The Sword and Laser discussion

The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #1)
This topic is about The Name of the Wind
The Kingkiller Chronicles > Name of the Wind & Seven Words

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maclurker (last edited Jun 30, 2013 07:59PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Maclurker | 39 comments I’ve been reading “The Name of the Wind” by Patrick Rothfuss and I just finished Chapter 36 “Less Talents”. This is where (view spoiler) I think Elodin says it again later, but I haven't read to that point yet.

Anyway, this triggered a memory of Babylon 5 (one of my favorite sci-fi TV series; so naturally I have the dialog memorized). I was sure I had heard something similar before. Looking it up, I found the source in episode 3 “The Geometry of Shadows” of Season 2. The Techno-mage Elric says to Sheridan: (view spoiler)

J. Michael Straczynski wrote these lines in 1994 while “The Name of the Wind” was published in 2007. Now were he and Rothfuss paraphrasing from a common source? Or was Rothfuss inspired by Elric’s words? Is it simply synchronicity? Does anybody know?

And is Rothfuss to be commended for his economy in taking half as long as Straczynski?

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments Maclurker wrote: "I’ve been reading “The Name of the Wind” by Patrick Rothfuss and I just finished Chapter 36 “Less Talents”. This is where [spoilers removed] I think Elodin says it again later, but I haven't read t..."

I am fairly certain that it is just a coincidence. And not even a major one at that. The idea of magic words or potions used to cause infatuation are not that original. As much as I love B-5 and The Kvothe series so far I doubt there is any connection between the two.

And now I am considering a B-5 rewatch. I haven't done it in years and really love that show.

message 3: by Darren (last edited Jul 13, 2013 08:45AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Darren | 482 comments Published in 2007 but written a long time before, largely. Wouldn't surprise me to hear of a connection. I like when authors put in little shout outs to their influences. Would not surprise me if it was a coincidence, either, or if both quotes reference some third instance of "words to make a woman love you".

Also, those are not spoilers.

Casey Hampton (caseyhampton) | 652 comments In WMF we learn what those seven words are. But I think seven and three are numbers that are almost communally accepted as magical or noteworthy. That being said, I'd guess it to be coincidental but I could easily be wrong. Rothfuss strikes me as a pretty original sort of guy (i.e.) not prone to borrowing other people's material.

I keep thinking I need to watch B-5. Just haven't got there yet.

message 5: by Micah (last edited Jul 13, 2013 07:26PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments Casey wrote: "I keep thinking I need to watch B-5. Just haven't got there yet. "

When you do just remember that the graphics were ahead of their time for TV and also that the first season should be watched with the understsnding that it gets better. Much much better.

Kevin | 622 comments Casey wrote: "In WMF we learn what those seven words are. But I think seven and three are numbers that are almost communally accepted as magical or noteworthy. That being said, I'd guess it to be coincidental ..."

"Borrowing other's people materials" not really no, but paying homage to people and things he admires? That's definitely something Rothfuss would do.

Example: (I got the quotes from the Rothfussians Goodreads group.)

This line is from Peter S. Beagle's The Last Unicorn; Schmendrick says:
"I'll stuff you full of misery until it comes out your ears. I'll change your heart into green grass, and all you love into sheep. I'll turn you into a bad poet with dreams."

This line is from the Name of the Wind:
"I'll turn you into butter on a summer's day. I'll turn you into a poet with the soul of a priest. I'll fill you with lemon custard and push you out a window."

Rothfuss has said that this is an intentional parallel.

Skip | 507 comments The seven words are like the name of the wind, they change for every woman in every situation. Kvothe always says just seven words to Denna when he is just being himself. One example from WMF is(view spoiler)

unread topics | mark unread