..."

This is an external plug-in for Chrome that you can choose to use if it meets your needs. The programmer is not affiliated with GR. It was adapted from the Firefox plug-in that Rivka mentioned in Post #3, in which I suspect were also a lot of extra codes we don't use on this site.

message 31: by Erin (Paperback stash) *is juggle-reading* (last edited Jul 08, 2013 06:53PM) (new)

Erin (Paperback stash) *is juggle-reading* (ErinPaperbackstash) | 1305 comments rivka wrote: "For those who use Firefox, you might enjoy the BBCodeXtra extension."

In installed it and it says it's active but I can't see it anywhere? The screenshots on the page are pretty small for me.

message 32: by Piet (new)

Piet (p_de_v) | 20 comments I started this extension last friday. I did not had time to write a manual page. For a quick manual see my reply to a question from Elizabeth on the extension User Feedback.

A very short manual.
You access the extension by using the context menu (RightMouse-Click or Ctrl-MouseClick (on Mac).
Choose one of the menu options and see the result. The bbCode and vBulletin submenu do not apply for this site but for forums that use BBCode.

If you select text before selecting a menu option, this text will be part of the result. And the complete result is selected to apply a different menu option.
Sometimes you are asked a question, you can leave it blank or give a sensible answer. Just try any of the menu options of the Goodreads group. Experiment.

Or see the very very short manual Ellie has written comment #28.

Does anybody have it working?

If the bug report is: "It's not working". Is not very helpful to try and reproduce the error.

In a bug report it is very helpful to write:
* what you do
* what you expect
* what the result was.
* what is your OS and version of the extension.
There could be a lot of difference with Win-Linux-Mac Browser.

Please use the extension User Feedback if possible. It enables me to track and comment each individual bug report, feature request and general question.

At the moment I'm adding shortcut keys to speed up the usage, and handling user comments.

message 33: by Piet (new)

Piet (p_de_v) | 20 comments Monique wrote: "I'm pretty sure that HTML4 is what is still used for the text areas ...."

I will try out some tags below

b
strong
i
em
blockquote

u
s
bus

message 34: by Piet (new)

Piet (p_de_v) | 20 comments Ellie [The Empress] wrote:
I sometimes use it to leave lines BEFORE the paragraph so that I will align book covers bellow each other and I want the text to start below my avatar. < p > doesn't do the job

Can you give me a link to a page where you applied this technique so I can see what you want to achieve and might find a more HTML way of doing it.

message 35: by Piet (new)

Piet (p_de_v) | 20 comments Ellie [The Empress] wrote: (that pre is weird but I can see why it can be functional, it's not what I use the nbsp for though.)

All text between a pre tag has to be taken literal. Every space character is treated as an &nbsp;.
Every line ending is treated as a <br> tag.
The font chosen for a pre tag is a monospace font by definition/default, like Courier.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 9738 comments Piet wrote: "I started this extension last friday. I did not had time to write a manual page. For a quick manual see my reply to a question from Elizabeth on the extension User Feedback.

A very short manual.
Y..."

The response in the chrome feedback thread was great. I thought I probably didn't know how to use it, so "it didn't work" was the best I could do at that point.

message 37: by rivka, librarian moderator (new)

rivka | 11495 comments Mod
Erin wrote: "rivka wrote: "For those who use Firefox, you might enjoy the BBCodeXtra extension."

In installed it and it says it's active but I can't see it anywhere? The screenshots on the page are pretty smal..."

Erin, try right-clicking in a reply box. Do you have menu options for bbcodeXtra and htmlXtra?

message 38: by Piet (new)

Piet (p_de_v) | 20 comments bbCodeInsert 0.2.4 has shortcut keys for all Goodreads menu options.

You can use the shortcut keys after you have used a bbCodeInsert menu option by mouse or 'regular' keyboard navigation (Context key and arrow keys). For the <a href=prompt> the prompt is disabled and set to an empty string. This is due to a bug in Chrome.

message 39: by Piet (last edited Jul 09, 2013 02:51AM) (new)

Piet (p_de_v) | 20 comments shortcut keys "manual"

A shortcut key consists of two CTRL-Key combo's.
The first is always CTRL-B, the second depends on the action chosen.

When shortcut keys are possible use it for example to make text bold and italic.

Select your text.
Press the following keys, no need to release the CTRL key in between
CTRL+B CTRL+B CTRL+B CTRL+I
or in short notation
CTRL+BBBI

There is no faster way to enclose your text in matching tag pairs.

Have a look at the bbCodeInsert menu to see the shortcut keys for each option.

Ellie [The Empress] (The_Empress) | 1822 comments Piet wrote: "All text between a pre tag has to be taken literal. Every space char..."

Oh, Ok, so it might actually work for me. Otherwise this is an example of what I mean. I just get anal for those covers not being aligned properly but Thing the pre will do the job. I wasn't sure what it does.

P.S. I can extend the short manual in post 28 to the links and images. Or I can actually post all in post N.1 so it is easily accessible for people that will be reading this topic. Including links.

Piet will the shortcut keys work here?

Ellie [The Empress] (The_Empress) | 1822 comments I found out a bug but this might be related to chrome. The tags in the GR sub-menu are not working when I am editing a message. Anyone else having this?

What I do - select text, choose a tag, but no tag is placed. The text is left unformatted.

Ellie [The Empress] (The_Empress) | 1822 comments Piet how do you post the < br > as a text. Code and script don't seem to work. Do you use < pre >?

message 43: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Jul 09, 2013 07:15AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 9738 comments Couldn't get tags last evening, will try again and again and again. Yippee! Will work on the href prompt Her Privates We - which works also. I'm really glad of that last one - terrific!

message 44: by Ellie [The Empress] (last edited Jul 09, 2013 07:16AM) (new)

Ellie [The Empress] (The_Empress) | 1822 comments I don't know. I noticed they stop working when I try to edit a message. If it s a new message, they work.

message 45: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Jul 09, 2013 07:18AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 9738 comments Ellie [The Empress] wrote: "I found out a bug but this might be related to chrome. The tags in the GR sub-menu are not working when I am editing a message. Anyone else having this?

What I do - select text, choose a tag, but..."

That is what was happening to me yesterday. It seems to work for me this morning. I think the problems may be when Piet is working on code. Or I'm bonkers, one of them.

Oops - spoke too soon - I thought I edited my comment above, but you're right, it doesn't seem to work in edit mode.

message 46: by Derek (Guilty of thoughtcrime) (last edited Jul 09, 2013 08:11AM) (new)

Derek (Guilty of thoughtcrime) (derek_broughton) | 580 comments Piet wrote: "If most HTML tags are allowed, it would be good to have a short list of not allowed HTML. But that means that most or all of the tags in the HTML submenu from bbCodeInsert are allowed. If you look ..."

Piet, I think the HTML tags that are allowed are pretty well all as given (<br/> is an obvious exception). I haven't found much else. But I have yet to find an entity that isn't supported.

Ellie, to get angle brackets (<) to display, type "&lt;" (html entities always begin with & and end with ;) You only need to do this with the left bracket - the right one can be just >, as it has no HTML meaning unless preceded by a left bracket.

Ellie [The Empress] (The_Empress) | 1822 comments Derek wrote: "Ellie, to get angle brackets (<) to display, type "<" (html entities always begin with & and end with ;) You only need to do this with the left bracket - the right one can be just >, as it has no HTML meaning unless preceded by a left bracket. "

Thank you. <a>. Great ;)

Derek (Guilty of thoughtcrime) (derek_broughton) | 580 comments I got BBCode Insert to work exactly once. I can't get the shortcut keys to work again. The bolding above was done from the menu, but no ctrl-B sequence is doing anything (and ctrl-B followed by ctrl-S or ctrl-U is trying to Save or View Source: ie, what you'd expect without the ctrl-B).

message 49: by Piet (new)

Piet (p_de_v) | 20 comments Derek wrote: "but no ctrl-B sequence is doing anything (and ctrl-B followed by ctrl-S or ctrl-U is trying to Save or View Source"

Derek what is your used platform. I have tested it on Windows XP. On my platform a CTRL+B CTRL+N results in a new window.
(Tech Talk follows) The shortcut keys use a hook in the key event handling. It depends on where the default key action is programmed. Some shortcuts can't be seen by a hook routine because they are processed before the hook chain has a chance to look at the key. Others are handled after the hook chain of the UI widget that has the focus, if none of the hooks reports it as processed.

I have the impression that there is a small difference in the Chrome versions for platforms.

I will look into if it is possible for the extension to determine the platform it runs on, or I have to make the shortcut keys configurable, the prefix (CTRL+B) and the follow-up keys.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 9738 comments Piet - I am using Chrome on Win7.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread