Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

YA Reading Challenge > YA Reading Challenge #1: Tasks & Discussion

Comments (showing 28-77)    post a comment »

Cait (caitertot) Fiona wrote: "Can I ask is The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time - Mark Haddon any good for the challenge?"

It is listed as the 2003 winner for the Guardian Children's Fiction award, so it would work for task 30.1.

Laura (apenandzen) Jamie wrote: "Laura wrote: "Becky wrote: "Laura, oh wise one, could I use "The Book of Lost Things" for 30.3? I only ask because it is listed as a "Grown up book for young adults", and I really, really want to r..."

Leave it to Becky to sniff out a winner! Yeah, that book would work fine for task 20.5.

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) Can I ask is The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time - Mark Haddon any good for the challenge?

Laura (apenandzen) Kathryn wrote: "Umm, I travel during the whole summer and don't really have a local library so is it okay if I go into the YA section of the bookstore, look like an idiot and spin around with my eyes closed, picki..."

Yes, doing the same thing in a bookstore is fine for 25.2.

Laura (apenandzen) Ashley wrote: "Oh, and question about the different country/culture challenge.

I want to read the Chronicles of Narnia books. Some of them have part in England, and part in Narnia. Could I count that? Narnia ..."

Hi Ashley - The point of the Challenge is to discover new YA books, so although re-reads are allowed, they can only be used for one task - even though you do plan to read it again.

Also, if you are an American reading the Narnia books, then that works for 25.3.

(By the way, Becky, love this numbering system!)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) | 390 comments This will be my first challenge but it looks like it will be fun!

Jamie Laura wrote: "Becky wrote: "Laura, oh wise one, could I use "The Book of Lost Things" for 30.3? I only ask because it is listed as a "Grown up book for young adults", and I really, really want to read it!! "

..."

Good to know! I think the hardest task to find a book for has been 20 pt task #5, so this book will fit in nicely.

Laura (apenandzen) Alisha wrote: "I have a question about 25.4. Are we supposed to read two novels from the same series or one novel for one series with another novel from a completely different series?"

Hi Alisha - Any two books from the same series for Task 25.4.

Laura (apenandzen) Becky wrote: "Laura, oh wise one, could I use "The Book of Lost Things" for 30.3? I only ask because it is listed as a "Grown up book for young adults", and I really, really want to read it!! "

Hi Becky, since the main character is a 12 year-old boy, I'll allow it for the Challenge in general, but as to this specific task - which fairytale is the book retelling?

Jennifer (JenJen1221) | 623 comments Kathryn wrote: "Umm, I travel during the whole summer and don't really have a local library so is it okay if I go into the YA section of the bookstore, look like an idiot and spin around with my eyes closed, picki..."

That's what I plan on doing at the bookstore...I just hope I don't stumble into a little kid or knock down the bookshelves.

Kathryn CA (kathrynlouwCA) | 120 comments Umm, I travel during the whole summer and don't really have a local library so is it okay if I go into the YA section of the bookstore, look like an idiot and spin around with my eyes closed, picking two random books?

Ashley (Affie) | 468 comments Oh, and question about the different country/culture challenge.

I want to read the Chronicles of Narnia books. Some of them have part in England, and part in Narnia. Could I count that? Narnia is very obviously different...;) But I was meaning more England, since I am from Idaho...! I haven't read them before, so I don't know how much of the story actually takes place in England, but I thought I would check!

Ashley (Affie) | 468 comments Question...
My favorite book of all time is Where the Red Fern Grows. I love it. I have read it easily over 50 times, and I never get tired of rereading it. I just read it last month, but I already really want to read it again. It fits in several of the challenge places, SO, if I read it twice (for real, read it twice) can I count it in both places, or would you rather I read a totally different book?
Either way, I am ok, but I will probably read this book twice in the next 3 months, so I was wondering.

Awesome challenge by the way! Love it!

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) Just printing the details as we speak ladies, so I AM JOINING IN lol xx

Alisha (silenceiseverything) | 145 comments I have a question about 25.4. Are we supposed to read two novels from the same series or one novel for one series with another novel from a completely different series?

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) Laura, oh wise one, could I use "The Book of Lost Things" for 30.3? I only ask because it is listed as a "Grown up book for young adults", and I really, really want to read it!!

Jon *pops in to sniff out challenge ...backs out again before gets hooked!... im in challenge rehab*

message 58: by Lizzi (last edited Apr 30, 2009 07:28PM) (new)

Lizzi Crystal (fortelleren) Oh my gosh, I'm having so much fun picking out books! I've been noticing that I really gravitate toward YA recently (as opposed to two years ago when I didn't read any of it) so this is wonderful. :-)

One question: for 1. Choose any book from our “Top YA Novels” thread not posted by you and read it.

Can anyone point me to that thread? I couldn't find it...

Jennifer (JenJen1221) | 623 comments Yea!!! I'm totally stoked about this...my first challenge! YAY : )

Laura (apenandzen) It's fine. I'm easy.

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) I would say that The Princess Bride is one of those crossover books that can be either. There is quite a bit of adult humor in the book, but there is a ton for kids to love as well. I think it was written for adults, but it can really go either way. I say we should include it, but I really have no say. This is Laura's call. :)

Laura (apenandzen) Lisa wrote: "OMG'sh Laura, This is awesome....I can't wait to get started. I am so happy you and Fiona made this group. :~)

hey quick question....is Princess Bride considered YA?"

Lisa, I'm not really familiar with this title, other than it being on my TBR - I see it on some GR members' YA shelves tho, so it looks good to me. There's a fairy tale element to it, right? Where is your library classifying it? That's the rule of thumb we're going with.

Again, as long as it's not clearly for adults, and there are YA elements, I think it's fine.

Kristen | 1045 comments Woot! :0

Laura (apenandzen) Kristen wrote: "For the random book picking ... my library has it sectioned off with regular fiction, mystery, sci-fi and fantasy. Is it okay if I chose just one of those sections or does it not matter if I run to..."

As long as it's YA/Juvenile, it matters not! Have fun!

Lisa Julianna (LisaJulianna) OMG'sh Laura, This is awesome....I can't wait to get started. I am so happy you and Fiona made this group. :~)

hey quick question....is Princess Bride considered YA?

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) Laura wrote: "Becky is our Official Hand Holder Extraordinaire...she's quite talented, and she hardly ever bites. "

Really... Hardly ever. :D

Kristen | 1045 comments For the random book picking ... my library has it sectioned off with regular fiction, mystery, sci-fi and fantasy. Is it okay if I chose just one of those sections or does it not matter if I run towards fantasy which I love?

Laura (apenandzen) Becky is our Official Hand Holder Extraordinaire...she's quite talented, and she hardly ever bites.

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) I have two hands! *raises the free one*

Jen B (jennybee618) Oooh, a new challenge to get absorbed in!! Fun fun!! This looks great!

Susan (MrsFun) | 89 comments Looking forward to starting this challenge. I'm not a competitive person at all, but will do it more as a personal effort. I also have never done a challenge like this so of there is another hand to hold somewhere out there, sure would appreciate the support.

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) Kandice wrote: "I will appreciate the hand holding, girls. (Becky, I always seem to need you:)"

That's cool... I love being needed. :)

Laura (apenandzen) Kandice - have no fear! We are all here for you my dear!

Laura (apenandzen) Hey Lizzi, those books look good! I loved Burnett's books, and these seem to be written in a similar style.

Kandice | 931 comments I will appreciate the hand holding, girls. (Becky, I always seem to need you:)

Laura (apenandzen) You got it, Becky, flexibility is key. We're really looking for reasons to include books rather than exclude them. As long as they're over 100 pages, that is...

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) I understand the challenge to be open to anything except books written "with adults in mind". Is that correct Laura?

message 38: by Lizzi (last edited Apr 30, 2009 06:07PM) (new)

Lizzi Crystal (fortelleren) Thank you! And one more question before I start picking out the books :-) - is Juvenile also considered Children's fiction? (Books like A Little Princess, Anne of Green Gables come to mind?) I was wanting to read the Theatre Shoes, Dancing Shoes series (by Noel Stretfield), but are those too young for this challenge?

Laura (apenandzen) We're pretty flexible on this Lizzi, we're just not looking to include out-and-out adult books. As long as a library is calling it YA, we'll include it.

And of course you can use books you're reading for another Challenge! As long as they are YA/Juvenile, they'll work for this one too.

Lizzi Crystal (fortelleren) Wow, this looks so neat!! Can we count books for this that we're reading for another challenge too? (I think I'll join Cynthia's challenge this summer too.) Also, my library tends to say almost everything is YA fiction or fantasy with a little sticker on the side of the book, and I'm wondering if there are any other qualifications to make sure they're really YA? Like, what if my library says it is but another doesn't? (I noticed this in particular about Sharon Shinn's books - most libraries say she's adult but mine says YA).

Thank you for your help!! :-)

Natalee (nataleem00) | 459 comments I'm a challenge newbie but I think I am going to give it a shot!

Laura (apenandzen) Thanks, everyone! This is very exciting!

Laura (apenandzen) Kelly Jo wrote: "OK, I have a dumb question...where is the Wild Things Award List? "

Hi Kelly Jo!

Here is the Awards List: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

Kristen | 1045 comments OMG there's crazy awesome prizes! I am so in! This is crazy awesome! This will consume the rest of my night.. for sure.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) I think you did a great job Laura :)

Fiona (bookcoop) | 1837 comments Kelly Jo wrote: "OK, I have a dumb question...where is the Wild Things Award List? "

It's in the folder above this one under 'awards'

Josie (maid_marian) | 126 comments Nice work, oh Laura! I'm excited (and I think my Spring Challenge reading has just gone down the drain)!

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) I can't believe I haven't finished The Long Walk yet. I swear I am finishing it tonight and I am then compiling my YARCL (YA Reading Challenge List). And then I will be happy, so happy!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A Corner of the Universe (other topics)
Annie on My Mind (other topics)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (other topics)
A Little Princess (other topics)
Little Women (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Ingrid Law (other topics)
Kristin Cashore (other topics)
Brandon Mull (other topics)