Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > When was the last time you walked somewhere?

Comments (showing 51-100 of 536) (536 new)    post a comment »

message 51: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Good. I'm not either.

message 52: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments Whew, I kinda am

message 53: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) am what?

message 54: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments Slightly embarrassed

message 55: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Oh. As long as it's only slightly.

message 56: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (MrsNolte) | 17267 comments Mod
Lori wrote: "Sally, my husband claims he gets all the fresh air he needs by walking to his car across campus, and then keeping the window open while he drives. Oy."

Depending on what time I get there in the morning I either am a half mile or a mile and a quarter from my building to my car. I can get about a block away, but then the English dept is smack dab in the center of campus, which itself, is a square mile.

message 57: by Sally, la reina (new)

Dave, yes, I know, I'm heavy on the commas today. I'm nauseous all the time, and rather sleepy. All the time.

message 58: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Maybe you're pregnant.

(That's what everyone says to me any time I mention being tired/nauseous/dizzy/having a headache/having the sniffles/having a hangnail)

message 59: by Sally, la reina (new)

Absolutely they do. Like it's their DUTY during my first year of marriage to ask me that.

message 60: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) It only gets MORE frequent the longer you are married and childless.

message 61: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl | 21961 comments Sarah Pi wrote: "When I'm in New York (like this coming weekend!) I walk EVERYWHERE. New York blocks just seem walkable. I can walk the entirety of Manhattan...it's quantifiable."

Me too. One of my recent trips, I took a 7-mile walk through Manhattan. Many years ago my friend and I walked from the Columbia campus to the World Trade Center. (It felt good to sit down after that.)

Here, I walk every day. I do need to take public transport to get downtown, but in my neighborhood, and downtown, I walk everywhere. Walk to the library. Walk from downtown to the Mag Mile for shopping. Etc.

message 62: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I walk to work every day.

message 63: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Larry wrote: "I walk to work every day. I live only 4 blocks from my office. Urban living is quite alright, for me. At least, in the city in which I live."

Ha! My post from 2009. Still applies.

message 64: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments I don't live in a good walking area. I live in a suburban area and that's all that's around, houses. There a couple of stores within walking distance, but you have to walk on roads without sidewalks with a lot of twists and turns, and cars that come through there aren't expecting walkers,so it's really kind of dangerous. I take walks in the neighborhood sometimes but it's pretty boring.

message 65: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl | 21961 comments I live in an urban neighborhood with sidewalks everywhere but it's still very residential, shady, trees, and I live close to the lake which is nice. The problem is it's so boring, I've walked every block a million times and it's all flat. I so wish we had a few hills.

message 66: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) | 3227 comments I probably walk 6 miles every day on my mail route.

message 67: by Janice (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) I wish I could walk a distance again. I used to love going on walking tours whenever we'd go on holiday. Now, walking through a store can be an issue. Damned knees and hips.

message 68: by Mary (new)

Mary I love to walk-it's my favorite form of exercise.
I walk about 3 miles a day.

message 69: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments I walk somewhere almost every day.

message 70: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) janine wrote: "I walk somewhere almost every day."

Same here. I like it a lot. It tends to make me more mindful of my surroundings, and gives me time to think about things.

message 71: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11395 comments I'm sure I've walked somewhere recently, but mostly I've been riding. I've been putting in 115-140 miles per week on my bicycle for about two months now.

message 72: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) That works, too.

message 73: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13812 comments On Monday instead of just driving to the lake and then running around it, I ran TO the lake and then around it. Then I walked back. Baby steps.

message 74: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) You didn't trip over any turtles, did you?

message 75: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13812 comments No. The GIANT turtle or tortoise was in the middle of a six lane road yesterday as I took a friend to the airport. The car in front of me -with no brake lights - stopped short and I pulled a muscle in my calf trying to stop my car. I came within about an inch of plowing into them, and probably left two inches of tire rubber on the road. Then they drove on, so we tried to help the tortoise. Unlike the little one I saved the other day, which hid in its shell until I had carried it across the road, this one had no intention of being carried anywhere, and tried to bite my friend. We had to give up, but the truck behind us stopped too, and I think they helped her across because she wasn't there when I returned.

message 76: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Snapper soup.

message 77: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10824 comments I miss walking outdoors... it's too friggin hot here. It was already 100+ in June. I do walk when it's cooler... a lot cooler.

message 78: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments I don't do a lot of walking lately (same problem as you Heidi: it's too damn hot), but I never use the elevator in my building so I take the stairs several times a day.

message 79: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments my son wrote a good blog about rediscovering walking. thought i'd share

message 80: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jul 08, 2011 01:01PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Sarah Pi wrote: "When I'm in New York (like this coming weekend!) I walk EVERYWHERE. New York blocks just seem walkable. I can walk the entirety of Manhattan...it's quantifiable."

Me too. One of..."

LG, walking on the north side of Chicago is much easier than I think most people take for granted (except for, uh, some of the crap going down in Boystown lately). I used to walk from the Art Institute to Roscoe Village and back. In my head that sounds like a huge journey but, once you start, it only took a couple hours, if that, esp. if I walked on LSD (Lake Shore Drive, not the drug, dear readers) and caught Lincoln eventually to cut diagonally across town. I wouldn't do it every day, if I worked downtown, but every now and then it was fun.

I still walk a lot, but lately I've been riding a new bike. Different thread.

message 81: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13812 comments On Tuesday night my sister and some friends and I got out of a restaurant and decided we wanted gelato, but there were six of us and only five seats in the car. I said "It's a nice night, let's just walk," but that was soundly rejected. I thought two miles downhill sounded perfectly reasonable but nobody agreed with me.
I was thinking "only two miles" and they were thinking "two miles!" Maybe I have better shoes.

message 82: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments I would have walked with you Sarah.

message 83: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13812 comments Thanks, Jim! Next time you're in Baltimore I'll take you on the walking tour.

message 84: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments i'll follow on my motorcycle. like parade security

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I took a walk during past the Attorney General's building, and through the grounds of Tumwater High School and back. It's sunny but cool today, a good day for walking.

I like biking, too. I biked to work a couple of days ago, now that it's finally sunny and dry weather. It took me about 40 minutes, each way.

message 86: by Pat (new)

Pat (PatB37) This afternoon I walked to the library and the ATM. It's too damn hot.

message 87: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Mom and I walked about two blocks to our lunch meeting and then back today, despite the rain.

message 88: by Allison (new)

Allison Hiltz (thebookwheel) I walk my dogs every day. Plus the gym. But that's not really "walking somewhere." And I do a lot of charity walks (Relay, Heart Walk, Walk for Those who Can't, March of Dimes, etc)

message 89: by emm (new)

emm (goodreadscomemmjae) | 251 comments Don't own a car and can't afford bus fare sometimes, so I walk a lot. But the last time I walked somewhere was last night to and from the liquor store about 2 or 3 short blocks away from where I live...

message 90: by Mary JL (new)

Mary JL (MaryJL) | 250 comments I am unable to drive. So, I walk a lot. But when it is very hot or very cold, my allergies kick in and I can't walk as much outdoors.

I frequently walk to the bus line--it is six blocks away! The library is three blocks away.

When it is cooler, I try to walk more in spring and fall.

message 91: by Mary (new)

Mary Interesting
Sad to say the score in my neighborhood is 0 out of 100!
As you might have guessed, I live in a very rural area. In some ways it would be nice to live within walking distance of things like a library and coffee shop-the closest thing is Wendy's which is about 3 miles from me.

message 92: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11395 comments I got a zero, even though they cheated and calculated distance "as the crow flies" rather than where the roads actually go.

message 93: by ~Geektastic~ (last edited Jul 09, 2011 12:47PM) (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments My town has a score of 78. I need to walk more! Apparently, a lot of things are much closer than I realized.

message 94: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl | 21961 comments My neighborhood is 91, "walker's paradise." I knew that already, of course. But unfortunately my boredom score when I walk around my walker's paradise is 91 as well. I WANT HILLS. And forests.

message 95: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Mine is 75. I can live with that.

Until the Missouri got angry, we could walk across the pedestrian bridge that connects to many miles of trails on the other side of the river, too.

They have closed the Iowa access to the bridge because it's on one of the levees they are watching minute by minute.

message 96: by Janice (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) I finally checked my score and it said "8 - Car Dependent".

message 97: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments My neighborhood only scores 70, but I can get almost everywhere else on my bicycle.

message 98: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments 46-Car dependent. I think this is because you would have a hard time walking to the grocery store and some other places. But it's a good neighborhood to walk. Really.

message 99: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments I think the score is only based on distances, not on whether or not there are decent sidewalks, etc. There are different ways to look at the walkability of a neighborhood.

message 100: by Jonathan (last edited Jul 10, 2011 06:48AM) (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments 98 - Walker's Paradise.

I think you're right, Janine. If you can bike to everything you need, you're not dependent on a car, and you're getting good exercise just going through your daily routine. Groningen seems like a great place to walk, in my opinion.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

On the Beach (other topics)
A Walk Across America (other topics)