Push Push discussion


392 views
should this book be banned? why or why not?!!!! (NEED FOR ENGLISH CLASS)

Comments (showing 1-48 of 48) (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Melissa This book, written strongly shows hope through the language exposed. If you look past these words, there lies a story of a girl making the best of her situation.


message 2: by Eva (new) - rated it 1 star

Eva Leger Ugh...it should be banned because it's the most stupid book ever written. I'd be horrified if I had to read this again.


Elsie this book is very good. if you can get pasted the strong language this is a great book.


Kass  -Fallen Angel- This is a great boo, it shouldn't be banned


Sulgi Typically when books get banned it's due to a controversial nature of the story or idea. Yes, this book can be considered 'controversial' in some ways, however, it's more of a story of how real life can really get even here in our back yard. The language is no less harsh than any R rated movie or TV series available to the public. The story is less than friendly, and maybe something that people may not want to face, but that doesn't make it any less true.

There's no real reason for it to be banned.


Lesley wow, is this high school. If you didnt know about sex ed before reading this then you will after. I had a hard time reading it in places because it is written like an uneducated person talks and writes. It should not be banned because it is an unfortunate lifestyle (poor, incest, teenage mother, abusive parent) that many teens do struggle with. I would want my child reading it as a school project to know this is written this way to give the character more credit as uneducated, not that this writing style is appropriate (as we all know, teens tend to write in text talk nowadays).


aPriL eVoLvEs (ex-Groot) This book, while fiction, actually is describing how real life is for a lot of people. The point of the book is not to gross you out. The point of the book is to wake up those folks who are lucky in life to have the right kind of parents who care enough and have enough money to love their kids and treat them right. Since it is fiction, it has to follow rules of writing a book of fiction. But that doesn't mean it is all made up. I personally know and have met people who are living in this kind of environment and who have mental deficits due to lack of food, toys or love from their parents. Children are 'plastic', which means even if they are born with a perfectly normal body and brain, they can be made to be abnormal thinkers due to child abuse, neglect and poor environment. Things happen to babies, which hurt their brains, and it is always tragic. This book is trying, among many things, to inform people how this damage can occur. It doesn't spell things out for you but it certainly leaves clues all over. The mother and grandmother passed on the abuse and neglect and impoverished environment on down from generation to generation. This book was an exaggeration on only one respect, usually people raised like this don't accomplish much more than their parents do, although it definitely happens that people DO overcome even childhoods like this. It most certainly should NOT be banned. It is speaking truth about the way some Americans are living, and for those of you prepared to understand the message, it could stop some from bullying kids who come from this type of home. Maybe. I think perhaps, though, due to how some normal kids are, who never knew this kind of thing existed, they may be too sensitive or young for exposure to this, so maybe there should be parental permissions asked if the book is officially read in class. But pulling it from libraries, including school libraries would be plain wrong.


Ryan Eva wrote: "Ugh...it should be banned because it's the most stupid book ever written. I'd be horrified if I had to read this again. " Thanks Eva, for that brilliant assessment. Perhaps you should spend a little more time reading.

This book stands as a testament to the perils of inner-city life. Obviously the resistance stems from those who would rather sweep these sort of issues under the rug.


message 9: by Eva (last edited Sep 26, 2011 03:36AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Eva Leger Ryan wrote: "Eva wrote: "Ugh...it should be banned because it's the most stupid book ever written. I'd be horrified if I had to read this again. " Thanks Eva, for that brilliant assessment. Perhaps you should..."

Obviously you have no sense for sarcasm. I'm willing to bet a a large sum of money you've never lived in the projects (I have.) I know what goes on in "inner-city" life and this is NOT what typically happens.
I have no doubt that this girl is lying through her teeth. What teeth she may have that is.
But, for the record, I was joking so you may want to look into a 'learn to recognize sarcasm class' soon. :D
For the record, "this" happens probably just as much in "inner-city" life as you'd find an abused child "like this" in suburbia. Open your freaking eyes.


message 10: by Eva (new) - rated it 1 star

Eva Leger Ryan wrote: "Eva wrote: "Ugh...it should be banned because it's the most stupid book ever written. I'd be horrified if I had to read this again. " Thanks Eva, for that brilliant assessment. Perhaps you should..."

I'm sorry! I just read that first sentence!! You've read 139 books (listed) and are telling ME to read more? Take a look at my open profile sweetie. I read more than anyone you know I bet.
And, by the way, my assessment WAS brilliant. This mess is along the lines of Frey's A Million Little Pieces. Don't be mad that, like sarcasm, you can see lies for what they are. Some of us get the short end of the stick. :D
Now go on and read and list your 140th book and be quiet.


message 11: by Ryan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ryan Wow! Were all those children's books tough? Why don't we step back and compare the caliber of book shelves. I read literature - my degrees in the field would actually confirm that along with my presentations at literary conferences - you read books intended for people half your age. Your "analysis" could've been better articulated by the audience intended for the books you've read. Best of luck...stick to the books with the pictures and leave the grown up books to people who can handle them.


Eulalio Arcia No way such a great book should be banned. It has a strong language, but it is rich in description n literary devices. At school the best thing do with students in middle school is to make a list of all the grammar mistakes made in.the book and have ss correct them.


Starlita I do not think this book should be banned. The book is written in the tone or level of the main character. The book show what the problems in the inner city.


Charles This is a powerful book. I am not in a position to comment on its likelihood, but I was impressed with its credibility. YES... abuse occurs at all socioeconomic strata. YES... the words are strong, but the emotions and pain are stronger.

Not only do I not fee that it should be banned, I would favor it being essential reading. That is, essential for anyone with a soul, who cares about children and education. People who turn away because the subject is ugly, and maybe Precious is ugle, have completely missed the point. Life is not ugly, but real life has ugliness.


message 15: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam North This book should NOT be banned... it is a great and terrible story. It is heartbreaking but it should be heard.

“The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame” – Oscar Wilde.


message 16: by Michael (last edited Jan 24, 2013 07:33AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Michael Jenkins I don`t think it should be banned, it was a terrible book though. The writing style was simply atrocious and it was way too graphic in detail.


message 17: by Azem (new) - rated it 5 stars

Azem I can't think of any reason why this book should be banned. Reading the comments above, I still can't find any solid arguments being presents for a ban on this book.

The subject is controversial - still. But it is not the first time it has been written about. Anybody who's familiar with Alice Walker's 1982 Pulitzer Prize winning novel 'The Color Purple' will know what I am talking about.

As for the language - I admit it wasn't the easiest to read. However, I do believe that it is a good thing to break away from conventional and conservative writing styles and find a different way to tell a story. Personally, I thought it was effective.


Ashley Gilmore If the government will not ban movies with violence/sex/drugs etc they should not be banned. Push is a very hard book to read for some, but as i mentioned before, if it can be a movie why can't it be a book? Yes some movies you have to be 18+ to buy, if anything that should be the case with certain books.


message 19: by Azem (last edited Feb 01, 2012 12:37PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Azem i don't think many kids under 18 will pick up a book like Push. those that do most probably know what they're getting into and won't find nasty surprises.

you can't compare movies in the same way. movies appeal to a wider audience and are marketed in a very different and more aggressive way too...

Ashley wrote: "If the government will not ban movies with violence/sex/drugs etc they should not be banned. Push is a very hard book to read for some, but as i mentioned before, if it can be a movie why can't it ..."


Reading EVERYTHING in Ann Arbor and Ypsilanti I don't believe in banning books. I wouldn't quite age limit books except for actual out and out smut. I plan to read what my children read, not to tell them not to, but to be able to discuss it with them (what a concept, right?)


message 21: by Janet (last edited Feb 09, 2012 09:52PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janet Aileen I do not believe in banning books in schools, libraries, or homes. I agree with Reading Everything in Ann Arbor... I encouraged my children (now grown) to read anything they wanted to read. If it was contriversial, I read it too so that we could discuss the content. Children can get most any book they want to read.....why not make it a teachable event? As for "Push"....this is a book loaded with prospects for valuable discussions about language, abuse, life style, culture, choices, opportunities, hope, and much more.


message 22: by Patty (last edited May 10, 2012 10:42AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Patty I don't believe in banning books period. As a matter of fact I believe this particular book should be required reading in high school. This book is not about sex, it is about child sex abuse, and mental abuse throughout this child's life; it is also about poverty and the welfare system.

This was one of the hardest books I have ever read because of the subject matter. I kept having to put the book down, I didn't want to read it, and yet I knew I would be more educated if I finished the book. I had no idea that one could even be abused like that at her age, I honestly didn't know it was a possibility, but I was wrong. I thought what that man did was disgusting, and I thought the mother watching made it 100% worse, but I also found out that it was happening. I felt so much for that child and what she had to endure.

The problem in society is when we don't understand that abused child when she is an adult. We say things like why don't you go get a job. This book made me open my eyes, not just to sexual abuse of a child but to it happening over and over again in society to the point in which that particular part of society may not see that it is wrong. It makes we angry that in the United States that this is allowed to go on in these homes, and no one is stepping in and educating them that this is wrong and removing the children from any environment in which it is taking place.

I also now know that this is not only happening in poverty environments but also in every other class of society although perhaps not on such a large of a scale as in poverty environments.

So, no, this books should not be banned. We must open our eyes, we must deal with this horrible act of cruelty and help the victims in any way possible.


Stacey Rice No way this book should be banned! True or not this goes on every day in every class of society. I'm a Board member of a non-profit that deals with this type of abuse daily. It is sickening to see the number of children that report such abuse and it's usually by someone they know ie. family member. Sometimes the perpetrators confess and spare the child having to go to court but other times they try and beat the system. It's getting worse not better and people need to stop acting like it doesn't exist.


message 24: by Licha (last edited Mar 29, 2012 07:42PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Licha I don't believe in banning books. People have choices to read or not read a book. People have a choice to put down a book if they feel the subject matter is too disturbing. Let people make their own educated choice about it. Do I think it should be required reading for high school? Not really. Not because of the subject matter, but because of all the books out there I just don't see how this particular book should be required reading. And this is coming from someone who liked the book. This is not the first book to deal with sexual abuse of a child. I think it's very open and frank and extremely graphic. I haven't read a book were the victim was so frank about how the abuse made her feel. The mother being a perpetrator also is very disturbing. This shouldn't be a reason to ban the book. As for the language and writing of the book, come on people. This was written the way Precious would have written it. It's called art. It is the author's way of presenting her story.


Carly I don't think this book should be banned (I don't think any book should be), but I definitely think there should be a disclaimer and that it should be introduced at around ages 16-17, if at all in High School. The sexual abuse is so disturbingly graphic.


Sharell This book should not be banned. The things that go on in this book, abject poverty, sexual abuse, incest, improper health, are all problems that many people face every day. Just because the truth is disturbing to some people doesn't mean that it should be covered up.


Carly Sharell wrote: "This book should not be banned. The things that go on in this book, abject poverty, sexual abuse, incest, improper health, are all problems that many people face every day. Just because the truth i..."

Exactly!!


message 28: by Lori (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lori I am not for book banning at all. no PTA type parent is going to tell me or my kids what they can read. This book does have very strong language.but is also has a lot to say about the main character's life.Precious was horribly abused by both parents. this book could open up for some good discussions. about abused kids.


message 29: by Linda (new) - rated it 1 star

Linda It's really disturbing and hard to shake the feeling that you need a bath after reading it.

I have kept all of the books I've read but Push and one Alice Walker novel are the only ones that I've ever thrown into the trash after I finished.

I don't know about banning but the school should seek parental consent before allowing the students to read it.


message 30: by Sara (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sara No this book should not be banned because the story is very true to many people's real lives. People don't want to read about the less desirable lives of others (especially children). However, this is why reading is important...to learn. We need to learn about eachother and the world so we can understand differences and find a way to change the evils in our society! A person might never even think of things happening to a young person like they do to Precious. Ignorance breeds tolerance. Wise up! ~ Censorship is not the way to go. Parents need to monitor what their child(ren) are reading. I work in a library and adults come up to me all the time to ask me how did their child get this book!?! Did you let them check this out!? And, yes, of course I did. Because it is not my responsibility to look after every child that comes through the library's doors everyday. So, children need to be monitored and adults are allowed to read what they wish. It's a free country. This does not mean that I agree with every book, nor what it contains (in fact there are many books that think are pure trash and do not understand why people are even getting paid to write them) but I will defend your right to read them with my dying breath if I have to.


Licha Sara, I believe you when you say that parents always want to put the responsibility for their children's actions on others. Parents need to become more involved and informed. I also agree that this book should not be banned. I don't think it should be a class assignment, but it should not be banned. I was shocked at the brutal honesty, but grateful that the author could keep it so real.


message 32: by Mark (last edited May 19, 2012 12:20AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mark Johnson No book should ever be banned. The First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States protects freedom of speech and expression. The reason that it is necessary to enshrine such a right is that people resort to censorship when they want to suppress the truth. Push is a powerful novel that speaks unpleasant truths about our society. There are many people, regardless of where they live and what they look like, who suffer the things portrayed in the novel, and much worse. It is important for us to have a perceptive view into the realities of others, so that we may learn empathy and find ways to mitigate suffering and help people achieve their dreams. This is vital for a humane and thriving society.


Caitlin Demo Ryan wrote: "Eva wrote: "Ugh...it should be banned because it's the most stupid book ever written. I'd be horrified if I had to read this again. " Thanks Eva, for that brilliant assessment. Perhaps you should..."

I agree. This book was extremely well-written. It offers the voice of the voiceless. I feel that to determine this book as the most stupid book ever written shows that perhaps its message was lost on Eva.


Kathy Dugan No book should ever be banned!


Marie Hobman Kathy wrote: "No book should ever be banned!"

I totally agree... A major hate of mine is when people blame books/films for atrocious acts people have committed. why should someone be able to tell others what they can and can not read. History books have far worse things written in them!!! I read some pretty Grim books in my teens and it hasnt done me any harm.
however this book is very poorly written (".) buta fantastic story.


message 36: by Phil (new) - rated it 5 stars

Phil Williams No book should be banned. There are books that I personally find disagreeable (i.e. Mein Kampf, by Adolph Hitler, anything by Glenn Beck, the Holy Bible) but I would never suggest they be banned. To forbid a book is to forbid thoughts and all thoughts, no matter how unpopular deserve to be expressed.


Bookiemom LG Phil wrote: "No book should be banned. There are books that I personally find disagreeable (i.e. Mein Kampf, by Adolph Hitler, anything by Glenn Beck, the Holy Bible) but I would never suggest they be banned. ..."

I totally agree with you..


Shavonne This book should not be banned. It tells a story.... a believable story.


message 39: by Cait (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cait This book should not be banned in our country or in schools. No books about rape, incest, violence, drugs or sex should never be banned because they teach us things that actually go on in our society. If we started reading or teachers started teaching more books like PUSH, I feel like kids in high school wouldn't hate English class so much or find it so boring. We need to stop censoring and protecting young readers and young minds and teach them reality. Because for some people, books like this ARE reality.


Lorisha A deep dark text. It should be read but not sensationalized.


Felix Ramirez I think that this book should not be banned because it shows you what happens in society and what happens to the unfortunate. Even though it has a lot of strong language, drug use, violence, and sex it shows life lesson to young adults. some say that this book is too mature for many high school students. I think that many high school students love this book and learn from it. the beatings and misfortunes that happen to precious make you thank for what you have and be happy that you are not in her shoes.


Maelanie Lol ... It is a train of thought that one facet of the "art" in literature is the ability to make the story come alive; the realism in colorful imagery, and in the use of everyday language (no matter the character's level of education) in dialogue, and or narrative.


Agostino Scafidi Books should never be banned, but I don't see the point of using this one in an English class. What is the teacher trying to teach with a book like this?

This book is for anyone who wants to read a traumatizing life story through the lens of the person who lived it, told in an engaging and provocative way, to observe the power of determination to overcome adversity no matter what.


Maelanie As a teacher I try not to limit myself or my students. The course name maybe biology 300, but if I can instill thoughts on compassion and humanity, wrong and right; I feel It's my duty to do so. These lessons may come from various sources.

Now; this is just my opinion, but I think teachers and students have become too robotic and although they learn what is in the text, they are seldom educated on real life experiences. Again, just my opinion. I am not saying I am the only one to teach this way, nor am I saying any other methodology is any less effective.


Agostino Scafidi Maelanie wrote: "As a teacher I try not to limit myself or my students. The course name maybe biology 300, but if I can instill thoughts on compassion and humanity, wrong and right; I feel It's my duty to do so. ..."


I agree. At the same time I feel like "real life experiences" nowadays are also too lumped in with the bad side of life. The story in Push is one of many stories that show how bad one's life can be, but what about the multitude of experiences out there that show how good life is and can be? For everyone and anyone, and there is enough balance in many positive stories to be realistic and fruitful.

Basically I find it to be shortchanging a student when you present them with stories of people in abject poverty, growing up with abuse, and try to teach them something about life that way.

Also, and this might come across as racist to some overly sensitive folk, but it's just a fact that most stories about black people are negative and revolve around poverty and abuse. This is just a common situation for many of them I guess. Wouldn't they also benefit from learning about stories with more positive circumstances instead of continually being reminded of how bad a hand most of their people have been dealt?

Isn't this also what Bill Cosby tends to speak about? How it's time black people stop blaming white people?

Anyway, that's the extent of my familiarity with the subject because I'm an italian canadian and my upbringing and childhood was nothing at all as described in PUSH.


Maelanie I see your point. Positive uplifting stories are very, very good. For the most part, people who are poor do not relate well to stories of abject poverty. They live it, and are more open to positive stories that are universal. I hope my comment wasn't misread; I do not advocate only negative life experiences to be used in the classroom, or in any setting.

I do however disagree, that profound abuse is common for Black people. It is unfortunately, quite common for children and women. It may be true that, poverty is more common in the non-white population, but so too is hard work; and the character that defines a good citizen. And I am confident that the majority are not at all enamored with their plight and I doubt very seriously that (although, contrived statistics may project a different picture) they use the "hand they were dealt" as an excuse.

Dr. Cosby's thoughts and his views were just that, and he has a right to both. Are his words being received in the light in which he wanted them received; by yourself, or those who adamantly denounced them, of that, I am not sure?

I do strongly endorse the thought that the oppression of people of color follows and directly mirrors the subjugation of women. Until we address these two issues the people of this planet could never be "humane".

"Most of us are no longer really human; we have been deprived of our humanity. We have been dehumanized by the processes of conditioning, upbringing and socialization. We are no longer the organized authentic self which we were once capable of being… What we are born for is to live as if to live and love were one. Unless we learn that lesson 'the goose is cooked' as it were."

This topic of racism is so labored as to make any constructive discussion on the matter seemingly impossible. I am not pleased to risk being flip, or cliche in reiterating an old adage here, but; 'walk-a-mile-in-my-moccasins'. I hope this is taken in a good light, but I would like to recommend three books: "Freedom From the Known" by Jiddu Krishnamurti, "The Natural Superiority of Women" by Ashley Montagu, and "Destruction of the Black Civilization: Great Issues of Race from 4500 BC to 2000 AD" by Dr. William Chancellor.

These 'lines in the sand'; of sex, race, nationality, religion, football teams and the like are all divisive, and promote hostility, violence, and war. But racism is powerful and is expanded, supported and maintained in all nine areas of people activity: economics, education, entertainment, labor, law, politics, religion, sex, and war. And I am obliged to mention here that, I only comment on race and racism because you brought up the subject in your comment.

The thought process that the majority of people of color want or need a 'hand-out', or a 'hand-up', is absurd. But a level playing field; well that wouldn't hurt a bit.


Carrie No,this book shouldn't be banned. It's important. It has a voice,and it needs to be heard.


Sherri Should this book be banned? Absolutely NOT. Life isn't all about rainbows and lollipops. I agree with Carrie, this book needs to be heard. I also do not feel that race should play a part. Abuse is not only common in black people, it is common in all races and cultures, unfortunately. The same thing with poverty.


back to top

all discussions on this book | post a new topic


Books mentioned in this topic

Push (other topics)