Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive (general) > May - What are you currently reading?

Comments (showing 151-173 of 173) (173 new)    post a comment »
1 2 4 next »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 151: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Sarah wrote: "Just started Maledicte."

That sounds delicious!

message 152: by Nancy (last edited May 31, 2009 06:11AM) (new)

Nancy I just finished reading Eowyn Wood's Naked in the Rain. It explores the world of child prostitution from the eyes of two boys who met and became friends while they were in a mental institution. It was disturbing, sensual, seductive and brutal. I wanted to hate the man who took the boys' innocence and found I couldn't. This is not the kind of subject I normally care to explore in fiction, but I found myself so attached to the characters that I'm looking forward to the sequel which starts the next stage of their lives.

Now I need something light and not of the real world, so I've started Plague of Memory, by S.L. Viehl.

message 153: by Kasia (new)

Kasia Nancy wrote: "I just finished reading Eowyn Wood's Naked in the Rain. It examines the world of child prostitution from the eyes of two boys who met and became friends while they were in a mental ..."

Sounds like a pretty hard book to read... I would be looking for something light to follow it up as well.

message 154: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Kasia wrote: "Sounds like a pretty hard book to read... I would be looking for something light to follow it up as well..."

It was very disturbing, but also had beauty and humor to lighten it up. And the "bad" people weren't always bad. I think it will be one of those books that stays with me a while.

message 155: by new_user (new)

new_user Sounds like the kind of thing I couldn't read.

Nancy wrote: "Now I need something light and not of the real world, so I've started Plague of Memory, by S.L. Viehl."

Oh, I wonder if her scifi is like her paranormal stuff.

message 156: by Nancy (new)

Nancy new_user wrote: "Oh, I wonder if her scifi is like her paranormal stuff..."

I've only read the first two Darkyn books, but they're entirely different from the Stardoc books.

message 157: by new_user (new)

new_user Probably less romance, right?

message 158: by Susan (new)

Susan | 15 comments I just finished Eat,Pray,Love which I liked, but not loved. Next up may be the Time Traveler's Wife (hopefully in time for May Challenge). I have several books on hold from the library, including several for the May challenge + Dead and Gone. I do wonder how much library usage has increased these days? I know I have only purchased one book since January (Bone Crossed - and I'm glad I did!)

message 159: by Kasia (new)

Kasia I've read Time Traveler's Wife not so long ago and it was quite good, I think you'll like it... And yeah I'm reading and utilizing my library more lately, weird huh?

message 160: by Nancy (new)

Nancy new_user wrote: "Probably less romance, right?"

Less romance than her paranormal, but more than other SF novels.

message 161: by Nancy (new)

Nancy I hated The Time Traveler's Wife and didn't even finish it. I figure something must be wrong with me, since nearly all my friends liked it.

message 162: by Kasia (new)

Kasia Nah, nothing wrong with you. I people like it, it's well written, and I think overall it's a good book. But I can't say I liked it personally, actually it made me feel shitty. Weird - it is basically a love story.... But I still insist it's a very endearing, likable book and I'm the exception. And apparently so are you Nancy.

message 163: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 8991 comments Currently listening to Suzanne Brockmann's Dark of Night, Book 14 in her Troubleshooters series. I have to admit I love her narrators and wished all the TS books are available in audiobooks. They are just so much better to listen to.

I'm not sure how I feel about the storyline though, because I can just feel some horrible things going to happen to some of the characters and I can already feel my stomach clenching. There are some "unexpected pairings" (although I've read enough spoilers so its not totally unexpected), but the way it is written, it all seems plausible now. Still have half of the book to go.

Also, between the packing and everything, I'm trying to finish my Pick-It-For-Me book, Poison Study. Hope the experience is not ruined by my current state, but so far I halfway through it. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet, but so far, it has been quite different from my usual fare.

message 164: by Jane(Janelba) (new)

Jane(Janelba) (Janelba) | 769 comments Nancy I hated The Time Traveler's Wife too ! I really did get the storyline at all. So I am joining your camp of the weird ones who didn't like this book LOL

message 165: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Jane wrote: "Nancy I hated The Time Traveler's Wife too ! I really did get the storyline at all. So I am joining your camp of the weird ones who didn't like this book LOL"

Glad to know I'm not the only one. LOL! I had difficulty following the story line that jumped around and I didn't care about the characters at all.

message 166: by Julianna (new)

Julianna (AuthorJuliannaD) | 1368 comments After a string of reads with minimal or no steam, I decided I needed something with a little heat, so I picked up a Harlequin Blaze book, Night Moves by Julie Kenner. So far it hasn't disappointed me, and it turned out to be a surprise fit for one of the categories on the Men We Love challenge too. Yeah!:-)

message 167: by Jane(Janelba) (new)

Jane(Janelba) (Janelba) | 769 comments Yes that's what I found difficult too Nancy and also there characters didn't appeal to me at all

message 168: by Jane(Janelba) (new)

Jane(Janelba) (Janelba) | 769 comments Wow that was a stroke of luck Julie ! It's great when we read something because we want to then discover it works into a challenge !

message 169: by Barbara ★ (new)

Barbara ★ | 2416 comments I just finished Bound by Shadow book one in the Dark Crescent Sisterhood. It was spectacular with demons, witches and occult cops working together to solve supernatural murders and then some.

message 170: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cheryllaflammegmailcom) | 86 comments I am currently reading. "Always a Scoundrel" by Suzanne Enoch..

message 171: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (last edited May 30, 2009 05:06PM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (BriansGirlKate) I just got Intertwined by Gena Showalter as an advanced reading copy from Harlequin Teen Panel for my son. It's not for sale til Sept 2009. Looks interesting. Very paranormal, lol, with a boy who talks to the voices (souls) in his head (there are 4), a girl who quiets the voices, a werewolf shape-shifter who likes his girl and a vampire princess he can't resist. They said he was one of the lucky 50 to receive a copy of the book.

Will have to find time to read this. Perhaps I'll switch it for my June read a book by an author new to you.

message 172: by Jane(Janelba) (new)

Jane(Janelba) (Janelba) | 769 comments I've just finished Gargoyle's Quest by Nia K Fox for a review at Enchating Reviews and it was a HOT ! ! ! read !!!
Great characters and storyline, I must read book two when she publishes it lol

message 173: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 8991 comments Finished Poison Study last night just in time for the last day of May. I have to admit the book picked up its pace by the latter part, and I was quite satisfied with the ending. Even though the romance angle was subtle, it was enough to meet my HEA craving..LOL.

Overall, despite the sometimes unwieldy writing, it has a great plot, fascinating worldbuilding, and intriguing characters. The rest of the books in the series are definitely going into my TBR list.

1 2 4 next »
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Last Wolf Standing (other topics)
A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose (other topics)
Fantasy Lover (other topics)
The Darkest Night (other topics)
Lover Avenged (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Sherrilyn Kenyon (other topics)
Rhyannon Byrd (other topics)
Gena Showalter (other topics)
Eckhart Tolle (other topics)
Evangeline Anderson (other topics)
More...