Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

Anne of Green Gables (Anne of Green Gables, #1)
This topic is about Anne of Green Gables
Book Club Discussions > May: Anne of Green Gables by L. M Montgomery (NO spoilers)

Comments (showing 1-50 of 50) (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Fiona (bookcoop) Discuss this book here. If you have already read it you can discuss spoilers in the other discussion folder but please leave this one unspoiled.

JG (The Introverted Reader) I'm not seeing the spoiler thread. Am I blind?

Fiona (bookcoop) It's not here, if you want to talk spoilers you can use the other Anne thread (in classics folder) I don't see the point in having two topics for Anne.

Or would you like one?

Jackie (TheNightOwl) I just bought this at the library sale this weekend. I need Allison to celebrate with me! /^/^/^/^/^/^/^

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) Jackie wrote: "I just bought this at the library sale this weekend. I need Allison to celebrate with me! /^/^/^/^/^/^/^"

*sloppy kisses* to Jackie :D I'm so excited. Tell me when you start it!!!

Lisa Julianna (LisaJulianna) Hey I bought my copy at a library sale on Thursday too. hehe!!!

April (booksandwine) | 312 comments I love these books! Where is everyone so far? Has anybody started it? What do you think of Anne's antics??

Misty | 1505 comments This was my absolute favorite book for a big chunk of my life, and it still has a special place in my heart. I have honestly read it so many times, I can practically quote it. Hope everyone enjoys.

Natalee (nataleem00) | 459 comments I just started reading it last night but I love how dramatic she is. Everything is soooo tragic, like her red hair....but freckles are ok. Ha! Love it.

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 719 comments I loved this book, but I just finished it on 4/20... I don't really want to read it again so soon. It was adorable though!

Tahleen | 229 comments I love this book so much. One of my favorites! It brings me back to my childhood haha. I think I probably made up names for places in my backyard like Anne did.

Natalee (nataleem00) | 459 comments I keep finding myself wanting to highlight certain passages and phrases. I keep thinking "I love that! I need to remember that!".

Kristen | 1046 comments I've never read this, but I'm excited to. I borrowed it from the library, but haven't started it yet.

Heather (hsditto) Natalee wrote: "I keep finding myself wanting to highlight certain passages and phrases. I keep thinking "I love that! I need to remember that!"."

Natalee, I felt the very same way when I read it! There are so many wonderful passages that I think I would have ended up coloring my book yellow :)

I remember being surprised by the writing too...I wasn't expecting it to be so descriptive and lyrical. I love, love, love this book! It's so heart warming.

Laura (apenandzen) Wow, you all are really making me want to move on to Anne of Avonlea. I love how interesting this book is, while also having a "G" rating. I am a HUGE fan of these kinds of books, because I believe readers should have good choices in the "G" rated category.

Heather (hsditto) I agree, Laura!

I'm working Anne of Avonlea into my challenge....I can't wait to read it and the rest of the series!!!

Laura (apenandzen) OOhh, let me know what you think!

Heather (hsditto) Definitely :)

Karey (KareyShane) | 77 comments I'm thrilled to see Anne of Green Gables on this month's reading list! I looked for it at the library a few months ago and every single one of the series was checked out. I may have to buy a copy.

One of my favorite book series ever. It reminds me of a long winter in Montreal years ago, when my kids were young as I laughed hysterically at Anne's antics.

Tahleen | 229 comments So what about the covers on your books? I really like mine, it's an illustration of when Anne is walking on the roof. I think, for books that have been such an important part of your childhood, that book covers are just as important. At least they are for me, and if I've had the books for a long time. It's the same for my copy of Jane Eyre, I've had it since 7th grade and I love it.

JG (The Introverted Reader) This is one of the few movie covers that I have that I don't mind. I read it and fell in love with it after I'd seen the movie, so I don't mind seeing the movie Anne on the cover. That was what she looked like in my head anyway.

Anne of Green Gables (Bantam Starfire Book) by L.M. Montgomery

Natalee (nataleem00) | 459 comments My cover isnt listed in GR but it has Anne leaning over about to pick up a chicken (??). Plus its a ginormous (technical term!) paperback - 440+ pages.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) Laura wrote: "OOhh, let me know what you think!"

I adore the entire series, but Anne of Avonlea is probably my least favorite...but you have to read it so you can read Anne of the Island!!! It is wonderful and good things happen :)

Jessica (jess0702) I think once you're hooked on Anne, you just have to read the whole series. I remember wanting to be her after I read the first book in 3rd grade, and I dressed up as Anne for our literary characters costume day :)

Tahleen | 229 comments Jessica, I remember getting so excited when I found out there were sequels. But for some reason I never got farther than partway through Anne of Ingleside.

Jessica (jess0702) I never had either, but then a few summers ago I had an internship at which I ended up with a ton of free time on my hands, and I found a website that had the whole series online, so I read through the whole thing as I sat there with nothing to do.

Allison (pinksonia) | 16 comments This was my favorite series as a child (and is way up there even now). My parents even took us to PEI when I was ten on what they called "The Great Anne Pilgrimage" because I was so obsessed. I did the whole bit: dressing up for Halloween, watching the movies constantly, I even subscribed to the magazine for a while.

Heather (hsditto) Allison, that is SO cool! I love that "The Great Anne Pilgrimage". One of these days I'm going to visit PEI and I may never come back home. Did it look as beautiful as in the movies?

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) Heather wrote: "Allison, that is SO cool! I love that "The Great Anne Pilgrimage". One of these days I'm going to visit PEI and I may never come back home. Did it look as beautiful as in the movies?"

I'm going with you!! hehe, I know some people that went there, they didn't even particularly care for Anne, just to see the sights and they RAVE about it all the time.

Heather (hsditto) Just say the word and we're outta here!!!

Tahleen | 229 comments ...there was a magazine?

Alexis (alexabexis) | 422 comments Tahleen wrote: "So what about the covers on your books?"

I picked this up in the library a few days ago and found a new edition with a cover by Lauren Childs, who does the "Charlie and Lola" and "Clarice Bean" books.

Tahleen | 229 comments Alexis wrote: "Tahleen wrote: "So what about the covers on your books?"

I picked this up in the library a few days ago and found a new edition with a cover by Lauren Childs, who does the "Charlie and Lola" and "..."

Oh I think I've seen that one! Not my favorite I have to say.

Fiona (bookcoop) So I've started it. I'm not really quite drawn into it yet but I've been assured that it gets much better!

Kristen | 1046 comments So, I just found this book on my bookshelf when looking for my copy of The Secret Garden (which I found too). I had picked it up at a library book sale because it was so beautifully bound and a hardcover book - bought quite a few of these classics that looked like they belonged in a set. :)

Jennifer (JenJen1221) | 623 comments I've said it before, but I gotta say it again. The Anne series is my fave series from childhood. I wished I had my original copies, but they got lost in a move when I was in high school.

Alexis (alexabexis) | 422 comments I'm really, really enjoying this book. I think I owned the first one when I was a child but I refused to read it for some reason. Maybe I thought it was going to be bad? I was so wrong! It's really brilliant.

Regarding covers, I finally looked at the inside cover of my edition. Apparently Puffin Classics are being published with these fun new covers that incorporate good design and cool black and white line art illustrations, my favorite kind. This link shows three of the best ones.

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) | 390 comments I just started seeing these, Alexis. I absolutely love The Secret Garden one. I already own a different copy of The Secret Garden but I think I'm going to have to buy this one. I just bought The Jungle Book one for my 8 year old son because I think every kid should own it and when I saw the versions of these books I couldn't resist.

Alexis (alexabexis) | 422 comments When I saw them I had the totally irrational thought that I should buy a set of them, and maybe that's why publishers redo covers so often. Then I came to my senses.

The Secret Garden is my favorite one, too. It's kind of the style I like to draw in. But I have a gorgeous illustrated hardcover of that book so it would be silly for me to get another when I could draw that cover picture myself.

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) | 390 comments LOL, I know what you mean. I just looked on the inside cover of Jacob's book and saw that they also have Wind in the Willows, which I also have a different copy of. I need to control myself! Luckily, they're only $4.99 a piece so I figure if I buy just two more it's ok. I plan on reading The secret Garden and Wind in the Willows for the challenge and I don't like my copy of The Secret Garden. I have to Find my copy of Wind in the Willows to see if it's ok! :-)

Alexis (alexabexis) | 422 comments I didn't realize they were so cheap! Well, that changes things. :)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) | 390 comments I couldn't believe it either. The other thing I like about these versions is that they're small so they'd be easy to carry around and put in your purse. Always a bonus!

message 43: by Misty (last edited May 20, 2009 08:42PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Misty | 1505 comments Beth wrote: "I plan on reading The secret Garden and Wind in the Willows for the challenge" .
Along with Anne, you've just named three of my fave childhood books. I LOVE wind in the willows, and no one ever know what I am talking about when I mention it. If you read it, please watch the PBS (which probably means BBC) version. It is fantastic, and the guy who plays Toad -- I may have almost wet myself laughing (well, not really ). So good.

But to the matter at hand, I read this obsessively for a large part of my life. I would reread it once every foew months from the time I was 11. My 6th grade teacher made me read it because she thought it would be more of a challenge (as I flew through all of the class reads). At first, I wanted nothing to do with it. By then end, I ha requested the entire series from the library!
I adore Anne, and everytime I read it I find myself rushing through to get to certain parts (funny, most of them seem to have something t do with Gilbert...), but along the way I come upon other parts I have forgotten I loved just as much. I can never skip ahead, even though I've read it so much that it wouldn't be "cheating." It never fails to suck me in and make me smile. This is one of my chicken soup books. Always good for ya.

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) | 390 comments Hi Misty,
I will definitely look for the PBS version of Wind in the Willows! I'm going to see if Netflix has it. Thank you for the suggestion.

Rui M. (rui_m) | 13 comments This book seams to be interesting but I don't know the plot :) can somewone say something about it?

Misty | 1505 comments A young girl (Anne) is adopted by the Cuthberts (brother Matthew and sister Marilla). They had intended to get a boy to help on the farm, but there was a mix up and got Anne instead. She stays with them and gets into various odd situations due to her daydreaming and absent-mindedness. The story is basically just vignettes of Anne's life, charming and funny odd all mixed in. My favorite book for a large chunk of my childhood. Enjoy.

Amanda (amandaroby) I've been talking like Anne since yesterday, when I picked up this book at the library. What a gem! At first all her talk annoyed me, until I realized that the only reason I was annoyed was because I talk just that much! My husband had to point it out. Of course I couldn't put up with Anne in real life - we'd have to talk over each other just to keep up!

Misty wrote: "A young girl (Anne) is adopted by the Cuthberts (brother Matthew and sister Marilla).

I honestly thought they were married! I wondered why they didn't have children or act like a couple. That makes the whole story make a lot more sense. Now how did I miss the part where they talked about that relationship? Silly me...

Amanda R. in Louisville, laughing at herself.

Alexis (alexabexis) | 422 comments Amanda wrote: "I honestly thought they were married! I wondered why they didn't have children or act like a couple. That makes the whole story make a lot more sense."

Same here! I somehow missed Misty's post, because I didn't realize they were siblings until I was 400 pages in. Luckily my version had a Who's Who in the back to clarify, but yes, it made things make more sense.

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

I just finished Anne of Green Gables (I started it late). I loved Anne's imagination and how she went on one of her rants at the end of almost every chapter. I'm glad we did this as a group read because I have been wanting to read it since I was a younger and saw the movie, but never got around to it.

Chakara | 3 comments Alexis wrote: "Tahleen wrote: "So what about the covers on your books?"

I picked this up in the library a few days ago and found a new edition with a cover by Lauren Childs, who does the "Charlie and Lola" and "..."

I think this is the ones I have ? Illustration with ann looking out her window day dreaming? When will puffin get on it and come out with the rest of the series in these covers >:(.

For me I really like these covers because I got the orginal hard back covers as a child but didnt want to read them I was put off by the cover didnt seem like I would have anything in common with her so I dont even know where those books are sadly.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Anne of Avonlea (other topics)
Anne of Green Gables (other topics)
Anne of Green Gables (other topics)