Who's Your Author? discussion

Archives - '09 - '10 > Dead and Gone - *Spoilers*

Comments (showing 1-50 of 70) (70 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments I am getting so excited for the next Charlaine Harris book! 10 days until Dead and Gone is released! I am currently rereading some of the others in the series to remind me of everything that's going on. The teaser chapter that Harris put on her website has me pretty excited!

message 2: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Oh man, I didn't realize it was coming out so soon!! holy crap lol. I pretty much told myself to stop thinking about it, and to stop trying to figure out where Harris was going to go with the storyline and that ended up in me forgetting when the book was coming out!!!

message 3: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments I just wish that it was one of those books that the store might put out early, but I think that the series is too popluar for them to make that mistake. I've wanted to reread at least the last few books to really remember everything that's going on, but I kept putting it off for the same reason that you made yourself stop thinking about it! I knew that if I reread them and was done BEFORE the book comes out, it would drive me crazy!

BTW, off topic, do you keep track of the books that you read each year, and if so, do you count books that you reread? I just refinished Dead Until Dark and don't know if I should add it to my 2009 books that I've read.

message 4: by Shanon (new)

Shanon (Boban) I haven't reread any books yet - but I would definately count it & add it to my 2009 bookshelf.

I can't wait for Sookie to come out! I will be reading it on 5/5 one way or another :)

message 5: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I keep track of books I read per year, but I don't include books I've re-read.

message 6: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Jess! How in the world do you have so many books that you've already read this year!!!!! I thought that I was doing good having over 50 so far. You have already read 227 books this year? That's almost 2 a day!

message 7: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I'm a fast reader lol. Also, I'm going to school right now, so I only work part time. With school winding down, on my day's off I don't have much to do, so I read. :)

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) Just ordered this one from SFBC doesn't ship until the 5th can't wait!

message 9: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I'm debating if I will buy this one.. I didn't buy the last book because it was a hardcopy. But I hate waiting for the library to get the books...

decisions, decisions.

message 10: by Dawn, Reading Guru (new)

Dawn (DawnV) | 3557 comments Jess I was number 78 on the wait list at the library so I went ahead and pre-ordered from amazon.com for $14. The only thing that sucks is the rest of my collection is in paperback ugggg now I have a hard back. Geez that drives me nuts

message 11: by Dawn, Reading Guru (new)

Dawn (DawnV) | 3557 comments Jael what is SFBC?

message 12: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Ahh Dawn, that's why I didn't want to get the hardcover. The rest are in paperback.. plus I know I'll take like 1 day to read it, and I don't want to pay the price for the hardcover. Maybe I'll get it in kindle version.

message 13: by Dawn, Reading Guru (new)

Dawn (DawnV) | 3557 comments Jess I know I so prefer paperback but I am to curious to wait. Sad but true.

I am still torn on the whole ereader kindle or sony kindle or sony???

message 14: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1831 comments I'm torn on the prices. Bah humbugh.

Oh! 30th birthday coming up...maybe I can cajole the parents into splurging for a reader. Now there's an idea...
I'm not going to be able to wait for the paperback. Too excited! But it's certainly going to annoy me, too, having one HC and the rest PB. Oh well. She's thoroughly entertaining, so she deserves my bit of money.

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) Sciene Fiction Book Club

message 16: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments All of mine are paperback except I couldn't wait for the last one, so I bought it hardcover. That makes the decision this time pretty easy for me! I don't have to work the day that it comes out, thankfully, so I intend to be at the store as soon as it opens, get my copy and spend the day reading! Those of you that preorder it to be shipped to you, I really don't know how you can wait to get it! I would be so antsy all day thinking that maybe I should just head to the store and pick it up!

message 17: by Jess (last edited Apr 27, 2009 05:23AM) (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Dawn wrote: "Jess I know I so prefer paperback but I am to curious to wait. Sad but true.

I am still torn on the whole ereader kindle or sony kindle or sony???

"

I know many people that have the sony reader and love it. I love my kindle, so it depends on what you're interested in. Some of the things I've heard people say that they don't like about the kindle is that it only lets you store on the kindle and on amazon, and you can only read books you've bought from amazon.

It doesn't bother me because I don't keep books on my computer, and I only get books from Amazon. So it depends on what you do. Either way, I think these readers are fantastic. They save paper and bookshelf space lol. The only reason I don't buy all of my books on it is because it goes directly onto my CC and i don't want to build up a big bill. So I still buy books at BN with cash or debit.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I have all of the sookie books in paperback, but I have already pre-ordered the harcover of Dead and Gone. I don't care about the price with this series anyway. Its one of my favorite series, along with BDB, so I can't possibly wait for the paperback. I do like how my paperbacks look all lined up together, so I'll probably buy the paperback also when it comes out.

message 19: by Cat (new)

Cat (shynet5025) I have order dead and gone as well as the next book that come out this fall. I read the first chapter of dead and gone on the charlaine harris website. It looks like it will be a good one.

message 20: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Now I was wondering about that book coming out this fall. What exactly is it? Is it just a compilation of all of the Sookie short stories? Because I know that Harris isn't calling it #10. Just wondering if anyone knows!

message 21: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1831 comments It's a compilation of all the short stories that have appeared in different anthologies. The publishers mentioned it at NY Comic Con. Nice to have 'em all in one place--no more scrounging around!

message 22: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Oh that's good to hear, because I think I missed one of the stories, and I keep forgetting which one it is. lol. I hate those damn anthologies. They always mess me up.

message 23: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1831 comments Amen! I wish more authors could put out compilation books!

message 24: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments I think that I've actually only read one of the short stories, because I really hate anthologies! But I would be willing to buy a compilation book, because I would know that all of the short stories in it have to do with characters that I want to read about.

message 25: by Shanon (new)

Shanon (Boban) I've also read only one of the short stories and it was on accident actually - (long story). I am not a fan of anthologies and absolutely hate it when I feel lost in a series I've been following b/c I didn't find a short story.

I do really like the idea of a compilation of short stories like Harris is doing though - I will definately be picking up that book. Maybe more authors will follow suit.

message 26: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I wonder if she will be putting in a new anthology as well. Do you know Shanon? Because otherwise I'm not going to bother with it. But if there's some new material I'd at least get it from the library.

message 27: by Shanon (new)

Shanon (Boban) I haven't heard if there's going to be any new stuff. I would hope so - otherwise, like you, many people won't bother with it b/c they've read it all and possibly own all the stories in different books already. Maybe I'll go hunt on her website & find a better answer then "I Don't Know" tonight. :)

message 28: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments lol didn't mean to put you on the spot! But her website is pretty lacking in the information section from what I've seen. I'm also too lazy to search. :)

message 29: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Well I just found out some frustrating news! Although this book is being released on 5/5, the audiobook isn't being released until the 18th! I have to work on Tuesday and I was already looking forward to listening to the audiobook all day at work, now I can't! I was already planning on buying both versions anyways, so that isn't a huge deal, but I am now going to be so antsy all day on Tuesday just wishing that I could be at home reading!!!

message 30: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments So I was just reading the description of Dead and Gone and wondering about what's going to come. I've already read the first chapter so I know that the shifters are revealing themselves, but I've been wondering about what else happens.

One part of the description is: "But there’s a far greater danger threatening Bon Temps. A race of unhuman beings—older, more powerful, and more secretive than vampires or werewolves—is preparing for war. And Sookie finds herself an all-too human pawn in their battle."

I was just wondering about what everyone thinks of that. Do you think that it's the fairies? Is she going to get pulled in because of her great-grandfather? Or will it be some other creatures that haven't even been introduced yet? Personally, I think that it will be the fae. We really haven't learned much about fairies even though they've shown up here and there throughout the series. We know quite a bit about vamps and shifters, how they are organized, about the heiarcy, but we've only gotten little hints about fairy!

Also, I'm excited to see how and if the new vamp power structure is going to effect Sookie. Even though Felipe de Castro has now offered Sookie their formal protection, I have to wonder if he's going to try to use Sookie's gift in a way that she wont like.

message 31: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I think it might have something to do with her grandfather. I can't think of any other race of beings. Unless its something that haven't been mentioned in the books yet. Ahh can't wait for it to come out!

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

I definately think that it would be the fae. We need to know more about them, and it makes sense that they would be featured in a book, similar to how the shifters have been featured.

message 33: by Shanon (new)

Shanon (Boban) Guess what today is... Dead & Gone is out - just in case anyone in this thread forgot (yeah right!).

I'm really excited to read it - in fact I just bought it & am starting as soon as I pull myself away from the computer.

message 34: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Ohhh I want to buy it so bad, but I just can't do it. It's hardcover!!! I'll have to wait to get it from the library. ugh. bummer.

hmm.. i could kindle it..... hmmm...

message 35: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments personally, I'd kindle it! Who knows how long before you could get it from the library!

message 36: by Melinda (new)

Melinda (craftymommy) | 23 comments I'm so excited it comes out today! I'm impatient. If I could leave work now and buy it I would. As it is I'll be rushing over to the nearest bookstore as soon as work is out. Can.Not.Wait.

message 37: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Wow! I just finished it! I have so many thoughts and questions running through my head that it might take me a while to sort it all out!

message 38: by Shanon (new)

Shanon (Boban) That was fast Kelley Anne!

I started this morning but the world is against me getting time to read today - I'm only about 1/4th through. The hard part is I want to savour the book, take my time & enjoy it, BUT I want to know what's next SO BAD that I have a feeling it will be done tonight & I'll have to wait another year for more.

message 39: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments lol, I really tried to slow myself down and savor it, but I just couldn't!!! It was too great! Luckily, for the most part I was completely uninterupted all day. Except that the phone kept ringing ever 5 minutes during the last 100 pages!

message 40: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments After all my whining about it being hardcover, I bought the damn book anyway. lol. I'll probably read it tonight!

Can't wait to talk about it after I read it.

message 41: by Melinda (new)

Melinda (craftymommy) | 23 comments ***SPOILERS****

So, when does the next Sookie novel come out? ;p I loved the book. A couple of thoughts. I'm getting a wee bit tired of the indecision Sookie is having with Eric {and Bill}. I'm only half kidding about the next novel - I want to know what the hell happened that prevented Eric from rescuing Sookie earlier and pissing him off about Bill. And the whole being Eric's wife thing. There has to be more to it than that; wonder what's going to happen with that now.

I wanted to know more about the fae. Oh - and poor Claudine! She was one of my favorite characters. I was so torn apart.

So much more in my head since I just finished reading, but those are the things that stick out.

message 42: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments ***Major Spoilers***

Ok, I've started to sort out all of the thoughts running through my head! They don't all necessarily make sense, lol, but I can finally type what I'm thinking. An apology to start with though. I am sure that this is going to end up being a long post. I have so many thoughts about this book that I just have to share and see what everyone else is thinking. Also, since it is so long, and since I am also part of the Sookie Stackhouse Book/Show Group, I'll probably just post the exact same post on both groups. So, if you happen to be a member of both, you certainly don't need to read the post twice!

Ok, first off, I just have to mention what a bitch Arlene has turned out to be! I mean, she's never been one of my favorite characters, and I know that she's intolerant. But how in the world can you go so quickly from being friends with someone to being willing to orchestrate their death?!? She just really pissed me off!

Next, there's something that has bugged me a bit in other books in this series, but really got to me in this book. Sookie feeling so overly guilty all of the time is really getting on my nerves! I lost track of the number of times that she speculated that she's a bad christian because she didn't turn the other cheek and let herself be killed!!! Ridiculous! I am a Christian and I don't believe for one second that in a life or death situation you are supposed to just roll over and choose death, just because you don't think that it's Christian to be violent. You're protecting yourself! Yes, taking someone's life should be difficult to deal with no matter what the circumstances are. It should be hard to cope with, but stop feeling like you are a horrible person because you didn't let them kill you! Also, she was blaming herself for everything that happened at Arlene's! How in the hell could she blame herself for that?!? The people to blame are Arlene and those two asshole FotS guys!

Now, Eric! I LOVE Eric! So, the curse was so that he would be close to his heart's desire?!? And where does he end up? Right near Sookie!!! I've heard some people speculate that Eric is only going after Sookie because he likes the chase, but if she is his heart's desire, that sure doesn't sound like a casual thing to me! Also, even if you don't always agree with Eric's methods, he does seem to keep putting himself on the line for Sookie. In All Together Dead when Eric stepped in to do the blood swap, he was sticking his neck out by questioning the actions of a higher ranking vamp. Then when he pledged himself to Sookie, he majorly risked pissing of the new King, someone that could make his life very unpleasant! And even before the fight at the end of the book, he weakened himself quite a bit giving Sookie so much blood when he knew a fight was coming. If he hadn't cared about her pain so much he could have just made sure that she had enough that she wouldn't die, and then waited until after the fight to give her more to help her heal. Also, how many times now has he taken a bullet that was meant for Sookie?

I am starting to wonder though about the male leads in books that stake their major and practically permanant claims on their lady without asking their opinion or consent. And Dead and Gone isn't the only time I've seen this lately! So, first off, in this book Eric basically married Sookie without her knowledge! I understand why he did it, but why couldn't he have discussed it with her? I mean, yeah I'm sure that she would have freaked out at first, but once she realized that it was the only way to keep the King from claiming her and taking her to Vegas, I bet that she would have gone along! The other books that I was thinking about where something similar happened were the Cassie Palmer series by Karen Chance with Mircea claiming Cassie not once, but twice without any discussion. And the other is the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs where Adam claimed Mercy as his mate without telling her and long before they ever even went out on a date! What's with these men!!!

There are a couple of questions that I have that are going to eat at me and keep me completely crazy until the next book comes out......in a year! :( Why wasn't Eric the one to save Sookie. The way that he talked, there's obviously a reason why and it seems that it really hurt him that he couldn't be the one to come to her rescue. But what in the world could the reason be!?! The other thing driving me crazy is what did Pam mean when she said, "As you live on in Sookie" at the end of the book? Could these two things even be connected somehow? From what I understood, blood bonds are EXTREMELY uncommon and usually only if a vamp is basically trying to get a human slave that they control. So that makes the bond between Sookie and Eric even more rare. Is it possible that their life forces are somehow linked now? Would something happen to one of them if the other one was to die? But part of what is bugging me was the context in which Pam said that. They were mentioning that even though Clancy is dead, he lives on in Bill since he saved Bill's life and Bill has Clancy's blood running through his viens now. Is something happening to Eric? Are he and Pam worried that for some reason he wont be around for much longer and she was trying to sooth him by saying that he will live on the same way that Clancy will?

I'm really not sure how I am supposed to wait a year for the next book! From what I've read on Charlaine Harris' blog, the next one is supposed to have a lighter tone to it. But there are a few things that are still bound to come up! Sookie still really has to deal with the FBI. They never actually got around to talking to her about what they want. Also, I personally don't think that we've seen the last of the Fae. And then there are so many things about Sookie and Eric that have to be dealt with! Like, are they really married and if so, what exactly does that mean? Is Sookie finally going to make a commitment to Eric, and if not will she finally completely break things off? I don't want to have to wait!!!

message 43: by Shanon (last edited May 06, 2009 10:24AM) (new)

Shanon (Boban) I just finished the book & I am a little in shock still I think.

*** SPOILERS ***

The last chapter has me reeling. There was so much death that was close to Sookie's personal life. She dealt with a lot of death in the explosion, but not close friends. I can't believe that Claudette died, and just when she had finally conceived. So sad - I loved her character. The fae secluding themselves also seems a little sad to me - it takes out an entire element of the story that I have loved & wanted to know more about. I am also worried about how Sookie's torture will affect her life going forward - but I'm choosing not to dwell on that thought for now.

Kelley Anne - I COMPLETELY agree with your frustration over Sookie's constant guilt. Her internal debates over whether she is a "Good" or "Bad" Christian are getting tiresome. She has done what she needed to protect herself and those that she loves. She doesn't seek out violence - it has been forced upon her.

I am also VERY curious about what kept Eric from saving Sookie & am anxious to get my hands on the next book! I'm not a fan of stories in anthologies - but I might feelings on that if I can get some answers sooner then NEXT YEAR.

The next book has so many ways it can go & so many answers that still need fleshed out. There's the FBI, Eric's reason for not saving Sookie personally, Bill's survival is still in question, if Claude will stay or go, where Dermot is, Sookie's nephew still needs help, and the implications of Eric & Sookie being married. I'm sure I'm forgetting a whole host of things but that's a lot to cover.

Does anyone know how many books are going to be in the Sookie series?

message 44: by Melinda (new)

Melinda (craftymommy) | 23 comments Charlaine Harris has said on her website that she doesn't know yet how many books she's going to write in the Sookie series. She's also said in an interview that I read (I read it on Borders somewhere) that she knows how it will end.

Didn't the book almost feel like a big tease? Too many unanswered questions. :)

Pam's statement about Eric living on in Sookie is bugging me too. I hope nothing will happen to Eric. That would just be devastating.

message 45: by Shanon (new)

Shanon (Boban) I think there are more unanswered questions then there were answers in this one. But it was a wonderful book all the same!

So Charlaine Harris knows how it will end, just not how long it will take to get there. Interesting.

I doubt Eric is going anywhere, at least I hope not! I need my Hunky Viking Vampire fix ;)

message 46: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments **SPOILERS**

I loved the book! But I agree with everyone else saying how tired they are with Sookie's "I'm a bad Christian". That might have taken up about 1/4 of the book's writing. How annoying.

I'm loving the storyline with Eric. Although, it is a little annoying that he basically married Sookie without her knowledge. But he seems to have done it for the right reasons. And he's always there to help her when she needs it (except for when she was stuck in the cave). I can't wait to find out why he wasn't there. But he was so broken up over the fact that he wasn't there when she was asking him why he iddn't come. She kept saying "I was waiting for you, and you never came" and he was practically crying over it. It's obvious they have feelings for eachother, but who knows how long Harris will keep them together.

I'm getting tired of Bill hanging around. I mean really. He's always there watching over her, but in this book his character seemed to be just there for no real purpose. It's like Harris was trying to create a storyline with him out of nothing. On the path that she has Sookie on, I just don't see the need for Bill to be around at all.

And Arlene! UGH! What a bitch. lol. She has always kind of bugged me, but now I just hate her lol.

And the last page of the book, wth was that? That Eric is living on through Sookie. Is that supposed to mean something? Does that mean they're even more connected? And which vampire was Niall referring to when he said "that vampire is a good man and cares about you". It better be Eric. Just get rid of Bill Harris, get rid of him!!!

So glad I got the book. I definitely flew through it, I'll probably re read it in a few months just to make sure I have all the details down pat :)

message 47: by Susan (new)

Susan (ofearna) still reeling and HOPING that Claudine got away somehow... after all fae aren't very prolific...

message 48: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Except Sookie's great grandpa said that she died. I would assume that he would know for sure before he'd say that. I was pretty sad about that too!

message 49: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I don't know, but I don't really trust the great grandpa. I don't doubt that he enjoys spending time with Sookie, but there's something strange about him.

I wouldn't put it past him to have said Claudine died just to try to keep Sookie from seeking out the fae and getting hurt (again).

message 50: by Shanon (new)

Shanon (Boban) Jess wrote: "I wouldn't put it past him to have said Claudine died just to try to keep Sookie from seeking out the fae and getting hurt (again)."

I didn't even think of that. I wouldn't put it past Niall to lie about Claudine's death if he thought it would be the best for Sookie.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Dead Until Dark (other topics)
The Walking Dead, Vol. 01: Days Gone Bye (other topics)
All Together Dead (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Patricia Briggs (other topics)
Karen Chance (other topics)