Challenge: 50 Books discussion

1229 views
Who Are You?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 359) (359 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

message 1: by Aprile (new)

Aprile (aprileb) I hope this is okay. I just thought it would be fun to get to know each other a little better!

Name:
Where do you live:
Age (Optional):
What are you studying/What are you working as:
What makes you happy:
What are you listening to now/have listened to last:
An interesting fact about you:
Favourite place to be:
Favorite lyric:
Favourite book:
Favourite movie:

RECOMMEND TO THE GROUP
1. A film:
2. A book:
3. A song:
4: A band:


message 2: by Aprile (new)

Aprile (aprileb) Name: Aprile
Where do you live: Ontario, Canada
Age (Optional): 24
What are you studying/What are you working as: Currently I am job searching.
What makes you happy: Being with friends and family, reading a good book, seeing babies smile, lots of things!
What are you listening to now/have listened to last: Lately I have been listening to the Twilight soundtrack and Incredibad by The Lonely Island
An interesting fact about you: I play the tuba
Favourite place to be: With my family and friends
Favorite lyric: "Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way" - Pink Floyd
Favourite book: Fall On Your Knees - Anne Marie Macdonald
Favourite movie: This one is tough! ONE of my favourites (I can't choose one as my top favourite) is Across the Universe

RECOMMEND TO THE GROUP
1. A film: Hairspray (the new one) or Across the Universe
2. A book: Fall on Your Knees or The Poisonwood Bible
3. A song: Time - Pink Floyd
4: A band: Air Traffic



message 3: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin (kraaivrouw) Name: Caitlin
Where do you live: San Leandro, CA
Age (Optional): 45
What are you studying/What are you working as: I'm a regional quality manager for a large healthcare organization.
What makes you happy: Reading, my sweetie, my cat.
What are you listening to now/have listened to last: Listening to my husband study Spanish, atm.
An interesting fact about you: I have a huge tattoo on my back.
Favourite place to be: Home.
Favorite lyric: Only a dark cocoon before I get my gorgeous wings/And fly away - Joni Mitchell (Last Time I Saw Richard)
Favourite book: Where the Wild Things Are
Favourite movie: All About Eve

RECOMMEND TO THE GROUP
1. A film: Diva or Paris, Texas
2. A book: The Corner A Year in the Life of an Inner-City Neighborhood
3. A song: Crazy - Gnarls Barkley
4: A band: Thelonious Monk (not a band, but always worth a listen with or without John Coltrane)


message 4: by Emily (last edited Apr 26, 2009 03:44PM) (new)

Emily (emuller13) Name: Emily
Where do you live: Massachusetts
Age (Optional): 14
What are you studying/What are you working as: I'm still in school of course, but I work at the barn that I horseback ride at
What makes you happy: listening to my music, my dogs, drawing
What are you listening to now/have listened to last: Cowgirls Don't Cry by Brooks and Dunn
An interesting fact about you: I am a real band nerd. I play the clarinet, bass clarinet, alto saxophone, and guitar
Favourite place to be: the barn, my room
Favorite lyric: I've never gone with the wind, just let it flow/Let it take me where it wants to go - Crazier by Taylor Swift
Favourite book: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Favourite movie: Titanic

RECOMMEND TO THE GROUP
1. A film: Any of the Lord of the Rings Movies
2. A book: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
3. A song: Backwards by Rascal Flatts
4: A band: Queen


message 5: by Meranda (new)

Meranda (msl87) Name: Mandy
Where do you live: Tampa, FL
Age (Optional): 22
What are you studying/What are you working as: Studying - Secondary Education - English; working as a Clerical Supervisor for an insurance company
What makes you happy: My dog and cat, my little sisters, when the Bucs win, going to the beach, and a good cup of coffee.
What are you listening to now/have listened to last: I have recently found my long lost Fall Out Boy CD from high school!
An interesting fact about you: I am double jointed in my shoulders.
Favorite place to be: the beach
Favorite lyric: "Some of God's greatest gifts are unaswered prayers."
Favorite book: The Catcher in the Rye
Favorite movie: Dirty Dancing

RECOMMEND TO THE GROUP
1. A film: Tallageda Nights - even if you hate NASCAR, it is HILLARIOUS!
2. A book: A Prayer for Owen Meany - AMAZING!!
3. A song: The Dance - Garth Brooks
4: A band: Sugarland

Aprile, is the 'u' in 'favourite' how they spell it in Canada?? (and cool post!!)


message 6: by Aprile (new)

Aprile (aprileb) Mandy wrote: "Aprile, is the 'u' in 'favourite' how they spell it in Canada?? (and cool post!!)

Hehehe yeah, I forgot that people in the USA don't spell it the British spelling! And thanks! We read each other's lists and I thought it would be nice to find out a bit more about each other!

I love Dirty Dancing! Have you seen the play? It's fantastic! My mom and I saw it twice!


message 7: by Carrie (new)

Carrie Name: Carrie
Where do you live: Orange, California
Age (Optional): 22 (at the moment)
What are you studying/What are you working as: graphic design (studying toward), sketch artisan (at Disneyland - work)
What makes you happy: family, friends, pets, time off of work, finishing a project
What are you listening to now/have listened to last: Sound of Music Extended Soundtrack
An interesting fact about you: I can move one eye independantly of the other
Favourite place to be: Disneyland
Favorite lyric: "Who can say if I've been changed for the better?/But, because I knew you/I have been changed for good..." -"For Good" (Wicked, the musical)
Favourite book: Pride and Prejudice
Favourite movie: Alice in Wonderland

RECOMMEND TO THE GROUP
1. A film: The Patriot
2. A book: "The Thirteenth Tale" - Diane Setterfield
3. A song: "Weeping" -Josh Groban
4: A band: Adele (single artist)



message 8: by Natalee (new)

Natalee (nataleem00) I'm new... like brand spankin' new! Thought this was a good way to say hello and mention a few things about myself at the same time.

Name: Natalee
Where do you live: Texas
Age (Optional): 34 (i think)
What are you studying/What are you working as: I work for an environmental company
What makes you happy: being with my hubby and three daughters... and finding time to read!
What are you listening to now/have listened to last: "chill-out" mix on ipod - specifically Oscar Wilde "Company of Thieves"
An interesting fact about you: I love useless trivia
Favourite place to be: Disneyworld
Favorite lyric: hmmm, hard one... have to come back to that
Favourite book: A Great and Terrible Beauty
Favourite movie: Talladega Nights... I dont like Nascar (at all!) but that movie cracks me up like no other. I still quote it.

RECOMMEND TO THE GROUP
1. A film: Secondhand Lions
2. A book: Gemma Doyle Trilogy
3. A song: Slow Dancing in a Burning Room -- John
Mayer
4: A band: Tristan Prettyman



message 9: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (MaryTodd) | 924 comments Name: Mary Todd
Where do you live: Minnesota
Age (Optional): real, real, old
What are you studying/What are you working as: teacher
What makes you happy: my hunny and my sons and their girlfriend and wife
What are you listening to now/have listened to last: I listen to books on tape.
An interesting fact about you: I once owned a World Champion Morgan horse.
Favourite place to be: Key West
Favorite lyric:
Favourite book: To Kill a Mockingbird or Prodigal Spring or Even Cowgirls Get the Blues
Favourite movie: To Kill a Mockingbird

RECOMMEND TO THE GROUP
1. A film: The Big Lebowski
2. A book: The Blind Assasin
3. A song: Yesterday/The Beatles
4: A band: oh geez...how about B.B.King (I love the blues.)


message 10: by Megan (new)

Megan Lyons | 83 comments Aprile wrote: "Name: Aprile
Where do you live: Ontario, Canada
Age (Optional): 24
What are you studying/What are you working as: Currently I am job searching.
What makes you happy: Being with friends and ..."


Wow, we have so much in common. I always recommend "Fall on your Knees," I am Canadian and a 25 year old job seeker. :)


message 11: by Megan (new)

Megan Lyons | 83 comments
Name: Megan
Where do you live: Vancouver, Canada
Age (Optional): 25
What are you studying/What are you working as: Degrees: BA with Major in English and Minors in History and Humanities, BED and Teaching Certification. I am job hunting at the moment.
What makes you happy: My dogs, sunshine, books.
An interesting fact about you: I used to dance but am very clumsy.
Favourite place to be: At the beach on a sunny day with a good book.
Favourite book: Fall on Your Knees by Ann-Marie MacDonald.
Favourite movie: Great Expectations (1996 version with Gwenyth Paltrow and Ethan Hawke)

RECOMMEND TO THE GROUP
1. A film: In America
2. A book: Fall on Your Knees

I skipped the music questions b/c I don't really listen to a lot of music.


message 12: by Lexi (new)

Lexi | 345 comments Name: Lexi
Where do you live: Washington
Age (Optional): 15
What are you studying/What are you working as: highschool student.
What makes you happy: My cats, reading, hanging with friends.
What are you listening to now/have listened to last: Mad Workd (Adam Lanbert from American Idol)
An interesting fact about you: I have 5 cats.
Favourite place to be: At home with family.
Favorite lyric: "I find it kand of funny, I find it kind of sad, the dreams in which i'm dieing are the best i've ever had" -Mad World
Favourite book: The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong
Favourite movie: Man on Fire

RECOMMEND TO THE GROUP
1. A film: Man on Fire
2. A book: The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong
3. A song: just one? umm Mad World i guess (I seem to be obsessed with that song at the moment...)
4: A band: Family Force 5



message 13: by Aryll (new)

Aryll (things_change) | 89 comments Name: Aryll
Where do you live: US, not saying anything else
Age (Optional): rather not say
What are you studying/What are you working as: highschool student
What makes you happy: music
What are you listening to now/have listened to last: Don't You Know Who I Think I Am by Fall Out Boy
An interesting fact about you: I listen to too much music
Favourite place to be: my room or backyard
Favorite lyric: "Blood in our hearts, Blood on our hands, We cry out, we're fighting, it's warfare, we're dying, Believing we're winning, it's ending, we're singing, It's already done, We've overcome" -Justice and Mercy (Flyleaf) (sry that was really long)
Favourite book: Uglies
Favourite movie: Don't have one

RECOMMEND TO THE GROUP
1. A film: ....idk
2. A book: Uglies
3. A song: Pressure by Paramore
4: A band:Paramore


message 14: by Cecilia (new)

Cecilia (cissygold) Name: Cecilia
Where do you live: San Jose, CA
Age (Optional): 42
What are you studying/What are you working as: Mother
What makes you happy: Spending time with my daughter and dog/Hanging out with my friends
What are you listening to now/have listened to last: Van Morrison's Moondance Album
An interesting fact about you: I cannot sleep when it rains.
Favourite place to be: My backyard
Favorite lyric: If I traded it all-If I gave it all away for one thing-Just for one thing-If I sorted it out-If I knew all about this one thing-Wouldn't that be something --- Finger Eleven
Favourite book: Pride & Prejudice
Favourite movie: Elizabeth Town

RECOMMEND TO THE GROUP
1. A film: Milk
2. A book: The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón
3. A song: Be My Girl-Sally by The Police (you will pee your pants)
4: A band: Too many to name..


message 15: by Leighann (last edited Apr 28, 2009 07:46PM) (new)

Leighann (zhelenstilo) Name: Leighann
Where do you live: Wisconsin
Age (Optional): 27
What are you studying/What are you working as: Almost done with my second BA. (First one in Spanish with a minor in Japanese, this one in Computer Science.)
What makes you happy: languages (particularly Japanese), reading, music, translating
What are you listening to now/have listened to last: STRENGTH by abingdon boys school
An interesting fact about you: I've been studying Spanish (much) longer than I have Japanese, but I speak and understand Japanese better nowadays. (Never underestimate the power of obsession. ^_^; )
Favourite place to be: my bed and the comfy leather chair in the living room
Favourite book: I have to choose one?
Favourite movie: Don't watch many movies anymore, and don't really have a favorite. ^_^;

RECOMMEND TO THE GROUP
2. A book: American Gods by Neil Gaiman
3. A song: Koyoi, Tsuki ga Miezu Tomo by Porno Graffitti (I'm obsessed with this song at the moment. ^_^; )
4: A band: Porno Graffitti (They're Japanese, but they're one of my favorites. And no, I haven't been spelling graffiti wrong... the band spells it that way. ^_^)



message 16: by Kourtney (new)

Kourtney (adorrable524) Name: Kourtney (I just joined the group today!)
Where do you live: Chatsworth, CA
Age (Optional): 27
What are you studying/What are you working as: Working in HR as a generalist
What makes you happy: Reading, my dogs, and working from home! (It's the little things in life)
What are you listening to now/have listened to last: My bf screaming at the Dodger/Giants baseball game
An interesting fact about you: I never forget a face. It may take a long time for me to figure out where I know your face from but trust me - it will come to me!
Favorite place to be: On my couch
Favorite lyric: "If I could change your mind/I'd really love to break your heart"
Favorite book: Hard to choose just 1 - I love the chick lit genre and there are so many that I love...2 that come to mind would be Fishbowl by Sarah Mlynowski and A Total Waste of Makeup by Kim Gruenenfelder
Favorite movie: The Notebook (which is weird because I did not like the book and usually the book is better than the movie!)

RECOMMEND TO THE GROUP
1. A film: Role Models - I thought it would be stupid (it was) but there were some good laughs to be had from it
2. A book: Turbulent Souls: A Catholic Son's Return to His Jewish Family by Stephen Dubner. I had to read it in college for my religious studies class - I didn't think I would like it but it was actually pretty interesting.
3. A song: A Little Respect - Erasure. It gets stuck in your head and you'll be singing it for a week!
4: A band: New Kids on the Block! Only because they are doing their whole reunion tour :)



message 17: by Tristen Kiri (last edited Apr 29, 2009 11:19AM) (new)

Tristen Kiri | 60 comments Name: Tristen
Where do you live: I kinda travel constantly, but my "home base" is in Vancouver, BC
Age: 17
What are you studying/What are you working as: High School Student
What makes you happy: Music, my dogs, my friends, READING!
What are you listening to now/have listened to last: Empty Space - Air Traffic
An interesting fact about you: I travel constantly, I move every three weeks
Favorite place to be: Coachella Valley Preserve, California
Favorite lyric: Tough one... "And I feel, so much depends on the weather. So is it raining in your bedroom?" - STP
Favorite book: AH! Even tougher!.... The Idiot by Dostoevsky
Favorite movie: The Nightmare Before Christmas!

Recommend to the Group
1. A film: Shaun of the Dead ( I hate, repeat hate, horror movies but this one was brilliant)
2. A book: Your Mouth is Lovely by Nancy Richler
3. A Song: Mojo Pin by Jeff Buckley
4. A band: Lydia or Damien Rice


message 18: by Aprile (new)

Aprile (aprileb) Carrie - Wicked the musical is amazing. My husband took me to see it and a bawled at the end of the first act, and now everytime I hear the song I cry!

Natalie - I bet you are good at Jeopardy! It's our favourite game show to watch.

Megan - Holy crap! We do have a lot in common. Totally adding you!

Kourtney - Welcome! Oh, NKOTB, are you going to go see them? I had too many crushes from that band LOL

Tristen - I love Air Traffic! Most people don't know about them!


message 19: by Michael (new)

Michael (bigorangemichael) | 51 comments Name: Michael H
Where do you live: Tennessee
Age (Optional): 36
What are you studying/What are you working as: State employee
What makes you happy: Lots of things.
What are you listening to now/have listened to last: Rick and Bubba Show
An interesting fact about you: I have a lot of orange in my wardrobe
Favourite place to be: Neyland Stadium on a football Saturday when the Vols are winning
Favorite lyric: "Isn't it enough that I ruined a perfectly good pony making a gift for you?"
Favourite book: "To Kill a Mockingbird," "Lake Wobegon Days," "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"
Favourite movie: "The Searchers"

RECOMMEND TO THE GROUP
1. A film: Leatherheads
2. A book: The entire Dresden Files series
3. A song: First of May by Jonathan Coulton (NSFW!)
4: A band: Jonathan Coulton--if you're a geek, his songs are great.


message 20: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer A.M. (JenniferAM) | 106 comments Name: Jennifer
Where do you live: NW suburbs of Chicago
Age (Optional): 31
What are you studying/What are you working as: Head of Marketing and Graphics at a library
What makes you happy: dinner parties
What are you listening to now/have listened to last: NPR - "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me"
An interesting fact about you: I am due to give birth to my first child in 4 days. Wish me luck!
Favourite place to be: St. John V.I.
Favorite lyric: "Let me hear you say the words I long to hear
Darling when you're near
Words of love you whisper soft and true
Darling I love you" - The Beatles - The Beatles For Sale

Favourite book: The Relic by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child

Favourite movie: Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

RECOMMEND TO THE GROUP
1. A film: The Quiet Man
2. A book: Memoirs of a Geisha
3. A song: I'm just a girl by No Doubt
4: A band:Morrissey


message 21: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (Diva2416) Name: Alicia
Where do you live: Rochester, New York
Age (Optional): will be 27 in less than a month
What are you studying/What are you working as: Degree in English & Paralegal Studies but am an assistant to a financial advisor
What makes you happy: Lazy days spent at home with my husband and puppy, reading, and my book club meetings
What are you listening to now/have listened to last: random mix on my iPod have been listening to a lot of Beatles lately
An interesting fact about you: my dog is named Abby Normal after a line in the movie Young Frankenstein
Favourite place to be: Clearwater Florida
Favorite lyric: "There is no future, there is not past, I live this moment as my last"- RENT soundtrack
Favourite book: Catcher in the Rye
Favourite movie: The Little Mermaid

RECOMMEND TO THE GROUP
1. A film: Clue
2. A book: The Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins
3. A song: So Close- Jon McLaughlin
4: A band: Queen- I have gotten really into them lately.


message 22: by Dini (new)

Dini Name: Dini
Where do you live: Jakarta, Indonesia
Age (Optional): 24
What are you studying/What are you working as: I'm working as a writer for a news website.
What makes you happy: nice people, good books, great food
What are you listening to now/have listened to last: Teenage Love Affair by Alicia Keys
An interesting fact about you: I've learned bits of Japanese, French, Chinese, Spanish and Korean. I only remember smaller bits of each.
Favourite place to be: home, a good bookstore
Favorite lyric: "You make all the fashion statements just by dressing up your mind." -The Beauty in Ugly by Jason Mraz
Favourite book: The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
Favourite movie: I don't have absolute favorites. But lately I've enjoyed James McAvoy's movies such as Atonement, Wanted, Becoming Jane, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.

RECOMMEND TO THE GROUP
1. A film: Burn After Reading
2. A book: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon
3. A song: You Give Me Something by James Morrisson
4: A band: Chemistry (Japanese vocal duo)


message 23: by Persephone (new)

Persephone | 146 comments Name: Eva
Where do you live: Prague, Czech Republic
Age (Optional): 26
What are you studying/What are you working as: Personal assistant in IT
What makes you happy: good book with glass of good wine
What are you listening to now/have listened to last: Depeche Mode - Sounds of the Universe
An interesting fact about you: have small cat and huge black dog:)
Favourite place to be: bed
Favorite lyric: dunno
Favourite book: IT - Stephen King
Favourite movie: The Shinning (Kubrick)

RECOMMEND TO THE GROUP
1. A film: The Cremator (Spalovac Mrtvol) - Old czech movie (excellent horror)
2. A book: A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini
3. A song: K.N.K.A - Project Pitchfork
4: A band: Deine Lakaien or Project Pitchfork



message 24: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (trak) | 32 comments Name:Tracey
Where do you live: Canberra, Aust
What are you working as: servant of the public
What makes you happy: life and all its ups and downs
What are you listening to now/have listened to last:Sia - Some People Have Real Problems
Favourite place to be: somewhere warm
Favorite lyric: Well, the bells out in the church tower chime, Burning clues into this heart of mine Jeff Buckley
Favourite book:On the Road - Jack Kerouac
Favourite movie: Three Colours Red

RECOMMEND TO THE GROUP
1. A film: Lost in Austen (TV Miniseries)very funny
2. A book: Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco
3. A song: Soon we'll be found - Sia
4: A band: Massive Attack


message 25: by Tara (new)

Tara (Tara3117) | 22 comments Name: Tara
Where do you live: Haverhill, MA
Age (Optional): 27
What are you studying/What are you working as: Budget Analyst in a major hospital
What makes you happy: Pants warm from the dryer.
What are you listening to now/have listened to last: My iPod on Shuffle - my music taste is pretty random.
An interesting fact about you: I just started running and plan on doing a 5k this summer.
Favourite place to be: My couch
Favorite lyric: "Don't blame me I just want to dance" (Hey Ya by Outkast)
Favourite book: A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks
Favourite movie: Moulin Rouge

RECOMMEND TO THE GROUP
1. A film: Dogma
2. A book: If Life is a Game, These are the Rules
3. A song: Heart of a Champion by Nelly
4: A band: Bowling for Soup (a little punky, but I love them!)



message 26: by Persephone (new)

Persephone | 146 comments Tara wrote: "RECOMMEND TO THE GROUP
1. A film: Dogma
2. A book: If Life is a Game, These are the Rules
3. A song: Heart of a Champion by Nelly
4: A band: Bowling for Soup (a little punky, but I love them!)

i>

Yeah.. Dogma.. great movie:)))



message 27: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (MaryTodd) | 924 comments kudos to Aprile for this awesome discussion!


message 28: by Kate (new)

Kate (KateKSH) | 612 comments Name: Kate
Where do you live: Western Massachusetts
Age (Optional): 41
What are you studying/What are you working as: working as a lawyer for a child welfare agency; studying life
What makes you happy: my three sons
What are you listening to now/have listened to last:
One of the discs from a 4 volume "Sounds of New Orleans" -- jazzy BLUES
An interesting fact about you: not feeling too creative, here -- how about: I want to write a book.
Favourite place to be: The ocean: especially if the kids are there!
Favorite lyric: I think life's too short for all the sorrow; we might be here today/gone tomorrow. I might as well get what I want . . . I want to live. Tell it like it is.
Favourite book: THERE ARE SOOOOOOOO MANY! The Reader? Tree Grows in Brooklyn? Running w/ Scissors???
Favourite movie: I don't have a favorite anymore -- we usually see animated films these days. My favs are OLD

RECOMMEND TO THE GROUP
1. A film: Usual Suspects??
2. A book: The Reader
3. A song: TELL IT LIKE IT IS (I like Heart's version; lotsa people sing it though)
4: A band: I like songs more than groups: Sting? u2? Heart? Fleetwood Mac? Van Morrison?





message 29: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (MaryTodd) | 924 comments gosh..I'm even older than I thought! I'm the only one over 45 (and I'm even over 55!)!


message 30: by Kate (new)

Kate (KateKSH) | 612 comments It's just a number Mary . . . (says the 2nd oldest in the group???). What's a few years among booklovers?????


message 31: by Kate (last edited May 01, 2009 05:41PM) (new)

Kate (KateKSH) | 612 comments Or maybe the 4th oldest . . .


message 32: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (MaryTodd) | 924 comments I love you all!


message 33: by Danine (new)

Danine (dulcemea) Name: Danine
Where do you live: Longmont, Colorado
Age (Optional): 31
What are you studying/What are you working as: I'm a stay at home mom. I study Latin among dozens of other things. Might be a phone actress someday. lol.
What makes you happy: Writing while sipping a mandarin tonics and listening to Tool and Tori Amos. Oh yeah. Knitting makes me very happy.
What are you listening to now/have listened to last: Morrissey. I listen to Gangsta rap while I knit.
An interesting fact about you: I think of cheese enchiladas every day.
Favourite place to be: Alone in a room
Favorite lyric: "The poetry that comes from the squaring off between,And the circling is worth it
Finding beauty in the dissonance...I've done the math enough to know the dangers of our second guessing. Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication." -Schism by Tool
Favourite book: The Complete Poems: Anne Sexton
Favourite movie: Kama Sutra

RECOMMEND TO THE GROUP
1. A film: Darjeeling Limited
2. A book: The Lottery by Shirley Jackson (short story)
3. A song: That Old Black Magic by Frank Sinatra
4: A band: TOOL



message 34: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Mandy wrote: "Name: Mandy
Where do you live: Tampa, FL
Age (Optional): 22
What are you studying/What are you working as: Studying - Secondary Education - English; working as a Clerical Supervisor for an insur..."


I don't like NASCAR or Will Farrell but I loved "Talledaga Nights!"




message 35: by Kate (new)

Kate (KateKSH) | 612 comments Mary Todd wrote: "I love you all!"

And life is good!


message 36: by librarian4Him02 (new)

librarian4Him02 | 173 comments Cool, I've finally got time to do this. Okay here goes

Name: Juli

Where do you live: Bay Area, CA

Age (Optional): 36

What are you studying/What are you working as: Librarian

What makes you happy: Flower, a good book, the smell of a lunch box packed with love and especially, seeing how God is at work in the lives of my friends and family members.

What are you listening to now/have listened to last: A podcast on Christian parenting

An interesting fact about you: I really don't like loud noises like fireworks and balloons popping. Don't know how interesting that is, but it is factual.

Favourite place to be: at home

Favorite lyric: Hmm...I can't think of one at the moment, but when I do, I'll come back and edit the post.

Favourite book: I can only pick one? Okay, I'd have to say, from my reading list so far this year, it's a toss up between The Graveyard Book and The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. Those are the two that have stuck with me the most.

Favourite movie: Again, I can only pick one? Guess I'd have to go with The Princess Bride.

RECOMMEND TO THE GROUP
1. A film: I would recommend revisiting the classics like musicals or silent films, things that just don't get made anymore, but have lasting value.

2. A book: The Graveyard Book, one of the best I've read this year.

3. A song: Blessed be the Name of the Lord

4: A band: Newsboys.

This was fun, Aprile. Thanks for thinking it up.

Juli


message 37: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Name: Valerie
Where do you live: New Hampshire, USA
Age (Optional): almost 30!
What are you studying/What are you working as: Studied Art History but am now a stay at home mom
What makes you happy: sunshine, my son and husband, junk food, books
What are you listening to now/have listened to last: Daphne Loves Derby
An interesting fact about you: I love the color grey
Favourite place to be: in bed
Favorite lyric: can't think of one at the moment
Favourite book: right now, The Road by Cormac McCarthy
Favourite movie: Seabiscuit

RECOMMEND TO THE GROUP
1. A film: Lars and the Real Girl
2. A book: Crow Lake
3. A song: Heartbeats by The Knife
4: A band: Valencia

Thanks for starting this, Aprile!


message 38: by Aprile (new)

Aprile (aprileb) You are all very welcome!

Thank you all for doing it!


message 39: by Jen (new)

Jen (Jenzin) Brand new member to the site! Hi, all!

Where do you live: Idaho, USA

Age (Optional): Mental or physical? 39 in 10 days.

What are you studying/What are you working as: I am a freelance photographer.

What makes you happy: My husband, our two dogs, long distance cycling...

What are you listening to now/have listened to last: Kings of Leon - Crawl

An interesting fact about you: I am riding a 100 mile bike event later this summer around Crater Lake.

Favourite place to be: At home with my hubby or on my bike.

Favorite lyric: "...no one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun." Pink Floyd - Time

Favourite book: Way too many to list!

Favourite movie: Don't watch TV or movies.

RECOMMEND TO THE GROUP

1. A book: A History of the World in 6 Glasses - T. Standage

2. A song: Silence - Delerium with Sarah McLachlan

3: A band: The Tragically Hip


message 40: by Hyacinth (new)

Hyacinth (HyacinthLo) | 34 comments Name: Hyacinth (pronounced HA-ya-sinth... it gets mispronounced a lot):)
Where do you live:Chicago
Age: 21
What are you studying/What are you working as: Right now I'm a barista at Starbucks and just getting my generals out of the way at school. Not sure yet what I want to major in.
What makes you happy: friends and my puppy
What are you listening to now/have listened to last: Bob Dylan - The Tambourine Man
An interesting fact about you: I comforted by numbers and math. I have no problem remembering new phone numbers and street addresses and the like.
Favorite place to be: In a bed with a good book and a good cup of tea.
Favorite lyric: We are kings among runaways - the Decemberists.
Favourite book: hmmm anything by Edith Wharton or Dumas Pere.
Favourite movie: Fight Club, Memento, Lost in Translation, and Marie Antoinette (not so much the movie but the costumes and scenery)

RECOMMEND TO THE GROUP
1. A film: Bolt (hahah sorry just saw this and thought it was so cute and funny)
2. A book: The Book Thief
3. A song: In an Aeroplane over the Sea - Neutral Milk Hotel
4: A band: Neutral Milk Hotel!


message 41: by Jen (new)

Jen (Jenzin) Hi, Donna! As for TV, meh, I would rather read. Movies, I just don't care for what Hollywood churns out these days. On the rare occasion I do watch a movie, it is usually an independent film with more emphasis on the story rather than a specific actor or two and the characters they portray. Or the movie has British actor Jason Isaacs in it! I confess, I have a weakness for that man.


message 42: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer A.M. (JenniferAM) | 106 comments Donna wrote: "I wish you the best in delivering your baby!

"

Thanks Donna - We're still waiting, but we're very excited!




message 43: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 392 comments Hi everyone, I think I'm the first from the UK!

Name: Maggie
Where do you live: Wolverhampton, UK
Age: mentally 22, physically 52
What are you studying/working as: I'm retired because of ill health - rheumatoid arthritis - gives me lots of timeto read!
What makes you happy: Lots of things, family,
friends, getting new books/music,
What are you listening to/have listened to last: Washington Square Serenade by Steve Earle, Dig Lazarus Dig by Nick Cave and Lie Down in the Light by Bonnie Prince Billy
An intesting fact about you: I have metal hips, knees and elbows
Favourite place to be: Majorca
Favourite lyric: 'cos tramps like us baby we were born to run - Born to Run (my hero - Bruce Springsteen)
Favourite book: Lots, but favourite at mo Master Butchers Singing Club - Louise Erdrich
Favourite movie: Again lots, but I love Once upon a time in America, The Godfather, that sort of stuff

Recommend:

Film: Eastern Promises or Twin Peaks (series)
Book: Not so Quiet - Stepdaughters of War - Helen Zenna Smith
Song: Whats a girl to do - Bat for Lashes
Band: Kasabian

It's really difficult choosing favourites!


message 44: by Tina (new)

Tina (BiblioMama319) Name: Tina
Where do you live: lately of Chapel Hill, NC
Age: 27
What are you studying/What are you working as: Getting my Masters degree in Library Science in 5 days! And job hunting.
What makes you happy: my husband, the beach, the sun, Doritos
What are you listening to now/have listened to last: something classical while I wrote my last school paper
An interesting fact about you: When I have a house, I want to build my own library.
Favourite place to be: the beach
Favorite lyric: "If there's no storm, how can I feel the calm?" - If You Don't Wanna Love Me by James Morrison
Favourite book: Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse
Favourite movie: The Departed

RECOMMEND TO THE GROUP
1. A film: Rachel Getting Married
2. A book: The Pianist
3. A song: The Love You Save (May Be Your Own) by Joe Tex
4: A band: Led Zeppelin


message 45: by Tina (new)

Tina (BiblioMama319) Donna wrote: "
Tina, congratulations on your degree, and good luck with the job hunting ..."


Thanks, Donna!


message 46: by Jane (new)

Jane Name: Jane

Where do you live?: Portland, OR

Age: 20's

What are you studying/working as: low income housing

What makes you happy: working on my novel, spending time with my niece and nephews, and playing the "What is it?" game with my best friend.

What are you listening to now/listened to last: listening to OPB radio, last listened to NPR's "Planet Money" broadcast. Explains economy business in layman's terms.

An interesting fact about you: I fractured my skull when I was four, fell of a porch.

Favorite place to be: the Oregon coast

Favorite lyric: "I would live on the street in a cardboard shack/Just to worship the feet and the curve of your back" DeVotchka "Queen of the Surface Streets." Lovely.

Favorite Book: Close tie between To Kill a Mockingbird and the Master and Margarita

Favorite Movie: Mulholland Drive

Recommend to the Group
1. Film: The Fall
2. Book: Watchmen
3. Song: Colin Meloy's "Here I Dreamt I Was an Architect"
4. Band: Fleet Foxes




message 47: by Robyn333 (new)

Robyn333 | 2 comments Name: Robyn
Where do you live: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
Age (Optional): 62
What are you studying/What are you working as: Australian Red Cross in Community Services
What makes you happy: Family (lots of them including 7 grandkids & two dogs Rajah and Ruby)
What are you listening to now/have listened to last: Salsa Celtica (amazing Scotish band)
An interesting fact about you: I walk my dogs every morning at 6.00 am
Favourite place to be: Near the Ocean
Favorite lyric: No memory for lyrics
Favourite book: Pride & Prejudice
Favourite movie: Pride & Prejudice (the first one with Laurence Olivier)

RECOMMEND TO THE GROUP
1. A film: Defiance
2. A book: Georgina Duchess of Devonshire
3. A song: All songs from Movie Marie Antioinette
4: A band: The view from Madleine's couch



message 48: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jess0702) Name: Jessica
Where do you live: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Age (Optional): 22
What are you studying/What are you working as: 7th and 8th Grade Engish teacher in North Philly/ grad student in urban education
What makes you happy: seeing my family and spending time with my friends.
What are you listening to now/have listened to last: last night's American Idol performances.
An interesting fact about you: I had 6 wisdom teeth before they took them out.
Favourite place to be: anywhere in the woods/beaches of New England
Favorite lyric: When push comes to shove you taste what you're made of (a Rascal Flatts song)
Favourite book: tons...but I do reread Lord of the Rings probably once a year
Favourite movie: the LOTR trilogy

RECOMMEND TO THE GROUP
1. A film: Lord of the Rings
2. A book: A Painted House, by John Grisham
3. A song: The Heart of Life
4: A band: I love John Mayer


message 49: by Ryan Mac (new)

Ryan Mac | 78 comments

Name: Ryan
Where do you live: St Paul, MN
Age (Optional): 33
What are you studying/What are you working as: Working as financial systems mgr and trying to learn Spanish
What makes you happy: a nice round of golf, burger and malt and relaxing on the couch with family and good book
What are you listening to now/have listened to last: iPod on shuffle--little bit of everything
An interesting fact about you: I worked full time and went to law school at night for four years, mostly because I thought it would be interesting
Favourite place to be: Duluth, MN by Lake Superior
Favorite lyric: Companion to our demons
they will dance, and we will play
With chairs, candles, and cloth
making darkness in the day (Sarah McLachlan - Fumbling Towards Ecstasy - my son was born to this lyric in the hospital)
Favourite book: Several but I'll go with The Stand by Stephen King
Favourite movie: The Lord of the Rings trilogy

RECOMMEND TO THE GROUP
1. A film: The Natural - best baseball movie ever made
2. A book: The Weatherman by Steve Thayer
3. A song: Fumbling Towards Ecstasy - Sarah McLachlan
4: A band: Dropkick Murphys (my wife loves them and they have grown on me)



message 50: by Bookish (new)

Bookish (LWSpotts) Name: Laura
Where do you live: Tennessee
Age (Optional): 39
What are you studying/What are you working as: Mommy
What makes you happy: my hubby & kiddo, good books, good music, good food, good friends
What are you listening to now/have listened to last: currently listening to The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox by Maggie O'Farrell
An interesting fact about you: I have been skydiving, and I am a certified scuba diver
Favourite place to be: home with my hubby & kiddo
Favorite lyric: "Fat bottomed girls, they make the rockin' world go 'round." --Queen
Favourite book: so many, but most recently The Queen of the South by Arturo Perez-Reverte
Favourite movie: Four Weddings and a Funeral

RECOMMEND TO THE GROUP
1. A film: Million Dollar Baby (super movie, which was unexpected)
2. A book: The Queen of the South by Arturo Perez-Reverte (specifically on audio cd - adds a great authentic element to the book)
3. A song: Fat Bottomed Girls by Queen (of course)
4: A band: Dave Matthews Band



« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8
back to top

unread topics | mark unread


Books mentioned in this topic

The Poisonwood Bible (other topics)
Fall on Your Knees (other topics)
The Corner: A Year in the Life of an Inner-City Neighborhood (other topics)
Where the Wild Things Are (other topics)
Crow Lake (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Yasunari Kawabata (other topics)
Gerald Duff (other topics)
Anton Chekhov (other topics)
Stephenie Meyer (other topics)
Nick Hornby (other topics)
More...