Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

And Everything Else > Re-Visiting your Childhood/Youth

Comments (showing 1-32 of 32) (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) What books did you read in your youth or childhood that you would like to perhaps re-visit and get a different perspective on? Or what books have you re-visited after a long time and have you loved them even more or wished they're remained as they were - fond memories?

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Charlotte's Web! Loved the book, loved the film, and I've been dying to re-read this one.

message 3: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) I re-read this one a couple of years ago at uni. I'd read it for the first time when I was about ten years old or so. It's quite a good little book even now but made me cry at the end. Which I liked, I'm glad that children's books aren't all happy happy at the end.

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Great thread BTW Fiona

*gives high five*

message 6: by Jamie (new)

Jamie I think I had pretty bad taste in books when I was younger, which probably stems from the fact that I didn't really know what was available. (Too bad GoodReads wasn't around then.) I really enjoyed The Babysitter's Club, The Boxcar Children, Ramona books, Christopher Pike books, V.C. Andrews books, and the Little House series. Of those, I think I'd only like to re-read the Little House and Ramona books.

Moving on to Jr. High and High School, I did appreciate a lot of the classics we read in class and I'm planning on re-reading some of those, like A Tale of Two Cities and Our Town. Also, a couple of my favorite adult books from back then that I'd like to re-read would have to be Power of One and Queen: The Story of an American Family. I wonder if they are as good as I thought they were all those years ago.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) I think I read every single Baby-Sitters Club book there was, I was OBSESSED with them.

I also loved Boxcar Children Jamie! They are very good I think, dunno if I'd like them now...but I've thought about re-reading the first one, when they live in that...boxcar :P lol.

I also loved Sweet Valley. I'm definitely done with those.

message 8: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 965 comments I read over, and over and over The Great Brain series as a kid. Well past the age they were meant for. I still have them as a boxed set and will occassionally re-read to have a "feel good" few hours.

message 9: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) I remember a seroes of books I used to read but I can't remember... they were about a bunch of teenagers. Oh yeah, the Making Out series by Katherine Applegate!

Zoey Fools Around that's the first one. I have seen them occasionally in charity shops and looked through them and guh - I guess they're not that bad really but hardly something I pride myself with reading lol.

message 10: by Kathryn CA (new)

Kathryn CA (kathrynlouwCA) | 120 comments Hmm, I am guilty of loving Sweet Valley as well... I might want to re-visit that just to try to remember why I was so obsessed.

Re-visit Little House of the Praire and Nancy Drew.

Umm, I never read the Babysitters Club, but I had friends who did.

What other great books where there? I know there were tons of them that I loved to read, but I can't think of them right now.

message 11: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (sbranson05) | 30 comments I was absolutely obsessed with the Babysitter's Club books, but there's no way I could appreciate them now. The same goes for Sweet Valley, Goosebumps, Fear Street, Christopher Pike books, etc. They're absolutely what started by love of reading but I think they'd bore me to tears now. They're not exactly high literary quality.

As a younger kid, I loved all things Berenstein Bears, Amelia Bedelia, Little Golden Books, Shel Silverstein, etc., etc. And these will be the ones I read over and over to my nieces and nephews. My favorite Little Golden Book was Dr. Dan the Bandage Man, which I found two copies of when I was at a used bookstore in San Francisco. I gave a copy to each of my nephews and one of them insists on it being read to him every night. :)

message 12: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen | 229 comments I still love the Babysitters' Club. I'm sad they're out of print. I read the Boxcar Children too--I was in the Scholastic book club! I got a cool membership card and everything haha.

message 13: by Josie (new)

Josie (maid_marian) | 126 comments So no one's mentioned Enid Blyton... am I the only one who read almost every series she wrote? Admittedly they were getting on by the time I was reading them (in the mid to late nineties), and some of the books were my parent's copies they'd had as kids... but - boarding school stories! With midnight feasts! And the very 'Englishness' of them all! ("Jolly good, Darrell, I say, what a brick you are, that's a simply smashing idea!")

message 14: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) I read and loved the magical Far Away tree - that was my favourite! And Mr Pinkwhistle. I think there were others too but I can't remember. I'd like to read The Famous Five and The Secret Seven, as I never read those for some reason. Or, I don't think I did.

message 15: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen | 229 comments I've heard of Enid Blyton and people get upset when we don't have them at Barnes & Noble. I haven't read them though.

message 16: by Josie (new)

Josie (maid_marian) | 126 comments Hmm..so maybe they weren't that big in the US? They're quite dated now (don't read them if you get annoyed at 'gender roles'..."No, you girls aren't coming with us, it's too dangerous. We BOYS will search for clues at night with our high-powered battery torches."), and she tends to use a formula with each series, especially with the Mallory Towers and St. Clair's books (there's always a scatterbrained musical genius, always a weak, whiny coward, always someone who likes playing jokes, always a hockey match, always a midnight feast or two, etc. etc.). Secret Seven was aimed at younger kids, so I got over those pretty quickly, but I loved Famous Five, and the 'Circus' books, and the 'Adventure' books, and The Five Find-Outers and Dog...ah, memories...my mum used to read them aloud to me each night, well past the age when I could read them myself!

message 17: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen | 229 comments Yeah I don't know... I remember seeing a bunch in a used bookstore in Wales but nowhere else. So maybe it is a UK thing. Though people know her in the US.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (SusannaG) I read the Famous Five books, but no one I ever knew growing up had ever heard of them. I have no idea where my mother found them, either!

message 19: by Vicki (new)

Vicki When I was younger, I used to read Sweet Valley High, The Babysitter's Club, Boxcar Children, a lot of RL Stine like Fear Street, some Christopher Pike. One of my favorite non-series book was Tuck Everlasting, which I would love to go back and read again.

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 44 comments I just found some of my favorite childhood books in a box today..(aside from my favorite series books)

They were:

Wanted...Mud Blossom
A Little Princess
Behind the Attic Wall
Sideways Stories from Wayside School

message 21: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) I got rid of a lot of my childhood books. I kinda regret that now, but you know what it was like, I had to make room for others.

message 22: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 965 comments But, one day, if you have children, (I know, big if) you will re-collect all those books! Next time you wont get rid of them:)

message 23: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1046 comments I was a Nancy Drew aholic. I read every stinkin' one of them and loved them all.

message 24: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen | 229 comments Jamie, I tried to read Beyond the Attic Wall and could never get through it. What was it about?

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 44 comments Tahleen wrote: "Jamie, I tried to read Beyond the Attic Wall and could never get through it. What was it about?"

To tell you the truth I can't really remember..which is why I think I'm going to have to reread it..but I remember just loving it!

message 26: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) Tahleen wrote: "I still love the Babysitters' Club. I'm sad they're out of print. I read the Boxcar Children too--I was in the Scholastic book club! I got a cool membership card and everything haha."

We have about 60 or 70 Babysitter's Club books that I bought on ebay for my kids. There are a lot of people that sell huge lots of them. You should check it out!

message 27: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen | 229 comments Thanks Cait, I will! Once I get enough money haha. I keep putting it off because I have nowhere to put them but I just hope they'll still be around when I'm older!

message 28: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) I loved Judy Blume, the Ramona Quimby books that Jamie mentioned, oooh, and Paul Zindel. Loved his stuff in early middle school!

message 29: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (lmorris) | 38 comments I've ridden horses since I was 5 yrs old and was really into "horsey" books. The Saddle Club series, Marguerite Henry and Walter Farley. I am thinking that I will re-read the Black Stallion books.

I also loved Jerry Spinelli books, specifically, Maniac Magee. Others that I loved were Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, The Indian in the Cupboard, The Phantom Tollbooth, also some Cynthia Voight-my fave was On Fortune's Wheel. A very dated one that I got from my grandmother's attic was Cherry Ames Camp Nurse. I remember really enjoying this one.

message 30: by Jean (new)

Jean | 17 comments I grew up with Enid Blyton, from her brownie tales for very young readers up through Secret Seven to the Famous Five. Those kids had so much freedom - always off camping or taking horse drawn caravans across the moors with not an adult in sight.

Still have and reread all the Narnia books, Susan Cooper's "The Dark is Rising" series, and Lloyd Alexander's Taran books. I was really keen on Alan Garner too - the Weirdstone of Brisingamen, the Moon of Gomrath and Elidor in particular.

And I absolutely loved Elizabeth Goudge's "The Little White Horse".

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (SusannaG) I absolutely loved the couple of Carnegie Medal winners I remember reading - The Little White Horse and The Return of the Twelves.

I read a lot of Newberry winners, and loved most of those, too.

message 32: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (alexabexis) | 422 comments I was also really into the Babysitters Club. (Big surprise, since I babysit for so many families now!) They weren't my favorites, although I did like reading them. I don't think I could take them seriously now. Haha, at the time I read them the girls seemed so old. I mean, they were 13! Teenagers!

The ones I plan to revisit, using the challenge as incentive, are the Night World series by LJ Smith and the Alice McKinley series by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor. I might also use a Little House book for a classic, because I absolutely loved those. I liked the Ramona books because they were funny, but I always felt like I would hate having Ramona for a sister.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Charlotte's Web (other topics)
From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler (other topics)
Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH (other topics)
The Power of One (other topics)
Queen (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Paul Zindel (other topics)