Between the Lines discussion

General Book Discussion > Books Recently Bought

Comments (showing 201-248 of 248) (248 new)    post a comment »
1 2 3 5 next »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 201: by Jason (new)

Jason (JasonCT) | 38 comments Beth wrote: ".25? I need to shop where you're shopping!"

I welcome company Beth :)

message 202: by Lianne (new)

Lianne (eclecticreading) galya wrote: "That's really cool. I want to take Russian Literature courses in college, but it's kind of a downer that books are read in English, because I would personally prefer reading them as original, so I'm not sure if I should. "

I think it depends on who's done the translation if you read it in English (I've read them all in English because my Russian's at the beginniner's level, lol) but I agree about wanting to read them in their original languages *nods*

message 203: by Wendy T (new)

Wendy T I purchased Women Food and God by Geneen Roth at Costco today.

message 205: by Lianne (new)

Lianne (eclecticreading) Before I went to the library to do some research, I decided to pop into a used bookstore nearby to check something out; I ended up walking out with the following:

- Foer's Everything is Illuminated: A Novel
- Waugh's Brideshead Revisited
- Perez-Reverte's The Fencing Master
- Rushdie's Midnight's Children
- Dostoevsky's The Brothers Karamazov

*blushes*

message 206: by galya (new)

galya I got a Strand gift card from one of my old English teachers as a graduation present, and could not wait to start shopping! This time I had some amazing finds that I couldn't be happier with!! Here they are:
- Possession ($1)
- A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man ($0.48)
- Sputnik Sweetheart ($1)
- Elsewhere ($1)
- The Call of the Wild ($0.48)
- In Cold Blood ($1)
- Ivanhoe ($0.48)
- Pudd'nhead Wilson ($0.48)
- Oliver Twist ($1)
- The Handmaid's Tale ($1)
- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo ($11.95)
- some book by John Grisham for my mom ($0.48)

message 208: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) You bought some great books, Gayla and Silver.

message 209: by galya (new)

galya Beth wrote: "You bought some great books, Gayla and Silver."

I was so happy! I usually never find what I really want, and there I got Possession, Sputnik Sweetheart, In Cold Blood, Handmaid's Tail!!! It's amazing. =)

message 210: by Faa (new)

Faa | 5 comments galya wrote: "I got a Strand gift card from one of my old English teachers as a graduation present, and could not wait to start shopping! This time I had some amazing finds that I couldn't be happier with!! Here..."

I'm astounded as I saw the prices for all of your books. It was so cheap. I never got that price here, the cheapest that i've got so far, was $4. and that $4 was for a battered book with broken spine, which was beyond repair- in a secondhand bookstore. how i hope i can shop at your kind of bookshop. the normal price for books here in my country would be around $36 per book (imported book). the local books sell around $15-20. Still, its hard to find such a cheap book like yours and the rest of the members of this discussion. You guys are lucky!

And back to the discussion topic, i bought 4 books last week:
The Forgotten Garden
The Thirteenth Tale
The Viscount Who Loved Me
The Duke And I
* all 4 books for $75 :-(

i'll be reading those as soon as possible.

message 211: by galya (last edited Jul 14, 2010 06:02AM) (new)

galya Faa wrote: "galya wrote: "I got a Strand gift card from one of my old English teachers as a graduation present, and could not wait to start shopping! This time I had some amazing finds that I couldn't be happi..."

Yes, I'm so happy that we have Strand here. I think that would be the one thing I would miss most if I were to leave NYC.
Do you guys have Salvation army? Jason buys his books there (I hope that's correct). =)

I got some more treasures.

The Lovely Bones $1
Interview With the Vampire $0.48
The 158-Pound Marriage $0.48

message 212: by Faa (new)

Faa | 5 comments galya wrote: "Faa wrote: "galya wrote: "I got a Strand gift card from one of my old English teachers as a graduation present, and could not wait to start shopping! This time I had some amazing finds that I could..."

No, we dont have Salvation Army. Not even any bookstores that sell books under $2.However, there are few bookstores with great prices range from $17-$9. I considered myself lucky with those prices. I just have to settle with $32 a book :-(

message 213: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Elizabeth I need to stop buying books. Someone MAKE ME STOP :) lol

The Little Stranger, A Caribbean Mystery, The Captive..

I have a break at work today, and I'm already planning a trip to Barnes and Noble. Whenever I'm upset or whatever, my shopping therapy isn't clothes (that's more like shopping punishment). It's books :D

message 214: by galya (new)

galya Sarah wrote: "I need to stop buying books. Someone MAKE ME STOP :) lol

The Little Stranger, A Caribbean Mystery, The Captive..

I have a break at work today, and I'm alr..."

Hahaha, tell me about it!! And the thing that happens to me is I read library books, but keep on buying books for myself and laying them off for later.

message 215: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Elizabeth Galya, I DO THAT TOO :D hahahaha

message 216: by galya (new)

galya Sarah wrote: "Galya, I DO THAT TOO :D hahahaha"

We need to stop!! :)

message 218: by Maria (last edited Jul 30, 2010 11:46PM) (new)

Maria | 21 comments I bought couple books during this mounth and some books I order.

1. "The Welsh Girl" by Peter Ho Davies
2. "The Various Flavours of Coffee" by Anthony Cappela
3. "The Street of a Thousond Blosoms" by Gail Tsukiyama (bought in June 2010)
4. "English Class + CD" by Maeve Binchy (bought in June 2010)
5. "The Last Concubine" by Lesley Downer (this week I pick up this book)
6. "Women Of The Silk" by Gail Tsukiyama (still order)
7. "The Flying Carpet To Baghdad" by Jaber Hala (still order)

message 220: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) Yesterday I bought:

1. Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy
2. We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver and
3. Finny by Justin Kramon

I also ordered Sweet Farts by Raymond Bean from Barnes and Noble for my 9 year old son since they didn't have it in stock at the store.

message 221: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Oooh you got We Need to Talk About Kevin? I so wanna read that book... heaven knows why. During my 2 month book ban I actually dreamt about buying that book...

message 222: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) It doesn't seem like a book you'd like.

message 223: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) I know. Sometimes I get weird things in my head that tell me to buy books I've never been interested in. It looks good inside, though. I think it's because I've realised I very rarely read things set in today's world, about today's issues...

message 225: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Travels with Charley is very good, I hope you'll like it Eden - I've wanted to get The Giver for a long time but I never see it around in shops.

message 226: by Maria (last edited Aug 13, 2010 05:11AM) (new)

Maria | 21 comments Yesterday I pick up another 2 books which I ordered. 1. "The Flying Carpet To Baghdad" by Jaber Hala, and 2. "Shanghai Girls" by Lisa See.

message 227: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Picking up books is a bad habit for me - got Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World (1 book) by Haruki Murakami, The Silent Cry by Kenzaburo Oe and Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. Oopsie!

message 228: by Jo (new)

message 230: by Vince (new)

Vince (VChile) | 33 comments 3 more (My b'day presents)
Dracula
Tomato Red
The Dramatist: A Novel

message 232: by Vince (new)

Vince (VChile) | 33 comments To finish my "to read this year" list:
To Kill a Mockingbird

message 233: by Alanna (new)

Alanna | 655 comments Vince, congratulations on finishing your list.

message 234: by Vince (last edited Sep 11, 2010 06:49PM) (new)

Vince (VChile) | 33 comments Alanna wrote: "Vince, congratulations on finishing your list."

I should clarify. I've finished purchasing the books I plan to finish this year. See how I'm doing in December before congratulating me. :-)

message 235: by Stuart (new)

Stuart (Asfus) | 45 comments Lauren wrote: "Just bought Howards End by E.M. Forster and When Will There Be Good News? A Novel by Kate Atkinson.

I love buying books in charity shops, they're cheap, they're near..."

I liked the latter novel, still to read the former.

message 236: by galya (new)

galya While me and my boyfriend were walking around the neighborhood, we accidently stumbled onto a street book sale. Books for $1 or $2. Better than Strand, I tell you!! Within a minute I found a book I've always wanted to read and have, because I simply am in love with the movie - The Notebook; and a book that has been catching my eye on this website - The Joy Luck Club. Both very good conditioned paperbacks, all for 2 bucks! Mind you, some of the books there were pretty much new. Guess who's gonna be the new all-time customer? :)

message 237: by Stuart (new)

Stuart (Asfus) | 45 comments I just bought Storm Frontby Jim Butcher the other day

message 240: by galya (new)

galya Those are some good finds! Where did you shop?

message 241: by Vince (new)

Vince (VChile) | 33 comments galya wrote: "Those are some good finds! Where did you shop?"

Barnes & Noble-lots of sales online.

message 242: by Lianne (last edited Dec 30, 2010 12:51PM) (new)

Lianne (eclecticreading) On Book Depository, I recently bought:

Muriel Barbery's Elegance of a Hedgehog (my own copy)
Sebastien Jaspirot's A Very Long Engagement
Tracey Chevalier's Girl With a Pearl Earring
Hans Fallada's Alone in Berlin

And today I was at the bookstore and bought:
Chris Evans's The Light of Burning Shadows
Wm. Paul Young's The Shack

xD

message 243: by Alanna (last edited Dec 30, 2010 01:22PM) (new)

Alanna | 655 comments My library is selling hardbacks for $1.00 so I bought:

The Horse Whisperer by Nicholas Evans
Telex from Cuba: A Novel by Rachel Kushner
The White Queen by Philippa Gregory
Audition: A Memoir by Barbara Walters
Songs Without Words by Ann Packer

I didn't get to check all the shelves so I will be going back!

message 244: by Lianne (new)

Lianne (eclecticreading) I picked up Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book and Neal Stephenson's Anathem today when I went to the bookstore. Am in a complete sci-fi/fantasy kick lately xD

message 246: by Rita (new)

Rita (RitaLB) This group is just for you guys:
Book Buying Addicts Anonymous:
http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/2...
:-)

message 247: by Lianne (new)

Lianne (eclecticreading) My recent purchases include Charles Stross's Singularity Sky, Jack McDevitt's Chindi, Carlos Ruiz Zafon's The Midnight Palace and 3 comic books from Whedon's Serenity series =)

message 248: by Maria (new)

Maria | 21 comments Yesterday I bought book "Fly Me to the Moon" by Alyson Noel.

1 2 3 5 next »

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Reader (other topics)
Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World (other topics)
The Pilgrimage (other topics)
The Winner Stands Alone (other topics)
American Wife (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Paulo Coelho (other topics)
Curtis Sittenfeld (other topics)
Adrian Tchaikovsky (other topics)
Kate Atkinson (other topics)
Edward M. Kennedy (other topics)
More...