The Next Best Book Club discussion

Newbies Corner > Just joined and can't decide what to read

Comments (showing 1-15 of 15) (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by shyla (new)

shyla (theabsurdist) | 4 comments I just finished Jonathan Stange and Mr. Norrell. I am not usually a fantasy reader so it was a nice little adventure to take. So now I am back to my usual books and can't decide what to start today:
Written on the Body, Jeanette Winterson
The Secret Life of Bees, Sue Monk Kidd
Or, something else entirely. Any suggestions.

message 2: by El (new)

El Welcome Shyla!
I haven't read the Winterson or the Kidd book so I can't give much recommendation there, but what other sorts of books do you like to read? You say you're not usually a fantasy reader, so do you have a different genre you prefer?

message 3: by Petra (new)

Petra Welcome, Shyla!
A book I always recommend it A Prayer for Owen Meany. Perhaps that would interest you?
Or how about a Bryce Courtenay book? I'd recommend Brother Fish. It's my favorite of his but his others are so very, very good. too.

message 4: by Anna (new)

Anna Shumaker (Annashu) I really enjoyed The Secret Life of Bees and I haven't read Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell but it seems very long, so if you want something light I'd go with Kidd.

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 636 comments I read The Secret Life of Bees..it was a good one!

I also loved recently:

The Book Thief & Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

message 6: by GracieKat (new)

GracieKat (LovecraftLass) | 864 comments I just finished Never Let Me Go by Kizuo Ishiguro and I really enjoyed it.

message 7: by Atishay (new)

Atishay | 1451 comments Welcome Shyla!
Ummm.. Secret Life of Bees is good. I haven't tried the other one.
I'm reading Black Book by Orhan Pamuk. It's pretty good.

message 8: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) Hi Shyla, Welcome.

I liked "Bees" a lot, gets off to a slow start, but turns into a nice gentle story with a lot of really nice characters. I haven't read the other one either.

message 9: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (TNBBC) | 9384 comments Mod
Hi Shyla, welcome! There are tons of great reads out there.... good luck picking one, I never know which to start :)

message 10: by shyla (new)

shyla (theabsurdist) | 4 comments I absolutely loved Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, it made me happy in a sad sort of way.
the Book thief is definitely on my to-read shelf. I have heard a lot of good things about it.
Thanks for your response.

Jamie wrote: "I read The Secret Life of Bees..it was a good one!

I also loved recently:

The Book Thief & Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close"

message 11: by shyla (new)

shyla (theabsurdist) | 4 comments Thanks ya'll for all your responses and suggestions. I will let you all know when I pick one.

message 12: by shyla (new)

shyla (theabsurdist) | 4 comments All right, I thinks time to finish "Go Tell It on the Mountain". I will hit you all up again when I am stuck.

message 13: by Kym (new)

Kym From one Fantasy reader to another I would suggest reading Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson.

message 14: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Another well-loved book around here is The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. Definitely check it out!

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Syla!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A Prayer for Owen Meany (other topics)
Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell (other topics)
The Secret Life of Bees (other topics)
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (other topics)
The Book Thief (other topics)
More...