Lesbian Book Club discussion

Book of the Month > A book for July

Comments (showing 1-18 of 18) (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (Nulaanne) Hi All,
Margo asked that we vote early for July and I am all for that. So, for the month of July there will be a limit on the book. Ready for this one?

Graphic Novel-------------- However, this is where the limit comes to play NO books by Alison Bechdel. Hear me out. I love her books well most of them, but she is the most well known Graphic Novelist for lesbians out there. Look for someone new, someone who is not as well known. Good luck.

message 3: by Margo (new)

Margo Moon | 45 comments Yes! And thanks for the links.

message 4: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (Nulaanne) You are welcome. But we need books by Friday to get a vote up Monday. So. . .

message 5: by Miriamiele (new)

Miriamiele Long time I don't write anything.... Only lesbian characters? If there is not any restriction I would like to introduce you to "fables" by Bill Willingham.... But, I am ready to any suggestion...

message 6: by Margo (new)

Margo Moon | 45 comments The more I look at these, the more I think I'll defer to the group. But I'd definitely prefer only lesbian characters.

message 7: by Miriamiele (new)

Miriamiele Tomorrow... Friday.... Deadline.... Any more suggestions? Please, people an effort..

message 8: by Snott (last edited Jun 21, 2013 09:37AM) (new)

Snott | 15 comments Here are some suggestions:

Girl Friends: The Complete Collection 1 - High school girls falling in love - a truly great manga.

Strawberry Panic Omnibus - a fun parody of the all the high school girls romance manga from Japan. It's cute/funny.

12 Days - lesbian author: Sad, good story, unconventional plot.

Batwoman: Elegy - Lesbian Batwoman, written by Greg Rucka who is very lgbt friendly - I could go on and on about Batwoman written by Rucka, they're phenomenal

Whiteout by Greg Rucka - lesbian main character

Strangers in Paradise, Pocket Book 1 by Terry Moore (gay author) - Lesbian main character/storyline

Yu+Me: dream Volume 1 by Rose Gedris (lesbian author) - Seems like a high school love story but it's so much more, it's more of a surreal journey. Great, great story.

Locas by Jaime Hernandez - This follows lesbian antiheroes Maggie and Hopey from Love & Rockets (a great lgbt inclusive comic series) .

Rent Girl by Michelle Tea (lesbian author) a graphic novel about Michelle's experiences as a sex worker in San Francisco.

message 9: by Margo (new)

Margo Moon | 45 comments Batwoman:Elegy sounds good.

message 10: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (Nulaanne) I love the Batwoman Elegy, but then Batwoman is one of the comics that I buy every month. Did I mention that I was a nerd.

message 11: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (HeidiAmberUndimere) | 2 comments I'd like us to read Hero.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12...

message 12: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (HeidiAmberUndimere) | 2 comments http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/33... would be good too, but nothing lesbian about it, just a mouthy 3,000 yr old Genie and how he copes with his 12 yr old master.

message 13: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (Nulaanne) I will have the poll up in a few hours. Anymore ideas anyone?

message 14: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (amcalm04) I love batwoman too, but read it regularly. I've read a bit of strangers in paradise and it is quite good too.

message 15: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (amcalm04) Ok. I feel like an idiot when I use the iPhone good reader app. I can't find the poll for July. Am I the only one who has problems with this app?!??

message 16: by Britni (new)

Britni | 57 comments The polls aren't available in the app...you have to go to the website. :-(

message 17: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (Nulaanne) Thanks Britni, I was wondering about that.

message 18: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (Nulaanne) One more day to vote.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Girl Friends: The Complete Collection 1 (other topics)
Strawberry Panic Omnibus (other topics)
12 Days (other topics)
Batwoman: Elegy (other topics)
Whiteout (other topics)
More...