Readers and Reading discussion

Book Miscellany > Olive Kitteridge Wins Pulitzer

Comments (showing 1-8 of 8) (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

JoAnn/QuAppelle | 1608 comments Mod
Elizabeth Strout wins Pulitzer Prize

Rank outsider Elizabeth Strout has won the 2009 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction with her novel, Olive Kitteridge. Strout beat a pack of literary heavyweights, including Philip Roth, John Updike, Toni Morrison, Annie Proulx, Jhumpa Lahiri, and the hot favorite Marilynne Robinson.

Set in a small town in Maine, Olive Kitteridge binds together 13 short stories. Olive Kitteridge, a retired schoolteacher, hates change but rarely notices the changes taking place around her.

Strout was raised in small communities in New Hampshire and Maine. The Pulitzer judges said the book "packs a cumulative emotional wallop, bound together by polished prose and by Olive, the title character, blunt, flawed and fascinating."
=====================================
Favorite Fiction was soooo cutting-edge in choosing this book as one of its 2008 top favorites!

Linda Read this for a book group and have to admit, Olive made for quite a lively discussion.

Sherry (sethurner) (sthurner) I started listening to Olive K. in audio format and wasn't engaged. But now I guess I'll just have to try again, probably in print format.

RNOCEAN | 93 comments I loved this book, and I loved the main character, Olive Kitteridge.

Patricia | 10 comments Thanks JoAnn, Olive Kitteridge is my next read after I finish Middlesex.

Patricia

RNOCEAN | 93 comments As I said before, I loved this book and I grew very fond of Olive!

Sherry (sethurner) (sthurner) On the way to Madison yesterday we listened to "To the Best Of Our Knowledge" on the radio. It was Jim Fleming interviewing Elizabeth Strout and Marianne Robinson at last years Wisconsin Book Festival. I found both women to be thoughtful and interesting. It may be available to listen to online.

JoAnn/QuAppelle | 1608 comments Mod
I think this is the interview, Sherry....

http://podcastdownload.npr.org/anon.n...

Thanks for mentioning it!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Olive Kitteridge (other topics)