Discuss @ Carroll County Public Library discussion

Killing Lincoln: The Shocking Assassination that Changed America Forever
This topic is about Killing Lincoln
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Celebrate America > Killing Lincoln book discussion

Comments (showing 1-14 of 14) (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie (last edited May 22, 2013 08:56PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Angie knight (angie01) | 16 comments This summer we will be discussing Killing Lincoln by Bill O'Reilly. Feel free to contribute to the discussion. Here are some questions to get us started.

What are some new things that you have learned from reading this book?

What do you think might have happened differently if the assassination had happened today? Would it have been easier or harder to catch Booth?

Stella Fouts (StelMar) | 5 comments Of course it would be easier to catch Booth in today's times because we'd know exactly where he was as he'd be using his cell phone while in hiding, and we'd track him down that way. And
we'd have the blow-by-blow posted on youtube as he was chased across the fields. ;-)

Angie knight (angie01) | 16 comments True! Another thing I recently read about this book was that some of the details included have proven to be false (Oval Office didn’t exist yet, Booth didn’t make the peephole into the box, etc.) Did this information negatively affect your reading experience?

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I had a sketchy memory of the pursuit and capture of Booth after the assassination so I thought that part was pretty interesting. Suspenseful as Stella commented!

Jphudgins | 2 comments I don't think that the oval office referred to in the book was the same oval office that was built later. But, regardless of any minor discrepancies, the author did a great job of presenting history in an engaging way, making me feel as though I had a front row seat to these events, while also leaving me with thought provoking questions he didn't answer. I gained a better understanding of the conspiracy plot and the lives of those involved in this drama. Also I had not realized how Booth's pride helped him justify murder as a noble act deserving of praise. It was enjoyable...I didn't want to put it down.

Eva  (BookLover1492) I knew Mary Todd had mental health issues but they were apparently much worse then I ever imagined, if in fact the authors depiction of her is accurate. I am not totally convinced what is fact and fiction in this book. It was an okay read but I thought it sort of rushed through everything. As far as Booth today, he may have been harder to catch because of the increased means of mobility today. Of course, we also have better means of tracking.

message 7: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 6 comments The book left me thinking that it was a shame that Lincoln was killed before he could use his leadership skills to bring this country through the reconstuction of our nation. It also made me feel grateful that medicine has come such a long way. If Lincoln had been shot today he probably would have lived.

message 8: by Peggy (last edited Jul 16, 2013 08:40AM) (new)

Peggy | 3 comments Sandy wrote: "The book left me thinking that it was a shame that Lincoln was killed before he could use his leadership skills to bring this country through the reconstuction of our nation. It also made me feel g..."

Sandy, I haven't read this book yet because I really don't like Bill O'Reilly. I agree that the nation was robbed of a great leader for reconstruction. But I've seen many documentaries about Lincoln's assassination and they say that his wound would have been mortal even today.

message 9: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 6 comments Peggy, after reading the book I realized that they bungled getting him the help he needed in a timely fashion. It was almost ridiculous, according to the book. I agree that I do not approve of the author's political views, but I did think think the book was well researched and worthy of one of the best presidents in our history. I still wonder if things would have benn different today if he had survived.

message 10: by Eileen (new)

Eileen | 4 comments I also approached Killing Lincoln with a certain bias against the author. It was the writing style however, that kept me from reading more than the first few chapter. To be fair, I am not a big history fan, but I found the style and the narration distracting. I see his next book Killing Jesus has arrived. I think I'll pass on that one.

Eva  (BookLover1492) Eileen wrote: "I also approached Killing Lincoln with a certain bias against the author. It was the writing style however, that kept me from reading more than the first few chapter. To be fair, I am not a big his..."
I am with you Eileen. He is a terrible writer.

message 12: by Dave (new)

Dave (Surfer) | 7 comments So when will O'Reilly write a whole book himself; besides an auto-biography?

Stella Fouts (StelMar) | 5 comments Love him or hate him, you've got to admire O'Reilly's ability to market himself using politics AND books. He's got to be a millionaire by now. (Perhaps we're a tad jealous that we're not as successful?)

By the way, I respect the man. I don't always agree with what he's saying, but I respect him for saying it. Isn't that what this country is about? The right to express an opinion?

I do agree that there are better written books out there, but sometimes we need to pick up these kinds of books as a diversion.

Now back to the good book I'm reading right now - The Conversation Begins: Mothers and Daughters Talk About Living Feminism edited by Christina Looper Baker and Christina Baker Kline. Now there's a topic worthy of conversation - feminism.

message 14: by Dave (last edited Nov 30, 2014 05:01PM) (new)

Dave (Surfer) | 7 comments Expressing opinion is one thing; stalking to "trap" a political or celebrity type for ratings, is simply the poorest of form. I cannot respect a person that creates a scenario to get a preplanned result (see his "correspondents on the street" episodes). I would prefer to see O'Reilly use his self described intellect to write a book all by himself. Until then I will not invest any time on his work.
O'Reilly take a clue from Jon Stewart and make an unselfish contribution to the profession that has been so good to you. Speaking from the "Right" is fine, we need solid political discourse from both sides of the aisle not political theatre designed to get ratings and book sales. O'Reilly stop "Killing" and truly create.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.

Discuss @ Carroll County Public Library

unread topics | mark unread