Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) Mockingjay discussion


787 views
Were Katniss and Peeta in love?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 114) (114 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Jene777 Were Katniss and Peeta together because they loved each other or out of necessity? What do you think?

The first two books had such a big build up of Katniss and Peeta's relationship. Describing every touch, thought or memento. The ending of the third didn't touch on anything that made it seem they loved each other. Even the way Katniss describes having kids for Peeta seemed more of an obligation/favor for Peeta.

What do you think?


Caitlyn the Compassionate Survivor I think it started as a necessity and then it became real.


Ashleigh Real.


Rebecca It turned into something real. In reality people don't just meet and fall in love instantly, that's why it's called "falling in love" it is a process it doesn't just happen. In Hunger Games Katniss did not love Peeta obviously and although he "loved" her I find it hard to believe he really understood what love was at that point seeing as how he really didn't know her. He deeply cared for her from the start and I think his caring nature definitely impacted how she would feel about him. By the time they were in Quarter Quell I think that Katniss had real feelings for Peeta but due to all the chaos and her own independence issues she tried to push those feelings aside. I think that by the end of the series, and I'm not counting the epilogue, Katniss and Peeta did love each other. I have no doubt that she loved Peeta in Mockingjay she just had bigger issues going on her life. In the epilogue I didn't get the impression that Katniss' love for Peeta came out of an obligation but I did get the feeling that she didn't want to have children with him (she always said she didn't want kids. I don't think that had anything to do with how she felt about Peeta though.


message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Paigetwo wrote: "I think it started as a necessity and then it became real."

Same.


Sara I disagree.I think he was the only person who could understand what she had endured in the arena. Gail had killed Primrose so she couldn't ever be with him. Whether it was an accident or not. Peeta was the only other option. He was available and willing. They shared a bond. She loved him in her own way but not IN love with him.


Jene777 Sara - that's what I felt too. I guess after all the stress they underwent maybe they couldn't ever truly fall in love. I mean, they described Peeta grabbing the back of a chair still to control his urge to kill her from being hijacked. Could you totally fall in love with someone you feared might kill you in the middle of the night? Could you allow yourself to love after seeing so much blood, even your children dancing on a grave.


chelly UNCONSCIOUSLY ;)


Sarah ahem ahem ahem..... (view spoiler)


message 10: by Sarah (last edited May 29, 2013 07:52AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sarah Sara wrote: "I disagree.I think he was the only person who could understand what she had endured in the arena. Gail had killed Primrose so she couldn't ever be with him. Whether it was an accident or not. Peeta..."

wait wait wait... WHAT? Gale killed PRIM? I thought it was the (view spoiler)


Jene777 Smiles~ They didn't verify but alluded that it was of Gale and Beetee's design.


and you're right, even though she didn't actually say she loved him, her saying "Real" was the closest to her telling either one she loved them.


Sarah oh. thx :)


Lindsey Peeta was in love with Katniss but I don't think that Katniss is in love with Peeta. Also they having kids is one of the most ridiculous things ever, I'm still baffled about that.


Lindsey Smiles wrote: "ahem ahem ahem..... [spoilers removed]"

She couldn't exactly tell him the opposite now could she ?


Sarah um she could.....


message 16: by Ara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ara Peeta's love is initially a feeling, an emotion, overwhelming, that inspires his loyalty and devotion. But at the end of the trilogy, it is something else. By the end of the trilogy, he does not trust his emotions, does not trust his memory, and to a large extent, does not trust Katniss. But he makes a choice. He chooses to stand by her. At this point he has seen her at her worst (whether it's because of his brainwashing or because of her kind of mental breakdown in the Capital). This decision CANNOT be made because of his initial "love" at hearing her sing, his initial loyalty and affection, because he cannot trust those memories or feelings completely. Instead, this love has to be a choice to invest in someone, Katniss, completely.
This same choice is presented to Katniss -- choose to invest completely in Peeta, or do not. Again, she has seen him at his worst. She has seen him worship the ground she walks on. She has seen him gnashing his teeth at her throat in desperation to kill her. She has seen the boy with the bread, but she has seen the boy who cannot control his hardwired impulses to kill her. She knows that this is not the boy with the bread anymore. It is not the boy willing to die for her during the games. It is not the boy willing to die to kill her during the revolution. This is a new man, and she has a choice, invest in him, or do not. She chooses to invest in him. She chooses to love him.
If we look at The Hunger Games in this spectrum, we see a very positive message that goes against the popular norm. The popular norm of love is some amazing feeling that surpasses everything you could possibly feel and leads to marriage, kids, etc. Very few novels, movies, television shows, etc, portray love as a choice. Even when a man or woman stays with their counterpart after some grand betrayal, it is not portrayed as though they were making a conscious decision, but rather as a result of this overwhelming love.
I don't wish to downplay the emotion of "love," but rather to point out a counterpoint to the emotion -- the action of "love." The action of love is what can keep marriages together and keep them strong, keep the husband and wife evolving and growing. The emotion of "love" is what can tear marriages apart (when not coupled with the action), because the heart feels what the heart feels... and the heart is a fickle organ at best. Affections and adorations change, mutate, evolve, shift, and without the action of love to strengthen the emotion...
Katniss does love Peeta. She loves as an action, not as an emotion. This is not to say she doesn't have affection and desire and other emotions connected to Peeta, she does. But her choice is what defines her love and she chooses Peeta. She chooses to love.


This explanation is not mine. I copied it from some reviewer. It's been a while ago, I copied it. But I think it explains everything. And explains what true love really is.


Jene777 Ara~ I'm glad you reposted that review. It is a great piece to contemplate and even use in our real world life.

I guess I'm just worked up because after getting to know and like Katniss for the first two books, I didn't feel ok with "leaving her" in a vague picture of her present with Peeta. There was nothing to indicate they were 'in love' but rather just committed circumstantially.


Kristen Callihan You are wrong. Their experience in the area brought them closer together. Katniss and Peeta had their own issues to deal with, yes, but because they had gone through all that and still fought to be together is impressive. You have to truly love someone to go through all that and still want to be together. Katniss and Peeta had a system to deal with his disillusion, the whole "Real" or "Not Real" thing. Really it's nothing that a soldier coming back from war might not experience. I personally feel that her feelings for Peeta were outweighing those of Gale anyways, but when they executed his plan that put a nail in it. Katniss would never be able to recover from that. The proof that they were in love, was the fact that they did have children. Katniss never wanted children because she didn't want them to grow up in the same conditions that she did. Once she put an end to the Hunger Games, and returned to her district to make things better, then the life conditions improved enough for her to consider it. Katniss and Peeta had their scare from their civil war, but they were together and building a new better life for the people in the districts. The children symbolize so much. As far as the grave part, that is more a recognition and honoring of the past while they were building a better future.


Lindsey Smiles wrote: "um she could....."

No she couldn't. If she had said no what do you think that would happen ? Peeta is only getting better because he thinks/believes that Katniss loves him, that she's doing everything out of love. How would he react when he suddenly realized that everything he thought to be real would, again, be questioned. I don't think that he would survive it.


message 20: by Sara (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sara Smiles wrote: "Sara wrote: "I disagree.I think he was the only person who could understand what she had endured in the arena. Gail had killed Primrose so she couldn't ever be with him. Whether it was an accident ..."

Smiles wrote: "Sara wrote: "I disagree.I think he was the only person who could understand what she had endured in the arena. Gail had killed Primrose so she couldn't ever be with him. Whether it was an accident ..."

He was involved with setting the parachutes off. It was his idea. Indirectly killing Prim.


Katie i don't think they were But then Katniss did fall in love with him


Shy bubbles I think it started as like a favor for Peeta or something but at the end she did fall in love with him. I just wished that the author would of wrote more on how Katniss was falling in love with Peeta:)By the way I LOVE Peeta;) GO PEETA


Shy bubbles Wait who killed Prim again? It wasn't Gale, right?
It's been quite a time since I read this book


Jene777 Rachel~ The book didn't specifically say Gale, but hinted that it was his and Beetee's design. Remember how he and Beetee were working on traps, designs, and other ways to take over the Capital people.


message 25: by Jeni (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jeni Saying Gale killed Prim because he designed the bomb that was used that day is like saying all airplane crashes are Wilbur and Orville Wright's fault.

Just because Coin used that device to manipulate Katniss doesn't mean Gale is at fault. He loved Prim like a little sister.

As for the original question, no, I don't think Peeta and Katniss "loved" each other in the classical sense, but they were very dependent on one another and content with that arrangement.

Peeta played the game from day one and claiming he loved Katniss was a great strategy for a weaker contestant to employ.

Just because they ended up together and have affection through the shared experience doesn't mean they are in love.

I always got the impression that Katniss loved Prim more than anyone else in the world (except maybe her father) and Rue was a close second only because she reminded her of Prim.

I thought she settled with Peeta because she felt guilty (initially) and eventually, that turned to a companion-type of affection. I even got the feeling that Katniss was "meh" about her own kids, too. I just don't think she's capable of completely opening up to anyone, honestly.

Maybe, in her emotionally stunted, PTSD kind of way, she loves him as much as she can.


Jene777 Jeni~ PERFECT description. "I even got the feeling that Katniss was "meh" about her own kids"

You would think with her carrying around the babies for 9months each and the often feeling of wanting to protect the baby, would make her kick in those 'I will do whatever I need to do to care for Prim' feelings for her own children.


Rachel (Miss Perfection) They obviously are not in love. Why else would they marry and have two kids?


Julia It's like Finnick said when Katniss asked him if he loved Annie right away. "No. She snuck up on me." Peeta always loved Katniss, but it took Katniss longer to realize that she loved him back.


message 29: by Jeni (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jeni Rachel wrote: "They obviously are not in love. Why else would they marry and have two kids?"

Marriage (and children) and love are not mutually inclusive.


Rachel (Miss Perfection) Jeni wrote: "Rachel wrote: "They obviously are not in love. Why else would they marry and have two kids?"

Marriage (and children) and love are not mutually inclusive."


good point. I should probably elaborate but I'm too busy reading:)


Jene777 Rachel~ What are you reading? I started Divergent last night.


Rachel (Miss Perfection) I love Divergent! Right now I'm reading Nightshade by Andrea Cremer as someone recommended it to me along with Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen and 1984 by George Orwell.


Jene777 Rachel~ I'm so glad to hear you loved it. I get so distraught when I put a lot of time/energy into a book and find I hate it half way through. I really liked 1984. Love books that make you think. Sense and Sensibility is one of my next on the big list. Have you read Jane Eyre?

I finally finished the Hunger Games trilogy last week and was recommended Divergent as a good transition from the Hunger Games "high".


message 34: by Jeni (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jeni I adore anything by Jane Austen so I truly hope you will love S&S as much! I'm currently reading the Handmaiden's Tale. Strange and compelling, so far.


Rachel (Miss Perfection) I haven't read Jane Eyre yet. I'll probably read it this summer for my summer reading assignment. I like Divergent better than The Hunger Games.


message 36: by Rachel (Miss Perfection) (last edited May 31, 2013 01:56PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Rachel (Miss Perfection) Jeni wrote: "I adore anything by Jane Austen so I truly hope you will love S&S as much! I'm currently reading the Handmaiden's Tale. Strange and compelling, so far."

I love Jane Austen too! I've read P&P and Emma so far


Helen Lindsey wrote: "Smiles wrote: "ahem ahem ahem..... [spoilers removed]"

She couldn't exactly tell him the opposite now could she ?"


She could have.. At that point, she could have stay alone like her mentor. She could have ended alone by choice.The book says that she grew together again with Peeta. Of course, the book will keep some gaps so we can start guessing and wondering about the nature of their relationship. Is it love???? Is it necessity? At the end we decide. But, it is clear to me that she did have a choice at the end..


Katie Unfortunately Katniss loved Peeta:(


Shy bubbles Julia wrote: "It's like Finnick said when Katniss asked him if he loved Annie right away. "No. She snuck up on me." Peeta always loved Katniss, but it took Katniss longer to realize that she loved him back."

I can totally agree with u


Jasminum I think, Katniss didn't love Peeta...


message 41: by Gracie (new) - added it

Gracie De Lira I believe that from the start Peeta was always in love with Katniss, however Katniss was not. Ever since the first book Peeta shows his love to Katniss but Katniss never being in love and living in the conditions of the capitol never wants to be in love or have children. However after everything they went to together i think Katniss ended up loving him. She learned that no one would be there like he was or love her like he did. Peeta risked everything for her, he risked his life and was was willing to lose his family as well. In the end it came to a point were she had to risk herself for him but he did not allow that after Peeta being brainwashed she realized how much she loved him and couldn't live without him. They had a strong and powerful connection therefore i think she did love him.


Valerie I felt Peeta was more in love with Katniss than she was with him. I think her fist love was Gale and always would be.


SpreadYourWings I think Katniss was forced into an awkward relationship with him. Since they were named the star crossed lovers and the victors, she couldn't just leave him and go to Gale. Personally I think she lived Gale but let the world choose Peeta for her."


message 44: by Andisha (new)

Andisha Katniss did not love Gale, she felt obligated to Gale there's a difference. She loved him as a person but not romantically. Could she have love him romantically? In a different life maybe. Although I don't think their personalities would be suited to each other. They'd always be fighting. She obviously loved Peeta. In fact somewhere around book two she definitely fell in love with Peeta but she couldn't/wouldn't allow herself to act on, or even think about those feelings. She didn't feel like she lived in a world where it was okay to do that. She didn't feel like it was fair to Gale who she felt like she owed for multiple things. And vice versa she felt a relationship with Gale would not be fair to Peeta who loved her so. When Gale had a hand in the thing that killed Prim that feeling of 'owing' broke. While he may not have killed Prim she could never look at him again without being reminded of the death of her sister.


Maria I feel that Katniss had a difficult time admitting her feelings, for so long it was dangerous and even impossible for her to feel safe saying the words that the Capital could take away. With her sister alone she was afraid of even bringing too much attention before and after the games. Falling in love with Peeta was something that happened gradually as the "boy with the bread" became something more in her heart and later the only person to understand the madness and insecurity and fear that the games left imprinted on her. So, do I think they are in love? Yes, Peeta gave her a reason to live and continue with his kindness and goodness they both made it through. Gale? We'll I never thought of them as something more because he had his own needs to fulfill and no one not even Katniss would do it for him. He was too ambitious and craved a form of "justice" to those who did wrong for the wrong reasons. Still hate Katniss mom, though.


message 46: by Ale (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ale Vázquez Jene777 wrote: "Sara - that's what I felt too. I guess after all the stress they underwent maybe they couldn't ever truly fall in love. I mean, they described Peeta grabbing the back of a chair still to control hi..."

that's the thing they ended up together because they were both left alone. It looked forced, empty and boring. They learned to love eachother because they could't do anything else with their lifes.


message 47: by Star (new) - rated it 5 stars

Star Fouse Katniss only wanted Peeta because he could bake like a BOSS!


Shy bubbles I really would loved if the author could of described it a bit more, I am confuse:/


Celestina I think that they really loved eachother. The reason why Katniss didn't want to have kids with Peeta is that Katniss never really wanted kids. That has nothing to do with Peeta, she just didn't want them.


message 50: by Ale (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ale Vázquez They didn't have anyone else to love, anyone else to be with, so being together was better than nothing.
Peeta was in love with her and she was just sotocked with him, she cared about him but like the way you care for someone you know.


« previous 1 3
back to top

all discussions on this book | post a new topic


Books mentioned in this topic

Mockingjay (other topics)